Scottish Runners

30,421 to 30,440 of 33,210 messages
16/02/2013 at 08:39

Morning you lot

Just thinking when out that Saturday in my younger days were great as' Tiswas' was on in mornings

Showing my age !

16/02/2013 at 11:24

Hi BM. I remember Tiswas. And Swapshop.

16/02/2013 at 17:12

I remember Swapshop, loved it! ...and Tiswas, vaguely

Hope the interview went well FFB. Was excited to receive the Loch Katrine info email yesterday. Not long now

13 balmy miles this morning

16/02/2013 at 21:15

hope FFB doesn't keep us in suspense too long

Kirkintilloch 12.5km tomorrow... I've been having nightmares about hills all week  and cycling there and back so should be interesting...

good training today, easy bike and great swim again... this half IM is gonna be a piece  of cake... erm not!!

serious upping of miles this week for CW!! Also decided Glencoe Mara looks like a good one, anyone done it before?? Its a very big maybe though as its only a month after the Half IM so may not be able for it especially if the plan is for GO in November... am I crazy???

Nice running MrsMac

17/02/2013 at 00:23

Morning

Waiting to go and collect oldest son from a party. Wish he'd phone I'm shattered...

MrsMac Vaguely remember tiswas ...

17/02/2013 at 06:54

morning

hope the wait wasn't too long BM...

getting ready for Kirki now... hoping for a good run

17/02/2013 at 07:27

i think the first paragraph of the glencoe description should be enough to put you off Tri -

a 26 mile trail run that ascends a total of 1608 metres through the heart of Glencoe and into the foothills of Ben Nevis. The off-road route snakes through the pass of Glencoe, surrounded by the towering remains of this ancient super volcano, before climbing 500 metres up the fearsome Devil’s Staircase.

good 11 miles for me yesterday. should be ready for the nice flat run round Loch Katrine in a couple of weeks. looking forward to it.

17/02/2013 at 09:07

Morning all. Argh. Interview from hell  The agency were not told that it was competency based, and had assumed fom their discussions with the company that it was a fairly informal interview approach. so I had not prepared. I went in and there was no who are you , tell us a bit about yourself or them giving me any background. They launched straight into: its competency based interview, now tell us about your current project before we start. They then lauched into about 10 - 12 competency questions (it would normally only be about 5 or 6 in that style of interview), had me writing on a white board, and one them who did not particpate in the grilling sat nodding off, then asked a totally imcomprehensible question at the end. Not only that, but based in the questions they were clearly interviewing for a job other than what the job description was for.

Anyway, based on that I would not want to work for them anyway.

Have mixed my training up a bit this weekend. Another poor week for training, due life work and interviews. So did 14.5 miles yesterday, 10k spin to cool down and some weights. More weights today and another short run of 8 and a spin.

17/02/2013 at 10:27

Morning all

FFB - Nightmare ! They sound like a right bunch of as*-holes all together. Better off not working for people like that!

Longbow - they are probably confusing metres with feet as seems to be the case quite a lot these days ! I can well believe the Devils staircase climbs 500metres though - that does sound more realistic!!!

Good luck at Kirkintilloch UTC, lovely day for it, sorry I'm missing it actually .

So finished the week off yesterday with a nice 18miler, leaving me on total 74.6m running for the week, which could have been over 80, but instead of forcing a plod on Friday I did a 28m cycle, cos to be perfectly frank I was having serious CBA with running thoughts , so the headspace doing something else was quite refreshing. That was my last 'big week'..........You have survived 5 months of intensive training....what are you gonna do now???? I'm gonna taper Wooooo Wooooo Hooooo!!!!!!

Yes I'm probably a little bit too happy about not having to run big mileage for the next four weeks .

Off for a short plod today in a brand spanking shiny new pair of trainers to celebrate .

17/02/2013 at 13:41

Hi- just been out on a glorious spring day- who'd of thought it? 18 miles, alongthe canal- loads of folk out enjoying the day. Now to slob in fornt of the TV!

17/02/2013 at 14:58

Good sessions Tricialitt and TP. My 8 became a meagre 5, but I dod do 15k on the spin bike, and I have done a split weights session either side of my run & bike.

17/02/2013 at 15:33

Good running tricia and TP, and good mixed session FFB. I did nice 10 mile run in Fife. Lovely day here too.

