Scottish Runners

29,861 to 29,880 of 33,346 messages
30/11/2012 at 09:50

Glasgow (and surrounding area!) runners, today is the monthly 3K on the Green race

http://www.3konthegreen.com/

£2 entry with all money to charity.

Get involved!

30/11/2012 at 10:22

ehwis TP  and LOL  I do know of runners who have had entry into events as presents.

Do you think Santa will pay the last 2 installments of my antarctic entry

30/11/2012 at 14:19

Lol FFB - you can always hope .

I think giving another runner an entry as a present can be a nice surprise / thoughtful gift....however, giving an entry to a random friend / family member who has never considered a marathon before, is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot, whilst at the same time giving the organisers money for a place that will never be used .

Nice sunny, freezing cold, 8mile this morning, wearing 3x everything .

30/11/2012 at 17:44

TP, some of the GU race route very icy... here's hoping it goes ahead. Bf aiming for sub30... erm well he can do 34 for 10k so assuming he didnt run the last 1.2miles in under 4 mins I'd say he's on for sub 30 without an issue...although secretly I think he's aiming for sub 28 

Very cold cycle into work but lovely, and some definite sleet on the commute home. Swim shortly...

I love races as gifts, and so does bf... but yeah if I gave one to my mum... not sure she'd see the appeal

good luck weekend racers

01/12/2012 at 14:47

just back from a rather sliipy 11miles home from worrk- although I suspect that the early moring drive in there in the car was the more dangerous bit.

Gorgeous out!!!!! but tons of black ice- last night's rain has frozen solid.

Saw a family of swans trying to swim up the frozen canal- parent swan at the front breaking the ice with his chest, and the juveniles following in a row!- quite odd.

My OH would kill me if I bought him a LN entry as a present.

02/12/2012 at 09:58

Morning all. Did not go out yesterday but did wieghts and a spin. Heading out this morning after mybacon roll has settled. Probably only do about 8 miles as I have not done anything more that 6 since GO33.

02/12/2012 at 10:02

Same here, might see you out there FFB .

Too icy yesterday after the overnight rain, went out this morning at 8am with cat and bird food () to check the surfaces, and it seems heavy frost with a better grip, so should be good for a run . Nice and sunny now too.

02/12/2012 at 13:59

afternoon... about 7 miles covered today... not much but most I've done since I took a break so felt good. very crunchy with some slips and slides along the canal. Saw a cat walk all the way from 1 side to the other also with a few slips and slides... absolutely gorgeous run though, although slow but underfoot conditions were not for upping the pace Nice to run with bf (his race was cancelled due to ice yday!)...

Now to wash the bikes and have some lunch.

02/12/2012 at 17:04

A slow run here too, some areas were fine, good frost covering or gritted, other bits an ice rink, so took things carefully, and used cross country routes through the parks. Good to run on solid crunchy mud and leaves, no wet feet . Footpaths in Pollok a total rink though .

Wonder if it will snow tonight, or thaw? Forecast is uncertain .

Late shop at the supermarket this afternoon - shelves locusted by xmas shoppers  - but stocked up on some xmas cupboard food and got in my first box of mince pies this season (might not be my last ) .

02/12/2012 at 18:15

Did the 7 reservoirs Pentlands half today, what a hoot Both me and hubby fell 3 times each He came of the worst though, I've got more padding Defo recommend it, t'was a toughie though!

02/12/2012 at 18:47

Well done Mrs Mac - would have been a nice day for it! 

Bit of slidey stuff for us yesterday but managed to stay on feet.

Sorry to hear winter ultra has been called off

FFB - would be great if your run was going ahead in March - but keep us posted as I need to book leave well in advance.

Boring afternoon trying to Christmas shop for me  and doing computer training. Yuk!

02/12/2012 at 18:52

Well done Mrs Mac, good to hear you seem to be in one piece despite the tumbles!!

