Scottish Runners

30,101 to 30,120 of 33,549 messages
05/02/2013 at 08:23

Morning all. Opted for a spin last night.

Had an Ok journey into work this morning, not much snow at all really,some roads better gritted than others. I had a couple of wee slips but that that is mainly because I drive a ridiculous performance (Focus ST) car that has a wide low wheel base which has next to no road holding in the snow.

05/02/2013 at 16:05

Hi All.

I'm not sure if this is right place to post but I couldn't think of anywhere better.

I've just moved from Inverness to Kirkwall where I'll be working for the next 6 months. This coincides with me training for my first ironman at the end of June. I'll obviously trying to get in plenty of swims, cycles and runs in - my first two days here haven't had the most promising weather!

I wondered if there are any running or cycling (sorry to post on a running forum) groups/clubs in the Kirkwall area?

05/02/2013 at 16:43

If i remember correctly from last summer there is a running club which meets at the Pickaquoy Centre in Kirkwall I think on Tuesday nights. I believe there is/was also a triathlon club based at the Pickaquoy Centre. Hopefully there is someone who can give more info as It will be interesting for me to as I am going to be staying in Kirkwall from end of April till mid August.

05/02/2013 at 16:58

Richard - we have a running group which meets Thurs 6pm at the Picky centre, mainly at the gentler end of the spectrum but lots of speedier runners around if we dont' fit your bill. I can also put you in touch with some of the triathlon club members if you come along (not a triathlete myself).

The weather is not usually quite this bad!

05/02/2013 at 18:36

Internet finally connected. Lots of reading to catch up on!

05/02/2013 at 20:03

Despite the weather (gusting 60kts), managed to get a 20+ in.
Now beginning to feel I might complete the course at Loch Katrine

FFB Hopefully the "spin" was in the gym rather than the snowy roads.  Have a more modest performance Ford Focus which I don't find too bad in the snow (for a 2WD road vehicle). Just keep your foot off the throttle

05/02/2013 at 21:13

Briefly snowing here but its all gone again

Treadmill intervals tonight finishing with 400m reps @ 6.40min/mile. Ouch

05/02/2013 at 21:21

A good 6.5 miles this evening. How lovely to be able to get most of my run in the light.

05/02/2013 at 21:30

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, I can't make Thursday this week as I'm working but I'll certainly aim to be there next week. What sort of distances do you run on Thursdays?

05/02/2013 at 22:06

RichardH - usually about 5 miles at this time of year a bit more as days grow longer.

06/02/2013 at 05:34

up early for extra turbo and run. good swim last night.

OUCH indeed MrsMac... 400/800 reps are the work of the devil

06/02/2013 at 17:37

Well have met Richard - poor man will have to work with me for the next 6 months!

Still blustery out there but a late afternoon 8m iles better than nothing after a lazy week, blaming a bad cold.

CC - not such good news.

06/02/2013 at 19:30

Finally caught up reading back and found some time to post.

Looks like Kirkwall is suddenly the favourite place on the forum. Don't believe Elspeth by the way Richard, Orkney's weather is quite often that bad . But always clears up by the Hoy Half in June .

Looks like my internet free month has made me too late to run Loch Katrine Half on my next trip south. Maybe I should spend the weekend on the Fling course anyway as my last time on it was 1984... So far I'm not doing a convincing impression of an ultra runner this year with tonight's 9.5 miler my longest since Jan 1st. G2E might not be a good idea this year. Having a house 5km from work is going to be a good incentive to run twice a day however and with it light at 5pm (and hopefully some better weather) I can lengthen the basic commute. Long runs are still looking like a chore right now though .

06/02/2013 at 23:33

That is the numbers and medals ordered for Loch Katrine

07/02/2013 at 06:23

Morning you loy

Morning Tri

3.5M Steadily done. Cold and dry so far the forecast I think is snow later.

07/02/2013 at 07:07

morning BM

rest this morning and last night - really bad day at work with no break so was exhausted and have got up with a headache of the tiredness variety.

aaah FFB can I still enter the 10k?

CC hope the ankle clears up...

07/02/2013 at 12:48

Yikes, UTC  It is a bit full. The waiting list is open. Get yourself on the list and I will see what i can do, especially since you volunteered your partner for marshalling. Would he still be able to do that?

07/02/2013 at 14:20

Decent run this morning, no wind and no snow yet .

Good to see you back 57.5.

Ouch Cragchick, hope your ankle gets better soon.

Nice one on the medals FFB - I do like a medal after a race (and a tunnocks wafer) .

Must get back to work - got a client breathing down my neck for their sample results - honestly some folks want the results back before they have even posted you out the work . Of course, if they had actually got them to me when they promised rather than 3 days late, they would have the results by now .

Happy training all.

07/02/2013 at 19:25

No snow arrived then ! despite teh forecast.

07/02/2013 at 21:40

feeling much better after decent swim tonight, was sooooooo tired after work last night and this morning.... but glad I did something as it was another crazy day in work and would have been easy to bail and sit on my proverbial all night. Swim times have really come down lately too. Still have some work to do on technique though.... doubt I'll ever be an Ellie Simmonds or a Becky Adlington somehow..

Hope the foot is ok CC... take it easy!!!

FFB name entered onto reserves... cant believe I forgot, have been so busy. Bf is still happy to marshall though!!

Still tired tonight so early one and run in the morning.

Devils Burden relays at the weekend! Hoping I manage but I did enjoy it last year so should be good!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.