Scottish Runners

29,761 to 29,780 of 33,212 messages
15/11/2012 at 10:23

Morning everyone

Sounds like a nice run Cragchick, apart from the marshy bit . Cross country where they have taken out forestry trees is a nightmare - many times I have regreted 'short-cuts' when hillwalking !

Ouch 57.5 ! Mince pies and choc sound good . Party at 57's house Yay!!

Mrs Mac - never used tape on my achilles I have to say - mostly been using combination of massage, compression socks and one of the those 'fixed leg' thingies you wear in bed to stretch it out (designed for PF probs) if I have flare ups - keeping the blood flowing with heat and massage seems to do the trick .

lol UTC - bf into the mince pies already .

No xmas cards here yet, although my mom phoned on Saturday and said the weather had been horrid so she had stayed in all day and written her Xmas cards !! How many? She had written 70 !!!! And complained about every one.... she sends them to old neighbours from 20yrs ago and friends of friends she knows from her computer class at the library, collects people to send cards to like some folks collect FB friends . Anyway, it makes me laugh cos she does nothing but complain about it, but its like an addiction, she cannot stop herself . I will get two cards this year....one for me...and one for the cat !!!!

15/11/2012 at 11:21

Hi all

Often read this thread but hardly ever post. Must try harder!!!

Hi cragchick

No running for me since 4 weeks as injured my metatarsal but it is slowly improving and hardly feel the pain when walking now. Therefore I'm hoping to be able to commence running again in December, fingers crossed.

Luckily I,m training for a 24 MTB event so at least I am still doing a bit of cycling! need to try and do a bit more though. Went out into the forest tracks last night for a wee dander and didnt freak masel out too much although did meet a van coming from the others side of the forest where they are tree felling! Went out with the ben wyvis cycle club for the first time last sunday and it wasnt to bad although i was the slow oldie compared to the young, speedy boys!!

57.5- your house sounds like its in a nice area.

15/11/2012 at 11:24

Meant to say also I have used kinesio tape a couple of times on my foot and its helped to support it a fair bit. My freind who is a zumba teacher in Edinburgh swears by it.

15/11/2012 at 13:27

Cloudless blue skies and sunshine here.

waves at RF, I drift in and out of here, along with the ultra pages and of course, the running mums!!

I LOVE mince pies but made myself NOT buy any the other day - must wait for 1 December ... although they are good for refuelling I reckon!

Another lovely run today - East from Lossiemouth, starting on the beach and into the forest and back out again. THis week seems to be mainly about swamps and bogs as I ended up in the middle of the mud flats by the river on the way back. Must look at the map next time!!! Anyway 7 miles

Off to Edinburgh for me tomorrow afternoon - rest of family off to Scotland vs S Africa at Murrayfield whilst I will be attempting to pass my Pilates exam ... feeling OK about the practical but not done enough revision of the rest. Oh well!

15/11/2012 at 14:11

Hello RF - mtb'ing sounds good .

Good luck with your exam Cragchick .

10m for me today, in that smiry misty rain, needed windscreen wipers on the specs , couldnt see where my feet were going, kept treading in huge muddy puddles. Cat was pawing at the door to be let in when I got back - don't think he was enjoying the damp on his fur very much .

15/11/2012 at 14:37

you get exams for pilates?

hi Running Free hi everyone.

a six mile toddle for me.

15/11/2012 at 19:13

Hi RF, is that the 24 hour race near FW? I know a couple of guys who've done it before.

Thanks TP for the achilles advice. I'll try the heat/massage thing. I used to play tennis with a lady who wore glasses and she had a hell of a time playing in the rain

Good luck with the pilates exam cragchick. Is that so you can teach it?

