Scottish Runners

30,181 to 30,200 of 33,411 messages
11/01/2013 at 20:29

Evening you lot.

Snow forecast ? Seriously !

11/01/2013 at 23:37

entered the loch katrine marathon and the highland fling this year. mon then!

12/01/2013 at 09:27

Morning all!

A rather heavy going 6 for me last night. Off out shortly to do 8 - 10 hopefully.

Yeh! Snow!  Not great for driving baby FFB backt o Edinburgh but good for my training

Got a knock back from Brooks re product based sponsorship, and a bit disappointed. It is not as if I am looking to kit out a whole team for asking for 20 pairs of shoes. I know they get a lot of requests and that times are hard and they need good ROI ... but a few pairs of shoes towards rasiing £20k for charity. So I won't be mentioning my shoe brand in any interviews or articles: not that I am bitter

12/01/2013 at 09:29

Morning FFB, Shame re your Brooks knockback.

Morning Tri for when you look in

Cold but no snow here in Erskine, no snow on Kilpatrick Hills yet.

12/01/2013 at 09:51

Thanks BM. Someone suggested I might have more luck approaching local retailers, so will give that a go.

Ewan - meant to say Loch Katrine will be good training for Fling, lots of nice hills

12/01/2013 at 11:03

aye I'm sure. FB I have persuaded 4  folk to do the half at LK. 1 cousin, 1 colleague and colleague has got 3 pals to to do it in prep for manchester marathon. now that it's listed on Scottish running guide I'm sure it will fill up nicely.

12/01/2013 at 14:25

afternoon....

that's great the race is filling up FFB I have messaged you contact details and I will be entering this weekend definitely. Hope you get some interest from the retailers who might be a bit more personal maybe...

welcome back ewan!

out for a run shortly, have been for a good long swim so far (probably should run 1st I know but the pool closes early at the weekend and you can run at any time... so I figured I'd best swim 1st). It's lovely out!! Crisp and bright, not too cold!

12/01/2013 at 14:31

Phew, that was an umpleasant 9 miles. Low energy and gut a bit wobbly. But that is me back into a routine and next weekend I can push for double figures. Good to see TP out. Was that a new jacket?

I was trialling my 'woolly' knickers  Got some icebreaker merino pants. They were Ok, but my tooshie was not quite as warm and toasty as I had hoped LOL

12/01/2013 at 14:36

Thanks UTC.

Got 116 entries in total with 45 for the half, 26 for the marathon and 33 for the 10k.

12/01/2013 at 15:30

Boo to Brooks Hope you have more joy elsewhere FFB. What do you think of the knickers? I got a pair from hubby and even with them on today my 'cheeks' were chilly Very comfy though

Enjoy your run UTC, sounds nicer than here weather-wise.

Nice one ewan

16 miles in horizontal sleet this morning, just about defrosted now

12/01/2013 at 15:56

Hi all

Good to see you too FFB . I've had that jacket for a while but don't always use it - its had a wash recently too, so its probably looking brighter than usual ! Ditto on boo to Brooks - especially when you have been using their shoes etc for ages.

Yeah weather really quite good in Glasgow this afternoon, very Spring-like once the earlier chill had lifted.

Finally got my diary sorted and have entered Katrine Half before it fills up ! I would have entered the Full but its probably not enough time to recover properly before I do the Thames race, so the Half will do nicely as a last long run during tapering .

Had a nice run today, 16miles, once I could get going that is , my right hamstring seems to have shrunk a couple of inches and is pulling on the piriformis area , but its okay once it warms up, just bloody tight initially. Need to concentrate on some stretches for that I think.

Hope your run went well UTC.

12/01/2013 at 16:59

Just picked up the notification of your entry TP  I did wonder why the half but that makes perfect sense, and it is not an easy half. LOL re the jacket. It was looking nice and bright in the sunshine

Mrs Mac - I found the pants really comfy, and they were certainly warmer that a standard cotton pant, but I was slightly disappointed that I still felt cold. However, they are the 150 grade which is the mid weight of fabric, and I think that 200 is considered to be the winter weight. I suppose that if you team them up with some icebreaker tights there would be added benefit. I have got a pair of 200 weight tights to try out too but am waiting for a really cold day to try them.

Icebreaker requested my email address on Friday after approaching their NZ office via FB, having got no response from their UK reseller, so I am really hoping that they are interested in at least discussing product based sponsorship. If I got icebreaker base and mid layers I would be sorted.

