Scottish Runners

30,461 to 30,480 of 33,220 messages
21/02/2013 at 20:44

Thanks for the get well wishes, finally feel human again this evening. May even run at the weekend... slowly. Hope you are on the mend too cragchick. Must be a bug travelling the north as we have two others off at work with similar symptoms.

Nice job getting the Broken Spectre MrsMac, even if luck was involved. Must be over 25 years since I last saw the effect really well.

Still really nice out this evening. But boy was the wind cold. The sooner I am back to running with the dog and generating heat the better.

21/02/2013 at 21:45

Hmmm, know what you mean about heat generating 57.5.I went for a brisk five mile WALK in Culbin today, was glorious in the sunshine but my fingers and toes were frozen.  There do seem to be many horrible forms of the virus around.  Am feeling cautiously better. There is an orienteering event at the weekend so may try out my legs at that.  Probably a better bet than when I thrashed around the Masters XC the other week - that did my niggles no favours at all!!

Sounds like fab running on the WHW Mrs Mac. And yes, I do feel less stressed now ... although now I need to find some autumn ultras instead ...

22/02/2013 at 06:29

Morning

Bit milder when out today. No frost.

Right coffee time.

22/02/2013 at 14:40

Afternoon all

Nice dry run this morning, long may this spell of good weather continue .

MrsMac - ooooo spooky ! Must have been pretty dramatic though. I've read of that effect but never seen it myself.

Cragchick - Jedburgh ultra was good last year, certainly worth the trip South if they do it again. Plenty cross country and plenty mud-tastic ! Hope you can make the Fling this year.

Right I need to go and find the cat - he has a new trick, which involves squeezing himself down the back of the fish tank amongst all the pipes and then hanging onto the edge of the glass with his claws so he can get the fish 'from behind' ! He never used to be able to do this, but since I decorated and put the tank back it is just a few milimetres further out from the wall than before, and he is exploiting it !

Happy weekend everyone, and good running.

23/02/2013 at 08:24

Quiet on here yesterday !

Easy session in daylight for me today.

TP: Wow some new trick by the cat. Geordie is lying at my feet.

MissB is playing in an accordian competition this afternoon.

Edited: 23/02/2013 at 08:24
23/02/2013 at 09:19

morning

off to XC nationals today!!  Looking forward to it!! No pain no gain as they say 

Sounds like those on the sick bench are improving!! 

TP your cat makes me laugh, he is a bit of a mentalist!!

Good luck to MissB in her competition!!

23/02/2013 at 10:23

Good luck UTC, and good luck MissB today.

Cat is indeed a looney, no way he could be an indoor cat, the house would be trashed, although he has just had a few hours out this morning and has now taken himself off to his radiator bed for a sleep! All that mischief obviously makes you tired!

Snowing out , teeny flakes.

Off out for a long run once my third cup of tea has gone down .

23/02/2013 at 16:02

Sounds like a clever cat TP.

Mrs Mac- yes, I'm looking forward to the Smokies race. I'm number 66.

Timekeeping at the parkrun this morning. Record turnout.

23/02/2013 at 16:31

Turned into a lovely Spring day once the snow stopped .

Not surprised you got so many for the PR Alison, weather is definitely picking up and we are nearly coming into 'road race season', folks will be champing at the bit to get out .

Lovely 20miles today, giving 55.5m total for the week, let tapering commence . Dropping the weekly miles and only having to do one lsr certainly makes it feel a damn sight easier than doing 3 in a row!!

23/02/2013 at 17:17

Suffering with a hip niggle this week- think it's piriformis- stirred up last last weekends 18 miler- managed to make it worse by doing the 6 miles each way to work wednesday. Felt a bit better today on a cautious tready run, so hoping I can get out for a dcent run tomorrow. Never really had this particular niggle before, so not sure of best approach.

New Salomon sac is great!

24/02/2013 at 07:34

Morning all. Lots of news. but first:

TP LOL re the cat. Miss Tallulah is always findign new tricks. It is quite exhausting keeping up with her.

Tricialitt: could be psoas too. Suggest mega stretching session for the glute and hip area, plus try some yogic hip openers.

Big News: I have a kit sponsor for Antarctica - Helly Hansen. Gave them gold tier partner status and exclusivity except for my socks and running shoes.

Next: I got offered a new contract but it is the interview from hell one. Did not get the contract for the other interview which I thought I had nailed. Bit of thinking required, not to mention negoatiating.

