Scottish Runners

30,441 to 30,460 of 31,032 messages
27/05/2014 at 19:20

I got a lift back to Milton Keynes with the other retirees, 5 of us, a couple of guys wanted hotels so we set off on a break neck drive around the delights of MK, with Henk driving and giving us all a running commentary. Now here is a man who knows how to rant...lets just say he thought less of Mk than I did of B-ham!!  No-one would take 3 shite covered men in until finally we got to the Jurys and they had a room! Hurray for Jurys Inn yet again !

Finally after all this faff a couple of us got dropped at the train station where to anybody watching it would probably be hilarious as these two manky stinking shit covered individuals attempted to buy tickets from a machine - it would be like watching chimps operating a computer...except with the added stink.

I got back to Euston and got a taxi to my hotel near Paddington. Finally arriving in my room 3hrs after I had DNF'ed. Big thanks to MrsMac here for suggesting I get a hotel booked, this was a lifesaver.

On Sunday I had a fabulous day at the British Museum and went to the Viking Exhibition, followed by an amazing lunch at the Museum, and then back on the tube, down to the Embankment, hobble along the Thames. The tube is some experience when you can hardly walk - or as Patsy off Ab Fab would say 'public transport sweetie? Scurrying around in the sewer like rats more like'. I loved it . London was great, and I had a much better day than if I had stayed on that manky canal eating crap food!!

27/05/2014 at 19:39

57.5 .

110 starters, 47 DNF's, TP off the path at 53m.

27/05/2014 at 20:21
I don't know how u remember all that detail TP, my races r always a mixed up blur in my head. Not beating myself up anymore. Got my Vulcan head on now ????. For one I was only ever supposed to b doing EMF as a training run, I haven't trained for a flat race and it was stupid and naive to expect it to b easy because my training has all bn hilly. I should have stuck to my original plan and ran it nice and slow. Instead I ran the start too fast and then it got unexpectedly warm midway in and started to get waves of nausea which had to walk out. Then as I knew I wasn't going to make a pb I lost motivation and kept stopping to walk. Even though walking actually hurt and running mostly didn't. When I was running even at the end I was managing 11-11:30 min Miles which is a good 1min Mile faster than I managed in final miles of previous 2 marathons. My plantar fasciitis has bn non existent and I have had no ankle pain. Only real soreness I had during race was soles of feet. Don't know if I need to b looking at something like Hokas ( or just avoiding rd races). Losing weight will hopefully help with the foot pain. Feet r fine now. My quads r trashed tho but I managed a nice easy 6 Mile trail run today.
27/05/2014 at 20:27
After race being too warm ( compared to all my training runs anyway) it cooled dwn and started raining just as I finished too. So spent several hrs cold and shivering in several train stations getting home. Took 3 hrs to get home and was best shower ever. Followed by a houmungous burger and wine at Wetherspoons. Then bed, wine and telly for rest of evening
27/05/2014 at 20:39

It sounds like both TP and TT's experiences ended well, even if the racing experience was not ideal (TT) and downright nasty (TP).

I remember the London Underground was no fun after the marathon with all those little ups and downs.

Nice night, must motivate myself...

27/05/2014 at 21:17

Sorry to hear about the races, any idea what the problem was, TP? You sound like you were totoally out of sorts fluid/ nutirition- wise- odd after you've done simliar distnaces to that without troubles. OBviously you did the right thing stopping- you live to fight another day!

27/05/2014 at 21:24

TP appears courtesy of the Birmingham Tourist Board... 

27/05/2014 at 21:29

Ok, how did my post from earlier reappear here? All I did was log in with a tablet rather than laptop .

28/05/2014 at 13:30

TT - well done for finishing when you felt sick. The temperature was all over the place when I was running on Saturday too, I'm sure that didn't help. I know a few people who have been caught out by the Edinburgh course, because of the crowds they have been forced along at too fast a pace at the start, and then it has either been hideously hot, or too windy.

Tricia - I've not been that well on and off this year with periods of fatigue, and was quite ill at the beginning of March, so that probably hasn't helped. But I felt fine on the G2E so I was prepared to just go out there and see how far I could go. As you say I have done similar (and longer) using the same food and drink, and had no stomach problems, really the problem on this was increasing weakness in the legs and lack of muscle control.

28/05/2014 at 19:28

Great report TP, well done for even having the balls to start, never mind stop when it went wrong. DNFing is not an easy thing to do, but its good you did, you'll be back

TT, well done for battling on

Was dead chuffed seeing Elspeths name appear on GO33 entry list

28/05/2014 at 19:58

Thanks MrsMac .

Maya Angelou died today, and I here offer tribute and salute her memory, and as she said 'in pain, I shall rise...' .

28/05/2014 at 20:06
TP - great report but shame it wasn't your day(s), brave to get that far when you weren't feeling good. You will be back indeed.

TT - well done in Edinburgh keeping going in a tough race. Sad that I won't get to meet you at Dirty thirty this year but think you'll enjoy that much more.

Mrs mac - don't know if it was lunacy entering the way things are but got to have something to hope for! Trying to be good and rest the leg for 6 weeks, so far going stir crazy after 2! Trying to learn front crawl for my sins - I will take a lot of teaching!
28/05/2014 at 20:37

That was some epic trip TP (really OH this time). You're not enticing me to try it. Well done for giving it a good go.

enjoy dirty 30 TT, we certainly did last year. 

28/05/2014 at 22:09

A friend at the weekend wedding, who was going to be spending a couple more weeks on the west coast, got a text from her old boss to ask if she was doing the Dirty 30. She was not sure if this was him being a sleazebag or referencing an event. Good thing I was able to put her mind at rest!

29/05/2014 at 07:36

TP & TT well done for persevering. TT you finished  and TP 53 miles is not to be sniffed at. Respect to you both.

29/05/2014 at 10:10

Thanks all.

I'm going to take a bit of a rest from training and let things recover before I attempt anything else. Not that I could do much at the moment anyway!

Good luck with the swimming Elspeth !

30/05/2014 at 09:35

BM - I hadn't noticed . Wow, this thread has been going a while.

30/05/2014 at 13:00

Must be one of the longest running threads on RW .

Shows how much we like a good blether up here .

31/05/2014 at 22:13

Is anyone driving from Glasgow to the strathearn mara? I will be going up on my own, and would love a lift if one is on offer, as I've not tried driving myself home after a marathon before.

If I can't blag a lift, Iam driving myself, I could give a seat to any brave soul needing a lift to the race, but be warned- my car is tiny ( MAzda MX5- not comfy after a race!), and I may be trying to drive with cramp on the way back!

Was meaning to run today, but work was a bother this moring, and then had a visit from a double glazing salesman  this pm- not happy with the high pressure sales chat, and the pseudo "special discounts", and the whole pantomime of repeatedly phoning the boss to see if we qualify for special discounts, etc. Then he wanted us to make a snap decision today, as the special price will magically disppear by monday. GRrrrr. NO way I trust a company using those sales tactics.

01/06/2014 at 16:52

Tricia - not often I would advertise a company on the internet, but if you want a reliable service and none of the sales chat try Pollokshaws Glazing, they are a local company based in Shawlands, been going for years, did all my glazing spot on (they use proper carpenters so even built new window frames to fit my squinty 100yr old building), they also have done window repairs in our close for the factor with no problems. Worth a phone call anyway .

5hrs on the allotment today, got a bit wet , but caught up with all my jobs I've been wanting to do.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.