Had a rest from the gym tonight, I've got aches in places I didn't know I had

15/11/2012 at 19:43

Yes, so I can teach it and yes, dude, there are exams. Pilates doesn't have a governing body in the UK and therefore there are lots of variations on the theme, plus the orginal guy, Joseph Pilates never put a copyright on what he did so it's a bit of a free-for-all BUT that said, there is a recognised 'proper' qualification that falls in line with other stuff in the fitness industry, personal training eg (NOT zumba though) so you DO need to know the appropriate anatomy and physiology, HOW to teach stuff without injuring people (it generally attracts the damaged and broken!!) and how to structure it right.  Sorry, bit carried away there

When my achilles plays up (which it has started to do this week) I do give it some really really deep massage when I can bear it, dig my thumbs right in where it hurts!!!

Edited: 15/11/2012 at 19:44
16/11/2012 at 06:01

Morning

4 easy miles

RF: Welcome to our madhouse.

Morning Tri

Catch up time.

16/11/2012 at 06:57

morning BM

good swim last night, building back up again. Good session and some good technique stuff.

then when I got home I started getting the muscle spasms again in my back and ribs. Really painful, but some Biofreeze and massage and stretching later it seemed to settle.

Going to see the Track World Champs tonight at the velodrome, should be fun!! Turbo this morning.

Good luck with the exam Cragchick

16/11/2012 at 09:00

Morning all

Cat up and out at 7am this morning, in the dark ....I went back to bed . At least it is not raining here this morning.

MrsMac - I read somewhere that the achilles does not have a very good natural blood supply, which is why when it gets injured it takes ages to repair, so I figure basically doing anything to increase the circulation and blood getting to it will help .

UTC - maybe you need to see an osteopath to get your lower back snapped back into place? If you have sciatica it could have pushed something else out of alignment. There is a very good one in the Southside if you need a recommendation, a friend of mine went for work-induced issues and has been fine since, some can be *ahem* somewhat dodgy though so be careful who you choose!!

16/11/2012 at 13:28

crag - excellent. let me know when you get up and running, i'll be your first paying punter.

enjoy the cycling UTC. I'm going on Sunday with my nephew.

need a proper run soon. I am fat.

16/11/2012 at 23:35

evening

brilliant night at the velodrome great to see some good GB wins and and an Irish 2nd  Cant wait for my accreditation a week on Monday!!!! You'll have a ball Dude! Take some water though, its very warm!!

TP, thanks for that. Im taking brufen and extra vitamins just now to try boost immune system and help the pain. (Only taking a couple brufen at night though not all the time as I dont need it through the day for whatever reason!).The sports massage helped so I'll be getting more of that soon and am going to visit the docs anyway (even though I dont think they'll tell me anything I dont know...). Then I'll be booking specific physio if I dont get an answer there. Hopefully it will be resolved.

Left bike in town at bfs work so no turbo tomorrow morning but should fit one in after gran's birthday lunch, and will manage a swim in the morning too. Run? Either a gentle attempt at my 5k loop tomorrow or Sunday to see how I fare. Just hope I get a sleep tonight.

16/11/2012 at 23:37

Should have said TP I may wish to consult with an osteopath if I dont get anywhere with dr, physio etc... If you dont mind PMing me the details anyway I'll see how things progress. Thanks  Thats thoughtful!!

17/11/2012 at 18:29

UTC - pm sent, let me know if you dont receive it and I will just post up here .

18/11/2012 at 17:28

where is everyone????

18/11/2012 at 18:37

at the velodrome!

it was dead good. I think I might try to make it as a track cyclist. nothing to it really

18/11/2012 at 19:17

I passed!!

No running though until Weds (will be 5 days of NO RUNNING) - bah - two INSET days now ... am going to purchase a treadmill though - will give me sanity and continuity through school holidays, childrens sickness etc etc!

18/11/2012 at 19:53

Congratulations Cragchick .

Over to West End today and took visiting friend walking in Mugdock, or should I say Mud-Bath Park  - managed to just miss an incredible hail shower that left the place coated in white ! Then back here and 10m run in Pollok just as was getting dark. So a day of parks for me .

18/11/2012 at 20:58

Cragchick - well done

TP - lots of heavy hailshowers here too but managed to miss them on my mini run today. Had a longer one in bright sunshine yesterday, lovely day but freezing cold.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.