Scottish Runners

29,681 to 29,700 of 31,027 messages
29/10/2013 at 12:28

Afternoon all. Belated well done to OH. Sounded tough.

Good going with the allotment TP. I love gardening. Our garden not really up to growing useful veges etc, although I do quite well with bags and tubs, but not this year. Too many other things taking up my time 

I'm doing the fling. The Cateran double is a beast of a race. They are only taking a small field this year. The ultra arena in Scotland is really expanding, and I think events like the Cateran double will give the WHW Race a run for its money as it were.

After a lot of thought and soul searching I am not going to apply to WHW Race this year, and it is nothing to do with fitness, experience or ability. More of a pride thing really. However, I am going to apply for the Great Glen event. I am also contemplating Glenmore 24.

Did I say that I was successful with my commonwealth volunteer application? Got a placement in results technology

Also big hint here: Queens baton relay 

Final press release for Antarctic Odyssey went out yesterday, so waiting to see what interviews come up. Got one lined up with the Evening times already. Interview this afternoon, photos on Friday morning.

29/10/2013 at 14:09

FFB - well done on the Commonwealth stuff .

Agree re. Cateran, that is going to be one tough race to complete in that time.

Great Glen looks interesting, but couldn't find many details about next year.

It would be good to see a few more 100's appearing in Scotland...but hopefully with more generous cut-offs for us tourists at the back . Kind of the running equivalent of the cycle Audax or randonneur is more my style .

Now I've done both the 'Half' WHW races, running the full thing in a oner has strangely lost its appeal , not that it had that much in the first place what with the crew issue and the application process . Tbh that whole Rannoch Moor section in the lashing rain this year did my head in - I'm sure its lovely in good weather - but running that in the dark and the rain appeals even less . I think folks can become a bit obsessed with it - it is a massive challenge after all - but there are plenty of alternatives out there these days.

29/10/2013 at 20:35

I am looking at the Great Glen Way next year. You have to sift the Facebook site for info as far as I can see, but running home has appeal. Still haven't heard about an interview for the Games, +ve or -ve. Dentists are clearly the lowest priority .

30/10/2013 at 11:03

Great Glen ultra on FB but also has a website currently under construction. It will be up and running this weekend when entries open. It is an application process like WHW.

Just been looking the Kintyre Way ultra 10th May.

30/10/2013 at 19:41

Hello

Hubby is doing the Cateran double next year, Birthday pressie from me I'm going to enter the WHW again, got demons to lay to rest. It means we can crew for each other and train together too since the races are a month apart.

The Kintyre Way race looks nice too FFB. Too many races, too little time!

adbru    pirate
30/10/2013 at 21:03

Hi,

Sounds like you are all going down the Ultra route !

Struggling to get back into a routine and think I need a focus.......
Would loch ness be a good 'come-back' marathon ??

30/10/2013 at 21:34

Adbru - Loch Ness always a good one and definitely a good come back marathon 

Anorher blog entry from me: night time running

31/10/2013 at 13:48

Afternoon all

Adbru - see this is what happens when you go away for a few years, when you come back we have all succumbed to ultra-madness . Welcome back btw  Loch Ness would be a good one to aim for - plenty of time to train.

MrsMac - that is a great present for MrMac....ermm I think !

I will have to look closer at this great glen race when the website comes up, but I fear it may be too close to NDW for me next year - mebbe one to keep an eye on for the future if it goes well.

Certain races just capture your soul I think, WHW being one of them, with me it was the Thames Path, the idea of a journey from a to b with interesting places along the way. On paper it looks straightforward, but nothing is ever simple over that distance and it is always a mental and physical challenge to cover mileage that seems unimaginable to most people. Sometimes it becomes an obsession, sometimes it is like a gnawing in the back of your brain saying 'do this'. Other times you do a first time race and it has classic in the making written all over it and it gets under your skin so you have to keep going back, other times you can barely stifle a yawn when you read about a certain route or race. Some things, sometimes, just catch us and we know 'We Have to Do That' even if it takes many years to build up the entry points and experience. You will know what yours is when you find it .

31/10/2013 at 13:51

Great Glen Way for me fingers crossed ... hadn't seen the double Cateran option though - hmmm, like the sound of that!!

Back to read later, head in books for last couple of weeks and exam tomorrow, 50/50 feelings on how I'll get on but hey ho, can only do best!!

Back to read proper later so sorry for anything I'm missing.

31/10/2013 at 15:05

Not been on here in a while as away doing races in other celtic parts.
Lots of good long runs going on.
For once I have no race in sight!

