Scottish Runners

30,101 to 30,120 of 33,542 messages
03/01/2013 at 19:05

Good to see you back Adbru.

Spotted the additions from the islands

Good plans UTC. Glen Ogle is great. I really fancy doing it again, but I think that it might be just to close to Antarctica. I really need to get my events sorted. So far I have The Fling and Clyde Stride. Will add Perthshire Highland, but probaly not strathearn as that may be my birthday bash weekend.

Keep passing on the Loch Katrine details as it is not a SAL event and so not on their website so I am relying on word of mouth to advertise it.

03/01/2013 at 21:40

Lol MrsMac, very true . Yeah, it rolls around fast, which is why I have been training like a looney over Christmas. I also realise from doing this in 2012, that a full 3wk taper is definitely a good idea, so I build the miles through Dec, steadily increasing the back to back mileage, keep it high in Jan, then I can gradually bring things down as we approach March. I am using a 3 day back to back routine this time and will see how high I can go .

The only major climb on the route is where the Thames Path crosses the Ridgeway at about 70m, just after leaving Streatley, but it is actually not that bad cos its all on good trail . The worst bit last year was an evil set of railway steps at about 65ish, where I got the total jelly wobbles and was convinced there was something wrong with the stairs  I was sure someone was having a laugh and had swopped concrete for trampoline material, LOL, it was of course my legs giving way under me .

Tired tonight, 10mile run, then had a massive clear out of loads of old clothes, soooo many free cotton race t-shirts I have never worn  - time to hit the recycling centre tomorrow I think .

03/01/2013 at 22:12

Great session tonight. 30mins of intervals on the treadmill to ease myself back into them.. surprised I did not too bad considering have done zero intervals for a while. Day 3 of my January marcothon in the bag .. then did a Body Attack class. No pain no gain, eh...

Thats great FFB re- Glen Ogle.. is it mostly trail, similar to Speyside or different?

I will spread the word on Loch Katrine to a few people in work who may be interested, and will post to my club too. Will definitely be entering before end of weekend... this will be a great forum meet up

IM training plan kicks in Monday. Starts reasonably softly though so should manage... Cape Wrath training will kick in in a few weeks, once my fitness is back up to scratch as well, and both plans seem to merge well.

January and the 1st half of Feb  being used to build a base, and will do a few parkruns as well. Not this Saturday though as bf has a hill race in Callender... I'll be doing my run around the area, unless it looks pretty novice in which case I might decide to take part.

Your events sound good FFB.

Hope you enjoyed your rest MrsMac. I have a week's Annual Leave booked for end January so housework and lots of training will be the main activities.

Bed time....

03/01/2013 at 22:39

FFB Have added Loch Katrine to FB and to some other RW threads I participate in
UTC that's Els and I entered for Cape Wrath week. See you there ...

04/01/2013 at 07:27

morning

Just back from a short easy run this morning. All the trails/hills of Arran and last night's session have taken it out of me.... Turbo tonight.

Great OH, I cant wait, got the week confirmed at work yesterday so excited to get cracking with the training now.

Its FRIDAY I could get used to this 3-day week malarky

04/01/2013 at 09:46

Lots to catch up on I see.

04/01/2013 at 10:07

Morning all

Happy Friday UTC, and others that had to work this week .

I would love to do Cape Wrath again, there is no way I could fit it in this year, but I would like to go back and do the marathon again one year . Its a great place to run .

Off out to do some training in a bit.

04/01/2013 at 11:31

Morning all. Had a rest day yesterday and gave blood, so not sure what to do today. I am fast running out of time, so I think I might either opt for another rest day or see if I can grab 30 mins on the bike. Making the most of my extra days off and going to see life of Pi at the GFT this afternoon.

04/01/2013 at 12:01

Enjoy the movie ffb We're toying with that of The Hobbit this afternoon.

Cape Wrath is on my 'to-do' list as well.

Hill race sounds good UTC, you should go for it

Wee 4 miler this morning to blow off the cobwebs. Got a wee WHW jaunt planned tomorrow. Tyndrum to Victoria Bridge and back

04/01/2013 at 16:33

A'noon.

Any of you lot done the Campbeltown Half Marathon  ? 

Considering entering it and making a  long weekend of it. One of my nephews and younger son interested in running it . I know its taking place this year in late May, 26th I think.

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 16:34
04/01/2013 at 18:07

Hi.

Lots of good training going on.

Back home from Crieff yesterday. Some great trail runs there - serious hills and serious mud.

Time keeping at the parkrun tomorrow, then plan to do long run later.

