Scottish Runners

30,221 to 30,240 of 33,516 messages
15/01/2013 at 09:10

morning BM and FFB

just heading to gym shortly, for class and swim.

run, cycle and more classes tonight. Good day ahead.

FFB, know the feeling on hill work, I sounded asthmatic at times last night.....

Hope the sofa isn't too expensive

15/01/2013 at 09:58

Morning all

MrsMac - nice list of races there . I would like to do the Cateran one year, but it always seems to clash with something else. Re. Tyndrum - yes, it was them, very disappointing customer service skills (or lack of) from whoever was answering emails this weekend .

UTC - hope the training goes well this week.

FFB - good luck with the sofa repairs !

Happy running everyone else. Bit icy here, I have to go out to the post office this morning, so its a good chance to check the surface conditions, otherwise it will be something indoors today.

15/01/2013 at 11:28

Some good news: Berghaus has come back and said that they cannot provide product based sponsorship but they can provide essential kit at trade price  So, have asked them for advice on approriate outer layer kit.

The sofa will be pricey, but it is  sofa workshop one, and to replace it with like for like is just way too expensive at the moment. It is a good strong sofa which should do us a good few years with a couple of new springs and a new cover.

15/01/2013 at 20:18

Goodness, a lot of race entries here! Well done all.

I'm a bit wary after last year to predict too much, so far entered Loch Katrine marathon, Cape Wrath - but probably only 3 out of the 5 days racing, Fling (still may be sensible and opt out), Hoy Half marathon and will then take stock and see what the rest of the year holds. Would like to do Harris half, langdale marathon and Glen Ogle later in the year but will not tempt fate at this point.

Shame about the kit sponsors FFB - there is a firm in Keswick doing British made merino stuff called EDZ, have a couple of their things and they are very nice and a little cheaper than icebreaker - worth contacting them?

Had a very busy but non running weekend visiting the kids in Edinburgh, quite logistically interesting trying to get all the kids to meet up but managed quite a lot, eating, cinema, shopping and up Arthurs seat and Calton Hill but only time for a run was Sunday morning and it was very sleety so I was lazy.

Got out for a short one after work tonight, icy but not too slippery though someone else took quite a tumble just ahead of me, said he was fine, got up and ran on! Hopefully get a longer run in daylight tomorrow.

Shame to be missing D33 but figured that it is an annual fixture whereas Katrine is a one off and sounds a more interesting run.

15/01/2013 at 22:47

Wow UTC, that is SOME collection of races!! and you Mrs Mac.  I focus on the big ones as they have to be on the calender with hubby lined up for childcare, then if I can fit local small stuff inbetween that is a bonus (if I am not ill or injured!).

I tried out camping wigwams for the first time last year TP when I was doing my Pilates training down in Edinburgh and trying to find cheap accom for 2 nights. Stayed in one just outside Musselburgh and one at Mortonhall and both were perfect actually - self-contained and had fridge and kettle as a minimum + heaters.

Sounds a nice weekend in Edinburgh Elspeth.

Yesterday was very icy, managed to do 8.5 round woods and stay upright and legs felt good after Sundays 18. Ankle OK but thought I'd be nice to it today so headed out on MBK along coastal path after teaching pilates class. 10 miles but have been shaken to death as sand and shale all frozen over and very bumpy. Stunning though.  Not sure tomorrow, was going to head up Ben Rinnes but not sure how icy it will be, or up onto hills above Dava - frostbite either way I think!! Need to make the most of the clear sunny days and am working rest of week.

16/01/2013 at 06:06

Morning you lot. Cold and frosty one again. Well it is January,

FFB: Good news re kit then.Hope you get your sofa sorted.

Morning Tri

cragchick: You seem to be training well.

16/01/2013 at 08:54

morning.

off to the gym very shortly... 2 classes, swim, then run and bike this afternoon.

bf has a velodrome race tonight so will be going to watch

16/01/2013 at 09:15

Morning all, 25k spin and some abs last night to get over the shock of the cost of the sofa repair . So 50% more than we thought, but only 1/3 of what it would cost to by a new similar sofa. But it will be an almost total refurbishment. The 2 broken springs will be replaced and any other that look dodgy, new loose cover, new cushion covers and re-stuffing of cushions plus arm covers.

Thanks for the EDZ tip Elspeth. I will take a look.

I have to find new shoes with a gortex membrane as my beloved Brooks will not be up to the environment  Need Glasgow to step up now cos I have a shop in Edinburgh offering a deal for some publicity

Loch Katrine all but full. I have split the limit across the races. So the half and the 10k now have a 100 limit, and the marathon 50. Based on current numbers the half will be full, the 10k close to full. I suspect I won't get many more than the current 31 for the marathon, but hopefully it will edge up to 40ish.

Will try and fit in some weights today when I get home. We are going to the GFT tonight to see Chasing Ice.

