Scottish Runners

30,561 to 30,580 of 33,474 messages
20/04/2013 at 15:58

Just back from a 18 miles recce run on the Clyde stride with a group of guys off Facebook- great way to get a long run in. Tired now.....I think the 55 miles from 2 weeks ago are still in my legs, I would never have run that far if I'd just been on my own.

Blustery but lovely out- I think it's quite a sheltered route in many parts.

21/04/2013 at 07:29

Morning

Rest Day, but up at usual time walking dog. Wet and  cold out

All the best to those racing today.

21/04/2013 at 14:12

Hello all, think someone is trying to tell me not to try running.  I was training end of last year for 10k but injured my back (not running, moving furniture) and was told not to train.  Had a few other problems after that so not run for a while now.  GP says I am ok to start from scratch again.  Gutted I missed the races I had places for but hopefully I can get there this time....

Hope everyone is doing well with their runs and good luck to those running in London today

21/04/2013 at 14:43

Good running Mrs Mac and tricia.

Sorry to hear about your injury Samantha - good that you can run again now.

My time in the Angus half was about 1:53 - very pleased as pb by about 3 minutes. Very hilly, especially the last 5 miles.

21/04/2013 at 14:48

Well done Alison and thanks

21/04/2013 at 15:03

well done Alison!!! Great PB!! I was hoping to do a Half around this time and Angus was on my list as there weren't many others after I missed Alloa/Inverness. Then the injury happened as well and bf also away for the weekend so would have been difficult to get there and probably wouldn't have run well. Have been watching London so am off out for run now... not sure how it will go, hoping for pain free that will do.

To be honest am getting more pain now from ?referred pain in my forearm/wrist than anything.   Just hoping to stay fit enough CW... am not aiming for a PB on this one so not too concerned. 

Then will be building for the Half IM.

Welcome Back Samantha, hope you manage to get back to running!

21/04/2013 at 15:24

Hope you have pain free run Ultra tri chick.

Thanks, just digging out my training plan from last year.

21/04/2013 at 19:01

Hey.. well I managed 12 miles with virtually no pain!!! And not too bad a pace either! Happy days. Went out with the plan just to run and see how the shoulder held up and if it was sore I'd just stop. But in the end it wasn't so bad.

Kirsty finished just under 4 in London!!

CC, I think it is nerve related... I'm just hoping it settles soon... although it's been fine since I went running... I seem to be managing now with no painkillers (only the last couple of days have I taken none...) so definite progress!

Re the possible Ultra on the S Uplands... thoughts are at the moment.. (feel free to say if u think anything is rubbish/can be improved on)... or other ways to solve the problems caused by the distance... and hence the time it takes to run it!

4 day limit for the full distance, starting on the Thursday morning (say 10am) and finishing Sunday night at 10pm. (cut off-but those who wish to continue at their own risk after this can do). Everybody will have a GPS so we can keep track for safety. Maybe 1 support crew per person for those doing full distance? Anyone who wishes to pull out or continue after the cut off has to hand in their GPS. (Hiring these hopefully).

Camping spots (a select few, maybe 3) will be available but people dont have to stop.. we want it to be 1 race, not 4 individual races, but probably have to have a few set spots for those wishing to stop in case farmers etc get annoyed??

Limit of 50 entries for 1st time, 1st prize £500 2nd £200 3rd £100 (Male and Female). Not aiming for profit in 1st year. £100 entry.

For those doing the full event will need 1 support crew to minimalize marshalling requirements. There will likely be half and quarter distance options...

Dont know if all these things will work but hey ho its in the early planning stages.

Thinking next summer... and will make sure it doesn't clash with any other big Ultra...

What do you Ultra people think??

21/04/2013 at 19:04

Oh yeah... checkpoints every 10 miles. Water at each one with a few bits and pieces.. and every 2nd stop will have a bit more food etc...

Having never done this kind of thing, we're not sure about much so any advice is appreciated...

We also need help with a company name... (yes we are aiming at a wee possible venture here..., lots more in the pipeline if this pans out well!)..

21/04/2013 at 19:21

Great news on the pain-free run UTC The only thing that springs to mind is how difficult it would be to get a support crew for 4 days, otherwise, very exciting

Great mileage cragchick Shame about support for NDW100 though

Well done Alison, especially on that course

Hope you are able to start training again Samantha. Any time I've injured my sciatic nerve its been nothing to do with running. That's why I avoid dangerous stuff like housework

Group runs are great for getting the mileage in aren't they tricia? Well done

Wee 5 mile recovery run before watching VLM today.

21/04/2013 at 19:27

lol MrsMac I must try that avoiding technique lol

21/04/2013 at 19:32

Thanks everyone. Really pleased that your run was almost pain-free UTC. And well done Kirsty.

Mrs Mac - agree with you about housework - best avoided.

