Scottish Runners

29,981 to 30,000 of 33,547 messages
17/12/2012 at 16:25

Thats because you like it .

I hate it, therefore I take the more cynical viewpoint.

You could say the same about the Harry Potter books / films, or that ridiculous Twilight Saga, which has loads of fans  - if you love it, its great, if you think its all a bit boring, like I do, then you really cannot see the point of watching hours of it .

A friend of mine goes to lots of Fantasy Conventions, which to me would be  dulls-ville central, but she probably thinks the same about running a long way for the sake of it . She was down at the NECC in B-Ham a few weeks ago and saw the bizarre sight of Darth Vadar and two Stormtroopers having a fag with an Elf and some caravan salesmen, (who were from the Camping Show in the next hall) .

17/12/2012 at 18:15

Another tolkein nerd here - well I devoured The Hobbit when I was about 10 although can't remember if I read TLTR but I LOVE the films I'm afraid. Had heard mixed reviews about Hobbit but will probably go anyway over the holidays if we can get babysitter.

Belated happy birthday 57.5. My sister's birthday is 16th December so in our house there was never any tree or decorations before then. I keep telling her she should be like the queen and have two birthdays then she can have a summer one like me!!

Glad some of you are getting out and about and building up the running.

UTC - not long 'til the holidays now ...

I did orienteering on Saturday morning which was fun, but after son being  on Weds, daughter was on Friday and I felt seriously  yesterday but not actually ill. So feeling a wee bit better today but it aint great ... and that was meant to be a decent long run for me today - booo.  Oh well, better to hope we've all got it over and done with before the holidays ... hopefully some running later in week for me, have not eaten enough to be able to run I think - is a great pre-christmas diet if you need that kind of thing!!!

I love Turkey, cold turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce sandwiches are just the best.

17/12/2012 at 18:42

(passes Cragchick a cold turkey and cranberry sandwich). Get well soon CC, that sounds Yuk !!!

I have loads of turkey left here...I'm not sure I can face more of the stuff next week .

17/12/2012 at 19:03

have a lovely (if a bit of a faff) recipe for turkey biriyani, otherwise freeze some I guess ... a few years back when Scarlett was a baby I did internet shopping and ordered a 'nice' (supposedly happy) turkey but got delivered a cheapy frozen one, after a big arguement I ended up with what I wanted so had TWO of these flipping things. So I cooked the spare one and froze it in sections ... kept us in meals for weeks.

Not quite up to the turkey sandwich yet ... tomorrow maybe!

So is it Thames Towpath in March?  Thankfully Fling not until end of April ... and then of course the WHW.  Am touting for my support crew but a bit bewildered about accomodation for the end - have no idea when I will finish clearly. Think it will be a campsite of sorts at this rate, cheap acommodation in Fort William is not plentiful - even the travelodge are charging £70 for a room at the moment. This is why I like unsupported races ... I only have myself to blame though!!!

Am thnking of trying a 'Mountains to the Sea' run of my own devising in September ... have worked out if I start in Braemar and run through the Lairig Ghru (always fancied that), up over Meall a`Bhuachaille, through Abernethy Forest to Nethy Bridge, onto Speyside Way at Grantown and follow it down to Spey Bay and along Moray Coastal Trail back to Findhorn it's about 100 miles ... bit more local than the UTMB and may get a few other souls to join me for all or part ... or perhaps not!!

17/12/2012 at 19:29

Belated Happy Birthday 57.5

Get well soon cragchick. There seems to be lots of yucky bugs going about just now. That run sounds amazing cragchick

Think I'm turning a corner with this stinking cold. Not been able to run so its about time it bu**ered off!

17/12/2012 at 21:39

Well if I get organised I am sure I'll be welcoming company for some of it ...

Colds always need a few easy runs to clear the gunk off the chest I think!

17/12/2012 at 22:20

That sounds a nice route Cragchick .

Yes, its the dreaded 'flat' towpath in March .... you know I like it really . Actually I'm really looking forward to it next year, I was this year too, but there is always that uncertainty about the route, distance etc when you havent done it before, lurking in the back of your mind. This time I know what training I have to do and I'm ready for it , and the hypothermic-inducing weather is in the hands of the Gods . Then Fling in April, and South Downs in June .

OMG that is expensive for Fort William!!! How about booking a tent space at the camp site just in case you get there at a weird time, and then if you dont need it just go to a B+B?

18/12/2012 at 06:20

Morning you lot

Tired as collected younger son from school 6th Year Christmas Dance at 12:15am this morning. Stifles a yawn

Need to fully catch up

Morning Tri

back later.

18/12/2012 at 07:22

morning

back from a short run this morning. nice pace, really enjoyed pushing it a bit harder.