It is quite interesting that approaches via FB pages get a very quick response compared to email and snail mail. So from now on I am going to do email/mail and follow up with FB if they have a page.

12/01/2013 at 17:00

Meant to say: TP boo to tight hamstring. I noticed I am stiffening up quite badly twoards the end of a run and then a few hours after, so I am going to have to get into some more thorough stretching too.

12/01/2013 at 17:04

I'll be near the back at LK too- using it as a long slow run for the double marathon a month later, so I won't be rushing off- I'll be running in Ultra kit, carrying the usual moving picnic, so I can practice nutrition ( not that I need much practice at stuffing my face!).

Did 13 miles today, cold when I finished- I get this horrible thing where if my legs/ backside get very cold when I run, they develop a blotchy, itchy rash  when I have a hot shower- I think it might be a type of cold urticaria- think I need to get some warmer leggings!

Ski- trip starts tomorrow -so 18 hours travelling ( going to USA)- there's a tready in the hotel I can use to keep fit while I'm away( the ski-ing is pretty low intensity excercise when you are as bad/ lazy at it as I am- I spend more time eating/ drinking lunch on the slopes, than I do actually ski-ing ). Not really packed yet- need to get the finger out.

12/01/2013 at 19:02

15.5 last Saturday, 14 today slowly pushing up the miles again before LK

MrsMac, FFB Never had a problem with my bits getting cold during a run

12/01/2013 at 21:20

so I hear Loch katrine is super hilly! so not pb territory then. ah well I'm sure it will be a great day, hopefully the weather will be kind and not too windy. planning on taking it steady and attempting a reasonably constant pace. easier said than done right enough but necessary if the Fling is to be conquered a month later.

wife, bump and I had a lovely day in largs today. beautiful light and crisp day meant walking along the front was quite idyllic, concluded with some fish and chips in the car overlooking Cumbrae. bliss. love a nice day pottering around Largs. great second hand bookshop too. hopefully tomorrow to be clear and a walk along the Kelvin then to the Grosvenor in Ashton lane to finally see the Hobbit.

so have you all started planning your race calendar for Spring? I've entered the carnethy 5, Loch katrine and the Fling. maybe do Clydestride again as it was splendid. tempted to do the Kirky 12.5 the day after the Carnethy 5 but that would mean no boozing in Edinburgh afterwards which sounds rubbish.

12/01/2013 at 22:00

Tricialitt I get that sometimes too.

Ewen, definitely not PB territory. The route undulates all the way. There is a steep climb at 6, 7 and 8 miles, repeated at 18,19 and 20. Nice we sting in the tail at about 24 too.

I am doing Dee33, Fling, Clydestride, Perthshire Highland Marathon, and then my Antarctic double. I might do Strathearn if I am not celebrating my birthday.

13/01/2013 at 12:02

Snow settling and 0 degrees here in the Cairngorms. Just wish I could get out and enjoy it but a calf strain has stopped me running for a while. Thought I was over it on Friday but I didn't even get 50 yards before I had to stop.

13/01/2013 at 14:28

I'm having a rest day today, whilst I try to get this niggly hamstring sorted out. Been out for a walk in the sleety wet Yuk!!

Enjoy your hols Tricia .

This year so far I have entries for (takes deep breath): FFB's Half, Thames Path 100, Fling, South Downs Way 100 and the Devil O'Highlands.....that takes me through to August, then I think I might need a rest !

Talking of which, I'm having totally no joy trying to find accommodation in Tyndrum for August - very curt email response from Hostel / Campsite this morning was not appreciated !!! There are ways of saying things without being off-hand to your potential customers.........and in any case I cannot believe they are so busy they dont even have a blade of grass to put a tent on !!! Think it is more a case of they cannot be arsed taking the booking. Anyway Boo to them, they were my first choice for convenience to the race start, but after that rudeness I will place my money elsewhere !

13/01/2013 at 15:24

TP - what about Bridge fo orchy? It is only 7 miles up the road if that. There is the hotel and I think a hostel/bunkhouse.

I am on a rest day too, although I might do a bit of upper body strength work once baby FFB has removed all her art work from the living room floor. Older baby FFB deposited in Edinburgh earlier today.

Only 60 places left at Loch Katrine  I might increase the limit a bit knowing that there is genrally a 25% - 30% no show rate on the day.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.