Scottish Runners

29,701 to 29,720 of 31,032 messages
03/11/2013 at 14:39
still 4w to go Tricialitt ... !
03/11/2013 at 14:47
it was more the 25+ miles along yellow road from Aberfeldy that was off putting. Am a little more reassured now that I know the road to Killin is passable by vehicle.
03/11/2013 at 17:36

Nice one Elspeth and OH I'm sure it will be a gorgeous run but it was the 'wading' part that put me off too, although after yesterday I'm sure I have webbed feet

tricia, might see you on the January 'fun' run! Still waiting to see how it fits in with other things

Respect indeed TP I'll keep everything crossed you get in.

Will you still talk to the likes of us after being on the TV FFB?

Glen Ogle 33 (actually 31.6!) yesterday. Quite chuffed with an unexpected course PB, especially in the 'challenging' conditions! Back really quite sore now though, perhaps it was a bit silly to start the race when I was already bent double with a muscle spasm on Friday night Ach well, wee rest and it'll be right as rain

03/11/2013 at 21:23

was the river wading that put me off too   Love the idea of the course but I know my circulation just couldn't cope with it. Plenty of snow on the tops already - as I drove down the A9 on Friday to Edinburgh was surprised just how much there was.

Exams passed - yippee, so now I can get back to some running again and actually planning the rest of my pilates classes for the pre-Christmas block. Got my first paying sports massage client tomorrow since we moved up here - nervous/excited!!

Anyway, looking forward to a guilt-free post exam run tomorrow, hope the sniffles I've been fighting bu**er off though.

Wow GUCR - that IS brave. I think totally flat has got to be hard - no respite for the muscles, at least on hilly runs you get to use different muscles throughout.  Put my name in for the Great Glen Ultra, was thinking that £75 sounds a bit steep for a self-supported race really but it's so local I put my 'stingy' head away and went for it anyway. I like the fact it's not first-come-first-served - kind of gets rid of that entry frenzy so common now with all these races advertised on FB.  Agree though, Fling gets bargain race award for sure.

04/11/2013 at 09:51

Well done at GO MrsMac . Hope the back eases soon.

And Well done on passing your exams Cragchick .

Yes, there was something quite nice about filling out a paper entry form for gucr and posting it in, knowing I didn't have to be sitting on the computer at x time trying to beat a few 100 others to a place.

04/11/2013 at 14:53

Not sure if I am reassured that MrsMac, Tigerspaw and Crag chick have all considered and decided against Glen Lyon
14.1 this morning taking in a few hills and trails.
Dry above the knees but weather's getting cold now.

04/11/2013 at 19:14

I am officially a Southern Jessie so that's my excuse

Am glad I put my entry in for Great Glen on Fri eve, they've now changed the entries so that it's first come first served until they reach the maximum number - quite a change from the constant reassurance that no one need rush to enter!!!

Lovely 6-miler this morning in Culbin Forest, proper glorious autumn day with sunshine, blue skies and the colours were fantastic.  Then did my first sports massage in some time - customer seemed pleased I think, well she's signed up for my pilates classes too so not a bad day really!

05/11/2013 at 09:50

Morning

Glorious here today too, but very cold.

What a bizarre decision to take - changing the entry format when it has only been open for 4 days . Perhaps they initially thought they would be inundated - but not many have applied yet because they thought they had a month!

Must do a run today, too good to miss this dry weather.

05/11/2013 at 16:33

They said in the initial blurb that there were not expected it to sell out immediately and no one was to panic, so yes, very strange really!

Another dry glorious autumn run - same forest, different route with a few sandy, mossy hills thrown in. 4.5 miles. Annoyed to see the Forestry are back felling again, this time in the more popular areas - they completed trashed the areas they used last year with the bulldozing tree fellers and then just filled in all the ruts with big lumpy hardcore stuff which is a nightmare to bike/run on. I hope they don't use same approach for this lot as EVERYONE uses these areas - and we pay to park, I have an annual permit, I don't pay £30 for paths I can use!!! Grumpy rant over

Was cold here too - a frost!

05/11/2013 at 18:00

Boo to the hardcore forest tracks CC - horrid rutty stone .

I have it on good authority that FFB will 'go out' on 6 news tonight!

adbru    pirate
05/11/2013 at 19:49

Hi Guys,

Nightmare when the Forestry start felling, always a hell of a mess .
On the bight side there is always plenty firewood left lying that you can take home

3 miles in the woods with a headtorch again tonight, legs very heavy after Sundays LSR (a whole 4 miles !!)

