Scottish Runners

29,961 to 29,980 of 33,588 messages
13/12/2012 at 21:14

Just thought I'd give the festive smileys a go.

Some of them look quite silly

Edited: 13/12/2012 at 21:17
14/12/2012 at 06:04

morning

ugh... knackered this morning... thank god its Friday!! Still so much to do though!

After I get this portfolio in Im hoping to go for a swim tonight.

Run tomorrow morning then xmas shopping, catch up with friend and then club night out.... Sunday will be xmas shopping too... phew I need a holiday

Cant face a run this morning, feel sick with tiredness...  Will try and do a turbo session though...

14/12/2012 at 06:16

Morning Tri.

Tight legs so just walked Geordie this morning

Catch up son.

14/12/2012 at 07:49

Morning all. UTC good luck with the port-folio. Baby FFB busy doing that too, but that a rather differnet portfolio I suspect. She is getting edgy because Edinburgh has not sent her intruction to upload her digital one, and it is Edniburgh that she really wants to go to. It is nuts, the colleges look at the application then decide if they want them to upload a mini digital port folio, then decide if they want the full portfolio, and then interview .....

TP LOL re Mr Higgs . Tallulah has been going a bit mental too as we have been decorating the house. The tree goes up at the weekend so could be interesting. First Christmas she went no where near it, 2nd Christmas it was the odd biff at a bauble, 3rd Christmas she took to sitting under it and contemplating climbing it .... so 4th christmas ......

My training a bit haphazard. I am the woman in all the supermarket ads  Work is a bit mental, Christmas card making wirting and posting, present buying and wrapping, decorating house, cleaning house for Mum coming, Antarctic Odyssey business, and somewhere training . So instead of adding to the stress I am going with the flow; training if I can and as long as I am ticking over it is fine.

14/12/2012 at 08:19

Going with the flow is the best way to be FBunny - certainly that's the only way I can cope in this craziness at the moment!!! I'm always glad to have a schedule but if I compare what I actually do versus what I am supposed to do - hah!!!! I too feel like that supermarket woman ... although having eldest son home sick has enabled me to get a slight handle back on things!!! but have not written ANY Christmas cards yet, tree is almost in the house now though!

TP - that is v funny re the cat - reminds me of our Christmas trees during the early years of both the children ... same kind of mentality I guess

4 miles on the treadmill last night. Son much better but not allowed back to school today so a run when hubby makes in home tonight I guess or the treadmill again.

Small snowfall for us last night - first down in the bay. Tried looking for meteor showers a few times but was too cloudy and I wasn't getting up at 2 or 3am for a better look!!

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 08:19
14/12/2012 at 15:03

Afternoon all

Decent run today, and back in just before the worst of the rain started .

Tree still standing this morning, but someone had helped himself to another chocolate coin .......it was all chewed up on the floor with puncture marks through the foil, don't think he had eaten any of the choc tho, hopefully it tastes horrid to him as it is really bad for cats !!

The festive spirit must be afoot, on my run today a group of school children shouted 'keep going you are doing really well' and 'knees up!!!', but not in a sarcastic way , and a young guy on a mobile told me 'be careful going under that bridge, there is still a patch of ice' . (Swoon, faints) . Apart from that not many folk about on foot, but the roads, OMG, Christmas-tastically busy .

Good luck everyone getting all their various jobs done this weekend, sounds like a busy one ahead. I will probably do a long run tomorrow as the ice has mostly gone, and then I have to start my Big Dinner for the girls.....actually I really enjoy cooking, especially a good roast , its the shopping part I hate .

14/12/2012 at 19:54

Evening

Glasgow City centre was mobbed today at lunch time.

15/12/2012 at 13:55

Bit of the old "bah humbug" going on here- OH has put lights up, I've ordered 4 prezzies off amazon for my family, and that's it!

Spose I'll get a bit more done nearer the time. we'll go out for a meal on the day itself, and I'll be working most days anyway.

Hoping for a long run tomorrow- getting sick of the tready!

15/12/2012 at 14:22

afternoon,

finally submitted portfolio last night... was exhausted by the time I got home last night at around 9.30pm.... just back from a 2k swim... really good.  Also got lovely clip in pedals for my new bike!! They were finally found at the post office yesterday so I picked them up before work. Going to try get them fitted today. Planning turbo later and long-ish run tomorrow before the dreaded shopping in town. Tricia Ive done nothing... so you're not the only one

Lol TP, nice supportive kids... more used to getting chased by them

Just realised I said I would do Clyde Stride next year... hmmm.. need to devise a plan starting January

16/12/2012 at 14:33

Afternoon all

Well done UTC. Nice to get new pedals too .

Cooked christmas dinner last night - I have one thing to say and that is YUM!!!!

Anybody wanna turkey sandwich? (Passes around cranberry sauce, chestnuts and stuffing). Did I say I liked turkey  YUM!!!!!!

Good run yesterday, 14m around Pollok. Rest day today, just a walk in the park to stretch the legs (and digest the vast quantities of food). Puss is enjoying getting turkey left overs in his bowl .

Big training week planned this week whilst the weather is mild .

