Scottish Runners

30,581 to 30,600 of 33,211 messages
10/03/2013 at 19:31

Wow! What a great day 

FFB, was great to finally put a face to a name. You did a fantastic job today and definately agree, this should be an annual jaunt Thank you so much for the very kind gift of a bottle of bubbly to celebrate my 70th marathon/Ultra. I won't forget this one in a hurry 

Was nice to meet you Alison, small world eh? Sorry I didn't meet the rest of you guys. Had to head home sharpish as hubby pranged his car on his way to work and needed picked up - thankfully he's ok. The same can't be said for the car or the electricity box he hit and the consequent lack of street lights as a result

Safe trip home Els & OH

RIGHT! I've got bubbly to drink....

10/03/2013 at 19:31

Well done to everyone who organised and helped out at Loch Katrine today. It was a great wee event. I really hope it becomes a permanent fixture on the race calender.

I was really happy with my 1:53:36 for the half today. Ten minutes slower than my PB, but on a much harder course and I'm still nothing near 100% after picking up a groin strain late last year which has been painfully slow to clear up. The hills up to the half turning point really hurt, but I actually finished off feeling pretty strong despite the headwind.

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 19:32
10/03/2013 at 20:08

Sounds as though Loch Katrine was fab!  Well done FFB.

10/03/2013 at 23:23

See what you mean about the tiny font TP. Good thing my 'monitor' is a large TV after the laptop screen failed.

Well done to everyone surviving LK. Hope you all got home safe. I had a less than enjoyable last 30 miles driving over the moor to Nairn this evening.

Grand days running yesterday. I was first man home in the Strathclyde parkrun (their field was small in the cold and with competition from other races and Adidas promotions at Glasgow and Edinburgh) but well beaten by Jo Zakrzewski, with another Dumfries lady just behind me. Last time she beat me was by 2 hours and maybe 1000 places in Comrades Marathon so I guess that was an improvement . Then I did Milngavie to Balmaha on the WHW, meeting my wife for a nice pint in front of the fire in the Oak Tree Inn. Only pity was missing out Conic Hill ("Conic Hill is closed" said a slightly surreal sign) because of logging and path repair.

-8C here tonight. Decided I deserved an impromtu rest day.

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 23:24
11/03/2013 at 02:48

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was really pleased with how things went. A few moans. I accidentally started the marathon 2.30 mins early so caught a few people on the hop. I can only apologise, but in my defense everyone was instructed to, and called to, muster 10 mins before, and really, you should be in the muster area that close to the start. Anyway a lesson learned for me.

One marathon runner complained there was no 26 mile marker I did not have enough card to do a 26 and I have been at events with no 26, but taken on board. With hindsight I would also do turn signs, someone failed to turn at the half in spite of toerhs tunring and a marshall screaming at him.

Some fast times. I will get results out maybe Monday but probably Tuesday. Marathon winner was 2.57, Half was 1.20 something and 10k was just over 30 mins.

Its been an experience. Next year? Well, now that I have got the hang of this race director mallarky .....

11/03/2013 at 05:57

Morning from a  snowy Erskine

4M Steady and not a bad run.

Lots to catch up on.

Edited: 11/03/2013 at 05:58
11/03/2013 at 07:05

morning BM and all

well done again FFB!! And you cant please everyone I suppose!! (Why would you be in your car 5 mins before a race anyway)

Turbo this morning and reps with club tonight.... 

Hopefully you do decide on a repeat FFB, think people seem up for it!!

11/03/2013 at 08:47

FFB - I can only imagine the half marathon turn issue was someone wearing headphones, so they didn't hear the marshall. I did have to do a short sprint to tap one young lady on the shoulder who was oblivious to a car coming along the road behind us despite numerous shouts of "CAR".

