Scottish Runners

29,781 to 29,800 of 32,843 messages
19/11/2012 at 06:06

5 wet miles as its pouring down got soaked.

More to catch up on then

Morning Tri

Coffee calling.

19/11/2012 at 06:58

morning BM

sounds miserable out.

well done CragChick!! (dont know if I said already!)

running into work this morning as bike still at bf's work

weather supposed to settle a little later... hope so!!!

19/11/2012 at 09:17

snap BM  soaked to the bone after my 6.5 miles this morning. blowing a gale as well so the last 3 miles into the wind was not much fun at all. was managing 8min/mile before the turn for home and went to 8.30min/mile on the way back.

thankfully badminton courts are booked for this evening instead of usual Monday night tennis. will be a nice change to be warm indoors!

19/11/2012 at 10:32

Urgh!!! If this weather doesnt clear up by this afternoon I will be doing a session on the x-trainer . Back garden flooded - had to wade to get the bins outs this morning - loony tune cat followed me out into it !!

Found a great looking race this morning - Swiss Mountain Ultra 50miler, 5000m of ascent - what did I say again about only doing flat races?

19/11/2012 at 11:55

bit grey and drizzly here but hoping it'll clear later to head out with kids and blow cobwebs away. Joys of cleaning this morning.  That looks a fab-u-lous race TP

Been looking at dreadmills - boggles the mind!!

19/11/2012 at 19:09

cragchick, We bought a treadmill this time last year to see me through the rubbish dark nights. There are literally loads to choose from

Hi Elspeth, how's it going?

Weather was rubbish here today too.

Tried a 5 miler after one weeks rest yesterday but achilles niggle was no different. Its a real dilemma. Its not sore whist running, just after so it feels really hard to rest up. I want it shifted though so I guess more rest is the only way

19/11/2012 at 19:42

Achilles niggles are the pits, I've had them on and off for about five years now!  Was completely niggle free this summer but it's returned ... as it rarely totally disappears I just seem to 'manage' it with variations of ice, deep massage to calf muscles and niggle zone, voltarol gel etc etc but have given up trying to rest it as it does seem better if I use it. I know I don't massage/stretch my calves enough though... must get roller out tonight and inflict some pain!

Have just ordered a Branx one - heart palpitations at buying such an item ... need to go and clear space in garage now!!

19/11/2012 at 22:58

Well done cragchick!

Really nice mild day here by 9am, couldn't believe how pleasant it was at Inverness airport after it was wet and windy in Orkney. Getting breezy for my late night run though so the bad weather is on its way. Great weather run on Hoy Saturday too over some moorland and hills I've not explored before. Yesterday was a bit blowy!

20/11/2012 at 06:01

Morning from a dry Erskine. What a contrast to yesterday.

Hate to say it, but its gonna be weta gain later today !

Morning Tri.

TP: Yeah famous last words re your flat races...

20/11/2012 at 07:01

morning BM

good to know its more settled today.

glad to get bike back yesterday for coming home although was late in work so no session last night. planning run and turbo tonight as knackered this morning.

TP, haha yes thought that was a strange choice for you looks amazing though!

20/11/2012 at 09:22

dry and clearish here still 57.5, bad weather not here yet!  Have two extra kids today (fighting already). Off to Culbin with bikes in a minute I think ....

20/11/2012 at 15:38

Afternoon all

Lol BM and UTC - well, I have been known to do a few 'hills' in the past .

Cragchick - good luck with all the extra kiddies - is it the school hols again? I dunno, teachers eh? Nothing but holidays ........ Good luck also with the treadie - I wouldnt know where to start to look.

MrsMac - I agree with Cragchick - I've had this for years, I just run through it, don't think not running for ages really helps. I've been following the American line that it is a tendonopathy, rather than a tendonitus like they say in UK, so basically it is a degenerative tissue problem, use it or lose it. I dont think resting for long periods makes it any better (it may indeed make it worse) - I think people get into that whole cycle of rest, injure, repeat. The US stuff I read said if you stop using the tendon it shrinks, so naturally when you go back to using it again, perhaps trying to reach the same training intensity as pre-injury, it is more likely to snap .

I've modified my training so I do a lot of slow plodding miles, and a lot of post-run stretching. I rarely do any kind of speed work like intervals etc, I think that is when it is most at risk of snapping. You may find you have to considerably slow down your pace on training runs.

I take fairly regular rest / cross training days through the week, but I also do a lot of back to back long runs with the ultra training, and this doesnt seem to bother it. I got up to an 81m training week last Xmas with no bad effects, but it was all done at slow pace. I keep it going by massaging it and taking a couple of extra rest days eg after a long race if it becomes swollen. Basically I am not going to stop running, I will just keep on going for as long as I can and enjoy it, I may not be able to do it forever, but the problem certainly has not gotten any worse with the kind of running I do .

20/11/2012 at 17:17

TP - yep you've pretty much summed up my philosophy re the achilles!  Also, the achilles is an especially difficult one to get a decent blood supply to, so it takes even longer to repair itself ... anything that keeps/encourages blood flowing to the area is good.

INSET days this time so apparently the teachers are training last two days, this one is always a bit of a killer being not that long after TWO WEEKS of October hols, never mind  ... only five weeks until the next holiday.  Planning to do the Lossie Turkey Trot 10 but think I will need to amend goals due to serious lack of consistent running, let alone speed.

20/11/2012 at 18:04

Oh also - I should probably be honest here - I never ever use pain killers for it. Not because I'm trying to be hard , but because I dont want to 'mask' the problem (or get addicted to Ibuprofen) - I want to be able to feel when I am having a good spell or a bad spell and modify accordingly. At the moment, paws crossed, it is behaving itself.

lol CC - 'inset day' - is that code for 'having a chat and some nice cake and coffee'

(ducks out of thread before gets lynched by all the teachers)

20/11/2012 at 20:19

Wow, thanks for that TP & cragchick

I have always been a 'run through it' runner so I don't know why I think this should be different. I was at the doc today for something else but he always asks me how my running is, so I told him. He was very heavy on the caution because he snapped his achilles before! Gave me a self-referral for for NHS physio and advised strongly against anti-inflammatories as they actually draw blood flow away from the injury. I'll stick the form in, won't cost me anything.

20/11/2012 at 20:56

I have always suffered with the achilles x 2, but at least they are usually a reliable guide to whether new shoes are needed: more pain = get the bank card out. Much better now than a few years ago though so higher mileage is not the problem, and I certainly do no stretching cos I'm a man . Always a little nervous of faster running but they've held up so far.

10 x 600m intervals on the track tonight. no fun, especially the 1.5 laps with 2 straights into the strong wind.

Hope to meet you at the Turkey Trot cragchick.

20/11/2012 at 21:22

You never know 57.5 I may make it to the race yet!

21/11/2012 at 06:21

Morning you lot

5M Steadily done. Dry out here.

Morning Tri

Right stuff to do.

21/11/2012 at 11:57

7 miles in the forest, no run-ins with logging trucks, no bogs, no saltmarshes, no battling through trees etc ... perfect conditions with very little wind!  Now into the afternoon and chaos will resume ... Weds involves traipsing over to Nairn for sons guitar lesson at 5pm and entertaining my daughter for an hour while he strums - sigh!

21/11/2012 at 14:53

Decent run here today too, long run up and down some steep hills (on the pavement), nice weather, very mild no wind . Thought I would make the best of it as tommorrow looks like it is going to be pretty rotten everywhere !

MrsMac - no harm in trying the physio - and free physio is even better .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.