CC that run sounds glorious!!!

Hope your son enjoyed his dance

veggie here so no turkey for me... spuds and veggies are quite enough once the soup and all the other cr*p is consumed... with enough room for pudding of course

3 more days and counting (til I finish work...)...

18/12/2012 at 12:24

Morning (just about!)

Late night for you Birkmyre !

UTC - nearly there for your holidays , hang in there! Agree re the food - its sooooo much. I thought I was being quite sparing with the portions on Saturday night but we still ended up stuffed to the gunnels and with loads left. Luckily when I go to the extended Familia on Xmas Day there are so many people you only get a small serving of each thing (which is plenty - especially as I have already had one Xmas dinner ).

Off to the post office this morning to send some completed work back - expected to be out for hours and stuck in queues - loads of people out walking on the streets and roads jammed with cars, but no-one in the local shops ....very strange .

Turkey stir fry for tea tonight .

18/12/2012 at 13:32

Afternoon all, spin bike session last night, and run tonight assuming that the low grade migraine I have been nursing all morning goes away. No visual disturbance, and headache receding quite a bit, but the nausea is pretty chronic still

Just had to book flights to Luton (and back) on 28th, and was suprised that they were not too expensive. Mr FFB's aunt died on Sunday evening. Perfect timing, but there was a sort of inevitability about it.

18/12/2012 at 15:15

Afternoon All.

STOP PRESS

Looks like the Loch Katrine run in aid of Alzheimer Scotland will be 10th March. 3 distances will be on offer: 10k, half marathon and full marathon. Entries will open soon. It will be a no frills event with the emphasis on as much of the entry fee as I can manage going to Alzheimers.

Edited: 18/12/2012 at 15:26
18/12/2012 at 17:29

oooh, could be interesting ... is that road or trail or mixture ('scuse my ignorance)!

18/12/2012 at 17:39

Sounds great FFB, will it almost definitely be that weekend as I need to book leave to get there early? Also I'm even more ignorant, though I know more or less where it is where is the start?

Sorry to hear about Mr FFB's aunt though.

Too much work getting in the way of running these days but had a nice but wild one on Sat and hope to get out agaoin tomorrow. Meanwhile back to the Christmas chores!

18/12/2012 at 20:50

Evening

TP: Yeah late night. He was off today so was charged 1 hour of walking Geordie.

57.5: A very belated happy Birthday

18/12/2012 at 21:13

Birkmyre:  to late night

to demise of Mr FFB's aunt

Short 3-miler for me, lovely day for it though - was quite alarming how many large chunks of the coastal path seem to be missing just up in Findhorn from Saturdays 'perfect storm'. Was so strange to read in paper about destruction in Lossiemouth etc ... it didn't seem THAT windy on Saturday night, living so close the coast we are usually pretty aware of serious weather. Hubby was cycling through Lossie on Sun morning and saw all the broken harbour walls - said the waves were perfect for kayak surfing though ... erm I think I'll pass on that one!!!  He definitely didn't rush back for his kayak though ...

18/12/2012 at 21:25

evening

oops dont know if I wished 57.5 a Happy Birthday either... sorry!!

Lol TP, getting there, this week hasnt been too bad so far. Only 2 days to get through.

Good swim tonight. Did a 750m TT (after a good warm up) and despite not having done any swim racing for months I was a minute faster than my previous PB These drill sessions are working!! And Im sure if it had been a race I would have pushed a tad harder! Pretty happy with that... even though Id still be considered quite slow within a club... still happy to have in less than a year almost halved my 750m swim time!!

Meant to say condolensces to Mr FFB....

FFB, sounds great, Id definitely be up for your race as long as I could make it work wise (travel etc).

Run tomorrow morning again and turbo once home from work, friend coming over for pre xmas catch up

18/12/2012 at 21:29

Crag: Yeah it was a late night, but needs must.

FFB: Sorry to hear your news

18/12/2012 at 22:36

Good sessions UTC and CC.

Elspeth, yes definitely that weekend.

The start and finish will be at the trossachs pier at the bottom end of loch katrine. Which is in the Trossachs and can be reached via Callander or Aberfoyle. There is parking and facilities including a cafe (which will be open). It an out and back along a private road (sorry no trail) with lots of undulation in all 3 distances.  I will probably set up entry via entry central, but will keep you posted.

18/12/2012 at 22:54

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Too much house moving activity for running this week. Didn't seems too windy here the other day but the pictures of the dunes at the mouth of the Lossie suggest the water level was amazingly high. Loch Katrine sounds like a good alternative to the ever more commercial Inverness half!

- gratuitous Xmas smiley...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.