Scottish Runners

30,001 to 30,020 of 31,027 messages
16/01/2014 at 21:27

Yes- a run out to Falkirk would be great, but I'm not going to be able for it except maybe 25th jan or 1st/ 8th march- any of those suit?

16/01/2014 at 21:30

Wow! not much good news on here!

TANGER- NB have a good shoe for wide feet although I don't know the exact model!

Tiger- Good luck in the house hunt!

Tricia- Me too on the long run! have to do 16 on my own with my IPOD

Anyway, 7 miles for me tonight, 3 in 22:30 + 3 in 20:30. 

16/01/2014 at 21:37

Tricia - I could potentially do 25th Jan - that would be good timing actually . And could probably arrange us a lift back if required, otherwise it would be head-torches back to Maryhill .

16/01/2014 at 21:44

Oops last should have read Mizuno Wave Inspires ( not riders)

16/01/2014 at 21:50
Oh wish I could join you on your run to Falkirk! Might be lagging somewhat behind though!

Successful house hunting TP!

Tangerine twirly - he's talking rubbish again, never worn wave riders! Wave inspires are wide enough for me though and my usual road shoes. Would recommend a road shoe for Lochalsh though not one's you mind getting muddy but it's about 50/50 road/trail so need a bit of cushioning.

Been a busy work week but fitted a few wee runs in.
16/01/2014 at 21:52

Dunno about lagging behind Elspeth - I'm currently pushing 10.20's on my long runs - especially in these 'sofa's' i.e. New balance shoes !

17/01/2014 at 17:36

Are there really runners who mind about getting their 

shoes muddy? God how do they cope, u could only run 

about 2 months a yr or on the treadmill.

Thanks for all the advice on shoes, going to head into run4it 

for a gait assessment thingy in next few wks I think, see what 

gets recommended. Training program starts Monday so 

should get shoes b4 the mileage starts ramping up and 

get them broken in a bit.

17/01/2014 at 17:40

Accepted a friend request on map my run from a girl in my 

street who I have met out running, knew she was way faster 

than me as she regularly passes me. But she had done a 19mile run and a 25mile run this wk at 9mM 

I am in awe!

I am a plodder.

17/01/2014 at 18:07

That is certainly mad mileage at that speed !

My running shoes are practically black - you would think I had done cross country in them, but its actually from running through all the mounds of rotted leaves on the pavement that have never been cleared all Winter! I despair that Glasgow really is a manky hole sometimes ! Currently having bin-store blitz with help of neighbours - our bulk uplift has not been done for over 8 weeks and we are drowning in rubbish !

10m this morning...quite a nice day.

17/01/2014 at 18:09

Actually I think the council are saving all their money so that when it is Commonwealth Games time they will have a total blitz around here and it will be so clean you can eat your dinner off the street - this is what they did during the Olympics - which is probably why they have cut back on services now .

17/01/2014 at 19:41

Thats me entered in the Loch Katrine marathon, thanks to nagging from OH Ive created a monster!!

Oooh, all this shoe talk and no one mentioned Hokas?!

17/01/2014 at 20:00

:-P MrsShelley

17/01/2014 at 20:04
Ha Mrs Mac - I was going to mention Hokas but thought all you real ultra runners would laugh at me using them when I hardly go any distance. Think they're great though!

Glad to hear you've entered Loch Katrine.

Anyone doing D33?
17/01/2014 at 20:07

Hah! Hokas...Schmokas . Never tried them, but they must be comfy with all that padding !

I think Cragchick might be doing D33?

17/01/2014 at 23:04

Not doing D33 this year did it last year but saving myself for a really good marathon time at Lochaber.

18/01/2014 at 10:49

Hi All,

I am back and managed to read back. Wow lots going on.

My training lacking a little focus at the moment and I have abandoned today's run due to a distinct lack of motivation due to the weather coupled with a knee niggle. This niggle has been hanging around since Antarctica. It does not get any worse nor any better. It does not hurt when running, and is just a low level underlying soreness when at rest or walking. I am pretty sure that it is the tendons pulling because my inner thigh is tight. So lots of stretching today and I will get a massage booked and I am going to the orthotist to see if maybe my gait has changed.

I have one last Antarctic blog entry to post and should get that up later today.

My Loch Katrine event is filling fast. Half and 10k are both full and the marathon is heading that way too . I am quite flattered and honoured that so many people want to do it when it is such a no frills event. FYI the marathon has 2100 feet of total elevation

As for my own racing, well I have got my year lined up: D33, Fling, Great Glen, Glenmore 24, Volcano Marathon.

Yep, I could not resist the call of the volcano. So, yes, it is only a standard marathon distance, but at 14,000 in the Atacama desert and temperatures of 30 - 40 degrees that is going be more like an ultra. Only 40% of the normal oxygen levels. Start line on the tropic of Capricorn and the route takes you past an active volcano.

I will keep blogging, but over the next couple of months I will migrate it onto another site. There is finally light at the end of the tunnel with regard to Aberdeen as my contract will end soon. Other than that I am putting a synopsis together for a book as I have decided that I want to try my hand at writing (something I have always wanted to do) starting off with my Antarctic experiences. I am also going to look into starting to do some motivational speaking.

See what happens when you have some down time  Just too much time to think while I was stranded in Antarctica

18/01/2014 at 14:53

Antartic to the atacama! that some contrast in conditions!. Sounds like a good thing to aim for.

I'm just back from a rather dreary 16 mile run in the bleurch weather- went through multiple puddles, struggled with visibility due to the rain / fogging on my glasses ( note to self- must try running in contacts in the rain) - after about 13 miles I had a nosebleed- so the last 3 miles were done with a wodge of tissues stuffed up my nose!- This is a bit of a regular feature for me- it happened at the LN marathon 2 years ago- so now all my blood stained running clothes are in the washer!

Having dificulty persuading my OH that running is a sane activity at the moment!

18/01/2014 at 14:57

I'm just back from my 16 miler too although no blood! that doesn't sound good! hope your alright!

18/01/2014 at 15:11

My last Antarctic blog entry (although there will be a few 'mop up' entries.

18/01/2014 at 15:59

tricialitt- have u tried antibiotic cream for nose? My 17yr old used to suffer from nosebleeds all the time and 

kept getting sent home from school with them. Doc prescribed a cream 

to put inside nose and she has only had a couple of nose bleeds 

in 4-5 yrs since.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.