FFB best of luck for your chilly endevours

total mileage for last week was 12.5, slow but steady build up.
I'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks before putting any entries in for next year.

Fabulous but chilly this morning , beautiful colours with the sun over LochinDorb on the way to work

05/11/2013 at 20:36

Lots to catch up on after my annual running and drinking weekend in Oban. Very wet, even for Oban! Had a very scenic trip there on the train however and an even more spectacular ride back to Glasgow by car yesterday. Followed by a lovely drive back to Nairn this morning, also passing a sunny LochinDorb.

The GUCR sounds totally nuts. Especially after reading Debbie Consani's blog about winning it.

Staying in tonight. I have two dogs who hate fireworks so they have no interest in going out with me.

05/11/2013 at 21:55

Didn't Debbie throw herself IN the canal several times!!! I love reading her blog - always entertaining

Lochindorb in the sunshine is always good

Adbru where are you based then if you pass Lochindorb on the way to work? Slow but steady build-up sounds good

Fireworks, did ours on Saturday night at the Forres one, which managed to sneak in between all the horrible rain showers and was the usual grand effort

05/11/2013 at 22:30

Is the logging near Wellhill cragchick? We are supposed to have a group run there Sunday.

Not sure about the GGW Ultra. On the plus side an event with bus out and then run most of the way home appeals, but I can't think why they'd pick a start time of 1am unless the finish is at a pub (it's not!). And pretty pricey too.

05/11/2013 at 22:37

Boo can't get FFB's interview. Missed it live.
Now AVG (antivirus) is blocking both the clip shared by FFB and whole STV site. Suspect it's a false positive

06/11/2013 at 08:00

Morning all.

here is the link to my interview STV Interview

Its interesting when you see what they put out. There was loads more they could have chosen for the soundbites, especially around why i was doing it. Oh, publicity is good. Pity they did not put it out as first scot (male or female) especially as they verified that. Also a bit irksone that they got the numbers wrong: 16 marathons and 6 ultras 

06/11/2013 at 09:44
FFB - still not allowing us to watch that link! Ah well, it must be getting pretty hectic for you. When are you off?

Nice sunny day for a run but full of a cold. Boo!

CC - well done on passing the exam.
06/11/2013 at 09:45

Morning you lot

FFB - yes I was thinking you had done more than that , you must have done 4 ultras this year alone?! Came across as a good package but I was slightly confused as to why the Clyde had waves on it - until I realised you were actually filming in Aberdeen !

Not planning to fall into the canal if I get a place next year ! But I guess you can start veering around after 40+ hours . Someone fell into the Thames the year I was there - god knows how, as we had a clear night and the path was well defined - they must have just fallen asleep on their feet.

This whole starting at 1am business is for WHW practice I reckon - but agreed, makes no sense over a 24hr race . Better to start at 6am IMO - easier to organise transport / accommodation that way too.

06/11/2013 at 12:22

Definitely agree 6am is more civilised in some ways, but I'm a bit of a night owl so staying up until 1am will feel more pleasant that trying to eat breakfast at 4.30-5.00am!!! I agree it is pricy though - considering it's just water on route, self-supported etc.  It's 'only' 20 miles longer than the Highland Fling, and not offering anything above what the Fling offers so not sure how they get the numbers to work. But despite that, because I'm not a very logical being,  I've entered it anyway, only because it'll be cheaper in the long run without any real travel costs and accommodation (although I usually dos in tent).

Yes 57.5, it is at the Wellhill end. Is over the backish of trail 99. There weren't many signs out saying no entry and I don't think they work at the weekends do they so you'll probably be fine. I only came up against a no-entry sign when I was off of the main drag and there was only one. I don't think they've had time to get properly stuck in yet. When I'm on my own I usually ignore them anyway!!

I can remember on my first longer ultra Beacons Ultra (not the maycontainnuts one but the original), it was 45 miles and I was definitely weaving a bit in the dark as I ran/shuffled along the canal into Tal-y-bont.  Am amazed no one did fall in as was sooooo dark in there!

I've got my entry into Highlander Mountain Marathon so need to get focussed on the navigation side of things a bit more and more throwing myself up and down gnarly terrain!

adbru    pirate
06/11/2013 at 13:25

Cragchick - i stay near aviemore and work in Nairn hence the commute via locindorb (car on its roof on the way in this morn - i stopped to check but no-one in it )

Thanks for the welcome back

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.