Scottish Runners

30,481 to 30,500 of 33,227 messages
25/02/2013 at 12:42

Afternoon all,

Did 9 miles yesterday and struggled a bit. Friday was 7, saturday 26 miles cycle at Loch Katrine, Sunday 9 miles. Talking of under prepared I am very underprepared for D33

I have opened negotiations re the job/contract. Still a bit unsure but have started a good dialogue with them, just something still niggling away a bit .....

Thought this might be useful, if a bit scary: LK 10k profile LK Half profile LK Marathon profile

25/02/2013 at 13:02

Likewise feeling underprepared for Loch Katrine but blue skies and 7°C in Orkney.
Hobbled after 15 miles yesterday - time for taper

25/02/2013 at 13:52

I'm looking forward to Loch Katrine (doing the half), but I'm treating it as a scenic fun run. It's been a winter of injury and illness for me and I'm treating this is a training run on my way to being fit to run Paris in April.

Miles 5 to 7 look like, erm, fun!

25/02/2013 at 14:35

not sure fun is the right word for miles that part of the course Eggy.

25/02/2013 at 14:43

Maybe just the down bits then!

On the car share thing is anyone is in the Bishopton/Erskine-ish area and wants a lift send me a message. Although be aware I'm not in good form so will probably be 2 hours-ish or slighty more to complete the half, so you may have to hang about at the finish.

25/02/2013 at 16:36

I am so underprepared that I am not doing Dee 33 ... so I think you are probably better prepped than me FFB!!!

Great news re the sponsorship ... I've been a fan of HH for more years than I care to mention!

I ran today .... about 4 miles I reckon and just a slight niggle but not significant in ankle ... out and back from Kingsteps after dropping hubby at airport. So glorious.  So cautiously hopeful about a return to running ...

TP - was thinking about that ultra down in the borders, loved the sound of it

I am bailing on Fling too - I know I can complete it but having not got any decent training in for over a month, it would be more painful than it needs to be and considerably slower ... I'd be annoyed at myself and I'd like to try and do some races in decent form this year ... ha ha ha, dream on but we shall see.

25/02/2013 at 18:24

Good news about the sponsorship FFB Can't wait for Loch Katrine now

Thats a shame about the Fling cragchick

Hope all the niggles heal soon!

Took my friend on her first off-road run at the weekend. Hope she's still talking to me

25/02/2013 at 18:58

LOL at introing friend to off-road running. It amazes me here, we are surrounded by decent trails close to car parks etc and when I speak to school-run mums, they only ever run on the road as they are too scared to go off-road. Do people know something I don't???  I probably have a market for school-drop-off trail running for beginners though I guess

How far South is South Longbow?

Is a bu**er missing these races but am trying to be philosophical.  Need to keep focussed on keeping my Pilates classes/training on track too so plenty to keep me out of trouble!

25/02/2013 at 19:35

was down in southampton. office is in non-descript part, chilworth, with a hotel right next to it so there is no real chance to explore or find routes. needs to get onto google maps as i hate running in random directions in the hope of finding a route. always end up in cul-de-sac's or running down dead ends.

25/02/2013 at 19:54

Ah but you are wrong Longbow - Chilworth is just off the start of the SDW ... in fact Chilworth Sports Ground is the start point for the Centurion Running SDW100 miles (did it last year!!).  Definitely get the local OS map cos there is plenty of beautiful, hilly running to be had around there, esp now evenings starting to get lighter ... Clarendon Way also runs out of Winchester in the other direction (towards Salisbury) and it's nice running through Winchester itself (down by river and into the water meadows etc).  I lived in Farnham before we moved up here three years ago (still have a house there) so am reasonably familiar with countryside. Definitely agree cul-de-sacs and dead-ends are NOT good though

26/02/2013 at 06:15

Morning you lot

Morning Tri

Lots to catch up on will do so soon

4M Steadily done. Dry, mild, no wind. Okay run.

26/02/2013 at 08:27

longbow - sorry, getting Chilworth confused with Chilcombe - talking total rubbish!!! Although they are probably closish, not quite the same!!

