Scottish Runners

30,601 to 30,620 of 33,656 messages
13/03/2013 at 08:47

Ewan - shame the bug got in the way of a lovely marathon (so I'm told!).

FFB - don't worry about D33, you don't need to carry much, can leave a drop bag at half way and there was a LOT of food at the half way point - sandwiches, cake, flapjack etc so you really just need to carry some water and a waterproof.

Well done on raising such a lot with the race and keeping the costs down.

Quite a layer of snow here today.

13/03/2013 at 08:48

Cragchick, my longest runs have been a 16 and a 20 (both at LK). I did consider dropping out of D33, but I need to do it as training to get mileage up for the Fling

I am planning to run walk it with 12 mins running and 3 mins walking, dropping to 11/4 and maybe 10/5 depending on how tired I get. I am aslo planning on being last

The plan is that if I can get myself ready for and through the fling, then i have a fighting chance of being able to complete 88 miles in the frozen wastes of Antarctica LOL

13/03/2013 at 13:28

That sounds like a fine plan FFB and I am sure you will be fine. Whilst my ankle is definitely getting happier, I think seriously long runs at the moment would probably finish it off so I am happy with my decisions to pull out of Dee 33 and Fling.

But looking forward to the Lairig Ghru race ... possibly a mountain marathon and longer challenges in the autumn

Fantastic run with a friend this morning, running high above the river Findhorn - it goes through quite a long gorge at some points - hilly, muddy and sunshine and blue skies, 6 miles all told but some nasty hills.

13/03/2013 at 16:24

Ewan - sounds like you made the right decision on the marathon, although it always feels annoying at the time.

Nice run Cragchick!

Interesting to see what happens if Conic hill is still shut come Fling time - we would have to run the lower level route around the road - you won't see me complaining about that , although it could cause road chaos. It would knock a good chunk of time off the finish times though I reckon.

FFB - good going on the fundraising. If your usual work ever dried up you could always set up an events company ...bet you could do a lot better than some of the showers out there .

Urgh, I have to go through to Edinburgh tomorrow for a work meeting - boo to that, although it will generate more work in the long run - better prepare my notes so that I actually have something to say!!

D33 - its flat so everyone hares off at the start like its a Half mara - let them, and then enjoy some of the reeling in process between 28-33 .

14/03/2013 at 07:36

Sorry to hear that anyone moaned about anything at the weekend- I didn't realise that the marathon started ealry, but I am grateful that it did, as it was too cold to hang arouns at the start.

Haven't run yet, but did get to gym to stretch/ cross train/ swim yesteray, and really not feeling at all bad today- may gently run at weekend.

14/03/2013 at 07:45

Tricialitt, it human nature, and I expected to have some complaints so only having 2 moans is pretty good going. Loads of very postive feedback and loads of requests to do it again next year.

Looking forward to D33 in a strange way even though I am not particularly well preared or trained. Fairly confident that my run walk plan will get me round.

14/03/2013 at 18:03

evening

sounds like the marathoners are recovering well FFB, am sure you'll manage D33 no bother. 
Tricia, glad you are feeling good!! Hope it continues....

lovely run this morning before work... was planning a shortie 5 or 6k but conditions were lovely and cool and it was just getting light so ended up doing a fair bit more... probably about 12k or so.... resulting in me madly washing my hair at 8am when I need to leave at 8:20 Lovely run around west end though... very calm and quiet!! Swim tonight. Running fitness definitely making a return, not quite there yet but progress being made definitely!! 

Long run planned this weekend along WHW while bf goes up some hills and we'll meet at the car afterwards

14/03/2013 at 20:34

Evening all

Late post from me, as not long back from Edinburgh and had to cram dinner down me neck ! Meeting over-ran by about an hour so was late getting train but probably missed worst of rush-hour......however, all I can say is 'Commuting'...feck that everyday!!!

Had a bizarre clash of cultures today, very succesful meeting, but about half and half self-employed consultants like moi or other commercial operators, and the rest University types. The self employed all going, give us deadlines, lets do this now, lets publish, this is great stuff, hurrah !!! And the Uni types giving it, oh well, we've only had this material for the last four years (!!!) and we could start this in a couple of months, but we need so and so from this other Uni and they might take a few more months!!! Arrrrrgh! Just fecking DO IT ! So glad I dont work at a Uni anymore .

