Scottish Runners

29,821 to 29,840 of 33,311 messages
24/11/2012 at 23:10

Quiet day here. glad you are having fun UTC!

So so parkrun for me this morning but lovely weather . Then I had to work . Then I got in a run at the end of the day .

25/11/2012 at 08:46
Can anyone suggest any good routes in the Inverness area for winter running? Am currently at the half marathon level, but am toying with the idea of the Loch Ness Marathon in Sept.
Other than weekend runs its usually dark now when I run, so need well lit routes ...
25/11/2012 at 17:24

Evening all

UTC - hope you have had a good journey home.

Vickhi - welcome to the thread - 57.5 is your man for Inverness routes. I dont know the place well enough to advise on lit routes, but I have done Loch Ness marathon 3x and its a lovely route, if a tad hilly in places .

Very much Ice Ice Baby here yesterday , not that I realised until I went out and tried to run on it , black ice everywhere! Slithered around for 7.2m until I got fed up and came home, bit of a waste of time actually. Loads of runners out looking equally chagrined as me !

Today the rain had warmed up the pavements enough to get rid of the ice, so I did a lovely 16miles, with some hills and countryside thrown in . Wet and cold so had the streets mostly to myself, but I will take that weather over ice anyday . Saw hardly anyone else running today, but actually the better day in terms of less chance of falling on your a*se .

25/11/2012 at 17:30

A very sensible plan TP! I like crisp winter mornings but not slipping all over the place.

Guinness, yum! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip UTC

Ventured out for a 10 miler yesterday with achilles taped. No pain whilst running but a bit stiff today. Lots more stretching etc

25/11/2012 at 19:36

Grim and drizzly here today, just about above freezing - perfect for orienteering in Quarrelwood - hmm, maybe. Eldest took himself round white course while I shepherded youngest then I had a bash at the light green. Calf seemed to hold up, slight niggle but didn't feel any worse for it so hoping bodes well. Didn't get lost but not especially fast, but feel confident about navigation now which was key.

Cautiously optimistic re the achilles then MrsMac ...

25/11/2012 at 22:52

Pretty miserable today as cragchick says, but I did find a new bit of coastline to run along and a few trails in Culloden Wood I'd not been on before.

Welcome Vickhi. I do have a fondness for dark paths to challenge my night vision, but there are some good lit routes in Inverness.

1. I'd often try and add an out and back over the Kessock Bridge (walkways both sides, lovely on a still night, wild in high winds!) to a night run for some scenic miles, either turn around on the A9 where the street lights end or run down to North Kessock at the road where the cars turn off, continue under the bridge and up the steep road up to the walkway on the east side of the bridge. The last couple of hundred yards are unlit but it is easy enough to walk the steep uphill.

2. The classic night run would be down one side of the River, over the Islands, back up the other side to the Grant St bridge and back to your starting point.

3. The new housing estates south of Culduthel and the relief road or at Inshes give a range of hills and some nice views with lots of little tracks and cut-throughs joining the streets.

4. If it snows and there is a clear night the canal towpath is great, the snow reflects enough light and the towpath usually takes longer than the pavements to ice up.

Other than that I just meander the streets. If you want some sociable running the Inverness Harriers have a 'joggers' group on a Wednesday (we actually cover pretty much all ages and abilities) from whom I've learned lots of routes in the city. We also have a parkrun on Saturday mornings if you want to get a bit of racing practice in over 5km (or just get some fresh air in the morning!).

26/11/2012 at 07:25

morning... BM??

great weekend had in Belfast not so glad to be back to work this morning.

just back from a short run good to be getting back into it after all my distasters/injuries/illnesses nothing too quick just a short 5k or so jaunt to get the legs moving.

1st velodrome session tonight.... cautiously excited!!!

CC and MrsMac glad the injuries are holding well!!

26/11/2012 at 12:24

57.5 which bit of coast was that then?  Have yet to get to the forest up at Culloden or Cawdor ... on 'to do' list!

4.2 miles round Culbin, nice and steady, slight niggle in calf but nothing to pay attention too!

Blue skies ... for the moment

26/11/2012 at 12:24

UTC - hope the comeback continues well!!

26/11/2012 at 18:53

Evening you lot

Evening Tri: Couldn't get access this morning

Catch up time.

