Scottish Runners

30,381 to 30,400 of 33,388 messages
08/02/2013 at 21:12

Oh and BF is still happy to marshall the marathon, no probs!!

09/02/2013 at 09:21

Morning you lot

Smiry rain out here so far.

Morning Tri. Hope you get on okay with devils burden today.

09/02/2013 at 11:47

lovely with us this morning and really enjoyed my 10 miles round the basin. no wind and not too cold. fantastic.

ready for an afternoon in front of the telly watching the rugby. hopefully scotland can build on the promising stuff from last week and finally record a win!!!

09/02/2013 at 13:06

For once Orkney getting the best of the weather! Sunny, cold and no wind.

21 miles for me, still not really feeling marathon fit though!

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

CC - hope that injury settles and you enjoy your hols.

09/02/2013 at 18:39

Watched the rugby after a 16 mile run home from work- going to do the other half of a back-to-back 16/11 tomorrow- certainly found the 16 miles farily easy going, so here's hoping I'm getting fitter. Am off to Lyons for a conference on tuesday, not back til saturday, so I'll need to use the hotel gym to burn off the french food/ wine, and go for a really long run next weekend to make up for it. After that a couple more back -ro backs, the LK mara, and then I'll be thinknig about tapering for the GE double - ARGHHHhhhhhhhhhhh.

I have been tempted to look at a salomon s-lab 12 pack by a work colleague- I was wearing it around the ofices yesterday.........trying to persuade myself that it is a perfectly sensible use of £135!

09/02/2013 at 19:02

21 foggy miles done today on The Rob Roy Way Drymen (Garadhban forest) to Aberfoyle and back.

Nice one Elspeth Don't think we grudge you a wee bit good weather!

Well done Tricia I like weekend back-to-back runs. Really think they help for Ultras.

Nice running longbow too Didn't Scotland do well?

Hope you heal soon cragchick.

10/02/2013 at 08:09

Morning

Yup good win by Scotland in 6 Nations v Italy yesterday

10/02/2013 at 09:25

Morning all.

Saw your entry confirmation UTC, and great that your BF still wants to marshall. I will send out a list of the marshall assignments in the next week or so. Got a txt from a Girl Guide troup in Coatbrdige looking to help

Was up at Loch Katrine yesterday and di 16 miles, marking out he 10k and half plus turn points and water stations. I was that focussed on watching my distance and marking that I forgot to drink or eat until 8 miles - doh. So, had a really horrible last 3 miles.

At about 6.5 miles out i saw a runner coming towards me. I never see runners up there. It is usually only me. So, I had to ask, and yes he is running the marathon. He was up with 3 other people and they had all gone out to about 12 miles and then back.

General consensus was beautfiul location and stunning views, but a really hard marathon. They reckoned harder than CW  I have to admit that as I was marking it out I was thinking this is going to be tough, all 3 distances. I am debating whether or not to route the marathon of the road and along a section of cycle path at on point and miss out 2 hills. It would depend how many marshalls I have. In many ways it would be esaier to stick with the road.

The Half marathon turn point is in an awkward spot half way up a hill, but nothing I can do about that really.

10/02/2013 at 10:45

morning 

That's great FFB I'll await the details!! All coming together now!!

I had a pretty good run yesterday at the Devil's Burdens, and bf's team (the men's A team), came 6th overall only beaten by Carnethy, Ochil, Bella RR, Shettleston and a team from Englandshire, Anster Haddies. Great runs from the B's and C's and MV50's As and Bs. Women had 2 teams, I was on B's but the women are much more equal pace wise although 1 or 2 are quicker.

I was leg 1 of the course (which was in reverse this year-it was leg 4 last year, the leg I did then too!) as it is mostly trail so little navigation required.  I set of on the early start at 930am (there is an early start for teams with perhaps a slower runner, so that no-one is left behind - very kind of them!!). I tried not to take off too quickly but wasn't expecting a great run tbh. I had all my "full body cover" required for all legs of the race. Garmin running. The course was undulating on tarmac for maybe 500m then we turned onto the trail. Uneven but runable, undulating and taxing on the lungs but I kept it up. A few small parts were pretty eroded so had to be careful but it wasn't too challenging. A few people overtook me but I tried not to be disheartened... I know in this kind of field I wont be far up the front, more likely mid pack or a bit further back.

10/02/2013 at 11:01

I had forgotten my club vest, but had decided to run with my jacket anyway due to the damp conditions so vest would have been invisible anyway.

I kept running along the undulating path. Pace felt even. Footwork over the unevent bits felt more confident than previously, and my new X-talons felt really comfortable - even though I slathered my heels in vaseline as a precaution.

