Scottish Runners

30,021 to 30,040 of 31,032 messages
18/01/2014 at 16:14

Haven't really tried any treatment- it rarely happens except when I'm running. Of course, once it starts on a run, it doesn't stop 'til you stop running, so stuffing tissues up your nose and running home is the only option! I really thought the first aiders would pull me out of the marathon when I turned up at their checkpoint wanting more tissues, as I had blood all over my hands nad top- a little goes a long way!- managed to wash most of it off for the finishing line photo! ( not that I ever buy them)

A run out to falkirk next weekend sounds like a great idea- anyone else going to join us? I am VERY slow at the moment.

18/01/2014 at 18:11

What do you mean 'real ultra runners' Elspeth? Done an ultra = real ultra runner! I'm D33ing

You've certainly have the adventure bug FFB! Great news the races are filling up

An eventful run by the sounds of it tricia

20 miles on the Fife coastal path for me today. Managed most of it before the heavens opened. Really unfit at the moment, feel like I've been hit by a bus

18/01/2014 at 18:31

Eeek to the blood Tricia - hope you can get that sorted out.

FFB - yep you are officially off your loop (i.e. you are MAD)  - but the book sounds like a great idea!

Saw two houses in Troon today - one really lovely which I might put in an offer for if I get around to it quick enough, and another total shit-tip! I've seen some real filthy places on this house hunting trip - so the nice ones really stand out! I'm not expecting show-home standard by any means, but it would be nice if they would just like hoover the carpet or clean the surfaces if they know someone is coming? You know, like, cos they are expecting money for these holes .

Decorating for me tomorrow - will get the bathroom painted in a day, in preparation for the 3 different estate agents / sharks I will have circling the pool on Monday!!!

Might even get to do some running next week!

18/01/2014 at 23:50

OH - My suggestion to solve your double booking dilemma in June is to do Hoy yourself and send your son to do the Dirty 30 . Actually, you could send him anywhere other than 2 miles up the road ahead of me...

I periodically get the nosebleed dilemma, but have actually perfected the angle of head tilt to avoid blood flow either out the nose of down the throat. Must look pretty comic trundling down the road with the head tilted back. Hoping never to get a nosebleed in a race though.

That is some speedy miles from both Rich and TT's neighbour. I'm still not mentally ready for any hard work 13 weeks out from Boston, but I did a decent 13 miler the other night which a look at my log shows me was the longest non stop run since last May. It might be time to stop coasting on the year of Ultra training I put in from March 2012 to March 2013 .

Good luck with the house hunting TP, and the writing FFB.

19/01/2014 at 12:35

Think you may be safe from the young pretender this year 57.5 

19/01/2014 at 18:55

Long day cleaning and decorating bathroom - must count as cross training?  I'm looking forward to a modern house where you don't have to stand on the top rung of a 7ft ladder and still use an extension pole to paint the ceiling (and I aint exactly short!) ...but I do like all this space, Oh what a dilemma!!

I'm hoping this counts as strength work as I just got my payment email for GUCR  - two weeks to send payment, so its decision time ! Eeeeeeeek!

Gotta do it really !!!! Four months to build some bigger miles, a return to my home turf after a 20yr absence, in the exact same week as 20yr anniversary of gucr? What's not to like !

19/01/2014 at 20:35

Hi was hoping to get a bit of advice on the D33......

Could someone who's done it advise me what sort of footwear I should be running this in? 

At the moment I'm bopping about in Nike Lunar Glide 5's. Will these be appropriate? If not what should I be wearing?

19/01/2014 at 20:41
Lots going on here!

FFB - enjoyed the blog as usual, sad that it's the last one! You have a lot lined up for this year, mine is much more modest but I must say the October training run with you was one of the highlights of last year.

TP - a biggie for you as well, will look forward to reading about it afterwards!

Kennyyan - D33 is pretty much suitable for anything you'd wear on road though there may be a few muddy patches. Sounds like a few folk doing it, trying to organise the rest of my year's leave (leave year ends 31st Mar around that, Loch katrine and a course in Aberdeen. Tricky.

Foul weather here today, hoping for better for my day off tomorrow. Windy and heavy rain all day, feeling the need to get out by tomorrow though.
19/01/2014 at 21:01

Funny weather day here. Pleasant in Auldearn, wind and rain for a run this morning 19 miles east in Elgin, then nice when I got back here. Also ran in Findhorn later in the afternoon which had a bit of wind so must have been on the weather divide.

Go for it TP. How hard can a few miles on canal towpaths be?

19/01/2014 at 21:11
elspeth fay wrote (see)

Kennyyan - D33 is pretty much suitable for anything you'd wear on road though there may be a few muddy patches. Sounds like a few folk doing it, trying to organise the rest of my year's leave (leave year ends 31st Mar around that, Loch katrine and a course in Aberdeen. Tricky.

Thanks for that. Very good news as I didn't really want to be paying for trail shoes. 

Did Loch Katrine half last year and it's a great event. 

20/01/2014 at 08:52

Morning all. A weekend of zero training for me  Which may not have been a good move. I slept in yesterday, something I rarely do and so by the time I was up and saw all the other stuff I needed to do the run postponed from Saturday got cancelled.

I suffer nose bleeds quite a lot, but oddly, rarely when running. I suspect that may not be the case at 14,000 feet

TP its 18 years since we last moved house and I still remember the stress  Good luck.