26/02/2013 at 09:04

no problem cragchick. will definitely be getting the maps out before my next trip though. might not make it all the way to winchester though

26/02/2013 at 11:15

26/02/2013 at 16:30

Afternoon all

If it wasnt for the slightly chilly wind you would think it was a Summer's day here today - nah, scratch that, this is nicer than the usual Summer!!!

Nice 10m this morning, then finished lots of work.

Cragchick - you could have said 'Chatsworth' instead - now that would be a really long way for Longbow to run . Boo to not doing Fling , but you sound like things are focused later in the year, particularly if you do that long Autumn trail thing you were talking about, so its probably best not to overdo things now anyway.

Thames path organisers sound positive about us getting to run the majority of the trail - river levels have dropped significantly and apart from lots of mud, they seem positive it will keep drying out, so good news there! I'm not convinced Oxfordshire will be totally mud free though  it was a quagmire last year and they hadnt even had so much rain. Anyway, apparently there is another race using the South bank of the river near where we start so the council are making them divert us to the North bank for the first 4.2miles ! PAH - how very dare they .....sounds like it is just some local 5k or something - so divert they feckers, we are running 100miles!!!!

They probably think when you are going that far you probably dont care ! TBH I don't actually care, as long as I dont get lost, that is the main thing .

26/02/2013 at 17:33

I don't think Oxfordshire is ever mud-free ... well based on my Ridgeway experiences in early February over the years ... but then you wouldn't want it to lack challenge would you!!!  That does seem a bit of a joke re 5km race though!

Am definitely still planning my Autumn trail thingy, absolutely, and have got a couple of circuits I really want to have a bash at from my 'Scottish Hill running' book which will need to building up too - so no lacking for challenges really if I can stay injury-free ... and definitely thinking I'll do the Jedburgh thing in October too.

Anyway - I have run, two days in a row. A mere four miles each time and Garminless. But in glorious sunshine even if it's baltic and icy underfoot etc

... and yes, Chatsworth is definitely a long way off ... and then there's Chiddingfold, not quite so far away but sitll a bit of a stretch  ...

Edited: 26/02/2013 at 17:34
26/02/2013 at 22:27

I'm glad the fine weather outlasted my cold, it's been very scenic over the last few days. Expecting to see crowds on the paths of Culbin once cragchick evangelises the school run mums!

First 10k of the season Sunday, training has been a bit stop and start but I'm hoping to up the miles as the days lengthen. Felt recovered from the cold at last today anyway.

Well done on the big sponsor FFB, must make the rest of the process seem just a bit less daunting.

27/02/2013 at 06:14

Morning, foggy out here, 

So be careful how you go this morning.

27/02/2013 at 08:15

morning all. Drill and intervals last night which somehow landed me a total of 7 miles including warm and and cool down. Not sure how tht happened. No wonder I was a bit pooped

Chatsworth is one of my favourite places. I am distantly related on my Mum's side Also the Castle Howard mob.

Anyway, back to Edinburgh today to have another chat with the the interview from hell people. Other opportunities have not come through and I have to work, so I may have to consider taking it

27/02/2013 at 10:29

Still foggy here now BM - I think I will postpone my morning run today, this weather is bad for the asthma with all the pollution etc.

Lol CC - 100miles is meant to be the challenge, not the mudbath element, but yeah I know what you mean . Last yeah the Ridgeway had hardly any mud (they had had that 'mini-drought' thing in Jan / Feb ), and was quite a pleasant part of the run, I was expecting a hard climb out of Streatley but it turned into a nice bit of hill to wake us up at 3am . Tempted to do the whole of the Ridgeway at some point - it looks really good .

The worst bit of the Thames last year was near Benson, totally exposed to the elements, wind and rain lashing across the farmland, mudbath slidey quagmire fields (shudder).....and now I'm going back for more ? I just keep telling myself it cannot be as bad as the Lake District ! I will take on the mud in a decent pair of Inov's, much more preferable to solid slate stone paths that are too slippy to get a grip on, with ankle deep water soaking your feet the whole time, and pounding the skin off cos there is not a soft piece of ground anywhere .

Oooh I love running !!!!

FFB - good luck today. Used to go to Chatsworth lots when I lived in Engerland, my mother liked to perambulate the grounds of stately homes and find ideas for things she could do in her garden - hence a large collection of monumental ornaments and hanging baskets cluttering up a tiny back lawn !

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.