Scottish Runners

30,481 to 30,500 of 33,425 messages
07/04/2013 at 21:35

Well done on the PB Alison.

Great job in the G2E Tricia, and happy Birthday! It is a tough course if you get down on yourself with the monotonous terrain, especially when the countour starts taking you back away from Edinburgh. I'm glad I decided not to run this year as I was too full of cold to give it a good go. Did get in a few miles on the canal around Bishopbriggs yesterday, though, and it's all been tarmaced! Not sure what the tongue could be other than a reaction to a cocktail of energy food, or you had a dry mouth and were subconsciously rubbing it on teeth or palate.

How was the stretch from Drovers to Crianlarich FFB? Was going to do that section on our way south if I'd been healthier but won't get to practice it now. My wife also thought the Drovers was 'interesting', and full of her fellow Americans today. Dog friendly to two tired an muddy big pooches though which is always a plus.

I can report that the east side of the Loch is very dry TP. I was feeling a bit better today so took the dogs from the car park at Sallochy Wood up to the Drovers. Bit wet south of Inversnaid and a few slippy spots in the really rough bit 4-5 km north of the hotel but no trouble at all for the shoes. Sadly the weather was a bit dull as I'd been looking forward to some views.

Lots of snow blowing around up north on the way home but nothing lying, even over the Dava.

08/04/2013 at 09:39

Morning all

Well done on the pb Alison.

Elspeth - onwards and upwards. Are you going to Cape Wrath this year? You are cursed with the Fling in the same way I am cursed with that damned TP100 !!

57.5 - thanks, that is good to know. Makes an easy shoe choice. I always take that Inversnaid scrambly bit really slowly, then try to catch up a bit later on.

I don't know what you all mean about the Drovers - I thought all pubs in the Highlands were meant to be like that !

Rest day today, trying to shift this cold, mostly above the neck, but feels like there might be some small alien being lodged in my throat .

08/04/2013 at 14:25

A'noon

Thought I'd posted on here earlier.

Oh well

Hill reps x 6 for me this morning. Mile warm up and down.

08/04/2013 at 15:04

The Drovers is indeed an experience  The section I was on was very dry also.

TP have you had your race brief info already?

Speed intervals for me today.

08/04/2013 at 19:30

FFB - nope, there was some info at the bottom of the entry email though, mainly about the foil blanket. Apparently something will go up on the site soon.

08/04/2013 at 19:42

Crazy weather here, quite a snowfall last night - for April anyhow then all melted and quite warm for a wee run up wideford hill this afternoon. Hard work, not fit!

Hoping to be at Cape Wrath in that have booked accommodation etc so it's a weeks holiday in sunny(?) Durness if nothing else but hope I'll be fit to run some of it. Not so hopeful about the marathon though.

Fling was one of those runs I really wanted to do sometime, however shelved for forseable future.

Remember Drovers from when we did WHW - walking in 1984! Quite a place.

08/04/2013 at 19:52
Drovers 1984 - yes the only time Els and I slept in a 4 poster bed!
08/04/2013 at 20:56

Allison: Well done on th epb.

Tricia: A belated Happy Birthday.

10/04/2013 at 15:25

Hi there.  Do I start this with the obligatory "I'm sorry to be so crap at keeping up."?  I hope people have all been well. 

I got to meet a couple of forumites in recent months... UTC at Falkirk - was that really a month and a half ago? - and Kirsty and Scobos at recent park runs.  I may have met others of you, but I'm assuming you don't actually look like rabbits and meerkats, so your internet disguises serve you well.... Also, that isn't a real photo of me on my avatar either.

Anyway... Is anyone going to Lochaber this weekend?  I might do a run there!

10/04/2013 at 15:53

Latest blog entry

10/04/2013 at 18:08

Three days of no running for me - cold has turned rotten . Think I am going to have to take this whole week as a no-goer, and hope I can breath again by the weekend. NOT a good way to approach the Fling taper .

10/04/2013 at 20:21

Ian:Nah don't bother mate good to have you posting again anyway

TP: Sorry to hear you're 'no well'.

