Scottish Runners

29,901 to 29,920 of 33,502 messages
06/12/2012 at 10:03

Morning all

No snow in the southside, just hideous rain and dark, and the pavements are absolutely treacherous with rain lying over black ice - I have seen one person fall over this morning, and postie warned me of ice when he came to the door. I should have put the grit down yesterday but was waiting for the snow ....

Will go on cross trainer today, not worth risk unless it gets significantly warmer.

MrsMac - hope you feel better soon.

UTC - ouch - hope your club member is okay!

06/12/2012 at 19:17

Just paid for the Fling (I was originally 47th on the reserve list so I'd imagine they'll be accomodating anyone who wants in eventually). Another winter of Ultra training beckons .

06/12/2012 at 19:29

Thanks folks Went back to work today but still headachy Off next week so I'm sure that'll help

Nice one 57.5 See you there!

It does sound lethal out there, not worth the risk. Be safe everyone.

06/12/2012 at 19:52

I'm sure a week off work will help Mrs Mac.

Just did a short run - very slippy in places.

07/12/2012 at 06:02

4M Steadily done mainly off road due to icy paths.

Mornnig Tri.

Be careful in the icy conditions.

07/12/2012 at 06:57

morning BM

tired this morning, but looking forward to velodrome tonight

hoping this ice clears...

club member who fell Wed night has broken her raadius and ulna at the wrist... no surgery at the moment as it is stable after some manipulation, hopefully it wont be required!!

take care anyone venturing out.

07/12/2012 at 15:40

Finally most of the ice has melted and it is a positively boiling 5degrees and sunny in Glasgow .

Got out this afternoon for a decent 10miler, this week may be salvagable after all . Still a few icy patches around which were largely avoidable, but more importantly - visible, which is more than you could say for yesterday!!! It will probably freeze again overnight but they were saying 8deg for tomorrow eventually ! Had Pollok Park to myself pretty much, couple of walkers, parkies etc, the road through has been covered in lovely safe grit  - didnt venture onto the internal paths as thought they would probably still be slippy, some of the grassy areas were frozen solid with ice.

Made up for a hideous morning in the supermarket, stowed to the gunnels with shoppers and dithering grannies, people chatting blocking all the aisles with their trolleys (have you people got nothing else to do on a 'work day'? ), massive queues at the checkouts ....that is the part of Xmas worth avoiding !!!

Hurrah 57.5 - see you at the Fling .

Have a good weekend everyone and roll on some mild weather .

07/12/2012 at 16:10

Crazy few days, not read back properly so sorry. Mrs Mac still got headaches? Hope the week off does the trick!

Will be quite the party at the Fling then

18 miles yesterday for me - in the dreaded Forest again!! But good to do, longest run since the summers 100-miler and feeling OK today but a couple of niggles so won't push it.  No adventures though - boring!

No snow but really dull day, black ice has been lethal over last few days though. Toying with taking kids skiing tomorrow.

Probably going to give Turkey Trot a miss, just can't feel enthused, no idea why but probs cos I've done virtually nothing speedy for a while and just too much juggling around kids stuff and mainly absent husband!!

08/12/2012 at 08:06

Nobody up early today? Off to do my parkrun volunteer duties myself.

Does not sound like you'll miss much weather wise for the Trot cragchick. A little breezy by the look of it.

08/12/2012 at 09:31

Looks like both Falkirk and Pollok parkruns not happening this morning. Must get into the habit of checking as I nearly went to Falkirk today.

08/12/2012 at 09:56

Just got up- it looks dull and cold out there- no wind or rain, though, and I think most of the ice has gone- going to try running along the canal for maybe 13-15 miles, I think. Just letting the porridge settle first.

Had a go on the tready at gymearlier this week, and if it's still very slippy out, I'll bail out today and hit gym 2morrow.

08/12/2012 at 12:14

Oh dear - 6 miles of slipping and sliding along canal path- sheet ice from Bowling to Erskine brigde- could hardly walk safely in parts. let alone run!- Erskine bridge itelf is pperfectly dry and safe underfoot, but I think I would injure myself just from the weird runnug style if I'd carried on- gym tomorrow, then. Cat now on lap- , and I've not even had my shower, yet.

