Scottish Runners

29,941 to 29,960 of 33,407 messages
11/12/2012 at 21:33

baltic but dry here. Not much ice around after a few dry days and plenty of breeze. Nice and calm today though. Unexpectedly met a friend in the forest today so had company - nice swift six-miler round some of the narrower, less frequented trails after teaching pilates this morning.

Shift at the library tomorrow but hopefully squeeze another run in, or an early blast on the treadmill ... hmmm

No idea re the hands TP, that is wierd!! My best best things for keeping my hands warm, although they are a little cumbersome are these: http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Technical-Clothing/Hands/Wind-Resistant-Gloves-Mitts/Dachstein-Mitts-LAC-DM  I used to use when winter mountaineering (strangely!!). They are wool and are very difficult to get wet through (despite description) and when covered in snow it forms a layer of insulation. So I do run and mbk in those when it's serious degrees below. Mine are about 12 years old now

12/12/2012 at 06:07

Morning from a very frosty Erskine.

Brrrrrr, cold out there. Thick frost this morning.

Morning Tri

Just got Victoria Pendletons autobiograpghy from library so gonna start reading that today

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 06:16
12/12/2012 at 07:49

Morning all. Boing. Beting a bit of an intermittent forumite at the moment. I wimed out of a run in -6 last night, -3 was pretty uncomfortable. I need to get my letters out to suppliers for my antarctic kit  I have been testing out merino products. Teko socks are amazing  Really comfortable and cosy without being too warm. Some icebreaker merino running tights are on their way. TP, have you thought of merino gloves? They also say that mitts on top of gloves is good: that's what i will have to use next year. Someone else told me that in the US, the guys that do the husky races put coins in the fingers of their gloves and that it keeps the fingers warm  Right, more catching up for me to do.

12/12/2012 at 10:54

Morning everyone

FFB - I actually had merino gloves on yesterday underneath my regular Ron hill gloves - usually they are fine, but yesterday was a bit too much - they warmed up eventually but it took most of the run and lots of arm swinging  - thats Reynauds for you .

CC - Will have a look at those Dachs gloves, cos I know you have Reynauds too .

I could wear my waterproof cycling gloves over the other two pairs, but it does get a bit ridiculous . Last year I got sealskinz running gloves and they were bloody freezing - not using them again !!! At this rate I will be able to open up a glove shop on ebay .

Hey look we have Christmas smileys !!!

Light dusting of snow here - just been out and gritted the path - off out for a run in a minute, feels warmer than yesterday. I think it might snow again soon - grey skies - .

12/12/2012 at 11:39

TP - I forgot you had Reynauds. Tell you what, I will see if I can score some Antarctic spares from my kit sponsors once i get them on board

12/12/2012 at 15:04

Thanks FFB - now that is definitely worthy of a double Santa .

Was actually quite toasty today in my usual gear, think it was about minus 1 when I went out and about +1 or 2 by the time I came back, as all the snow was melting. Its these minus temps combined with wind chill and rain that seem to cause the problems.

Hey - RW have auto-linked my mention of a certain internet shop above , I didnt do that.....

12/12/2012 at 18:15

Loving the Christmas smileys, how do you get those then?

actually, wasn't thinking yesterday but what I am mainly wearing at the moment is a pair of powerstretch gloves, mine are Black Diamond ones (about £24) but North Face, Marmot, and others do them too. Powerstretch is great a wicking moisture away from skin and staying warm while wet, so I wear them and then if it's really vile the mitts come out too!

Reynaulds is the absolute pits isn't it. Even on warmer days I can come in and find my fingers reduced to white blocks of ice - bah!

Sleet and then snow here today so will be lethal in the morning. Son vomitted at school just before I collected him so I've him at home for rest of week (off for 48 hours) and hoping none of the rest of us get it!!

No running today, madness of the time of year catching up with me and feeling a bit wiped after finishing work. No idea when to fit in this weeks long run, was going to be Friday but not with son off school. Might have to be a headtorch one along the coast Sat eve - actually that would be fun

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 18:15
12/12/2012 at 18:22

Now that's put me in the Xmas spirit.