Next: Baby FFB got rejected by Edniburgh art school, and it looks like Glasgow will follow suit. Her mini digital port folio was not enough to temp them to asking her for the fullone. I am gutted as is she. But, in some wasy I am not surprised cos I think she mucked a bout a bit at the start of the year and just did not have the volume of good enough work. She is good and has the ability. but I think just lacked a bit of application when it really mattered.Plan B, if Dundee offers, accept and defer. Do HNC and try again for 2014. If she does not get Edinburgh in 2014 she will take up the deferred place.

Finally: I cycled the Loch Katrine route yesterday to finish measuring and marking. It was not hugely successful as my paint ran out at 20 miles. Also the route at the top needs changes so I had to faff about a bit to workout and measure an alternative. The direct route I was going to use has a set of padlocked gates blocking the way  I worked something out going through the buildings, but it means a few more marshals which are like hens' teeth at the moment.

24/02/2013 at 09:53

ffb- the navigation requirements will add abit of extra excitement to LK. Sure it'll be fine- annoying about the gates, though. Greatr news about the HH sponsorship!

Am going to try a medium- long run today without fuelling up first- should work on the fat- burning / nutrition side of things without straining the (recovering??) hip. Did loads of stretching yesterday before falling asleep on the sofa all afternoon . We'll see.

24/02/2013 at 10:51

I was watching at Falkirk yesterday UTC, hope you enjoyed your run Didn't spot either of you I'm afraid.

Great day and nice weather for it too. Keep promising myself I'll do it but had flu etc for six weeks this winter so no chance. So jogged (anonymously!) around the Pollok parkrun instead.

Apparently two new Glasgow parkrun courses starting, Tollcross and Victoria Park, should be worth watching out for.

24/02/2013 at 12:28
Was at Falkirk yesterday with my daughter, she was running and full respect to all those kids that took part. Some fantastic runners but no matter where they finished they were all brilliant.
24/02/2013 at 12:41

would be great if one of the park runs could break with tradition, and start earlier or later- I have a saturday ward round at 9am that I can't shift, so can never get to parkrun.

Just back from 11 miles slowly, stopping and stretching hip at every availalbe park bench. Think I'v e got away without further damage, will see how I feel tomorrow.

Cold out today!

24/02/2013 at 14:35

You are not kidding its cold Tricia .

Out on the bike today, 3 pairs of gloves on and the wind still nearly froze my hands to the handlebars . Feel a bit silly putting on layer after layer in the house, but then really appreciate it when I'm up on the moors in the wind. Loads of cyclists out today . Passed by a couple of lochs where the first few metres of water out from the shore were completely frozen over - strange white edges glinting in the distance, looked like snow over ice.

Good news from HH FFB . Not sure if that is good news about the job - need your best negotiating head on for that one !

24/02/2013 at 16:35

tricia, I sympathise. I'm doing a 22 week history course which is on Saturday mornings so had to skip a lecture to run yesterday. There's always the Atkins 3k on Fri pms if you're in the neighbourhood and not working then! (well last Fri of each month anyway).

Or... you could organise a special 'Hospital parkrun' early Saturday yourself, THEN do your ward round.

24/02/2013 at 18:06

Great news from HH ffb.

UTC - how did you do yesterday?

25/02/2013 at 06:57

morning, sorry took my time to check in

XC was a great day, weather was cracking. Much larger field and faster races than last year as the weather was much wetter then.

I didnt have the best race in that I was slower than last year but happy enough to see it as a good training run on my road back from no running for a few months before the new year. Mostly not aiming for PB's the 1st half of this year and hope to build back up to full fitness by summer. Bf was a bit quicker than last year but about 20 places back - but there were way more contenders and it was a much faster run so he's still happy. About 80th.

Yesterday went through to Stirling early doors for a 50m pool swim (seeing as we dont have 1 here at the moment!).. then ran up and down Dalmayat. We were through for the rugby at Murrayfield so thought we'd make a day of it!! Oh and well done Scotland!!!! (Ok it wasn't the best game but still, 1st back to back win for us for quite some time!!) Dinner at the 78 (where else?) topped off a pretty awesome weekend!!! Was exhausted last night mind you so it was an early 1.

Well done on the sponsor FFB!! That's great!! Hope you sort out work though, thats  a difficult one

Hope the hip niggle is ok Tricia!!

I'm a bit tight from the last 2 days but will run tonight with club - hill reps

25/02/2013 at 12:18

great news on the HH kit sponser FFB. well done.

sounds like an exceptionally busy weekend there UTC, no wonder you are a 'bit tight'.

skipped my long run this weekend due to some a tight calf muscle on my right leg. did an hour on the treadmilll at the hotel gym whilst i was working down south last week and my legs really didn't appreciate it. must learn some outdoor routes near the office down there as me and treadmills really don;t get on.

back out this morning and it was baltic. good 6 miles although feeling a little under prepared for Loch Katrine.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.