Scottish Runners

30,081 to 30,100 of 33,221 messages
01/01/2013 at 08:24
Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all had a nice time whatever you were doing. Quiet night here with the inlaws.

Awesome mileage TP. Makes me feel very inadequate with my 500ish miles. Too many niggles and too much tennis I think. Hopefully better balance this year.

Good job FFB. Will hopefully get the entry sorted once I've checked the calendar with Mrs LB.
01/01/2013 at 08:43

Haapy New Year you lot

01/01/2013 at 09:35
Morning all, happy 2013!!
Hope everyone had a good one! We just went to a local pub here on Arran (yes I made it back!!) which had a good atmosphere and brought in the bells there
Loony dook at 12 after breakfast and a run of some sort this afternoon. Should be fun!!
FFB, race looks great and the half would fit in nicely with my plans I think I'll enter asap, once home and on a normal keyboard instead of a phone
Have a great day everyone! All the best for 2013!!!
01/01/2013 at 09:58

HAPPY NEW YEAR  A very quiet one for Mr FFB and I. Another stormy night, but brighter now, so I shuld start my new year with a run.

A nice trickle of entries coming in for my event. Thanks folks.

TP, I kept the prices down as it is no frills plus a first time event, although someone did think that meant no water stations  What it really means is no goody bag and no tshirt and a bog standard medal. Hopefully the low prices might encourage more entries too.

01/01/2013 at 10:49

Happy New Year Tri and ffb

01/01/2013 at 12:38
Ffb a medal is good enough for me;) just back from the loony dook in the sea :S brrrrrrr is all I can say but good craic!

Trail run shortly once all body parts have thawed gorgeous day here!!
01/01/2013 at 12:48

Happy New Year

That is a great mileage total TP

I'm shivering at the thought of that UTC

5 miles in the sunshine this morning

01/01/2013 at 13:08

UTC I've also been for quick 5 minute dip with our "Polar Bear" OWS group (5ºC water) but followed immediately by 8 mile run so no shivers for me. Lovely sunny morning here.
FFB Els and I looking into logistics of getting down for the 10 March. Also need to decide whether I commit to the full marathon.

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 13:08
01/01/2013 at 14:18

Happy new year- the lurgy is receding- I mananged a wheezy 2.5 km shufle on the tready yesterday, but today I felt much better, and am just back from 5 lovely miles along the canal- still too wheezy to push at anything other than recovery pace, but a few of these gentle runs will soon blow the cobwebs away, (I hope). Only 11 days 'til my ski trip!

Hope everyone enjoyed the festivities.

02/01/2013 at 10:25

Morning all

Eeeeek to going in the water yesterday UTC and OH !!

I too had a very quiet NY Eve, I don't like NY particularly, so just a couple of DVD's and an early night to avoid all the cr!p they put on the TV . There is something quite renewing and satisfactorily smug-making about waking up to the New Year without a hangover .

Had a good walk at Prestwick beach on NY day, quite a few people out, nice day but freezing wind, good dramatic big waves and foam blowing all across the beach. Could see across to the snow on Goat Fell and was thinking *hmmmm, wonder if UTC and BF are up there?*  Good walk then a very civilised left-overs lunch of cheese and cracker selection with a flask of tea in the car - nice change from a few years ago when all I had left for NY lunch was a roll and crisps !

Off for a run today, looks completely dead outside, this two day Scottish holiday thing is very bizarre ......two days to get over the partying maybe?  Apparently Scotland and New Zealand are the only countries to have two days holiday at NY .

Anyway, I digress, xmas tree is down, house is cleaned, time to get out and get on with some running and 2013 Wooo Hoooo .

02/01/2013 at 10:37

Happy New Year. 300 pages to read back now...

Managed 3 runs this week and 3 miles in 2013. Anyone in for Jantastic?

02/01/2013 at 11:44

Morning all,

OH, if you and Els can make it down that would be great. Also, happy to credit any distance, so if you wanted to do mre than a half but less than a marathon that is fine. Just let us know your distance when you finish. Can probably get someone to give you a lift up from Glasgow and back if needed.