It was a weird night last night. The car thermometer said -1 (my friend's did too) yet it felt soooo cold and my hands were still ice blocks after a hard session (usually I have to take gloves off as the hands heat up with the rest of me). Nicer tonight though, and a bit of snow in the air.

12/12/2012 at 20:27

I found the same yesterday 57.5 during the day, felt way colder than it was.

BUT how do you get the festive smileys?????!  nope, not happening here

12/12/2012 at 21:42

Cragchick - quick before 57.5 uses them all .

I'm getting them in the usual drop-down as the regular smileys - just scroll down .

There was a thread yesterday saying you have to re-set something if you can't get them - cannot remember what, but its around somewhere.

Uh-oh, hope the sickness bug doesnt last long !!!

13/12/2012 at 06:22

Morning need to catch up.

Some light snow out here this morning

Oh very seasonal

13/12/2012 at 07:17

morning BM...

lovely 5 miles this morning early doors yay to the christmas smillies!! Lovely and quiet although a couple of other runners out Cold but rather enjoyed it, a base layer thermal and a winter HH thermal running top with a light running jacket, gloves and headscarf and I was fine!! Good to be pushing the distance up slowly... just dont want to push too quickly!! Will run tomorrow morning too, around the same distance I think.

Portfolio to complete for uni for tomorrow so will have to go into uni after work

hope the lurgies clear up soon!! (I did see that somewhere?? Cant find it now)... and those with the Reynauds sufferers are ok too, not nice in this weather

13/12/2012 at 08:27

I'm happy, found them!!

Looks frosty out but that's about it. Home with poorly child who is currently tucking into toast so fingers crossed it stays there!!!

13/12/2012 at 09:16

sooooo cold with us this morning. felt like the coldest morning so far. managed a great 6 miles though.

just cause we can

13/12/2012 at 14:01

I lied, it wasn't just a bit frosty, it was absolutely baltic and frost/ice/snowflakes still there, can't turn the washing line in case it snaps and the washing is like some kind of wired cardboard ... beautiful though so not complaining.

Slightly alarming at 2pm that it feels like dusk is already upon us!

13/12/2012 at 14:45

3 miles to work this morning, chily with a light dusting of snow.

13/12/2012 at 16:37

Good luck finishing your portfolio UTC.

Get well soon lurgified children !

Definitely milder here now, most of snow melted. Rest day today, but should get a decent run in tomorrow.

Bizarre topsy-turvy weather, freezing for a few days, then mild / wet .

Did my xmas food shop today (doing my annual dinner on Saturday ), lovely quiet supermarket, oh the joy . Thought I had better 'festify' the house up a bit for visitors coming, so got the tree up this afternoon whilst Mr Higgy puss was out.....OMG just as well! ! He headed straight for centre of tree and attempted to climb up the trunk , then spent about 20mins trying to get all the deccies off the lower branches, helped himself to a chocolate coin (got that off him before he ate it ), then he dragged off a bauble to 'kill' elsewhere in peace . So I have now denuded the base of the tree and moved all the cat-attractions higher up......

13/12/2012 at 19:05

TP's cat thinks:

...mmmm, now I'll have to throw myself at the tree from that piece of furniture...

13/12/2012 at 20:42

not quite there with the portfolio yet but almost. have been told I can have some time to do it tomorrow at work. thankfully. still in uni but heading home now as cold tired and hungry ... and about to be chucked out/locked in... I dont fancy either

lovely run this morning, if a tad freezing... looking forward to tomorrow's run!!!

lol TP, a few of my cats used to do that exact thing of climbing up thtree was destroyed by their recreational climbing!! Fun times though, miss having a wee cat around!

Glad you found the smileys CC!

Hope everyone has warmed up!! Im off to pedal on home up the hill! Happy days!!

13/12/2012 at 20:44

oops seem to have cut out "....climbing up the tree trunk... we actually pinned our tree to the wall one year after "Jigsaw" wrecked the previous tree with his recreational climbing shennanigans!!".

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.