Scottish Runners

29,641 to 29,660 of 33,588 messages
05/11/2012 at 06:31

Well done Mrs Mac and Alison

05/11/2012 at 06:40

Morning FFB

05/11/2012 at 07:39

morning BM and FFB

well done all Glen Oglers, Mrs Mac thats a great time!!! Well done Alison too!! GO sounds a nice one... maybe for next year....

Shattered this morning, not a great sleep.

Turbo and swim tonight. Taking 1 more week with no running just swimming, stretching and strengthening, with the turbo as some cardio, and making sure Im fully over things and back to health. Seeing as Ive had a run of bad luck lately I just feel I need some time to properl recover and sort myself out.

05/11/2012 at 11:02

wor lass was asking if the Glen Ogle race is that 'nice place in Monarch of the Glen'

05/11/2012 at 18:01

Thanks for the 'well dones'. Well done Mrs Mac too.

Good to see Andy Murray win today (well, didn't see it, but followed online).

05/11/2012 at 18:13

Evening

Good running Mrs Mac and Alison .

Followed some of the Southside Six route yesterday, did about 11m of it before turning back on a circuit, didnt see any runners, but did see the marshalls at some of the road junctions. Didnt realise they took them up the really steep section of hill at Eastwood Toll on the A77 - I run that hill lots, but it would be mean at that point in a race !! Very hard route altogether.

No running today, lots of work to do, puss has settled on his new radiator bed, cosy cat - feel like shoving him over and snuggling in, freezing tonight !!!

Highland Fling entry now in , considerably earlier than this year, where I entered the week before !

05/11/2012 at 19:34

Hello

Thanks for the 'Well dones' Really am chuffed at how I ran, I CAN still do it

ffb, I reckon you may be the lady who ran with the lovely Robin? I missed him completely and it would've been nice to meet you. Next time

UTC, it is a cracker of a race. Good to hear you're being sensible and recovering.

Nice one TP, see you there Now just to persuade Elspeth.......

05/11/2012 at 19:48

Yes, Mrs Mac I ran with the lovely Robin  We had a blast.

Just want to say that the no stretching and copious amounts of alcohol recovery approach is not to be recommended (

Race report to follow after I deal with the cat on the lap situation.

05/11/2012 at 20:15

Glen Ogle Race Report.

Arrived in Strathyre about 7.30 on Friday evening after a stop at the Mhor Fish cafe in Callander. It was a cold and damp evening. The B&B was lovely; warm, cosy and welcoming. We had a large room with en suite bathroom with a lovely big bath. The landlady said she would get up early to provide breakfast at 6am: result!

There was one other runner staying there; a lovely lady called Theresa from Minnesota, who was running her 1st ultra whilst touring Scotland.

We then toddled a few hundred yads to the pub where I was able to register. We had a chat with Bill and Mike a some of the the other runners. We stayed for one drink, soft in my case and then headed back to the B&B, where I made up my drop bags and had an early night. The enormouse bed was one of the comfiest I have slept in. I did manage a bit of sleep in spite of the pre race nerves.

Got up just before 6 and headed downstairs for a breakast of scrambled egg on toast, fresh fruit, tea and a freshly baked scone. Then it was back upstairs to sort out clothes. Opted for long tights with a number of layers on top including a light weight merino top. The off to the registration area at the campsite in time to put my drop bags in at about 7.30am. It was not quite light,damp, cold and icy with snow on the hills and some low cloud.Hung about taking in the atmosphere and speaking to a few folk. Race brief at 7.50 which I could not hear as I was stood at the back. The marshalls then walked us over the road to the start on the forestry track. We were off

05/11/2012 at 20:42

Glen Ogle part 2.

We set of up hill immediately. I started off running, but then decided to stick with plan and slowed to a walk. We climbed steadily and followed the track up behind the village. It was a bit demoralising having to walk so much at the start  but it spread the field out. Theresa headed of at quite a clip and that was the last I saw of her until the finish. Trotted along beside Tricialitt for a brief time before she also headed off  I then spotted an old friend, Robin and we fell into step and joked about which of us would be last . We stayed together for the rest of the race.

After about 3.5 miles we dropped down off the track and arrived at Checkpoint 1 next to the Kingshouse hotel. It was quite early for a checkpoint, but I grabbed a pack of jaffa cakes to stuff in my pocket and a couple of sandwich quarters. I ate one of the sandwiches, took some energy drink as I wanted to be sure to take on energy in small quantities regularly. I used egg mayo sandwiches this time. It was really successful. They slipped down easily and sat well in my stomach. We joined the cycle path along the old railway line and headed off towards Lochearnhead. It was cold and a bit icy in places, and there was a fairly heavy shower as we covered that section, but that was the only rain. We ran all of this section through the lovely woods.

