Scottish Runners

29,821 to 29,840 of 31,032 messages
adbru    pirate
25/11/2013 at 14:58

Well done FFB- Amazing !!

Work has been hectic meaning I did a short 2 mile run today for the first time in 2 weeks !

Set myself a challenge to run at least 2 miles every day until Crimbo, hopefully that will then form a 'running habit' and I wont miss out on training ....

Temp hardly above freezing all day here (working from home today)

run safe out there

25/11/2013 at 20:31

Spare a thought for the FFB and the Antarctic International Table Tennis League players (otherwise known as anticlamactic delayed return home after Antarctic Mara/100k)

27/11/2013 at 13:51

Quiet on here the last couple of days -

anyone know if FFB has managed to extricate herself from the icy clasp of Antarctica yet - or is she still playing table tennis? I dunno some folks, its just holiday holiday holiday .

Adbru - good to have a plan, especially around Festive season when everything can just go out the window.

Well I finally got paid , but not by the people I was waiting for...one of my other clients has saved my a*s and paid me early so Hurrah for them ! Will have to release the Tigers from Hell onto the non-payers if nothing has come through tomorrow.

Did 10m yesterday so having a rest day today.

Good luck Elspeth and OH for this coming weekend!!

27/11/2013 at 17:09

Hello...

I think FFB is hoping to fly out of Antarctica tomorrow but they're still trying to get onward flights.

Hurrah to the early payment TP Hope (for their sake) the others cough up soon!

Sounds good Adbru

Ooh, good luck Elspeth & OH, can't wait to hear all about it

I'm now one week in after tearing ankle ligaments running on Ben Lomond. Swelling has gone right down and the bruising is very pretty colours! Anyone done this before and got any advice?

27/11/2013 at 17:24

Ouch MrsMac  - I did this same injury (quite a few years ago now) when I was working on Unst in Shetland - I fell down some rickety stairs in an old croft building and landed on the side of my ankle (luckily was wearing good boots as might have been worse). Doctor up there told me to rest it for a few days (elevation / ice) but couldn't get it scanned or x-rayed because we were so remote. After about a week I managed to get back to light work, and I kind of hobbled and limped around for the next 2 or 3 weeks after that. By the time I came home about a month after initial injury it was pretty much okay, but I had to wear an ankle support for training - I wasn't really running that much compared to what I do now, but I was doing weights at the gym and teaching Tae Kwon Do 3 times a week, so fairly intensive training. Basically, rest, elevation, ice, but then get going again to get mobile as soon as you can, even if it is just a short walk, it all helps build the strength back up.

27/11/2013 at 21:53
Mrs Mac - No advice from experience but would advise not doing too much until you are pain free walking reasonable distances. Then take it steadily from there. Probably try road/treadmill before you hit the trails again.

TP - hope you get paid.

Not scared about ultra - much!! Just hoping the boats are going Fri morning as big winds forecast, but guess better to be stormbound on Orkney than Antarctic. Hope FFB gets home soon.
27/11/2013 at 23:00

I tore ankle ligaments in my youth. Initial injury is a mystery (alcohol was involved so no-one remembered what I had done ). Then I thought I'd try the ankle out on the football field a few weeks later but play it safe and stay in goal. Someone slid right into my ankle as we went for the ball . After that it was rest, rest, rest and don't do anything stupid. Plus some exercises from the physio. Good news is that it did actually heal quite quickly. And I've never had any subsequent problems.

Good luck in your travels Elspeth... and all the best to FFB wherever she's made it to.

What ever happened to UTC. Not hear from her in ages.

adbru    pirate
28/11/2013 at 16:04

I think best advice is 'dont rush !' mrs mac.

Day 4 - run 4 , still just 2 miles-hardest bit is still getting out the door !

very mild here today but think temp is going to drop for the weekend...

29/11/2013 at 13:18
got across Pentland Firth (on only boat going today) now enjoying soup and cake in Aviemore
29/11/2013 at 13:21
FFB flying out of Chile today arriving back at Prestwick Saturday evening.
29/11/2013 at 18:13

Ouch also 57.5 - ankle things are just really horrid!

Hope you are feeling a bit better MrsMac and can walk about a bit.

Good luck in your race tomorrow OH and Elspeth - glad to hear your ferry was running. Weather seems a bit better down here than you have had although its still a bit windy.

Even more glad to hear FFB has finally made it out of Chile!!! OMG what a trial ! Wow this is going to be some report!

8 miles for me today after 'Hell in the Supermarket'  stupidly forgot its so-called 'Black Friday' but didn't think it would apply to groceries! Apparently does if the queues and general melee were anything to go by!

Also wondering what UTC is up to these days.

30/11/2013 at 17:17

Thanks for the advice folks Been walking (not far) with the dog but its quite achy. Got a recommendation for a physio so I've got an appointment on Monday.

Wonder how the Ultra-Fay Duo got on?

Well done adbru, keep it up

Glad you survived 'Black-and Blue Friday' TP

30/11/2013 at 17:49

Mrs Mac- I think the problem that takes a while to settle, even after pain/ swelling has gone, is proprioception- so once you are fit to exericse, it might be helpful to use wobble- board type exercises, and also try some taping around the ankle to help that aspect- trail running is going to be pretty difficult for a while. Hope you are on the mend soon.

