Scottish Runners

29,541 to 29,560 of 33,380 messages
27/10/2012 at 23:14

good luck everyone for tomorrow!

Im much better today, just slightly sore and tight in chest still. Went out for a walk earlier, did some housework and managed a short turbo - finally have it back!! (just a steady pedal to get the legs turning! Nothing too strenuous!!).Signed up last night for accreditation at the new Velodrome as well, althoug its not til the end of November as they are so busy! Cant wait though!!

Taking it relatively easy again tomorrow... bf got on well at XC today, but came back with my cold... Ooops!!

Oooh and meant to say Oscar Pistorius is visiting Glasgow on 12th November (my birthday as it happens!!) so will hear him give a speech and may even get to meet him!!!

Dude, did u not used to have a picture?

IJ, yeah good to see you too, tbh think the whole thing has been working on me since Kirki... although cant be sure. Just glad to be on the mend mostly.

28/10/2012 at 11:44

Glad you're feeling better UTC - don't overdo the housework though!

28/10/2012 at 12:17

no danger of that Alison

off into town shortly (walking in and back) and to get some new pics for the flat!

28/10/2012 at 15:20

A'noon

UTC: Glad you're feeling better. An early Happy Birthday for when it comes.

28/10/2012 at 17:14

Hi all- back from Lanzarote 2 days ago- boy it's hot there- how anyone manages any sort of running, let alone an ironman in those temps escapes me!.

Sorrry to hear you're ill UTC- I can't make any obvious diagnosis over t'internet, but sounds like grounds to visit the GP if not settling.

FFB- I think I'll be doing glen ogle at about your pace- just over 6 hours for me last year, and I'm even less trained this year! hope the weather is picks up again before the race.

28/10/2012 at 23:32

Managed to dodge the rain for a run today, rest of the day was pretty dreich though.

Elspeth - my wife has finished working in Hoy but does have 4 weeks there as a locum before the new guy comes in and then a couple of weeks over Xmas and New Year on North Ronaldsay . So I'll be visiting a few more times at least!

29/10/2012 at 06:42

morning

feeling much better, just feels like a cold now thank god.

Back to training tonight. and work today....

29/10/2012 at 07:35

Morning all

well that was Jedburgh. it seems to be made entirely of mud. i'm advised this is because of the clay soil. a very very tough race, quagmire in places, even on the eildons. tough to get going, and running/walking was near impossible. the hills were the easiest bit!

still a cracking event, and i'd love to come back and try the route in summer with less mud. a very varied and interesting course, run by friendly and enthusiastic volunteers. few issues regarding markers and it sounds as if I wasn't the only person to get lost on more than one occasion and I heard they run out of water, but i'm sure these issues can be ironed out for next year.

any ambitions about time quickly went out the window and, although i was disheartened briefly, i quickly noticed that I was passing some very good and experienced ultra runners on the way in, and i decided that in events such as these, times are relative. 7.20 or thereabout.

I hope TP had a great race, and everyone else had a fun weekend. glad you are o the mend now UTC.

29/10/2012 at 09:18

Well done Dude  

I too feel as if I have a cold starting which is a bit disastrous as I have Glen Ogle at the weekend. I am really hoping it is just a sniffle.

Also found out at the weekend that only 4 British women have done the antarctic ice marathon, and only 2 British women have completed the 100k, and only 1 the double. There are 3 british woman participating this year not sure if any are doing the 100k or the double, So, it looks like I would be the first Scottish woman to do the double

29/10/2012 at 09:31

WOW!

29/10/2012 at 16:08

Afternoon all

Back from Jedburgh after a lovely drive across though the Ettrick Forest and back up the motorway from Moffat, amazing colours on the landscape.

Well done on your time Dude, that is stonking for that course.

Wow that was a tough old race, hard hard hard, with all the mud and hills, and what was Eildon 1 (North) like with all that mud? A lung bursting climb. Sliding uphill anyone?  Eildon 2 tough, scrambley-rocky and very windy on the top, then Eildon 3 a total doddle and a lovely springy peaty descent back down into the forest.

After that I had to haul ass between 22-28m, as I was initially doing okay, but then lost a lot of time slithering about on the slopes of Eildon 1, in order to make it back to Maxton for the cut-off....that 10m stretch from Rhymers to Maxton seemed to go on forever, and I didnt think I was going to make it. Doing the Neptunes Staircases twice did not amuse a Tiger !! I overtook a few folks on that last few miles so I dont know whether they got pulled or were allowed to continue after 3pm. Anyhow got in by the skin of my shorts, but near knackered myself doing it.