04/01/2013 at 21:24

Lots to catch up on in the last week. Happy New Year to everyone and I hope your running goals all come to fruition this year!

Sounds like everyone is healthy again and at least running a little. I am in for Jantastic Ally Mac, and maybe for Inverness adbru. Hopefully for Loch Katrine too. 2570 miles for me in 2012, which sounds impressive until I admit that total was 2500 more than I managed on the bike, an omission that needs correcting in 2013.

North Ronaldsay was an interesting proposition for New Year. The weather was OK so I could run every day, but it was a very quiet 5 days! A couple of great runs on the beach meant I covered the whole coastline (not a big island!) but it was an issue trying not to have the whole of the native sheep population running ahead in a huge stampede. Another run covered every tarmac road on the island (15 miles of running, but there was quite a bit of doubling back to cover it all so there is maybe 10 miles of road). Interesting discovery in the Bird sanctuary on the island, the senior mens winners shield from the Kirkwall Half Marathon.

parkrun tomorrow, but probably as a volunteer. Enjoy timekeeping Alison, no-one ever seems to like that job.

04/01/2013 at 22:13

Birkmyre, I did the MOK half 2 years back and recommend it very highly - it was a great weekend. Great hospitality, cold pool to swim in... and fabulous goodie bag/massage/home baking.

BTW it fills up quickly... http://www.mokrun.com/

04/01/2013 at 22:26

I see the Kirky 12.5k race is open. For those who like a 'slightly undulating' course!

http://www.entrycentral.com/kirkintilloch12.5k

04/01/2013 at 22:38

57.5 - hope you brought the shield back with you! Can imagine NY on north ron being a bit different!

Mrs Mac - go for it - Cape Wrath entry in for us!

Needing to increase  my mileage if I'm going to do the marathon distance at Loch Katrine but looking forward to it, not an area I'm familiar with at all.

A few windy runs this week !Beautiful one on 1st though.

UTC - Glen Ogle is fairly similar to Speyside but better views!

05/01/2013 at 10:13

Morning all

Well done on the mileage 57.5 , although I am similar when it comes to neglecting the bike miles last year . Weather has been rotten for cycling though, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it .

Ooooh Kirki 12.5, will hopefully be in for that again .

A quick look through the listings yesterday and I saw they are apparently doing Buchlyvie 10k again, 26th Jan, a good muddy one for anyone interested.

Enjoy WHW MrsMac .

Elspeth - think of it as a good training run for the Fling .

Off out for the last long run of the week , then tomorrow I am going to go out on the bike (unless it buckets it down ).

05/01/2013 at 10:26

morning

went to see Glasgow Warriors play at Scotstoun last night. They won 41-7... great game!!!

57.5, I'm going for the 12.5k!! Couldn't make it last year so looking forward to the pain

Welcome back Alison!

Elspeth, thanks, definitely going for Glen Ogle!!

MOK sounds great Ally but think its too close to Cape Wrath for me this year!! Its on my to-do list though! Loch Katrine entry will be in by tomorrow too.

Off to the hill race this morning. I doubt I'll race as I'm really stiff from the gym the other night... but will have to fit my run in so will do a run around the area while bf races... and wins?? (Apparently as long as Prasad Prasad and Al Anthony aren't there .... or any other internationals!).

05/01/2013 at 10:42

UTC- Glen Ogle is greart- first wee bit is on forestry trails, then down onto roadside tarmac for a wee spell, then cycclepath- very nice underfoot- and the middle bit is forstry again, but up a bit of a hill- then back in a loop, plus some small country roads- quite mixed, but nothing at all rough underfoot.. Give ita go.

Right- I'm planning on heading out soon- going to try out t the debris gaiters which arrived today ( not that I'm going to run anywhere interesting, but need to see how they fit.

05/01/2013 at 11:32

Morning all. Sorry UTC, I forgot to reply to your Glen Ogle question. Tricialitt has described it well. I changed from trail shoes to raod shoes for the last 5.5 miles on the road. A lot of folks did the whole thing in road shoes. There is quite a lot of climb in the first few miles which was slightly disheartening so early on. Overall a great run with a good mix of terrain and hills and some fantastic views.

Much better day here than expected from forecast. I got up and went to the supermarket at 6am (as I usually do) then was bad and climbed back into bed when I got home  Surafced aagian a bit after 9. Hopefully will get out for a bit of a run this afternoon as I have to do my book keeping this morning.

05/01/2013 at 14:31

Thanks UTC. Did you decide to do the hill race, or did you go as a supporter?

Timekeeping at the parkrun was fine. Then went over to Fife for a nice run through the forest.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.