Scottish Runners

30,481 to 30,500 of 31,032 messages
08/06/2014 at 19:28

Yes was thinking that, if I just hadn't taken phone with me! As you say it's usually necessary but today was just annoying. I once got called in 1 mile into a supposed 20 miler, another mile or two in and would have been out of signal range!

08/06/2014 at 20:02

Well done Tricia and Elspeth today .

1.5hr for 60miles??  I know they have some good cyclists in Orkney but that is just a bit mental .

Welcome to the thread Literatin - plenty of us here not actually Scottish  but live here . Glasgow Half gets very very busy, so its okay if you like city runs, but a bit over-crowded at the start and difficult to get a good time, unless you can get right near the front of your pen and get a good unhindered start.

09/06/2014 at 14:41

Hi literatin.. Glasgow half is mobbed and well not particularly great. As said if you like city mass participation events then it's ok. I did it last year when they changed the course and did it previous on the old course. You will get a crowded run, a mass produced medal that everyone gets the same, even the kids who do saturday runs and a rubbish cotton tee shirt.....oh and you won't get any change from £30 for the privilege!!!

If you want a cheaper better organised friendly half marathon with a proper technical tee shirt do the kirkintilloch half marathon which is the same day as Glasgow half. 

09/06/2014 at 15:18

Thanks Tigerspaw and bigeater. Glad I can get away with not being actually Scottish. I think the jury is still out for me on Glasgow as I do tend to get my best times in 'big' races, rather than ones where there are fewer runners at my pace, and I never run in t-shirts,* but cheap and well-organised sound good so I will definitely have a look at Kikintilloch too! What is the course like?

*NB. I wear vests. I don't run topless or anything crazy like that.

09/06/2014 at 16:06
Or there's the Antonine trail race, starts and finishes at Croy station so easy travel from Edinburgh
09/06/2014 at 16:41

Well I guess there must be something to be said for mass events as Glasgow Half still stands as my Half pb from 2007 , but that was on the old version of the course, and I did manage to place myself in a good spot at the start. And I haven't really been training specifically for Halfs since, but....

Kirkintilloch is a really good run. Its got some hilly bits around the houses, but there are some good long flat stretches too once you are out into the countryside. And it is very well organised, good marshalling, and very friendly.

Hill and step-rep training for me today in preparation for North Downs in August ! Oh yes, hills, how I like them so much more than canals .

09/06/2014 at 16:46

Hi literatin, the course is mainly ran on quiet country roads with the campsie hills as the backdrop. I won't lie to you it's not the flatest course but really only one longish climb with the last two miles Flatish and downhill. Really good race starting and finishing at kirkintilloch sports centre so plenty toilets,lockers,showers and even a swimming pool if you want a soak....lol. around 500-600 usually do it so easy to fit in and enjoy it at your own pace. 

09/06/2014 at 17:15

Antonine trail race sounds lovely, but one to enjoy rather than to 'race'; I might try to fit in a fast half first and then do it for fun later in the autumn. I can't say I'm crazy about hills, but I may have to learn to love them as many of the races I've been looking at describe themselves as 'undulating'...

09/06/2014 at 20:15
Strangely I am faster on hilly routes, I have ran 3 marathons, EMF twice and Strathearn. Strathearn is still my fastest. My 5k pb was on a hilly route too.
09/06/2014 at 22:42

literatin-I recognise you from some other threads-as TP says, the Glasgow half is a fairly typical mass particiaption event- the travel and facilities at the start are pretty packed with punters and unless you are either in the elite pen, or able to fight your way to the front of your pen, you'll get snarled up in heavy crowds at the start. It is  a slightly steep uphill start to the course, (unless they change the route again),and on the odd occaision the crowds have been so thick as you cross the Kingston bridge that some parts of the pack are slowed right down due to sheer weight of numbers, but otherwise reasonably fast/well organised.

Not sure which other halfs to suggest as fast alternatives, perhaps helensburgh half?

10/06/2014 at 08:21

Tricialitt- think the helensburgh half is being replaced with a new 7mile run or is this new race?

10/06/2014 at 12:54
literatin wrote (see)

Hello Scottish runners. I am not Scottish, but will soon be moving to Scotland so I hope you don't mind if I pop in from time to time with ignorant noob questions about Scottish races etc.

The first of which is: has anyone done Glasgow half, and is it worth travelling 70 miles (from Fife) for? There don't seem to be recent reviews, not that I have looked especially hard, admittedly.

Wouldn't bother

10/06/2014 at 12:57

Anyone doing Black Rock '5' this week?

10/06/2014 at 16:26

I was thinking of doing the Rouken Glen 10k on Thursday, but then saw the weather forecast and changed my mind ...I've had my fill of liquid mud and torrential rain for at least the next 3months!

I'm looking for a nice road 10k but keep finding these multi-terrain ones instead.

10/06/2014 at 18:48
There's Stromness 10k at the end of July TP? But I'm sure lots nearer to you!
10/06/2014 at 19:42

Lol Elspeth - maybe if I was made of money I could come to Orkney just for a 10k . But I'm going down to Kent in August for NDW100 so all my cash is aimed at that - anything else needs to be very local !

10/06/2014 at 20:40

10K? *shudders*  the thought brings me out in a cold sweat

10/06/2014 at 21:06

Its not that bad MrsMac - at least the pain is over a lot quicker .

10/06/2014 at 23:50

Hope to meet you in Hoy SueW. You'll find me after the race in the beer tent .

Rare experience for northern Scotland tonight of being caught in a big thunderstorm. Just as wet as those in other bits of the world but rather colder!

11/06/2014 at 08:14
Or in a leading position through the race 57.5! Hope you have a good day, don't think I'm going to be a happy bunny that day though!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.