Scottish Runners

30,581 to 30,600 of 33,536 messages
22/04/2013 at 20:40

Lee-Anne - well done on your training run. The first 4k is harder cos thats your 'warm up' period, so don't worry if it feels slow or hard, that is normal. You will see lots of people running about warming up and doing some basic stretches before the start of your race on Sunday - so their lungs and muscles are ready for the full effort straight off from the gun.

Great North Run might be hard / expensive to get into, it is one of those races that is very over-subscribed because its on the tele . Alternatively Glasgow Half is a lot cheaper, very beginner friendly, and a good course for a first attempt (and a lot less crowded than GNR, although still crowded at the start!) - usually first week of September so you would have the whole summer to build up gradually.

22/04/2013 at 20:43

good stuff Lee-Anne and great progress.

the great north run is a great half marathon to do as a starter. loads of support all the way around. i seem to have got into the habit of doing it every 5 years (2000, 2005, 2010) so a couple of more years to go! have some lovely holiday cottages that we go to so its a good excuse for a holiday.

22/04/2013 at 20:52

Longbow - agree with you about the last mile - it's brutal.

Well done Lee-Anne, and good luck at Balfron - I've heard that it's a great race; may have done it this year, but I'm on-call this weekend.

Never done the GNR, but did Glasgow half in 2011 - good course, and good support.

22/04/2013 at 20:52

Thank you both. I will look at the Glasgow half too. I suspect it may be the race that clashes with my sister's wedding...

23/04/2013 at 06:48

Morning

lee anne: Great progress, well done.

Tri: Glad your managing to run injury free.

23/04/2013 at 14:41

Race numbers are now up on the Fling website. Get labelling those drop bags .

Looks like snow forecast for Fri and Sat ....when I said we would probably get snow for the Fling....I was kinda joking !

6.8m done today, a few sprints thrown in between 3 and 5, mainly because some guy kept over-taking me then slowing down . Still quite windy here, hoping it will calm down by saturday.

23/04/2013 at 19:53

TP, I haven't looked at any forecasts yet. Please tell me you're joking Glad you've shifted the lurgy

Really windy here too and I HATE the wind Still had an enjoyable run around the cliffs, having to stop and wait whilst hubby put out a grass fire

23/04/2013 at 20:24

The forecast for the Fling looks colder by the day with a nice northerly breeze. Not too much rain though. Better start packing. For anyone else running, you'll recognise me by the hacking cough!

I do like the odd big city marathon to leaven a standard diet of small town races. Though it is a huge advantage being well up the field for limiting the crowds on the course and making it easy at the end for bag pickup etc. I don like to pick cities where I have friends to stay with though for a few 'home comforts'.

I think Lee-anne wins the forum 'most improved runner' for the year so far!

23/04/2013 at 21:20

Why thank you very much 57.5 DoP!

My run tonight was a disaster. I got lost, then I got cramp *sighs*. Still I made it home in one piece.

I am excited about running on Sunday. 10K felt like such a huge challenge when I signed up in February but now I know I can run the distance. The rest is down to the course and the fates.

Good luck for the fling everybody!

24/04/2013 at 06:44

All the best for The Fling .

Lots to catch upon.

25/04/2013 at 08:22

Morning

Quiet yesterday on here.

Did my hill session today and legs tired now.

25/04/2013 at 09:31

Morning all. Been a bit absent. Not a good week really, and just as well I am on taper. I have done nothing!! Well some light weights on Tuesday and stretching. Diet has been bad cos I have been running about.

Got sad news on Monday: a friend's 2 year old daughter died on Sunday. She had life limiting epilepsy. So, so sad.

On Tuesday I learned that another friend's son has had a mental breakdown and has been committed. He is the same age as my eldest baby FFB, they have been friends since they were 5. Baby FFB is so upset, breaking her heart. Just awful.

I had to go to Aberdeen for an interview for a contract yesterday. I don't really want to work in Aberdeen, but the market is awful and I have been off for 4 weeks now. So, I think I have to take it.

I now need to run around getting my drop bags and kit sorted for Saturday. I looked at the split times I need to make and am now seriously bricking it  At least I have plenty of winter kit  I have also done a late payment for vehicle support, just to give myself some options but also to have access to extra kit and shoes. The plan is that they will only pitch up at Balmaha and Beinglas and then an unofficial check point up the path at Crainlarich.

Right need to read back and see what everyone has been up to.

25/04/2013 at 09:37

Morning ffb: really sorry to hear that news

25/04/2013 at 09:38

Some good running and training out there folks.

Wow UTC massive, epic race planning. Sounds really interesting. You do a couple of practice events doing shorter sections of it???

Right, I need to go to the supermarket for provisions.

25/04/2013 at 11:18

Anyone here run the Balloch to Clydebank half ? missed it this year but was thinking of doing it next

25/04/2013 at 13:00

Afternoon all

MrsMac - looks like lots of snow forecast for Tyndrum area Thurs/Fri, but the southern part of the trail should be okay. Good forecast for Saturday, dry about 6-8deg for Rowardennan mid-day, but very cold first thing and last, currently saying 0 to minus1 for Tyndrum at 7pm !!! Errrrrm, not the 30deg heatwave of a few years ago to fry us all this time then .

Two pairs of gloves for me then !

FFB - you will definitely be well prepared with all your antarctic kit . Good idea re. the extra Crianlarich point, that section is quite long.

Got some tablet today YUM .

25/04/2013 at 19:47

FFB, that is awful news 

Sorry not to be seeing you there cragchick. Sounds like you're running well

Thanks for the update TP. Currently having a nightmare deciding what to take as I'm leaving straight from work tomorrow. Dropping the car in Tyndrum and bussing to Dumbarton then overnight at sis-in-laws.

Good luck everyone for The Fling and any other races. See you guys there

25/04/2013 at 20:16

Best of luck to all the Flingers and like Cragchick very sorry not going to be there

Hope the weather is better than expected.

FFB - sorry to hear that.

Leg still bearing up and managing some short runs. Hope it holds out until Cape Wrath anyhow though will only be doing shorter things and slowly at that. Still rubbish weather here, windy and wet but improving a bit. Hoping for anice run at the weekend - well I can hope. And to keep in the spirit of the Fling it will be off road - though prob coastal.

Off to Glasgow next week with work, was hoping to see a bit of son who lives there but he is being sent to Kirkwall for the week with work. Bother!.

25/04/2013 at 20:25

Oh FFB - so sorry.

Glad you are feeling better Elspeth.

I have had a rough couple of days at work so my head is all over the place.

Good news is that I got a place in the GNR!

25/04/2013 at 22:29

Really sorry about your bad news ffb.

Good luck to flingers, and anyone else racing at the weekend. I'm on-call, but hope to manage a run on Sunday. Did my first run since the Angus half this evening - just a short, easy one. Lovely weather; first time I've worn my summer running gear this year.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.