Scottish Runners

29,841 to 29,860 of 33,309 messages
28/11/2012 at 12:54

Longbow - that is quite a bargain, when you consider lots of halfs get away with charging £20+ these days. How much is Glasgow now £25 / £27? Been a while since I've done it.

After all, you can do a full 53m of the Fling for £27 . Mile for mile bargain .

Rest day today, short walk in the frost to post some letters. Ran 5 days in a row with no rest Oooops! Figured I better rest the leggies today, even though it is sunny out.

Snow? Yeah, get the trail shoes on, scare some pedestrians, overtake all the cars because they get stuck on the hill outside my house, great fun ....but the 'real' stuff please, none of this icy rubbish .

28/11/2012 at 13:09

Fun yomp  this morning on the hills above Dava, planned route was blocked by the ford having more water in than I anticipated! Did try several attempted crossings but good sense prevailed as was quite deep and fast-flowing and freezing! and I'd have to recross it again on way back.  So eight miles anyway, bit of sleet, bit of snow, bit of low in the sky sunshine to blind you, and not another soul around. Feet froze as predicted but smartwood socks did help I think and the Crosslites were a good call for some better grip. 

Any top tips for circulation, my left foot always freezes first and after going numb it feels like I have got marbles or dried peas under the ball of my foot until it thaws out again - which can be quite some time - not nice to run on at all.

28/11/2012 at 20:22

Ouch cragchick! Sorry I've no advice but that sounds horrible Sounds like a great yomp though

Bargain longbow! You going for it?

I like a wee trot in the snow too but it needs to be the crunchy stuff. None of the slippy slushy stuff! Not been doing much this week, got a fit of the lazy's Got the Pentlands half on Sunday though so need to give myself a shake

28/11/2012 at 20:31

MrsMac; All the best for Sunday.

28/11/2012 at 22:38

Ah BM, the great advantage of getting older is more years to reminisce about. My personal favourite was the 'winter of discontent' in 78/79. 2 weeks off school in a cold (-15 several days) and snowy January, plus no gritting or clearing of roads and pavements (all due to strike action). Hours of sledging each day and we polished up the ice on the pavement outside the house so you could slide about 100m down a slight hill. We had no concern in those days for the chances of little old ladies breaking their hips on our handiwork.

I always think running on ice is a good training tool. If you don't land with an efficient midfoot strike under your centre of gravity bad things will happen!

Reminisce
28/11/2012 at 22:52

Ah, those were the years when you were pretty much guaranteed snow every winter - even in the depths of SE England! Many memories of sledging with mums round metal tea-trays with other kids in the road. Was nice and safe as the road was on a steep hill and all the cars had to park in the bus stop at the bottom as council never bothered to grit it properly  Well, safe in that you wouldn't get run over by a car, not safe that you wouldn't break any limbs!!

Edited: 28/11/2012 at 22:52
29/11/2012 at 06:21

Morning

Very cold and frosty one here.

57.5: yeah remember that one well. Our Primary School was coal powered so we loved it when the lorries couldn't get coal. I was in Primary 7 in winter 78/79.

Morning Tri.

cragchick: Yeah usually heavy snowfalls Jan into Feb.

29/11/2012 at 07:47

morning BM

Lovely crisp morning out, great wee run. Legs a bit heavy mind you, think they're shocked at the increase in the activity again Im really happy though, just good to feel the way you do after a run again!!

Good luck MrsMac for the weekend!!

Best get ready, a friend's last day today at work... gutted but pleased for her.

29/11/2012 at 11:54

Boing! I'm back. Looks like I have a fair amount of reading to do  Been manically busy with work, christmas and my challenge. On that front I now have a name, a logo and a website will be up and running next week.

Training has been a bit slow an interrupted since GO33 largely due to the amount I have had on, but managing to get back into things properly this week. I need to decide what events i am doing next year but still not managed to find a trainer/coach who can advise so i think it looks like it will be my amateur training and race plan.

It also looks like I will be organising a runnign event up at Loch Katrine in either early march or end of oct next year. Scottish water are agreeable as are the walter scott trust people.