11/03/2013 at 09:15

it was a great day FFB. the half marathon course was great including the pain between miles 5 and 8. heard the marshall at the turning point talking about someone that ran on but did they not see everyone else turning round?

did think about coming to say hello to you ffb but you looked so busy so i just said a brief hello to Tri instead.

really please with my time which i think was around the 1:52 mark according to my garmin so well pleased with that given the hills at the turn.

definitely up for next year!!

11/03/2013 at 13:21
FFB for that individual there's maybe a case for a
STOP FOREST STOP sign (as in Gump)
It was amazingly organised (especially for a virgin RO)
11/03/2013 at 14:01

Don't really know how zoned out you'd have to have been to miss the turnaround point but I suppose anything's possible when you're focused on your running. Hope they didn't go too far. 

Given that there were mile markers all the way, people running back towards us in the opposite direction, a guy in the middle of the road shouting "turn" at everyone, and various other clues, I don't think the fault lay with the organisation here!

11/03/2013 at 16:25

There was a woman in front of me with head phones on and the marshall was saying 'turn at the bag' but she didnt acknowledge him, so he walked right up toward her and said 'CAN YOU HEAR ME? TURN AT THE BAG!!!!!' and she was like  nearly jumped out her skin. That explains why he was making doubly sure, if someone else earlier had already over-shot .

Missing the start by being stuck in traffic or something is one thing, but being there on time and then just sitting in the car until a minute before is ridiculous!!!

Well done on the 70th MrsMac - Wow!!!

11/03/2013 at 19:00

Hi FFB, just wanted to say thanks for organising such a great event at the loch katrine 10 km yesterday. my brother and i ran together and had a great time. it was my first ever 10k and i loved the chilled out atmosphere and encouragement. will definately be back next year, cheers, graeme cook

11/03/2013 at 19:06

Jeezo, some people will complain about anything! No 26 mile marker??!! You could see the bl**dy pier from there 

I was nearly late for the start...sauntering up to the line I casually looked at my wrist to check my Garmin had aquired a signal and it wasn't there! I'd left it on the car roof Quick 'sprint' back and I still made it

My legs are mashed now, desperately trying to convince myself that a coule of miles on the tready would do me the world of good.

11/03/2013 at 20:21

It was my husband who missed the turn in the half - what a wally! And yes, he was wearing headphones.

Mrs Mac - amybe a day or two rest would do you good too!

11/03/2013 at 21:37

LOL on 'outing' your husband Alison!

Chilly running today but great views of the Moray Firth and Sutherland Hills. The winter gear was out in force for the first time in a while.

11/03/2013 at 21:39

Oops Alison! Naughty hubby

Did 3 miles....it wasn't pretty

11/03/2013 at 22:00

Hi - just back home from Loch Katrine.

Great event put on by FFB. Do hope it will happen again and I can run next time!

Kept myself busy marshalling while everyone ran with 3 of FFB's neighbours , who were great, not sure that I've totally persuaded them to run a marathon yet though! Good to meet up with some old friends there and meet Alison.

Well done to Mrs Mac on her 70th and to everyone else who ran.

12/03/2013 at 06:50

Morning all

Glad everyone seems to have had a great weekend at LK! Oh and congrats to MrsMac 70 marathons/ultras is an amazing achievement!!!

Reps with club last night were tough but got there!

Velodrome tonight, short run in there somewhere too!! 

12/03/2013 at 11:36

Sounds like a fantastic race put on at the weekend FFB ... next years calender for me perhaps.  And some great racing too Mrs Mac and 57.5 esp - albeit in different races!  Wow to 70 maras and ultras, that is absolutely an amazing achievement.

A snowy long run for me yesterday of 14 miles - was glorious when out of the wind.  Grey and murky today though and snow is mainly gone.  First 10 felt great, last four hard graft - another disgusting cold virus - bah I swear my husband picks them all up on his flights South and back again!!!

Just off for 5 easy on the dreadmill - new trainers to try out £30 Inov8 road ones, not had before but at that price gotta be worth a try

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.