16/01/2013 at 10:08

Morning all. Not posted for a while

3 miles to work this morning, icy conditions underfoot, but clear skies.

Gave my new trainers their first outing to no ill affects.

16/01/2013 at 10:16

Change of heart from Icebreaker  They have agreed to send me a few pieces from their 'seeding' box (no idea what a seeding box is).

16/01/2013 at 10:23
http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/696878/gallery/seedbox.jpg?width=350

I'm guessing its not this seed box?

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 10:23
16/01/2013 at 12:14

LOL Grant

16/01/2013 at 16:53

Well done on getting some kit offers FFB (I've no idea what a seeding box is either) .

Thanks Cragchick - that is useful to know about the Wigwams, I wasnt sure on the kettle front and was already plotting how I would get my paws on a cup of tea (obsessive?) . Hope you had a good day in the hills, and not too icy.

Nice weekend Elspeth . Hey, don't get cold feet about the Fling, you will be fine, it will be a great forum meet-up day . I'm certainly not going to be doing it fast (only 4 or 5? weeks after Thames race), but its a great day out and fabulous scenery nonetheless .

Actually not a bad day here, about minus 1 when I did 13.1m this morning but warmed up as progressed, 2x external loops of Pollok park, not that icy and some paths gritted.

Apparently 'mega-snow' due on Friday . Good! cos I havent had chance to use my new trail shoes yet this year .

Have fun everyone, and train well .

16/01/2013 at 19:20

*retracts 'boo' to Icebreaker* Great news you've filled the races too FFB

Thats a shame TP re: By The Way. I know the owner who is a runner herself. At least you've managed to sort something else

Agree with cragchick about the wigwams. We've stayed in the huts at Pine Trees caravan park in Tyndrum and they're really comfy/cosy Good news on your ankle too

Elspeth, you WILL be at the Fling this year It'll be a hoot!

5 miles on the tready tonight. Didn't want to risk the icy pavements.

16/01/2013 at 21:58

I've apparently got indoor acommodation for the The Fling this year too which is a bonus - have camped at Bankell Farm last 2x but am sharing with a I guy I met on the first Adventurehub Northumberland Ultra (did the final 40 miles with him) and a girl he knows from the US who did WHW last year and is back this year for another effort plus the fling.  Don't actually know what it is we are staying in though!!

Yes Elspeth to the Fling. Will be so cool to meet everyone.

Yay to Icebreaker but no idea about seeds?

Achilles and bit below ankle bone on RHS really a bit grumpy at the mo - think some deep calf massage called for tonight. BUT still got a decent yomp up Ben Rinnes and than ran all the way back down again. Was going to traverse the ridge from the summit but after about 500m I could feel myself heading towards hypothermia nice so thought I turn around!  Was totally baltic up there and I had plenty of layers on. Glorious though . 6 miles and a few hundred metres of climbing

Work for next couple of days and busy weekend so may not get a long run in ... oh well, that will be Mondays job.

How exciting re the race entries though. A great inaugural race

17/01/2013 at 13:35

Quiet on here today. Rest day for me, although looks okay out.

Now they are saying the snow will miss most of West coast.....Pfffffft, they promise you something then cannot deliver .....

17/01/2013 at 15:35

afternoon

enjoy your rest TP!

out early this morning, cycled over to east end (approx 9-10 miles) 2 classes, swim, now visiting my sister, niece and nephew. Run was planned but legs are very heavy so have rescheduled. All in hand though, nothing catastrophic. Plan for rest of week now;
Friday-Swim and 6 mile run

Saturday-long run and short 30min turbo (as per training plan)

Sunday-long cycle and short 4 mile run.

Really has went well this week to be honest and I'm pleased with progress even though I am feeling a bit stiff (probably to do with all the training).

Hoping for NO snow... hate the stuff, it just messes with my training (well it wouldn't if it were actual snow and not just a dusting which then freezes and stays for 2 weeks!!).

Well done on Icebreaker btw FFB

My new shoes have arrived also so cant wait to give them a go asap!!

17/01/2013 at 17:36

trying something different today - running in the evening. normally run early in the morning before the kids get up for school but the last couple of days i've just not managed to get up and out. think it is staying up to watch the tennis that is doing it. anyways, get frustrated so its out for a run after dinner this evening whilst kid 2 is at brownies and kid 1 is playing on the wii.

not use to running after a day of food and numerous cups of tea so i'm thinking its not going to go well. but as they say, you regret the runs you don;t do more than the runs you do do...

17/01/2013 at 18:30

evening all. Rest day for me too. I did manage a weights session last night before going to GFT. Chasing Ice was very good and interesting. I had to work late today so decided that a rest day was in order.

Still looking for marshalls for Loch Katrine. Due to number of entries I am geing to have to draft in extra bodies.

17/01/2013 at 19:34

Evening

Not on earlier as dropped nephew off at Glasgow airport at 545 this morning. Picking him up at 8pm.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.