Scottish Runners

29,601 to 29,620 of 33,449 messages
01/11/2012 at 14:00

Cragchick - that does sound like a good idea to enter both. What are the odds on UTMB? Something like 1 in 4, or 1 in 5 on the first attempt at entry? I've heard it is much harder to get into these days because of the numbers interested. Probably why they have increased the point requirement as time has gone on. WHW definitely good to have as a back up 'big' race .

Now theoretically, if all goes well next year, I would have the points for UTMB 2014  LOL Nooooooooooo.............flat races, flat races .

01/11/2012 at 14:41

Yeh, quite interesting that my experience qualified me for the Antarctic but WHW

Not wanting to sound like a grouch, but I do think there is a certain element of who you know when it comes to WHW. But I am really happy and excited about antarctica. It is going to be mega, but very scary .

UTC - if it is meant for you it won't go by you. An old saying but so true. You did a good interview so can hold your head high.

Grant, if you are going to make it a bit of a break at cape wrath, you could do a couple fo the other runs too

01/11/2012 at 14:44

oh dear. i don't know anyone! :S

01/11/2012 at 15:03

FFB - will take a look and run it by the boss

01/11/2012 at 16:30

FFB - yeah I know exactly what you mean, I get that impression with the Devil race too, although maybe not to the same extent . I still think you are bonkers though .

01/11/2012 at 19:47

Evening folks

Thats the Glen Ogle stuff packed

I'm defo not entering the WHW this year. Don't want to 'slog it out' year after year, on to pastures new The entry sounds very long-winded, but the last two years have been a case of giving everyone a place who qualified with a view to there being enough drop-outs by June to leave a reasonable start number. Good luck with the entry Dude & cragchick.

Sorry about the interview UTC

01/11/2012 at 20:07

Evening

TC: Sorry that your interview didn't go well.

Just back from younger sons parents night. It went okay.

cragchick: Sorryto hear that you've got teh cold now.

01/11/2012 at 20:22

Enjoy Glen Ogle Mrs Mac - say hello to the Dreadnaught for me!

Just been in at work for hours so missed running group tonight.  Ah well better luck tomorrow.

01/11/2012 at 20:40

Grant - Cape Wrath is a great week!
Did HM and Full (my first) last year
Had been a supporter/hanger on previousyear when Elspeth was doing marathon
My pace is similar to yours going on your 10k time.
Great atmosphere and the post marathon ceilidh is worth going for alone!

01/11/2012 at 20:52

Mrs Mac - good luck at Glen Ogle . I would probably try for an entry for WHW myself if it wasnt for the support crew requirements, which I would find difficult to fullfil. This is why I like the Centurion races, okay they cost slightly more to enter, but they are fully supported. I have a sneaky plan with the WHW to 'do it myself' one year though .  

Good luck also FFB, Tricia, who all else is going to GO?

Brrrr, its freezing out....looked like sleat earlier . Made a huge cottage pie for tea YUM!!!

01/11/2012 at 21:21

Just been out walking Geordie. He was 'asking to go out' again !

01/11/2012 at 21:22

I'm packed too, but have no idea what I will end up wearing. Too much food too, but no idea what I will want. Going to pop into Mhor Fish on way up, got B&B in Strathyre, hoping to reguster in the pub tomorrow night.

01/11/2012 at 21:37

I was the same ffb! Enough food for the whole field

02/11/2012 at 06:00

Morning and a bit cold when out.

Morning Tri

TP: Used to love cottage pies when a youngster.

02/11/2012 at 07:05

morning BM

sciatica flared up again although not as bad as before. still struggled to sleep though, woke 5-6 times through the night.

Study day at Victoria Inf again so need to head all the way to the south side which is a pain. Should hopefully be half day though and heading for a long swim after as it seems to help. Might fit in a turbo if the pain is ok.

Some brufen and bio-freeze and I'll be off this morning.

Good luck all GO runners!!! I'll hopefully get back to some running soon.

02/11/2012 at 08:26

Hope the sciatica clears UTC. It is horrible.

Cottage Pie, still a family favourite. Mt FFB could just keep eating it til he exploded

Think I may need to try and pick up some extra gloves. I seem to have lost a pair and pair I have are thermal but sometime not quite thermal enough. No water proof trousers, but I don't do waterproof trousers.

Should really get a move on with finding my kit sponsors so that I can trial the kit over the winter.

02/11/2012 at 09:28

Other Half - thanks for the additonal info. I think I am going to brave the HM.

Sounds like it will be fun. Thanks Everyone.

A 3 mile run to work this morning, quite pleasant, not as cold as yesterday.

02/11/2012 at 11:51

Agree the Antarctic Marathon sounds waaaay more exciting than anything else up for grabs at the moment, I must say, when my kids are a bit older and more self-sufficient I'd LOVE to do some more far-flung races ... more  now it's enought to sort out logistics in the UK and Europe

Cold is on the way out but lungs are shot, 3.5 run round Culbin turned in to half run, half power-walk - bah, that's me out of Cross Country in Inverness tomorrow - NOT IMPRESSED!  Orienteering with the kids at Brodie tomorrow morning - trialing of area ready for World Championships next summer, so might do a short course of that instead. If I am forced not to run cos of lungs I might not get so lost!! And me a mountain leader and supposed to be able to read a map!!

Flat racing - nope, definitely not for me

Sciatica is grim, ibuprofen is a good start and lots of stretching? I used to find climbing agravated mine sometimes, esp if I had stiff muscles from running.

Good luck for the OGLEs this weekend weather is still looking fine I think ...

Right, off to transfer all my info from a word doc into WHW race application ... I think as I'm not hung up on it, I wont stress if I don't get in.  Only reason I'm applying for UTMB is because I actually DO have enough points, may never happen again!

02/11/2012 at 11:53

and cottage pie is v popular in this household, kids and adults alike!

02/11/2012 at 14:27

Afternoon all

Turned into a lovely day after a hideous wet start - even the puss wouldn't go out!!

Had a good run, lovely in the woods in the sunshine, and saw a deer, ran straight across my path .

Cragchick - I think you are actually perfect for UTMB with your mountaineering background . If anyone on here can complete it, you can. I used to hillwalk a lot, but these days I just want to run (and cycle when I get the chance). I know if I managed to get into a race like that for me personally it would just end up being one big long walk  , so my plan is enter the flatter races (a few hills are okay, like at Jedburgh at the weekend ), then at least I can get chance to run some of it, rather than it being one long slog .

Ultras are funny actually, a run / walk strategy is definitely a good thing, but I can get soooooo hacked off with the walking parts  LOL after the 100 this year I was cursing walking anywhere !!!

Oh yes winter food season is upon us . Good time for roasts now its getting colder too . Last nights cottage pie had red wine in the sauce, which I simmered down before combining everything together.....YUM YUM.

Happy racing everyone and good weekends to all .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.