Last 10m after that back over the same ground we covered on the way out was tough, mud was really draining the legs, and I kept seeing stuff from earlier and trying to work out how far there was to go. Got the headtorch out just as it was going twilight-ish - thank goodness because I then entered the next section of forest and it was pitch black!! Very hard going, muddy, couldnt see much of he ground really,although headtorch cut a good beam into the trees, quite a spooky forest - everynow and then I would scare up a pheasant Wooooooop woooop woop!! (Holy sh!t ) I wish they wouldnt do that .

Finally out onto the back road that the half mara uses, short stretch of wood, then the main road into Jedburgh. Dragging ass, managed to run the last stretch in, met the organiser, made it by the skin of my teeth. A very tough race, I was out there for the full 10hrs, thank God I had the head torch, did about 1hr 40m in total pitch darkness. There were apparently a few people behind me they were still waiting for - I hope they had headtorches!!!

I thanked the organiser for a great race , I thought the course marking was excellent and I didnt get lost once, even in the pitch dark (which is quite something for me on ultras!). Really got the impression they pulled out all the stops to make this a success. Only thing I would say was from a safety point of view, that last 10m stretch was a hell of a way for them to not know where people were in the dark, not really chance to put in an extra CP, so a compulsory mobile phone and the RO's number would have been good to have - even just to say, okay I'm pushing close to the time but I'm only 2m away etc.

Fantastic training run, and great for building strength. Not too bad today, just tired and sore ankles from the twisting about in the mud, few days rest now I think.

29/10/2012 at 16:45

Hiya TP.

epic run! and epic report. it was quite a day. you were right about eildon 1. i think it broke a few people. well done for finishing and making those cut-offs

the real problem with the mud was that, any stretch that had firm ground I felt I really had to run hard (including up hill) to make some hay because i knew i would lose time in the quagmire.

like you, i feel I will be the stronger (physically and mentally) for the experience

Great to take part in a new event though, very good vibe.

29/10/2012 at 17:00

Wow Dude and TP well done, sounds a really tough one! Not too keen on total quagmires.

FFB - well it's taper time so hopefully the cold will co incide with a needed rest and full of energy for GO!

Dark finishing work at 4.30, not happy!

57.5 Christmas and New Year in North Ron - not so sure I'd fancy that!

29/10/2012 at 17:29

Thanks elspeth. it was quite the adventure

who is all running glen ogle? (not me)

29/10/2012 at 17:32

Dude - I'm a great believer in 'muscle memory' - I think if you have put yourself through an event like that, next time you are out there and it gets tough, both mentally and physically, you know you can do it. And easier races are a gift.

Elspeth - agree re. North Ronaldsay! Nothing for company but the sheep !

I think I might be needing to buy new trail shoes fairly soon !!

29/10/2012 at 17:36

Elspeth - I don't fancy both Xmas and New Yr there either, so it'll be Xmas in Glasgow with the parents then a hair raising winter flight north for whatever passes for Hogmanay on the island.

Did my first pre-work run in a long time today, we were meeting with the parkrun UK director (Tom Williams if anyone listens to Marathon Talk) yesterday evening and had an easy run round the course with him today. At least our park was looking its best in the autumn colours.

29/10/2012 at 17:41

TP - clearly my muscle memory isn't up to much. it has already forgotten the pain of yesterday and im already considering my next ultra

29/10/2012 at 17:44

Well done TP. Great report too. Sounds like a blast, tough, but  a blast.

So, training run ditched in favour of downing effervesent vitamins, a goot protein r and omega3 tea and then cosy by the fire followed by a bath and a toddy.

29/10/2012 at 17:57

evening

well done Dude and TP!!! What a race that sounds like!! Kinda fun but in an evil way!! Brilliant report TP!! (Wouldn't expect any less... rather short for you mind you).

Im off to the gym tonight. Still feel a bit chesty so dont want to be out in the cold. Although, a lovely cycle to/from work actually. Very calm.

Good luck for GO all those taking part this weekend!!

Right, I'd best be off!!

29/10/2012 at 19:12

Lol Dude - yeah I know what you mean . I keep telling myself not to do any more races this year, but.........

Thanks all.

UTC - Oi!!! Short and to the point . Eight miles of road and 30 miles of mud, that about covers it really .

Hope all these colds are shaken off quickly. Funnily enough I felt a bit rough last week, taper cold.......

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.