Scottish Runners

30,161 to 30,180 of 31,032 messages
22/02/2014 at 16:27

Good to see you TP. I did 18.5. I huffed and puffed and creaked my around the first 10 then finally found some mojo. A bit like you I probably could have gone another few miles but was starving too, and I had taken gels and energy drink with me

Don't think I have grown  maybe because I am quite a bit slimmer now it gives impression of being taller too

23/02/2014 at 10:21

Hideous weather today - the cat is all spooked by the wind and keeps looking around like 'who did that?'

Yeah, I think it is because you are leaner FFB - not that you were ever over-weight (digs paw out of mouth!) .

At a loose end today because I was going to work at the allotment but it is a bit futile in this gale force wind . Have to do house jobs instead, or cross train .

23/02/2014 at 12:21
Lol @ 'short ultra'.
23/02/2014 at 13:50

TT - that's what they call them - short, medium and long . Agree it is a bit of a bizarre concept!

23/02/2014 at 15:18

If you classify and ultra as 'short' you probably run too much .

Nice day for the Kinloss to Lossie half, at least as you went East. Nice temp, steady tailwind, rain stayed away. What is not to like. My breathing was a bit rough with the recent cold and a few drinks last night, but happy with a wind assisted 1:21:40.

Saw OH before the start, his travels had gone well despite the high winds. Could not hang around to cheer him in at the end though.

23/02/2014 at 17:05

Tee-hee that is OK TP I know what you mean

Race director stuff today and cross training.

Only 1 place left in the marathon

Spin bike, weights and abs for cross training.

23/02/2014 at 17:19
Anything over 15 miles with wet feet means no skin left on toes for me so any ultra ( short, medium or long) would mean white wrinkled partly skinless feet for me. Although toe socks do help a bit.
23/02/2014 at 17:22
Sure I'll find out on 14th June :-/
23/02/2014 at 17:39

Nice running 57.5 . Hope OH had a good run too.

TT - ouch to your poor tootsies! You should get yourself some of these Dexshell bad-boys just in case your race is very wet (Dirty 30 you are doing?) .

FFB - great that all your races are nearly sold out .

I just missed out on Southside Six entry yet again- 3rd year running I have not got in quick enough! I have put myself down on the wait-list on the off chance! It just shows how many people want to do the longer routes, at a reasonable entry price. Numerous times I have written to Glasgow Life about a full marathon in Glasgow and never got any reply , but then they would probably charge a small fortune if they did run one for the public.

23/02/2014 at 22:55
Yes dirty 30 TP. Might have to do that, just thinking that it will b my 1st race over half marathon where wet feet a likely thing. Having done EMF and Strathearn previously, both being all rd and dry. Did get wet feet in training a lot as tend to run on very mixed terrain (ankle deep squelchy mud making up most of Friday's 14 miler and still hurting from it) but never in race except Antonine trail race, which is run on a lot of my training routes.

Although wet soggy toes have never bothered me. Have suffered badly with blisters on instep during previous marathon training but hoping that a thing of the past after going for treadmill gait analysis, and discovering after 12 yrs of running in stability shoes and various injuries, that I have a neutral gait. So fingers crossed no more instep blisters and hopefully my plantar faciitis will clear up.
24/02/2014 at 08:20

Morning.

Sorry forgot to say well done to 57.5 and OH.

TT - ouchy. A few years ago I moved away from stability shoes to a minimalist shoe with a custom orthotic in it. I do have a major over pronation. It may sound counter intuitive to put orthotics in a minimalist shoe but it has worked for me. Touch wood injury free.

Masses to do today so better go get on.

24/02/2014 at 11:13
I am running in combination of brooks ghost, innov8 terrafly and innov8 flites for my interval run. Loving my innov8s esp the terrafly.
24/02/2014 at 13:59
Enjoyable but slightly tantalisingly run coming in at 2:00:20 (with PB on hillier course 1:58:31). Conditions were ideal with tail wind, no rain and 12-13C

Full report on
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/the-2014-marathon-thread/271098-42.html

Well done 57.5 that's a great time.
24/02/2014 at 19:30

Well done OH - an annoying 20secs there !

FFB - I use my home made orthotics in trail shoes (Inov8's therefore minimal support / heel rise) so I get where you are coming from . Never had any problems doing this, until the shoe itself actually wears out!

TT - its an experimentation sometimes. The right socks can definitely make life more comfortable though .

10miles for me today, quite warm this afternoon. Very wet morning at the allotment, spent most of the time using up my space in the communal poly-tunnel, got my baby peas laid out in seed trays so hopefully some of them will sprout . Also my raspberry bush has finally started to bud (it has been looking dead since November ) ! Spring????!!!!

24/02/2014 at 21:27

Hi all,

I am a new member of the forum and although not born in Scotland, have lived in Aberdeen for 20 odd years..... Currently training for the Edinburgh Marathon whiich will be my 2nd, hoping to crack 3:30 though my training hasn't gone as well as hoped I keep telling myself there is plenty of time left!

Next race is the Garioch HM on the 23rd of March not sure whether to race it or just treat it as a training run?

24/02/2014 at 22:16
Welcome Run til I drop
24/02/2014 at 22:17

Welcome RTID, don't worry, many of don't have Scottish roots on here. I likewise have had over 25 years of acclimatisation!

25/02/2014 at 07:58

Morning all. Rest day for me yesterday which was just as well as work was going mental and I had a load of RD stuff to do.

Welcome RTID.

Still looking for a few extra marshalls for Loch Katrine so if anyone fancies volunteering let me know.

Its going to be another mad day, but I have a run to look forward to at the end of it.

25/02/2014 at 14:49

Welcome to the thread RTID - may as well race your Half, as you will have 8wks-ish? to recover .

Annoying day searching through reams of paperwork and notes looking for work I did years ago . Unfortunately technology moves quicker than people like to publish things...luckily I still keep written records!!

Sore arms today from lugging bags of compost about the place yesterday. Luckily a rest day calls !

25/02/2014 at 19:24

All your RD hard work is much appreciated FFB, can't wait

TP you always sound so busy, I feel like a lazy bag when I read your posts!!

Hiya RTID, race the half. It'd be hard not to

Boo to the plantar faciitis TT

Well done on the racing front 57.5, OH and I presume Elspeth?

Organised a wee family run in the form of a marathon from Kilmahog out and back through Strathyre. Even organised medals for the in-laws Got first official marathon of the year on Sunday in the Borders.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.