Elspeth, I will still blog. I have a few in mind that come off the back of Antarctica and I will be blogging this years journey. I am hoping to migrate my blog (and all previous entries) to a new site, as the odyssey site will need to close down at some point in the next 6 months or so. But all relevant info will move. The new site will hopefully be a launch pad for my writing and some motivational speaking.

I just wore road shoes for D33. It was very wet last year and some tricky muddy patches where I slithered around a bit, but there is quite a bit of the trial that is tarmac and so I saw no point in wrecking my trail shoes on it.

Off to Edinburgh later to meet with someone about some work. Just a small piece of consultancy, but if I win it, it might act as a bridge to get me out of Aberdeen and back home to hunt more effectively for longer contract in central belt.

20/01/2014 at 09:54

Thanks BM

20/01/2014 at 11:24

How many of u have done Lochalsh dirty 30 (CC I know u have so this directed at u mainly) ? 

Got new trainers at wkend, Brooks Ghosts, they have pretty 

rugged, grippy sole, will they b adequate or should I get some 

trail shoes? 

After 12yrs of running in stability shoes, cos that's what I was told I needed 

when 1st started running, I had gait analysed on treadmill 

yesterday and it is completely neutral. That explains the blisters 

on instep and why my Plantar Faciitis came back as soon as I changed 

from running in an array of cheap trainers back into my trail adrenalines, caused by too 

much support rather than not enough. That's why my feet love 

converse, most pf sufferers wouldn't b able to wear converse as they need support, 

my pf feels better in them. Run today felt fab and foot feels great.

20/01/2014 at 12:05

Although about 50%  is on roads, Lochalsh Dirty 30 lives up to its name. It has one very muddy section through the forest (even in 2013 when it had been pretty dry). The section over the pass is pretty rough underfoot (bouldered path). I ran it it in road shoes last year - not sure I'd use a shiny brand new pair of shoes. Great fun

20/01/2014 at 15:44

They won't b shiny or brand new by June believe me, in fact 

they r no longer shiny as of 1st run in them this morning. 

Foot feels so much better.

20/01/2014 at 15:51

Have 600miles of training to do b4 Lochalsh so even if 

do 1 run a wk in other shoes the brooks will still b coming to 

the end of their life by June.

20/01/2014 at 16:18

Good to hear your feet feel better TT - nothing worse than uncomfortable shoes!

Good luck with the job search FFB - be good to see you back in Glasgow more often.

10m run for me, in really quite worn trainers...followed by a barrage of estate agents...definitely more positive than last time, well 2 out of 3 of them were, looks like prices are finally picking up after 5yrs of slump !

Lol 575 - I have to do it - all those flat paths are calling to me !

20/01/2014 at 16:48
freefall bunny wrote (see)

I just wore road shoes for D33. It was very wet last year and some tricky muddy patches where I slithered around a bit, but there is quite a bit of the trial that is tarmac and so I saw no point in wrecking my trail shoes on it.

Cheers. This seems to be the consensus from most people I've asked about it so that's what I'll go with.

21/01/2014 at 19:32

Evening all

No running today, back over in Troon again - I feel more like this is where I want to live and now I just need to find a way to make it happen . Saw one really good house, and 3 okay but would need a lot of work. Need to stay positive and keep looking!

Then a very very wearing visit to my house by another estate agent, who was a SHOUTY MAN!!!! I nearly said to him, its okay I am just sitting here, no need to SHOUT!!!! Drove me round the bend, so I was very glad to see the back of him and needless to say will not be using his company, as I wouldn't want folk coming to view my flat being subjected to his SHOUTY used car sales man approach either !

Hopefully get a run tomorrow, and send in my gucr money !

21/01/2014 at 22:36

oh god, have lost track after being off here for a week or so!!

57.5, yes was funny old weather today wasn't it?  I did 3ish on the beach this morning and was quite nice, by the time I headed up to Forres on my bike about lunchtime the wind had picked up a treat but it blew me all the way back home again afters.  Where did you run in Findhorn?

TT - last year I ran the Dirty Thirty in my Inov8 roclites - they are grippy trail shoes, but not aggressive but were a good compromise. Other half is correct - there is a muddy bit in the woods (and it was very dry last year but still muddy), however I think if it was wetter no shoe would make a lot of difference.  The only other stretch where I thought more grip was beneficial was coming off the top of the lump we climbed after half way. That was quite a technical little trail  and my roclites were not great ... but then there are some decent road stretches too so it will always be a compromise I'm afraid!

TP - sounds like it's all happening with you then ... a house move? and of course you have to do the GUCR

Well I failed to get into UTMB, and then dithered so missed the boat on the TdS too ... sigh, obviously wasn't meant to be!! So instead I have signed myself up for the 3 x 3000m in the Lakes in October - just can't keep away from those Lakeland hills.

Currently a bit broken - tight hip = sore knee, tight back = sore neck so off to osteo on Thurs in the hope she can mend me or I'll be wondering about the Dee 33. I DO have a couple of 18-miler under my belt but had hoped to not be broken already!!! I ALWAYS do something to myself in January ... sigh  If I do get to the Dee 33 I'll likely be doing it in my Saucony Peregrines - they may as well be road shoes really as grip is pretty pants on anything too steep! Although they gave me no blisters on Lakeland Trails Ultra so I can't be too rude about them!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.