Shame re the winter ultra, I dithered about doing but decided logistics were too much for this time of year but am still planning a run down there one weekend in January once hubbys confirmed his long-weekend ski plans!! (lucky bu**er).

15 glorious sunny miles for me this morning - coastal trail Findhorn to Burghead and back. No ice to speak of but sand was nice and frozen so made the first stretch way easier than it usually is (ankle eating dry sand and shale). Loads of Eider ducks in the harbour and Burghead too. Managed it at a decent pace (although it is a pretty flat route) which I was pleased about as I'd only had 3 rice cakes and a cup of tea before I set off!!

Treadmill arrived and working - just in time looking at forecast for tomorrow!

02/12/2012 at 21:48

Busy running weekend for me. Started with the Falkirk parkrun which was a bit slippy, but a great park to run in. Even got my fastest parkrun time of the year despite an untied shoelace about 4.2km (likely enough to go on my neck on that ice so I ignored it). Then ran a couple of different 6 mile routes to and from Celtic Park (the running went better than the game , and took in some lovely bits of Balornock and Provanmill ) and finished off with Lenzie to Bishopbriggs after missing the last train .

Today I ran 9 miles in Falkirk with friends, found a nice bar to thaw out in for lunch and drove up north. Tomorrow will be a rest day I think!

Love the sound of Findhorn to Burghead and back. A friend just moved to Burghead so I could get a half time cup of tea too.

03/12/2012 at 06:02

Morning from a snowy Erskine. Enjoyable run on fesh thick snow.

Busy weekend. We were dog sitting a neighbours Black Lab, who is same age as Geordie. Both loved it.

Need to catch up now.

Mornig Tri

03/12/2012 at 07:52

morning BM

longer lie this morning as I was knackered...kind of wish Id got up for a run

well done MrsMac!!

Lots of good running over the weekend. Turbo/run/swim tonight a going well.

MTB to work today.. just to be safe

03/12/2012 at 09:05

Morning all

Well done MrsMac .

Glad I didnt enter the winter ultra then , cannot say I blame them with the weather. I wouldnt want to face the drive on the A82 in this . And the poor marshalls would all be getting hypothermic .

But then it is 'The Winter'....in Scotland....on Rannoch Moor ......so what did they expect? Blistering sunshine?  Some folk place too much reliance on 'global warming' ....in our Hemisphere all 'global warming' means is we get sh!tty weather like this .

Well I let the cat out at 8.10am, he would have gone earlier but I'm not having him running around in the snow and the dark. He was meowing like a loony and running up to the window.........I somehow doubt he is finding the snow quite so exciting now he is out in it!!!!

03/12/2012 at 09:35

The concept of winter conditions of Rannoch Moor is what appealed to me, but then I am a bit strange like that! But agree that travelling to reach all the fun would have been interesting!

A light dusting here but that's it. All a bit greay and dreary really any way Tescos beckons and then a 10-miler somewhere, tbd, not sure I can face another run round Culbin though!

03/12/2012 at 13:49

TC - When I lived in the northern US where the snow fell in large amounts I had to dig trenches from the cat flap to a bit of woodland at the back of the garden so Ralph and George could get out of the house.

03/12/2012 at 15:06

57.5 - thats a shame - poor cats being snowed in by the cat flap . Unfortunately I am the human equivalent of the 'cat flap' - if I dont get out of bed in the morning to open the front door, his meow-ship doesnt get out .

No run today, decided to get lots of work finished - very thin layer of snow here that I could probably have gone out in this morning, but really CBA with all the sliding around and running on the road palaver . Must try harder tomorrow.....

03/12/2012 at 17:49

10 miles in the forest - was a bit slippy slidey but definitely got the best of the weather this morning as it's vile now!! Can't believe I was doing school pick-up at 2.50pm and 3.20pm and it was virtually dark

Findhorn to Burghead is great route - first couple of miles at start of trail a bit harsh in dry conditions as it's dry sand and shale but then perfect running terrain all the way through.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.