Scottish Runners

30,541 to 30,560 of 33,345 messages
05/03/2013 at 06:11

Morning

4M Steady. Cold, bit foggy. Okay run.

Saw a deer when out , first time in ages on morning run.

Morning Tri.

05/03/2013 at 06:12

TP: Enjoy Galloway today.

05/03/2013 at 08:53

Hi, been in hiding as injured again so I'm afraid my apperance at Katrine is going to be as a marshall.

Some good running going on, esp Mrs Mac and Ali at Smokeys and 57.5 with his long warm up!

Out last night to hear William Sichel and his team speaking about his ultra training. Sounds rather different with extreme weight training rather than distance. All on home made equipment in his animal shed on Sanday! Very interesting, not sure how it translates to the rest of us though.

Still frustratingly swimming with the odd short cycle.

05/03/2013 at 10:08

Morning all, I can see the logic with the weight training. It builds strength and stamina which are vital. Less chance of mechanical/overuse injury with less running. So strength, stamina and nutrition and technically your sorted.

05/03/2013 at 10:30

FFB - can see the logic up to a point but he's lifting weights of up to 450kg while being only 55kg himself!

05/03/2013 at 12:30

That was Elspeth not me!

05/03/2013 at 19:49

Nice easy run this evening, just over 4 miles. Foggy here this morning, but very nice now.

05/03/2013 at 19:49

Lovely day out at Glen Trool today, long drive, but nice to get somewhere really quite remote and off the beaten track. Headed out up into the hills and saw only two other walkers in 4hrs - thats my kind of population density  - ran just a little but mostly walked 'ultra pace stylee' to test the shoes, whilst also took a packed lunch to test the stomach !

Sorry to hear you are injured again Elspeth . Hopefully catch up with you on Sunday at some point.

I guess Sichel does extreme weight training cos you would get really really bored running ultra distance training everyday round and round a tiny island . I've walked half the length of Sanday, and it aint exactly vast!.....plus there is that horrific wind .

05/03/2013 at 20:26

TP - So annoying as I was just about to start tapering when it struck again. But yes hope to see you Sunday.

Apparently you just can't train for ultras involving multidays and 1000 miles just by increasing miles as can never simulate race conditions. So apparently lifting a baby elephant can! Also hopping for miles down snowy lanes! Seems to work for him though.

05/03/2013 at 21:07

I fully intend to adopt the William Sichel training method just as soon as I sign up for my first 1000 mile race...

One of my patients today did her first 5km race at Nairn on Sunday, well into her 80s! She walked with a Curves team but said that she ended up on her own as many of them were too slow .

Did hill reps tonight with a group who had virtually all run the 10k on Saturday. There was much complaining! Still great running weather despite a layer of grey cloud obscuring the views.

05/03/2013 at 22:49

That does sound a lovely ultra-walk TP

Boo to injury Elspeth ... hope you mend soon, I am teetering half on - half off bench at the moment!

Taught two pilates classes today and did 7 on the treadmill with 3 at an approximate half marathon pace, although have no idea what that would be as haven't done one since 2008!!!  Anyway, it felt pretty harsh - really struggling to regain whatever I lost over those weeks of no training , or perhaps lingering of virus - who knows. On we press!

Thats a lovely tale re the lady and her 5km race  well done on hill reps

06/03/2013 at 06:19

Morning, 4 Steady miles for me. Bit of a plod

TP: Glad you enjoyed Glen Trool

06/03/2013 at 17:38

I liked the story about the 80yr old too . Sometimes I think older folks are constrained by what (younger) people think they should be doing  - but give them half a chance and they are out there giving it what for .

Rest day for me today.

Elspeth - once you get over 50+ miles its all about the head game anyway, so tbh it doesnt really matter how you choose to train, as long as you have some mileage in the legs . Plus yer man Sichel, he's a farmer? So he is on his feet all day doing a physical job, in often horrifically hard conditions (I've worked outdoors in Orkney in the Winter ), if thats not good training for very long ultras I dont know what is .

CC - good work on the pilates .

BM - I like it cos there are no people about . Was looking at holiday cottages down there, but in the summer it is mega-bucks expensive, so I guess it does get very busy at some points during the year. From Glasgow it is great for a long day out.

06/03/2013 at 18:35

Evening all. A pretty bad run this evening. Legs heavy.

Not sure if I posted this: my first Helly Kit Review

06/03/2013 at 19:02

My minor foot sprain is now improving with taping
- Yay! I might get back to the pier on Sunday
Seems really sad to be going down with (non running) Elspeth though.

06/03/2013 at 19:53

Forecast for Sunday:  2°C feeling -5°C, overcast, rain maybe snow.
Think I'll pack some layers!

06/03/2013 at 22:00

eek ... we are hoping to try and ski at Cairngorm though, so could be perfect for that!!!

10 miles for me today - yay - between work this morning and the school pick-up.  Nice slow plod in my favourite forest, but starting to feel like my legs belong to me again!! Lots of deep digging massage to calf and stretching along with voltarol gel applications seem to be keep ankle quiet-ish ...

Rest day tomorrow I think - have run 4 days in a row now ... definitely tempting fate

07/03/2013 at 06:15

Morning

It was wet, cold and windy when out for my 4 miles today !

Morning Tri

TP: Holidayed down there as a kid in late 1970s.

07/03/2013 at 07:53

It is sad that Elspeth won't be running  Bt she will do a sterling job marshaling. The event would not be possible without the marshals giving their time.

Weather forecast varies depending on which site you look at   I am hoping for the dry but cold one that I saw

08/03/2013 at 12:52

jings, where has everyone gone? must have left for Loch Katrine already

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.