As I approached another undulation it felt familiar and I knew the checkpoint was around the corner. A few of us fought for the clickers and stamped our cards and off we went. Downhill-ish from here. Some good rocky trail then a left turn onto a tarmac path for another km or so... then a right and left into the field and a storm downhill to hand over my paper to the next team members and off they went on leg 2. I looked at my Garmin - the same time as last year!!! 

In the end our A and B teams were only 2 places apart so I was very happy!! We were nowhere near the boys but that was to be expected. A respectable 80th place  out of 116. (Well I feel its respectable). Im always going to be slow with these types, but hey, I was nowhere near last - results have been checked, so happy days!!!

Bf picked me up and ran me back to the start of leg 1 to the hal. before he ran to the start of leg 4, before running back again (ie leg 4 to start/finish area!). I spent the morning in the hall, chatting to others who had finished etc and it was lovely and chilled.

Then a nice wee drive home from Fife back to Glasgow.

Legs are a bit achey today but not too bad. A slight niggle to the right ankle too but nothing painful. Not the best day for cycling so think we will be off climbing.

I was well chuffed I maintained my time from last year as I haven't run much lately. It may only have been 7.5k but it was hard work... the joys of the hills, but I do love the mud!! And the scenery is just the best! Looking forward to the National XC in the next couple of weeks!!

10/02/2013 at 11:34

Sounds like fun, UTC. And glad to hear the LK preparations are coming on, ffb. I am increasingly convinced that I'll be takin this very slow, as it is a traing run for the GE double, and obviously is NOT a route where any sort of time matters. I am hoping to have a new s-lab to try out , and will be pottering at long slow run pace, not trying to go at marathon pace.

Oh dear- look at the weather- my car is at work, 11 miles away, as is my wallet, so I can't even bail out and get a taxi!. Ho hum, hope it doesn't get too slippy underfoot!

10/02/2013 at 12:34

Greta report UTC.

Tricialitt, slow and steady. There are very few flat sections, and quite a lot of short sharp hills, plus there are a few cattle grids .....

10/02/2013 at 13:57

Brilliant UTC, sounds like a cracking run

Sounds like its all coming together nicely FFB It will be a cheeky wee marathon but in such a stunning location we can't moan really

Have a safe run Tricia!

5.5 mile recovery run on the Tready for me today.

10/02/2013 at 15:40
Thanks guys!! Yeah that's given me a bit of a boost!!
Watching the rugby now in the pub after climbing this morning - great session and got a lot of new routes!

Well done to Scotland yesterday.. Ireland long king a bit shaky against England
Happy running Tricia, its a day for the dread mill MrsMac, hence we opted for the climbing
10/02/2013 at 16:21

Good running this weekend from everyone . Well done UTC. Anyone would think there is a marathon coming up with all this training going on .

Hope you don't have a stress fracture CC !! Get well soon!

Enjoy the Salomon Tricia, hope its comfy, thats verrrrry expensive for a rucksack !

Out this morning in the sleet and snow, but very little wind, so had a good, if very soaked 18miles of hills. The further up hill I went the more the snow was sticking, until finally I was sliding around in melted slush for about 3m before the descent back below the 'snow line' . All good training for whatever may come in March !

Beef roast for dinner tonight, I know its beef cos it says 'from Scotland' on the front and looks like a joint of meat rather than processed slop  ! Really been increasing my food intake now during these last few weeks build up to the 100, I ideally need to put on about half a stone, but doubt I'll be able to do that by end of March.

10/02/2013 at 21:49

Good running everyone, especially UTC.

Nice day up north but I also did quite a bit of sliding in the mud during my 18 miler. Yes, proper ultra training has finally begun. And I just set up a big new TV for my wife which should distract her from my abscence while running quite nicely . To be fair she did bring the dog out for 6 of the muddier miles today, with only a few complaints about my choice of route.

11/02/2013 at 06:14

Morning

cragchick : Hope you recover soon

Tri: Good run and report

Busy place at the moment

11/02/2013 at 06:53

morning BM

no run this morning, run tonight with club. legs were quite tight yesterday but climbing was enjoyable. 

The rugby wasn't so great (England v Ireland)... but dinner at the 78 was yummy!!

11/02/2013 at 09:20

run this morning was hard work. 3 hours of tennis yesterday may have been a bit much but managed 5 miles. kinda spoiled by the fact that my garmin ran out of battery power after 1.5 miles but then i was running so slowly it was probably good that i couldn;t see the speed on the watch!

11/02/2013 at 22:20

Evening all. Just looking for a bit of advice, iv always had some problem with my knees, currently suffering with a bit of ITBS. Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with physios in the lanarkshire area. im from Hamilton myself. Ill also be wanting to get my gait reanalysed, im currently running on ghost 4s, although I feel as if im Running more on the outside of my foot as I should be. Where have people found to be best to have their gait checked, would the physio do this?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.