Scottish Runners

29,901 to 29,920 of 31,027 messages
15/12/2013 at 21:00

We almost got blown away on top of Arthur's Seat today

16/12/2013 at 10:34

Morning all

After the wash-out on Saturday (put Xmas tree up finally ) I eventually got out to do my allotment jobs on Sunday. Got a good 4hrs of digging in whilst it was light, only rained a little and the wind was actually quite welcome because I was boiling with the amount of thermals on!! Managed to get all the jobs done I had wanted to complete before Christmas, and my onions are actually growing !!!

So 2days off from running, hoping to get out today between the downpours.

Sorry to hear of your loss Cragchick . When my gran died a couple of years ago at age 96 after a long battle with alzheimers it was of course very upsetting, but in the end I reckoned we should all be lucky to live that long (although I would quite like to keep my marbles intact thanks) .

Hope you enjoyed your weekend away OH and Elspeth.

And you finally got that cuppa Tricia !

16/12/2013 at 22:14

Very cold and wet hoolie today to run in. Memo to self: mild weather over, remember hat and gloves.

17/12/2013 at 14:21

Good long run in relatively calm weather today - thought I had better get a reasonably long route done before the next batch of storms and high winds arrives.

Currently rotating 2 old pairs of Brooks with a new pair of New Balance. Cannot get my usual Brooks so thought I would try something new. So there I was today plodding along in my new 'sofas' - they do the job, but very unresponsive to any sudden burst of speed - lets call them the Volvo of the trainer world , you get there eventually, but it would be quicker in a Porsche . Not that impressed and probably wouldn't buy them again, but they will do over the winter or until I can get some more Brooks. Funny how your feet get settled in to one kind of shoe and then nothing else will do...

17/12/2013 at 19:43

Great blogs FFB, what an adventure. It all sounds amazing

Sorry to hear about your Great Aunt cragchick x

How was The Hobbit Tricia?

I know what you mean about shoes TP. I get panicky at the thought of having to change models!

I RAN Only a mile but its a start

17/12/2013 at 19:54

MrsMac 

In Belfast for wedding tomorrow

18/12/2013 at 00:24

The blog entry you have all been waiting for: the marathon

18/12/2013 at 14:38

Burning the midnight oil again FFB? .

Not so bad this morning as they had forecast so out for another run (speedy trainers this time!). Loads of people in the parks and out and about, some people must have finished already for Xmas or be having half days off for 'shopping' (a bizarre concept, as all the people I know who are getting this have already done their shopping and are using it for other things). Anyway, that's just over 36m done over 3 days, so training going to plan so far!

A big golden lab I normally see with his owner had run off and jumped right into a muddy puddle by the side of the path, and was proceeding to attempt to dig his way to Australia through the mud . YUK! I gave it a very wide berth! The guy was not pleased when he saw a half yellow / half black dog, mud caked all over its snout as well where it had had its head buried in the mud . Of course, you would never catch a cat doing anything so gross .

Yay MrsMac back running .

Supposed to be getting snow tomorrow!

19/12/2013 at 12:26

BM - the dog was having a great time - the walker was not so keen on having it back in his van .

Its my turn for the burst pipe today.

No water today after the storms last night - men are out in the street fixing it now!

I'm missing my lunch time cup of tea!

21/12/2013 at 14:53

Sympathies to TP for missing your tea- I know the feeling!, even more sympathies to Birkmyre for the need to go shopping- can't be anything worse!

I'm on call this weekend, and not feeling very festive- all my shopping has been done by remote control ( amazon), and I will be telling an awful lot of folks some bad news over the next few days.

I'll be fine once I get to christmas lunch time, but until then I'm thinking more about work than festivities.

Might try to get out for a long run tomorrow, weather/ oncall permitting.

Going to read your blog now, ffb.

21/12/2013 at 16:00
Tricia - Sorry work's getting in the way of running and Christmas. Hope it improves after the weekend on call.

Great blogs FFB. Looking forward to the ultra one.

Just home last night from a manic week, visit to daughters in Edinburgh at the weekend then my younger sister's wedding in Belfast on Wed. Overall went better than expected though by 6pm on wedding day when lunch still hadn't started I would have said otherwise! Too much travelling for this time of year but we were lucky with the weather/boats.

