Scottish Runners

30,581 to 30,600 of 33,660 messages
11/03/2013 at 14:01

Don't really know how zoned out you'd have to have been to miss the turnaround point but I suppose anything's possible when you're focused on your running. Hope they didn't go too far. 

Given that there were mile markers all the way, people running back towards us in the opposite direction, a guy in the middle of the road shouting "turn" at everyone, and various other clues, I don't think the fault lay with the organisation here!

11/03/2013 at 16:25

There was a woman in front of me with head phones on and the marshall was saying 'turn at the bag' but she didnt acknowledge him, so he walked right up toward her and said 'CAN YOU HEAR ME? TURN AT THE BAG!!!!!' and she was like  nearly jumped out her skin. That explains why he was making doubly sure, if someone else earlier had already over-shot .

Missing the start by being stuck in traffic or something is one thing, but being there on time and then just sitting in the car until a minute before is ridiculous!!!

Well done on the 70th MrsMac - Wow!!!

11/03/2013 at 19:00

Hi FFB, just wanted to say thanks for organising such a great event at the loch katrine 10 km yesterday. my brother and i ran together and had a great time. it was my first ever 10k and i loved the chilled out atmosphere and encouragement. will definately be back next year, cheers, graeme cook

11/03/2013 at 19:06

Jeezo, some people will complain about anything! No 26 mile marker??!! You could see the bl**dy pier from there 

I was nearly late for the start...sauntering up to the line I casually looked at my wrist to check my Garmin had aquired a signal and it wasn't there! I'd left it on the car roof Quick 'sprint' back and I still made it

My legs are mashed now, desperately trying to convince myself that a coule of miles on the tready would do me the world of good.

11/03/2013 at 20:21

It was my husband who missed the turn in the half - what a wally! And yes, he was wearing headphones.

Mrs Mac - amybe a day or two rest would do you good too!

11/03/2013 at 21:37

LOL on 'outing' your husband Alison!

Chilly running today but great views of the Moray Firth and Sutherland Hills. The winter gear was out in force for the first time in a while.

11/03/2013 at 21:39

Oops Alison! Naughty hubby

Did 3 miles....it wasn't pretty

11/03/2013 at 22:00

Hi - just back home from Loch Katrine.

Great event put on by FFB. Do hope it will happen again and I can run next time!

Kept myself busy marshalling while everyone ran with 3 of FFB's neighbours , who were great, not sure that I've totally persuaded them to run a marathon yet though! Good to meet up with some old friends there and meet Alison.

Well done to Mrs Mac on her 70th and to everyone else who ran.

12/03/2013 at 06:50

Morning all

Glad everyone seems to have had a great weekend at LK! Oh and congrats to MrsMac 70 marathons/ultras is an amazing achievement!!!

Reps with club last night were tough but got there!

Velodrome tonight, short run in there somewhere too!! 

12/03/2013 at 11:36

Sounds like a fantastic race put on at the weekend FFB ... next years calender for me perhaps.  And some great racing too Mrs Mac and 57.5 esp - albeit in different races!  Wow to 70 maras and ultras, that is absolutely an amazing achievement.

A snowy long run for me yesterday of 14 miles - was glorious when out of the wind.  Grey and murky today though and snow is mainly gone.  First 10 felt great, last four hard graft - another disgusting cold virus - bah I swear my husband picks them all up on his flights South and back again!!!

Just off for 5 easy on the dreadmill - new trainers to try out £30 Inov8 road ones, not had before but at that price gotta be worth a try

12/03/2013 at 14:06

OOh I've been looking at those Inov8 road shoes too CC - do let us know if they are any good .

Nice 7.2m today, was still icy in my street first thing, but no snow / ice at all once I got round the corner (I swear we've got our own micro-climate down in this dip) . Not a speck of ice on the footpaths in Pollok Park, so had a decent run out, then a good stretch at home. Couldnt stretch at all after LK cos it was so cold, totally seized up.