08/12/2012 at 13:26

Mrs Mac - hope you feel better soon.

Was icy here for our thurs night run but just wet and windy today. Didn't get far but 12 miles with a stop for hot chocolate before heading home. Was yum!

Er _ I may have entered the Fling too! Now how to train for it without incurring another Stress Fracture. Any ideas anyone?

08/12/2012 at 17:09

Evening

Wow Cragchick - I'm impressed you got in an 18miler in last weeks conditions .

Elspeth - I like your re-fueling strategy . How to train without getting a SF? Run slower  , and do more back to backs building up very gradually over the next few months.

Most of ice gone on my routes, but still some icy stretches in Pollok, mainly, actually, on the grass where the water has frozen in solid lumps and then waterfalled out onto the road ! Also nearly came a cropper trying to run down hill from Clarkston, there was a sneaky piece of ice that had evaded all the gritting efforts . Generally though, much improved and did a nice 16miles .

Tomorrow looks like a much milder day all around. Make the best of it everyone, cos next week we are all 'getting it' again !!!

08/12/2012 at 17:38

evening...

some excellent efforts Elspeth, TP, CC, Tricia.(Ran along canal last weekend too and it was pretty treacherous!!).

pavements mostly good now around here..

Just back from West Districts XC... bloody hard work but happy enough with my run. Wasnt the best but by no means the worst considering I havent raced for a bit, fitness levels not great and the mud was dreadful(ly wonderful). Phew.. tough wee course though, mostly flat but somehow that seemed to make it harder...

On way home picked up my latest addition to my bike family, a wee single speed (with flip flop hub so can be used as fixie) Charge Plug. Beautiful white steel frame and leatherette (brown) handlebars and seat. Still need new pedals for her as I need my clips and a neat front light to fit. "Frederica" or "Freddie" has already been christened and introduced to all her brothers!. Lovely stuff.

Night out tonight for dinner as bf away to USA for 10 days with work as of tomorrow.

Meant to ask if anyone knew... Pollok parkrun has been cancelled 3 weeks in a row due to ice on the course. Fair enough. However, Ive ran it on many a XC course when the paths have been icy. Any ideas why this hasnt happened this time?

08/12/2012 at 23:13

ahem ... I appear to be in the WHW race ... I guess I had better 'fess up to my husband

09/12/2012 at 10:42

Morning all

Happy new bike UTC . Grassy areas at Pollok have been very waterlogged the last few weeks, and then it all froze solid so would have been quite horrific for the XC alternative - cannot recall it being like this for 3wks though, so maybe they had other reasons? However, yesterday there were lots of runners waiting about outside the park (maybe organised a group run themselves), and it would have been quite easy to do a 5k route sticking to the external circuit pavements and road through the Park (ie riverside cycle path, then road past police sports ground), so maybe there is something else going on.......Typically the park has had the best gritted roads in the Southside over the last week .

Cragchick  Woo Hoo - well done . Yeah might be an idea to break the news!!! 

09/12/2012 at 10:49

CC - well done! Have you told him yet then or waiting for a good moment! Is he to be your support crew?

Looks better thanit was forecast to be here but still a trifle windy.

09/12/2012 at 11:44

haven't told him yet, not had chance yet ... but am not expecting him to crew - he will be in charge of childcare, far simpler and less stressful for all I think!! I have some girl-friends who seem keen, they are not runners but will definitely be sterling support and I think a few from my running club would help. Will be interesting actually as there is one other from the club in the race too - a guy - he's much faster than me but has had a DNF on the race before so this could be a bit of a girls vs boys completion challenge

57.5 hope you survived turkey trot - I've just been blasted along the coast path and back.

Went skiing yesterday up at Cairngorm with the kids yesterday - 50mph winds at the top and really poor visibility. Amazed kids didn't just refuse and demand to go back down in the funicular!!!! And then the easier bowl that was going to be open was closed so limited stuff but 8-year-old son took it all in his stride and loved every minute, 5-year-old daughter spent most time skiing between mine or hubbys legs but she hasn't refused to go again. Hardy souls we are bringing up I think

09/12/2012 at 11:44

will read back rest later once hubby has gone back off to airport and South again.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.