Gradually building the miles here- have managed bot ha 10 miler mid week, and 15 today, and my mileage for november is the best on record- just hope the weather allows me to keep it up over the middle of winter...........I really didn't run enough miles last year to make the most of my ultra races, so if I can get to next spring with at good base, I'll be a lot happier.

Wonder if FFB is back yet?

30/11/2013 at 21:30

Yes, terrible tragedy in Glasgow.

Hope FFB is home safe and sound. And glad to hear that the Fays made it to civilisation .

01/12/2013 at 09:03
upper end of Glen Lyon civilisation - interesting concept
01/12/2013 at 11:06

I was a bit surprised that there wasn't some sort of call out for me on friday night- but then I don't work in an area where a lot of the victims were taken. We hear these helicopters buzzing over all the time- I suppose now there will be a big debate about the use of helicopters in city areas.

Hope no one on here is directly affected by the events.

On a lighter note...........annoyingly, the Clyde stride has been moved to 1 week before Loch Ness ( CS has to move due to the games in Glasgow). Which should I do?

01/12/2013 at 18:22

The bottom end of Glen Lyon and Glen Lochay is pretty civilised though OH.

Glad I only had to make 4 river crossings yesterday in the North District Cross Country Championships, rather than the countless ones Glen Lyon looked to offer. Even 4 was cold enough. Not a great run for me in the cross country, but I had run a 5k PB at the new Perth parkrun in the morning.

01/12/2013 at 23:08

I had an average run at the xc 57.5, but considering I have done NO speed work or short races I was delighted with 20/48 for senior women. only 2 river crossings for us girls - they weren't too bad though but soft sand Grim!!!

oh no to the ankle Mrs Mac - arnica tabs and Ruta graveolens cream or tabs from a homeopathic angle. definitely want to mobilise asap prociraception (or however you spell it), basically the nerve endings involved in balance!! wobble boards or similar are fab

02/12/2013 at 09:51

Morning

Long run for me on Saturday 16m, then a couple of hours lifting bags of manure  and shifting paving slabs around on the allotment yesterday. Taking advantage of a few mild days to get some extra tidying jobs done on the plot before the ice comes back. Onions and garlic went in a few weeks ago and some of it has started to sprout despite the frozen ground last week . Then came home and cleared all the mounds of leaves and accumulated domestic mess from the bin store and lane out the back - on reflection the manure was more pleasant!!  So much rubbish where people have been through the bins ...YUK! I was fed up seeing it though, so just got stuck in.

02/12/2013 at 13:29

Tigh nam Bodach 50k Ultra 2013

Not a good preparation – up 5:30 for work on Thursday morning; up 5:10 Friday morning to see if 6:30 boat was sailing (it was but was only boat to get out that day); choppy crossing followed by a long drive down then wakeup 5:30 for race.

We drove up lower Glen Lyon then over the lonely Ben Lawers road on way to B+B in Killin. Road clear and snow line at about 2500 feet.

Bar meal and gear sorted before early night. Landlady had left breakfast out for us and we left at 6:30 in the dark. Tech t shirt, Merino long sleeve and another long sleeve top. ¾ tights and oiled legs. 19 miles drive back over the single track mountain road to the race HQ at Glen Lyon dam. Registration and briefing as dawn broke. Weather cool (2°C), dry and calm, as forecast.

Only about 80 of  96 entrants started so about 16 DNS but we met 2 familiar faces.

The route was straight into 300 feet of sharp ascent before an undulating rough landrover track around the reservoir.  After the bag drop at 14 miles, it crossed over the dam then up a tarred but potholed private road to 1600’ and down into Glen Lochay. There it looped 7 miles up the glen along a rough track before  returning to the tarmac for the 1000’ climb back up the pass, finishing with a nice easy 2 mile down to finish back at the Glen Lyon dam.

Lovely views with some sun on snow capped hills as we set off.
I walked (as most) up the first incline then settled into steady pace. First river at 6 miles - water up to just below knees. Coming out, feet felt like blocks of ice and slowed up by foot muscles not working as well as usual but OK again after 5 minutes.

I remembered this time to keep refuelling as I went around (snack Mars Bars, Jelly Babies …)

Overtaken by Elspeth who had now got warmed up. 2nd River, 3rd river …
Curiously my top half felt a lot warmer after each crossing (perhaps a survival reflex kicking in?).
3rd marshalled river crossing done – all done or so I thought – they lied!
There was one further river crossing at least as deep as the previous three!

At 12.3 miles, catastrophe struck – I hit a fixed stone with my right foot, stumbled, failed to save myself and landed heavily headlong. Oh S&&t! I thought, race over. Cramp then kicked in left leg. However I slowly picked myself up and assessed the damage :\^ : Right knee bruised and grazed, left chest bruised and fairly sore. Didn’t think I’d broken a rib. So after a couple of minutes I tried running again. Proceeded gingerly to the drop bag station before the dam at 14 miles at just under 3 hours. OK so far ...

Dry shoes, new socks, long tights. Banana, Rice pudding, 2 cups tea (straight down the hatch and some other “fuel” and off again.

Last runners and sweeper were back by then
7 runners finished their race prematurely at this point.

Continued across the dam itself and now onto tarmac albeit potholed.

Edited: 02/12/2013 at 13:29
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.