21/04/2013 at 19:56

yes not too sure about that either (the 4 day support thing)... but we have time.... kind of like the idea of the longest single Ultra race though... otherwise we'd shorten it..  Could it be done unsupported though? Feed stations and your own drop bags can also be left at them... and the camping... could it be done unsupported?

We do need to recce the route though to make sure it is all accessible. If not we will have to make it shorter but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Thinking bf and I will MTB the route to check. Last time, parts were flooded as it had been raining and the river was VERY high in other places too... so... plans afoot and we'll see how it goes. 

Haha MrsMac yes I try to avoid that technique too However I tend to injure myself with more sporting issues (ok usually involving bikes)...

21/04/2013 at 21:08

UTC - just a few thoughts off the top of my head -

4 days unsupported would be okay as long as the drop bag provision was good.

you might end up running a 'ferrying service' for carting peoples camping equipment from one overnight stop to the next. Also, if folks drop out and don't have support - you may need at least a van or car they can sit in, whilst transport off is arranged.

think about indoor CP's once you start getting into the 'big' mileage, and the parts folk would be running overnight. (Also the 'attrition' rate - even the elites will get slower as the course progresses - could CP's be closer together in the later stages etc?)

think about using CP's near roads, but also how much is really remote - could people be reached if they got into trouble?

think about alternative routes in case part of the course floods or you cannot get permission.

I personally wouldnt bother with prize money - you will get plenty of 'nutters' entering prizes or not

I think you need to charge more - given the amount of support you will be providing, and possible van hires etc. Have a look at how much Centurion charge for 100m races, and the kind of support they offer. Your initial business outlay could be quite high, in terms of hiring canopys, tables, vehicles, buying food etc.

Have a look at Centurion, also other long races like GUCR, Hardmoors 110 etc for CP's set ups and how they arrange transport etc.

you could cater for a certain number of unsupported and the rest supported, like they do on GUCR

Would you be able to return drop bags - or provide one central location (eg at 100m) where people could change shoes and clothes and know they would get dirty stuff back.

I think you should have quite strict entry criteria, or a list of qualifying races that people can check to see if they meet the criteria. The last thing you want is folk entering unprepared.

Good luck

Hello everyone else!

22/04/2013 at 06:37

morning..

was planning a run this morning but opting for turbo... feet aching a bit and got hill reps tonight so will go with that and run tomorrow morning.

Back to a full week at work 

Great to watch London yesterday. Not a marathon I ever want to run.. but always good to watch

Hope everyone is well..

22/04/2013 at 09:13

was a couple of minutes slower than you at the Angus half yesterday, finished in 1:54  something. the last mile is just ridiculous. one of these years i might manage to run up half of it

guy that finished near me was a first timer and was not impressed at all but even when you know that hill is coming its still a nightmare. hardest last mile of any race i've done.

sounds like an epic race you are planning there UTC!!

22/04/2013 at 11:52

Morning all. Anyone know the date/time of the Nairn half marathon in August? Planning to visit family in Nairn and thought I could hopefully do this at the same time.

Cheers

G

22/04/2013 at 14:15

Thanks.

22/04/2013 at 15:40

Afternoon all

Agree all these new long race/event ideas are really good  - certainly to have more long single event stuff in Scotland is a real bonus - some great stuff in England but just adds all to cost, travel hassles etc.

Really really windy here too Cragchick , holding onto my hat in some places! I would have been very grumpy about the NDW place too .

Good run today, finally shifted the last of the cold out of my lungs and running normally again.....just in time !

I too watched the London marathon yesterday (edited highlights in the evening) and thought 'great spectacle, but thats not for me!' How do people run with all those other people in the way? LOL, single track roads and no company but the sheep are more my kind of marathons .

UTC - another thing I thought today when I was out - hot food provision (this is where the indoor CP's would come in handy) or what pubs / villages are in the area where people could get food. I remember on my trip down to Glen Trool a few weeks ago there really wasnt that much tourist provision, you might have to think about how you would provide simple hot meals, pasta and sauce, soup etc. for the unsupported people. And cut-offs, you need to keep people moving forward, and be fairly generous with the times, but not have people too strung out along the course, as it will be really hard to marshall.

Well done Alison, Longbow and all racing, and some good long runs from everyone else.

22/04/2013 at 20:06

Good evening all,

Glad you are feeling better UTC and your race plans sound exciting!

I ran my 10k long run yesterday and as usual after I passed the 4k mark I felt much better. In the end it was a comfortable run. I was even high 5ed by a runner coming the other way!

Decided to apply for a place in the Great North Run as my first 1/2 marathon. I love watching it on the tv and I just want to see if I can do that distance! I have come to the conclusion that I cannot avoid speed work any longer. I am very slow (7.5 - 8 minute km) at present and I want to get quicker.

When I feel slow, fat and ungainly I just remind myself that in January I could barely run for 1 minute and now I can run for over an hour!

Well done to those who raced over the weekend. I have Balfron coming up on Sunday. Anybody else going to be there?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.