Hasn't Doc Andrew Murray done well with his ultras, plus doing the Antarctic Ice marathon as a warm up and winning it in a record time  There will be no record times for me or wins  But I will be the first scottish woman to do both events together and I think possibly the oldest British woman to do it.

Hope everyone well and training well. I willtry and catch some time to read back.

29/11/2012 at 17:26

Some of us may be getting our snowy wishes tommorrow !

Getting a cold.....bluuuuarrrrrrgh!!!

29/11/2012 at 17:42

I was running in sleet and snow yesterday ...

boo to cold germs ... vomitting bug doing rounds of my sons class at the moment, feel like we are sitting on an unexploded bomb, would rather get it before Christmas though ...

Some good training going on though

Good luck MrsMac

29/11/2012 at 23:39

No snow yet but a great moonlit run on Nairn Beach tonight. Nearly got beaten by the winter CBA thoughts but really enjoyed it once I warmed up.

You must be a year or two younger than me BM. But we were both a perfect age for that sort of winter, old enough to be independent but young enough not to worry about exams and that grown up stuff. Other memorable winters were Jan '84 (driving to Aviemore with high walls of snow either side of the A9 thrown up by the snowploughs, -24 degrees one night in Aviemore) and Jan '87 when Glasgow ground to a halt with the snow right after New Year.

Hoping for no snow on the A9 tomorrow. I'll be running the Falkirk parkrun for the first time Saturday if my travels go according to plan.

30/11/2012 at 05:58

Morning

Happy St Andrews Day to all on here

Cold and frosty one again, brrrrr.

5M Fartlek done and I'm just thawing out

Morning Tri

30/11/2012 at 06:30

morning BM

Happy St Andrews Day to everyone too

Turbo this morning and swim tonight... ended up having a rest night last night so make up for it later.

No snow please..... cant stand it

At least its Friday!!

Bf doing GU 5miler tomorrow, I did it last year but not race fit yet so will be happy running myself and cheering him on (to win???)...

Have a good one!

30/11/2012 at 06:32

Morning Tri. all the best to your bf in Glasgow Uni 5 tomorrow.

30/11/2012 at 07:52

Morning all. Thank crunchie ...... showing my age there  Its been quite a week! And to top it all I went to bed with a hint of a headache and have woken with a migraine. Hoping the tablets kick in soon or I will be heading back home. Had fab wee 6 miles last night.

30/11/2012 at 08:19

welcome back FFB, (sorry meant to say so before!!) hope the migraine clears up!! Good turbo this morning, legs tired with all the running/turbo-ing this week all good though

30/11/2012 at 09:22

nasty nasty migraine be gone!!

Moonlit run on Nairn beach - envious of that. Hubby back tonight so might head out with headtorch later. Awaiting arrival of treadmill, so that's put paid to long run plans ... Sunday morning it will have to be!!

Frosty and cold but not baltic, and again hardly any wind - perfect really

They have had the snow canons at work on Cairngorm ...

30/11/2012 at 09:28

Morning you lot

Going to bed early with lemsip and cat on my feet seems to have halted the cold, probably just needed a rest. Was out for a short run during the day but foolishly didnt leave enough time after lunch , had stomach pains all day, like cramp/indigestion and felt really spaced.......seems to have settled now, but lets just say it has put me right off beetroot .....

Having a laugh at email from LN marathon this morning, I roughly quote: 'what better way to show someone you care about their health and wellbeing this Christmas by buying them an entry to LN mara'  LOL Yeah, I can see that one going down a treat, 'Hey Mom and Dad, I've entered you for a marathon next September' , never mind you have never ran a step in your life . I would argue the reverse - enter someone at random for a marathon and it shows you havent thought at all about their 'health and wellbeing' .....cue lots of entries getting sold on here next Sept .

Good luck all weekend racers, MrsMac and Tri's bf (go on, win ). Safe travels to all out on the roads.

30/11/2012 at 09:44

Morning all. Not checked in for ages. Nippy here today in Edinburgh, but lovely for running in. Did a wee 3 miler to work and plan a LSR on Sunday morning.

Good Luck to everyone running at the weekend.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.