We had a very quiet New Year and I did 7.2 miles yesterday, but paying the price of my minimal December training and Christmas eating  Our tree and decorations will come down tomorrow or Friday.

I have texted my clinet manager to ask for an extra couple of days off. Just don't feel ready or totally stress free yet for return to work. So, whilst it is a hit on my income I think I would rather have the extended break. Having my mum staying for a week was not relaxing

02/01/2013 at 12:53
Morning, and welcome back Ally! Did a nice 5k this morning in the wind and rain. So have officially covered 16k in 2013, good start anyway TP no we didn't go up goat fell this time, been up in the summer and cycled around in the spring so opted for more trail exploring this time and it was definitely worth it!
Jantastic Ally? No just planning on getting fitness back up, will detail further when home on laptop. The plan is now afoot!! Off to get the boat now.
02/01/2013 at 15:00

FFB - sounds like you need a couple of extra days to just relax and get started in on some gradual mileage building without having that extra stress of Xmas hanging over you . Getting your race entry set up was a great start to the New Year though .

(Throws out positive NY vibes across the forum )

Safe travels home UTC - looking forward to reading what you have planned .

Ally - good to see you back in training.

Nice run around Pollok Park today and extended out for a circuit of Bellahouston for a change, quite a lot of pedestrians in some areas of the parks, and dead in others (particularly when it started to rain!), and lots and lots of runners and cyclists out . So, thats 2013 kicked off with 14.2miles. Only have about eight or nine more weeks left for getting in the long training runs and back to backs.......and then I need to think about tapering for the 100........OMG .

02/01/2013 at 15:42

Thanks TP. Still not heard back from client : he may not actually switch his phone on until tomorrow, whcih leaves me with a quandry.

Getting a good few entries from  Edinburgh based folks, come on weegies, you need to catch up

adbru    pirate
02/01/2013 at 22:51

Hello peeps

Happy New Year and all that waffle......

Nice to see some familar names still here !

After a very unsettled past 2 years I am once again working full-time and hope to get back into some training.
I've basically done nothing for 2 years so set myself a short-term target of the Inverness Half - ( zero to half in 10 weeks, whats the worst that could happen  )

2 miles yesterday and today, now down in englandshire till friday night so these will be my rest days, planning 2 miles on sat and 3 on sunday as my lsr.

Anyone else planning Inverness in March ? 

03/01/2013 at 07:27

morning

welcome back adbru!! good luck with the half training!

TP, made it back safely thanks, not looking forward to work today

So, the big 3 for 2013 are:

1. Cape Wrath week (May)

2. Granite man Half Iron-Distance Triathlon (September)

3. Glen Ogle 33 Ultra (November)

Was planning on Clyde Stride but cant get a suitable Half IM late enough (unless in the USA) to allow me to recover and continue training so as there is Glen Ogle in November Ultra wise, I figured September gives me time for the Half IM then another 2 months to continue upping the mileage. I have 2 plans which integrate well (although have had to tweak things since Ive had to change plans slightly).

Also running every day in January. (January Marcothon). So far so good. Minimum 5k.

Easing back into intervals tonight at the gym.

Have a good day all.

03/01/2013 at 12:04

Good to see you back Adbru.

UTC - that sounds like a good year ahead . Half-iron? Definitely nuts .

Although I may be going for a swim myself in March, if the current state of the Thames Path is anything to go by .

Very mild today.

03/01/2013 at 17:10

Elspeth will have a surprise when she gets home - 2 more names added to Loch Katrine ...

03/01/2013 at 18:11

Good plans indeed UTC although I agree with TP. Half-IM defo nuts

That seems to be coming round quickly TP At least you don't need any hill training

Hiya adbru

Nice to see Elspeth & OH have their names on ffb's mara start list

Hope you got the extra days off ffb?

Had a rest day today after 5 running days on the trot. Got some much needed housework done though so back to it tomorrow.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.