Robin chattered away and I got a chance to hear about his WHW experience which was great. Just short of Lochearnhead we had a steep climb with a couple of hairpins to take us between to the two railway lines and onto the Glen Ogle section. Needless to say, we walked that section and made the most of the views over the loch. Each time we walked we took on a little energy. The water in the feed tube of my water bladder froze  Once up on the Glen Ogle section we decided to run 12 mins and walk  3 right along that section to check point 2. Although it looked flat it was a steady but very gradual incline. We reached check point 2 ahead of schedule. That was a big refuel stop and I had some rachels far organic creamed rice, another sandwich and stiffed some gels in my pocket and bag.

05/11/2012 at 20:59

Glen Ogle part 3.

Checkpoint 2 was roundabut 12 miles. We then crossd the road and headed towards the loop round Acharn Forest. This was when the front runners started to pass on thir way back.

After a quick pit stop in the trees I caught Robin again and we settled into a steady run on a long downhill and flat section, knowing that a serious climb was coming. After a hairpin turn we were on the clmb. We lakd morethan we had hoped in this section and I had a rough patch at about 15 miles. A gel and a few swigs of energy drink and I felt better. Mike had said to remember to look behind n the way up through the forest; we remembered an it was well worth it. What stunning views . It was very cold round that section especially as we reached the highest point, and I really felt it through my lower back and hips. Again, stunning views across to Ben Lawers and Tarmachan covered in snow. We finally dropped back down and back to the checkpoint. We were joined at this point by a friend of Robin's who ran with us back down Glen Ogle and a bit beyond. Unfortunately we wee a lot slower round this section than we had hoped. At the check point I was given a cup of tea as I was so cold. Had another bit of sandwich, some flat coke and a gel. I was feeling pretty good if a bit stiff and sore. We were on the way back now.

05/11/2012 at 21:13

Glen Olge part 4.

We adopted the 12/3 again and made it back down Glen Ogle and steep drop to the lower line in what seemed like a short time. Robin at this point started to get sore and had to take some paracetemol and walk a couple of longer intervals, but we just kept pressing on. Next thing check point 4 back at the Kingshouse and then just 5.5 miles to go on the road via Balquhidder and into the back of Strathyre.

Mr FFB was there which I had not expected and that gave me a real boost, plus the sun was out  I wolfed into another tub of rice and had a gel loaded with caffeine and coffee (yeuch, but effective). I changed into my road shoes and off we went. This last section undulates and just seemed to go on for ever. I know the road well though and so knew when we were on the last drop down. Then off to the right for a last sneaky switch back before dropping down to the finish. We were so glad to see the last marshall who told us it was only another couple of hundred yards down to the finish. We picked up the pace and over the bouncy bridge to the finish

Slower than hoped but well paced and a great win for me was getting the nutrition right and having good energy levels and banishing the demons of my earlier DNFs.

Overall a great event. Well organised, clearly marked, great encouragement from the sweepers on bikes and very well marshalled. There were laods of marshalls all happy and encouraging  A great job given how cold it was and how long they were out there.

After the finish off to the pub for a free drink and a free and much needed bowl of soup. Back to the B&B for a bath and lie down before returning to the pub to have a meal, a few drinks and to chat with fellow runners about our day.

05/11/2012 at 21:28

Good report FFB .

05/11/2012 at 22:13

great report FFB!! Sounds a great race!!

Turbo for me tonight and lots of core and stretching exercises. Really good.

Swim changed to tomorrow as dont want to overdo it this week before Im fully recovered and end up going back the way. This week will be a step up from last week still but not quite back to full schedule as left hip still slightly tight and uncomfortable. Definite daily improvement though which is good and another reason I dont want to overdo it.

Hope the GO runners are all resting up well!!

06/11/2012 at 06:04

Morning, much milder today.

FFB: Great report.

Morning Tri

06/11/2012 at 06:45

morning BM

it was pretty cold yesterday, glad its milder today

swim tonight.

06/11/2012 at 09:56

Morning All.

Pretty miserable in Edinburgh today, rain and wind, but not cold.

Just entered the Edinburgh Meadows HM in early March. Anyone done it?

Have a good one.

06/11/2012 at 11:47

Morning. I considered the marathon last year Grant, but didnt. didn't fancy the constant looping of the park. but i'd be interested to hear any reports.

i'll run today if I have time. brisk nine-mile loop last night. seem to have to Jedburgh after effects.

06/11/2012 at 11:52

Dude, I know what you mean, it could make you go a bit loopy (no pun intended).

Its a year of HM's for me, its just up the road so thought I would give it a go!

06/11/2012 at 11:57

good plan. lots of good half marathons around. ones i'd recommend are Alloa, Moray, Arran, Coll and loch leven.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.