10/04/2013 at 20:35

The WHW in 1984 was quite an experience for me. Sunburn and clegs replaced the usual pissing rain and midgies.

Durness? I guess that's a southern beach holiday for Orcadians .

Taper for the Fling starts here, but it is hard to plan that when the rest of the training has been so haphazard. Think I'll swap Tuesday intervals for a hill run with Highland Hill Runners for the next two weeks but otherwise, who knows.

At least your cold has come well pre race TP. And it's too late for training to make a difference so enjoy the rest!

10/04/2013 at 22:41

Hi. 

I am a newbie to the forum and to running. I live in Alloa.

I am in training for my first 10k at Balfron. I am loving running because there are so many beautiful places here.

11/04/2013 at 09:39

cleg

n (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Animals) another name for a horsefly esp one of the genus Haematopota [from Old Norse kleggi   Well, that's that question answered.  They don't sound very nice to be bitten by.  If, indeed, there is anything that is nice to be bitten by.   Welcome Lee-Anne.  I remember looking at the Balfron 10K last year, then being far too disorganised to enter it.  Good luck with it.   Last night, I went to Morrisons and bought lots of carbohydrates, because I'm allowed to eat as much as I want for the next 3 days, or something.  Do any of you actually do carb-loading?  I read some of the web sites about it, and I think I'm going to spend the next 3 days feeling sick if I eat what some of them recommend.  Also, the same people that told me to carb-load told me to go for couple of runs in the days before the marathon.  They are wise running people, but I don't get it - surely one counteracts the other?  
11/04/2013 at 09:44

Welcome Lee-Anne. Balfron will be a good first 10k  Sounds like you have the bug.

Yep, fling tapering. I feel as if I have not really got back into things after the D33 and I am back on tapering: yikes  Run today and then rest day tomorrow as I have hairdresser, then an interview for a new contract. And then as it is our 22nd wedding anniversary we are going to the GFT later afternoon, followed by cocktails at the Blytheswood and dinner at Two Fat Ladies.

Not quite decided what to do for the weekends training. Do I risk a 20??? or would it be better to do a couple for shorter runs back to back  

11/04/2013 at 10:12

Morning all

57.5 - true, I am kinda not worrying too much about missing this weeks training, this 'Man-Flu' is my body telling me to ease back a bit I think .

Its funny, cos I didnt do that 100 obviously, but its like, psychologically I have gone through all the things I would have if I had done it , and physically felt knackered and I now have a bad cold, which I might also have got at this point.....weird stuff.

Good luck at Balfron Lee-Anne. Its a nice race and very well organised and welcoming.

Good luck also Ian this weekend. No I don't really do carbo-loading, although I would probably have something like fish and chips the night before a marathon. For ultras I tend to up my salt intake slightly in the week before, ie eat more crisps , and generally try to eat quite well, but I don't pig out by any means, think it can make the system a bit sluggish.

Good luck with the interview FFB and happy anniversary . I definitely won't be doing 20m this weekend , but probably try a couple of short runs if my lungs are clear of gunk.

11/04/2013 at 10:32

Thanks TP... yeah, one of the things I thought when someone advised "11 bowls of pasta" was that that was a good way to spend 3 days on the toilet.  Although this guy has done a few marathons in his time.  Hmmm... well, I might as well eat this cookie, just in case.  I wouldn't like to jeapordise my race time by not eating it.

FFB - a 20 mile run as part of a taper?  That's one tough taper.  Happy anniversary, though!

Edited: 11/04/2013 at 11:43
11/04/2013 at 16:21

TP - Hope the cold soon goes.

Happy tapering all you fling runners, wish I was too. Still 8 miles yesterday - felt OK just slow!

57.5 - yes a Beach holiday in the sun - though it was more like a windy week in Orkney last year - even had a small snow shower in the middle of one run! Hoping for sun, sea and sand this year!

IJ -  nice to see you, enjoy Lochaber, bound to be sunny that weekend, it always is!

FFB - Happy anniversary.

11/04/2013 at 21:06

Thank you all for the welcome and best wishes for the fling!

I didlooking for some beautiful runs to do in central Scotland  the summer. Any ideas?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.