26/11/2012 at 21:17

great night at the velodrome tonight. Actually managed better than I thought I would although was shaking with nerves... decided to do the 1st accreditation again just so that I can "skip" the hesitating etc at the start seeing as now I am familiar with riding a fixed gear, and do the full hour gaining confidence on the banking. Its a fantastic facility I would recommend to everyone.

evening BM

thanks CC its going well so far. I think I actually took no rest after the Ultra and ever since then things hadn't been the best... then 2 halfs back to back and all the other x training wasnt doing me any good. Good to feel the energy back and aches and pains settled. Glad your achilles seems ok!

Turbo tomorrow for me in the morning and swim in the evening Thinking 200 warm up, some pull boy stuff and drills and 10x800 then warm down for 1-200. Hopefully in and out quick as it gets very busy on Tuesdays!!

27/11/2012 at 05:57

Morning you lot

Nice dry cold run with Geordie.

Morning Tri: The velodrome sounds Fun (interesting/crazy) delete where appropriate.

Must confess to really enjoy running in the snow. Especially when is freshly fallen or is falling.Okay so in that respect I'm a big wean

27/11/2012 at 07:08

morning BM,

dont think you could delete any of those words re the velodrome

snow... unfortunately usually followed by slush and ice...

27/11/2012 at 20:37

Evening

Quiet today eh !

27/11/2012 at 21:22

I was on the little road to Alturlie Point, north of Culloden cragchick. A little close to a fragrant sewage works but the views of the Kessock Bridge are good. I also love running the old A9 back to Inverness from there along the shore.

Also love running in snow BM. One of my most memorable runs was in a blizzard on Hogmanay 2010, my plans for New Year had all been screwed up by car trouble and weather but the run was magnificent.

27/11/2012 at 22:31

Ooh, that sounds interesting route 57.5, I really ought to be more adventurous, but then I feel totally spoilt up here for training ground wherever I go! That said, am packing assortment of kit in car so I can head somewhere straight after school drop-off - either up on moors above Dava or may press on down to Glenmore and do another yomp up round the back of there.  Am preparing to lose all feeling in my feet during the adventure!!

I too love snow running. My most memorable runs were a couple I did the first winter we were here - 2010 (good snow year that!!). Out the back and into the Findhorn heath/dune scape, full moon, clear skies and that lush dry powder snow; the more surreal one was running on the beach in the moonlight until I discovered the sand had frozen too, and then wading through the snowdrifts on the edge of the beach to get back on the coastal path - LOVE IT!

Agree that the slush/freeze/ice phase that follows is pretty hideous though.

UTC - is easy to get carried away and underestimate how much a longer event takes out of you, especially if you then add on a few more races. Sometimes we learn, sometimes not!

Edited: 27/11/2012 at 22:33
28/11/2012 at 05:58

Morning and its a very frosty one` here today

4.5M Steadily done.

57.5 and cragchick: I think my love of snow runnng goes back to my childhood. When there was thick snow in mid-late 1970s my pals and I used to get our football boots on and go out and play on the snow covered roads with an old orange Woolles football. Nobody ever looked out of their window to tell us 'To stop playing football near their cars ! '

I remember doing a lunchtime hill session in Central Glasgow when the snow was falling. Both pedestrians and drivers were having trouble getting up to Sauchiehall St whilst I ran a loop a from Bothwell St up and past  St Vincent St much to their disbelief and my satisfaction.

Morning Tri

Edited: 28/11/2012 at 05:58
28/11/2012 at 06:36

morning BM

just about to hop on turbo. run planned for tomorrow morning. gym and swim tonight with some treadmill stuff.

thanks CC, I have been taking a multivitamin as well just to see if I feel better and fingers xd I am.

BM... lunch time sessions... if only

28/11/2012 at 06:37

Morning Tri;Yeah I could manage lunch time sessions until moving to current job.

28/11/2012 at 10:23

morning all. no running this morning as the kids are on holiday for a couple of days.

for those that are looking for some half marathons next year eventfull are offering a slight discount if you enter their 3 half marathons in angus/tayside next year -

http://eventfull.biz/index.php/sportingevents.html?task=view_event&event_id=10

includes Angus Half, Dundee Half and Braemar Half all for £36 pounds. very tempted....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.