16/12/2012 at 15:06

Hey  UTC- Clyde stride is bit away yet- I'm plannig Glasgow- Edin, then Strathearn marathon before we get to that!

Finally manged to get a decent long run without the weather intervening- only about 12 miles, but this is definitely progress- I didn't feel I'd really got going again after Glen Ogle, but now I'm definitely up for a bit of increased mileage over the holiday period - not that I've that much time off, but , even though we're still working, things DO tend to ease up a bit , 'cos folk don't usua;;y want to be in hospital for routine operations over christmas time- so we end up with just the more urgent stuff happeninig.

Went to see "the hobbit" last night- they've padded out the story with quite a bit of extra orc- fighting, plus dribs and drabs of bits of Tolkein which come from other books, I think. Unfortunatly the cinema was evacuated after about 2 1/2 hours- fire alarm, and they couldn't re- start at the same point ( don't understand this at all.apparently they could only re-start the 3d, not the 2d version ). Se we can get a refund, and re- watch the whole thing. GRRRrrrrrrrrr.

I was huge fan of the LOTR films, but I'm swithering about the hobbit  - pity not tosee the whole film, though.

16/12/2012 at 18:31

Hello Back from a relaxing weeks holiday on Loch Sween. A very beautiful part of the country I hadn't even heard of until very recently! Loaded with the cold now though

I'm a big LOTR fan too tricia so was looking forward to seeing the Hobbit. I did read that it had been padded out somewhat. Shame you got turfed out before the end!

16/12/2012 at 20:00

Shame about the film Tricia - very annoying.

Welcome back MrsMac - get well soon.

I think I must be one of the few people that hates all that LOTR / Hobbit Elf-sh!te, so I definitely wouldnt be going to see any of it, but was talking to a friend who is a big fan - she said Hobbit is not even a self-contained film (although is a short book, comparatively), they have made 3x 3hr films . Talk about miking the audience . Elf this, elf that. It can elf - off as far as I'm concerned .

However, my must see film this Xmas will be Life of Pi .

16/12/2012 at 21:03

I'm enough of a Tolkien nerd to want 3 x 3hr films. Sad I know. After all Tolkien had to pad the Hobbit story a lot in later writings to make it fit in with his evolving 'creation'. I do wonder how you can develop much drama from the first third of the book though.

I always try and avoid doing much for Xmas before mid-month as it's my birthday, but this year I am using moving house as an excuse to pretty much avoid doing anything. Did have a pleasant birthday weekend amongst the packing with a decent parkrun and a really nice run in the woods in gorgeous weather today. Plus lots of food.

But I will now enjoy a week of Xmas cakes and sweets at work followed by a couple of parties.

17/12/2012 at 06:22

Morning

Really busy weekend again. Need to catch up now

17/12/2012 at 07:03

morning BM

yep busy here too, christmas shopping yesterday, town wasn't too bad, almost there.

a few things to order still. hope they all come on time.

training ticking over til January and new plan kicking in then. More news on that to come

17/12/2012 at 09:45

Morning you lot

UTC - sounds exciting!!!

57.5 - Happy Birthday . I tried to read the Hobbit when I was a kid, couldnt get into it, its like marmite, you either love all that fantasy created world and made up language, or hate it. I hated it. Strange because I was a huge Sci Fi fan, loved the Dune series, read loads of Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick etc, loved original Star Wars films (apart from the Ewoks ). But I could never buy into the Rings .....probably too much toward the fantasy end and not enough science for me .

Off for a run today .

17/12/2012 at 12:45

Happy belated birthday 57.5  I too am enough of  a Tolkien nerd to be happy with 3 x 3hr films

No training for me over the weekend, which I am chilled with: just too much to do. The tree went up and baby FFB and I went out and scavenged some holly. The presents are now all wrapped apart from the bay FFB's stocking fillers, and I still have to put the ribbons and decorations on the baby FFB's presents.

I am hoping that I can now focus a bit more on some training this week starting with a run tonight after work.

Did I say I had entered the Fling? Also Clyde Stride. Will do perthshire Highland, and not sure about Strathearn. I woudl like to do it again but it is the weekedn after my 'notable' birthday so not sure whether to keep that weekend free or run ....

17/12/2012 at 14:46

Hurrah FFB - Wow, the 2013 Fling is going to be a massive Forum meet-up party at this rate if we all make the start line .

Well the Hobbit / Ring film makers have certainly tapped into a popular series, cannot blame them for trying to make it epic / dragging as much money out of the fans as possible (delete depending on marmite opinion - see above ). To me its a bit like going to see your favourite team play in a Cup Final and they stop after 20mins and tell you to come back next year and pay another entry fee . Actually, if LOTR was 20mins I might have gone to see it . Typically Tolkien films are a bit like James Bond - about 2hrs 45mins too long . (Wow, I'm making myself popular today eh? ).

Anyway, back to running . Ramping up the mileage this week. My event is 23rd March, so this is the time for getting in some decent long groundwork training and building some endurance and strength.

17/12/2012 at 15:21

For what it is worth I think that for Peter jackson it is more about a labour of love than wringing as much money as he can out of the audience

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.