Glad to be home now though the Christmas stuff will be a little rushed, still working next week amidst it all. Nice run with 3 of our group this morning, strong winds, sea blowing over road at Scapa, great stuff after a day in the car yesterday!
21/12/2013 at 16:36

BM - hope your Xmas shopping went okay! Not something I would like to be out doing at this point!

Tricia - hope things go okay for you over the next few days, not too many days now before Christmas dinner.

Elspeth - sounds a hectic few days. I would have been well hacked off at not having any lunch before 6pm ! (not to mention passing out with the hunger!)

Had an annoying couple of days with computer problems but seem to have resolved things now .

Fitted in a slow 11m today, very windy, but managed to miss the heavy rain. It is so busy with traffic everywhere, it makes you wonder when the madness will end...hopefully it will quieten down a bit between Xmas and NY. 'They' say there is no money about, but from what I can see the shops are full all the time, well that's if the traffic is anything to go by, but maybe people are just going to look and not to buy .

Did a good big food shop on Thursday, hopefully see me and puss through until after this craziness has finished ! Had a granny trolley race me to the carrots in the supermarket ...I was LOL I only want one, she grabbed the bloody lot!!! Insanity !!! I was like, what are you planning on feeding over Christmas? the 5000?

23/12/2013 at 16:28

Evening

Wet and windy run this morning, very slow going.

Roads chaos, people have no patience whatsoever (or their heads are full of turkey stuffing or something ), so take care anyone who has to travel! Saw a guy cms from getting knocked off his bike today by someone in a fancy Mercedes who thought amber flashing on the pedestrian crossing meant he could drive right over it, even though there were folk still crossing in the middle of the road . He was more concerned with undertaking all the other cars in order to get to the front than he was looking to see if anyone was still on the crossing - what a selfish idiot.

My Christmas present from the allotment assoc is two wheel barrow loads of horse manure free to take from the pile . I need to get up there and claim my share before it all washes away / gets used.

So far so good on avoiding all the annoying bits of Christmas, but I still have to go to the relatives on Christmas Day otherwise I will be disowned (and besides they need someone to do all the taxi runs for all the aged P's ). Hopefully I will get a run on Xmas morning before it all kicks off...

Have a peaceful one you lot.

24/12/2013 at 13:16

Nice early Xmas present for Miss B, BM .

No run today, too windy. Saving my energy until tomorrow .

Happy Christmas everyone !

24/12/2013 at 16:47

Finally got away from work, - managed a tready run in the gym- too wild outside! Finished last bits of shopping ( amazon is a wonderful thing!). Hoping it calms down enough to get out runnning on boxing day.

Merry christmas all!

24/12/2013 at 19:41

One of the nastiest weather runs I've ever done tonight (excluding Orkney of course, it was typical winter weather for Hoy ). Felt like I was losing skin to the rain lashing off my face. Still, now I'm home with no need to leave the house for two days and enough food and drink to last much longer . Might get tempted by a wee run tomorrow, but only if conditions are much better.

Merry Christmas everyone!

24/12/2013 at 20:15
Well two very busy work days here too I'm afraid so not been out since weekend. Tempted tonight but wind is really bad and icy with hail too so probably not too wise. Looking forward to a proper run on boxing day too - emergencies permitting!

Have a good Christmas everyone. Fortunately my little helpers (daughter and husband) have been busy cooking today so came home to mince pies, brownies and mulled cider!

Enjoy!
24/12/2013 at 20:33

Have a great Christmas everyone, hope Santa's good to you

24/12/2013 at 22:56

Are you on duty to pick up the pieces after the Ba' and sew them back together Elspeth?

25/12/2013 at 20:15

merry christmas everyone. hope you have all had a fantastic day. just got the kids off to bed and mrs LB is snoozing on the sofa. think it was all the hard work rather than the bottle of fizzy stuff she finished off 

horrible run yesterday morning in that gale and a rest day today. contemplating the plum pudding plod down in forfar tomorrow but if not will get out for a run anyway. New socks, top and hat to try out as I imagine the majority of folk on here have!!

start of training plan for edinburgh next year. Only 151 days to go!! Yes, I am that sad that I keep a countdown going.

Hope everyone has a great time over the holidays.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.