17/02/2013 at 16:33

afternoon! 

phew! I am officially knackered... I forgot how many hills there are in that bleedin' race! Gorgeous day for it though and caught up with Kirsty too!!

No PB but I wasn't expecting it and I have only done it once before 2 years ago. Wasn't best run(I even had to stop due to untied lace, that has never ever happened to  me in any race ever!! grrrr!!!!) The hills were never ending though and as I have done little running of late I wasn't feeling confident. 

The course was changed slightly due to recent flooding causing a road to be closed, so it was an out and back effort. 

Got off to a good start, 1st km passed in 5:11 - ok to be honest a little quicker would have been better but I thought that was ok. Hills, hills and more hills... the only good thing being the sun was shining. I had decided to treat this as a training run as not only have I done less running lately but I haven't even run over 10k for some time due to swims and bikes taking over!! I felt I would be definitely be slower and that was confirmed at half way!! And given the steepest hill was up on the way back, that didnt bode well!

I had saw the leader coming back (Derek Hawkins-immense runner!! and miles ahead of 2nd place Robert Gilroy of Cambuslang) but not sure exactly what distance that was at. Still felt ok at that point but the steepest of hills nearly had me on the way back. I struggled on and although I did manage a bit of pace to finish the last km, I was still 7-8 mins slower than 2 years ago.(I ran 1:01 then). In fairness it was a slightly different course and was more of a tester for me to see if I could still actually run more than 10k... Worked it out as over 9min/mile... well over what I'd normally race at (that would be around 8min/mile on a course like that) so work to do but at least I was nowhere near last, and if I look on it as a training run I was probably pacing it quite well.

Kirsty managed 1:02 after running 1:10 5 years ago

So reasonably happy but know I have work to do...

Great watching Mo and the rest of the athletics yesterday, although it looked sooooo easy for him!!

Great sessions going on, great week TP!! Really need to get my finger out for the marathon this week... LB, haha yes I did see that and its very much a maybe but hoping I can do it!!

17/02/2013 at 16:34

sorry about the interview FFB... sounds like you made a lucky escape though

17/02/2013 at 17:20
Hi, the kirkie 12.5 is one tough race and if you want hill training that's a good race to do. Nice organised race and good people who help out. Their 10k in June is nice along the canal but again their HM in October is tough. Well done on a good time on that route because it is tough!
17/02/2013 at 17:48

Anyone done the garioch 10 k? if so what like is it? I am considering trying it

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 20:03
17/02/2013 at 20:17

Sounds like great weather across Scotland. I got in some pleasant woodland miles with friends today near Loch Fyne, despite a stinking cold. Hardly ever get them these days (probably a combination of being fit, being old enough to have met most bugs before and avoiding too much alcohol) so I forget how miserable it is.

Kirky was my first Scottish race 4 years ago, haven't plucked up the courage to return yet to confront those hills . I have not done Garioch George, but I think I'll run the half which looks to have some fine hills. I was going suggest that you look at the Kinord 10k in September in Dinnett. Nice wee race on a tough but scenic, mostly off road course.

Off to bed to beat the viruses!

17/02/2013 at 20:59

Loch Kinord sounds good, I always seem to hear about it to late,which is a shame because it is only 10 mins from my house. depends when it falls compared to crathes half marathon (which is my main aim this year)

17/02/2013 at 21:21

Just back from a grand weeks skiing - first trip with all of us on skis, can't believe 8-year-old basically skied all day every day with hubby and I and 5-year-old daughter did mornings. Anyway fab snow conditions if a little bit much of the flat light. Ankle seems better (fingers crossed but not tried running on it) and a spectacular wipe-out in a half-pipe seems to have realigned whatever I pushed out when I stacked it on bike the other week! BUT have nasty cough/cold thing now instead - boo bah humbug!!!

That sounds like a shocker of an interview FFB

Yay to the taper TP - great training though.

Ummmm - yes - I was looking at the Glencoe marathon too.  Not sure of racing plans at the mo tbh ... 10 weeks until the Fling and I've not run for three weeks and done just one long run of 18 miles this year, will have to see how ankle behaves over next couple of weeks. Defnitely won't be doing Dee 33 now though; have pulled out of WHW race as sorting support crew AND childcare was getting too stressful so all in all a bit disheartening at the moment!  BUT I will still be doing my own 100-miler in the autumn, of that I am determined!

Also off to bed to beat viruses!

17/02/2013 at 21:22

I remember Swapshop

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.