Yes, well done at your race 57.5 - forgot to say that yesterday. And Cronic Hill closed? B*gger - that probably means the path will be all churned up again by the time of the Fling . Last year it had hideous stony chippings on the forestry path, and really bad erosion on the hill itself.

Hope the marathoners are all recovering well.

Lol Alison - poor hubby, you should have marshalled the half turn instead, then you could have shouted at him .

12/03/2013 at 16:38

Hi all Loch Katrine results

12/03/2013 at 17:05

LOL Alison. I should perhaps have had a sign up, but I used all my correx to do the mile markers, and I had hoped that having a marshal there it would have been ok. To be fair to your hubbyhe may have been looking for someone standing in the middle of the road, and my marshall had put his bag on the turn spot and was standing a bit down from it.

12/03/2013 at 17:46

Excellent pictures and event report FFB

12/03/2013 at 19:09

Elspeth, you maybe need to tips on the art of persuasion

Wow, speedy results FFB Website looks great btw.

14 miles in the snow sounds fab cragchick

TP, they've 'improved' the path down Conic hill I've only seen pics on Facebook but it looks like a huge staircase/slide It will be very interesting in the wet!

Definately felt the better of my wee 3 mile recovery run last night. Legs feel fine today

12/03/2013 at 23:05

The sign implied that Conic Hill will still be closed come the Fling. We shall see!

cragchick - boo to your husband importing foreign bugs up this way .

13/03/2013 at 00:51

glad to hear LK went well. I had signed up for the marathon and was going to take it very slowly as a Fling training run. however Missus w and I woke up with sore throats and all blocked up on saturday morning. went over to Callander direction and visited Doune Castle on Saturday and stayed with family just outside Doune. got up at 6 on the sunday but the sore throat was still there and a little wheezy, so reluctantly decided to to give it a miss. we were on a hill overlooking LK and it was sunshine/blizzard/sunshine/blizzard so despite being in a bad mood for a few hours about bailing out I think I made the right decision. running a marathon in the freezing cold with a sore throat etc would probably have put me on my arse for a week. didn't stop family giving me pelters right enough! however I've recovered already and will run tomorrow. DNS is definitely better than DNF! went for a short walk up the Callander Crags at 10am to clear the tubes and was wheezing all over the place so 26 miles would have been hell.

sounds like it went well by all the comments on here. well done FFB. hope you raised a fortune. Alzeimers Scotland is a great charity and was a factor in me choosing this event, so not bothered about 'losing' my entry fee! if you know what I mean. good luck in your Antarctic endeavours. well done to all those who braved the elements too.

Edited: 13/03/2013 at 00:58
13/03/2013 at 06:29

morning

great session at the velodrome last night, confidence is finally there 

turbo this morning and run tonight. 

Hope you're feeling better soon Ewan.

13/03/2013 at 07:53

Morning all. The LK event raised £3,165 (after costs) for Alzheimer . I managed to keep the event costs down to just a tad over £600 . Biggest costs were the medals and bibs and the event insurance. The insurance was actually really good value beacuse insururers made a big discount because it was a charity event and on private road. I made the mile/km markers myself (with some help from baby FFB)at the grand cost of £45 . To buy mile markers from event suppliers would have cost several hundred pounds

Anyway, I need to get my head round D33 which I am running on Saturday. Had not thought about it at all until the other day, Massively under trained, not even thought about kit or food..... better get organised ASAP

13/03/2013 at 08:36

Given my longest run to date is 14 miles (on Monday), Dee 33 is definitely a BAD idea so I won't be there , still some residual germs from latest Southern infiltration!!

Awesome fundraising then FFB

Ewan - running marathons with viruses rarely works out well - have tried it and been bitterly disappointed with results!!

Agree - that track in the forest before Conic last year was HORRIBLE with those massive stone chips - reminded me of a particularly unpleasant stretch of the Dava Way, so I hope it's all sorted in time for you all ... not long now ...

I have a morning of leisure, so am off a game of badminton (first one since I was about 19 I think - ahem!!).  So that will be entertaining me thinks. Then some hill reps to be done before the whole afterschool rigmarole begins ... aka mums taxi service.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.