UTC - enjoy the WHW - I believe there might be snow forecast !

14/03/2013 at 20:39

Good running UTC.

Nice run for me this evening. Quite hilly.

Good luck at the weekend FFB, and to anyone else doing the D33.

14/03/2013 at 20:42

5 mile recovery run tonight. Think I might wait a week before the next one
Kudos to all those doing D33 this weekend

14/03/2013 at 21:54

Love the trails on the Findhorn cragchick, which stretch were you running?

Great result ffb!

14/03/2013 at 22:02

Parked at the sawmill in Conicavel? does that make sense?  Was a friend who showed it to me. We running along so eventually we had Logie House opposite us on the other bank. Am definitely getting back to explore more of that area in the coming weeks as was fantastic.  And, of course, not a soul around

Latest cold broke today so feel better despite the snot levels!!  9.5 miles around Culbin, started in sleet and ended in spring sunshine and legs not feeling too bad either.

Oh TP, have never been to or worked with university souls, but can well imagine it all!!!

14/03/2013 at 22:39

Good news on the cold front Cragchick. I have been surrounded by folk coughing and sneezing on the buses and trains today, which does not do very much for the paranoia levels when you are tapering !

I have been researching into flax (linseed) plants for this work I was doing today, and interestingly found out that if you eat too much flax seed it can cause severe bowel constrictions, and in excessive amounts is poisonous! The fibres themselves can stagnate water-courses and ruin drinking water, which is why folk in the past were always very careful about where they processed flax for linen production. 

I was LOL and shaking my head cos I remembered the Lakeland 50 food list last year where they were plying every single hot meal with flax seed 'cos it is good for your energy levels' ! Yeah, it can be good for you, but only in small amounts, and *probably* not a good idea whilst you are running, for various reasons !!

15/03/2013 at 06:52

Morning

Shorter run this morning and climbing tonight. Back to driech outside it would appear

Ah well at least its Friday!!!

Lol TP on the flax seed, I used to put a small amount in my breakfast cereal but knew it wasn't good to overdo it

15/03/2013 at 08:15

Morning all, finally caught up with myself. most of my kit laid out, shoes out, food in bag. Just need to get car cleaned & valeted (it is truly disgusting at the moment) and then head of for Aberdeen about lunchtime.

Stopping in Montrose to go to  a tackle and gun shop to buy a very big gun ..... oops sorry no, to try and maybe buy a pair of snow boots that will handle -40C . Long story but there is a company called Seeland that making hunting, shooting, fishing kit and it just so happens they do a snow boot to the right specification that is half the price of the one recommended in the kit list (and looks just the same too

15/03/2013 at 10:59

Good luck at the D33 FFB, and anyone else going.

LOL at the big gun...yeah, I coulda done with one of those yesterday .

15/03/2013 at 11:41

Yes good luck at D33 FFB, you deserve a good run after all your hard work last week.

Quite windy here, been out on the bike but a run would have been so much nicer!

15/03/2013 at 14:04

Just seen the weekend weather forecast ....errrrm, you might be needing those snow shoes sooner than you think FFB !

15/03/2013 at 17:38

Good luck FFB *waves from Arbroath as you pass by on the way to Montrose*

Hope you enjoyed the WHW UTC? What part were you on?

Well done for getting out on the bike Elspeth, especially if it was windy

Yay to the cold clearing cragchick

Taper madness setting in yet TP?!

Had a last minute day off today so me and hubby hit the Cateran Trail for 23 miles. Legs are now trashed (again)

15/03/2013 at 18:52

Lol MrsMac - not quite taper madness  But then I could be feeling too relaxed about it?  Certainly doing the route last year has given me points I know I can aim for.

I managed to *aquire* ahem.... a bottle of Dark Island Reserve yesterday....so that is going down rather nicely . Better not have too much of it though, this is strong stuff ! I will have this one glass and then save the rest for after the 100.  

Good running on the Cateran MrsMac, I would like to do that race one year.

Elspeth or OH should know what I am talking about with the Reserve .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.