Snowdonia Race Report

01/11/2013 at 15:16

Afternoon

Got my GUCR entry form today, so that's it filled out and ready to post . They are doing a 'draw names out of the hat' next week. Not many places (only 60 for unsupported runners) so pretty low odds of getting in on first attempt, but if you don't try you never know . Might just hit it lucky. Its a completely random draw, but people who have applied previous years get extra 'goes' in the hat, so they have a better advantage.

Anyone racing this weekend? Southside 6 is on Sunday, so will be following some of the markers for that probably as they usually put them out on Saturday.

adbru    pirate
01/11/2013 at 20:33

Holy **** TP, I just looked up GUCR !!

I think you were doing the Jurassic the last time I was here, 145 miles !!

I think I'm not quite ready for that after my tough/slow 3 miler tonight

02/11/2013 at 09:35

Wow, that was in 2010 adbru, you've got a good memory . The GUCR is a considerably flatter proposition than the Jurassic coast - although almost twice as long . What it lacks in hills it will make up for in repetition !

Off for a run before the worst of the rain comes on, feels cold today.

02/11/2013 at 14:26
TP 145 miles!!! Are you mad? Would take me a week!

17 miles today, nice still day for it though not much sunshine in fact downright chilly! And just come home and entered the Glen Lyon ultra at the end of the month. Hope it doesn't get any colder!

Adbru - welcome back!
02/11/2013 at 16:38

Glen Lyon - I've been entered too (with my consent!)

02/11/2013 at 17:10

Glen lyon ultra?..................hadn't thought of that!

Oh dear- I keep wanting to enter races, this is bad- so far I am down for an unofficial "fun" 40 miles in loops round strathclyde park in january ( which someone I know off face book/ clydestride recce runs thinks is a good way to celebrate his 40th birthday , and theGE - which I have just calculated is 22 weeks away. Obviously I am also hoping to fit in  clyde stride, either Glen Ogle or speyside way, plus around 3-4 marathons next year. Arghh.

I have had an entire month off running apart from a couple of 5km bimbles- just so I could recover properly from the accumualted niggles of the various marathons and ultras over the last 6 months.

I am going to do a period of base building, with very little fast running, and try to build up to doing 4 runs + 2 cross trainig days per week- I went to my first spin class in years this week- Bit of a shock to the system . I know I need to get more mileage in, but I could feel myself getting closer and closer to injury over the last 3 months, so I am not sure how to build up without getting the same niggles- bought a foam roller for use at home ( usually only use them when at the gym), and a new swim suit- lots of pool running is helpful, I think. So  we'll see.

Now, if only the weather would clear, I'd like to run tomorrow . as well.

02/11/2013 at 17:19

Just 2 places left for Glen Lyon (Smartwool Tigh nam Bodach Ultra Run 50K) Tricialitt ... !
Just looked at course description and wondering "what have I done?!"

03/11/2013 at 07:22

Respect TP

Very busy at the moment - not sure why  Needn't have worried about tapering. It is being rather enforced by all the organisation, logistics and more interviews. Evening times (probably going out the week I go) and STV this coming Tuesday. Not sure if it will go out on Tuesday though

03/11/2013 at 13:37

50k on trails in 2 weeks time would be a bit too much to soon, I think. 

I am just back from a 10 miler - most of it was in glorious crisp sunshine, although a touch blustery- but the last km was in howling winds and very cold/ heavy rain- BRrrrr- just warming up.

FFB- hope all the media stuff is OK- I suppose it is a necessary evil in terms of sponsorship/ fund raising, but still- not exactly relaxing!

TP- GUCR - wow- that's one hell of a race.

We've got the roof being replaced at home just now- so scaffolding everywhere- this is OK, but of course you don't normally have to worry about people peeking in through the bathroom window, 2 floor up, so there's no curtain- but there was a pair of legs wnadering about outside this moring at window lwvwl as we were trying to get up!- will need to be careful otherwise the builders might end up getting an eyeful!

03/11/2013 at 14:17

Nicer day today than yesterday, but very windy for the Southside Six people. Saw the front end of the pack going into Pollok Park just as I was coming out the entrance further down. Speedy.

Lol OH - this is why you should always read the race description before you enter . I saw 'wading through rivers' and 'November in Scotland' and decided it maybe wasn't for me!

FFB - will keep a look out for your STV interview .

Good luck with the builders Tricia !

There is a Half down at Drumlanrig Castle next weekend if anyone is interested - entry on day. Might go down if the weather is dry.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.