Scottish Runners

30,601 to 30,620 of 33,585 messages
12/03/2013 at 14:06

OOh I've been looking at those Inov8 road shoes too CC - do let us know if they are any good .

Nice 7.2m today, was still icy in my street first thing, but no snow / ice at all once I got round the corner (I swear we've got our own micro-climate down in this dip) . Not a speck of ice on the footpaths in Pollok Park, so had a decent run out, then a good stretch at home. Couldnt stretch at all after LK cos it was so cold, totally seized up.

Yes, well done at your race 57.5 - forgot to say that yesterday. And Cronic Hill closed? B*gger - that probably means the path will be all churned up again by the time of the Fling . Last year it had hideous stony chippings on the forestry path, and really bad erosion on the hill itself.

Hope the marathoners are all recovering well.

Lol Alison - poor hubby, you should have marshalled the half turn instead, then you could have shouted at him .

12/03/2013 at 16:38

Hi all Loch Katrine results

12/03/2013 at 17:05

LOL Alison. I should perhaps have had a sign up, but I used all my correx to do the mile markers, and I had hoped that having a marshal there it would have been ok. To be fair to your hubbyhe may have been looking for someone standing in the middle of the road, and my marshall had put his bag on the turn spot and was standing a bit down from it.

12/03/2013 at 17:46

Excellent pictures and event report FFB

12/03/2013 at 19:09

Elspeth, you maybe need to tips on the art of persuasion

Wow, speedy results FFB Website looks great btw.

14 miles in the snow sounds fab cragchick

TP, they've 'improved' the path down Conic hill I've only seen pics on Facebook but it looks like a huge staircase/slide It will be very interesting in the wet!

Definately felt the better of my wee 3 mile recovery run last night. Legs feel fine today

12/03/2013 at 23:05

The sign implied that Conic Hill will still be closed come the Fling. We shall see!

cragchick - boo to your husband importing foreign bugs up this way .

13/03/2013 at 00:51

glad to hear LK went well. I had signed up for the marathon and was going to take it very slowly as a Fling training run. however Missus w and I woke up with sore throats and all blocked up on saturday morning. went over to Callander direction and visited Doune Castle on Saturday and stayed with family just outside Doune. got up at 6 on the sunday but the sore throat was still there and a little wheezy, so reluctantly decided to to give it a miss. we were on a hill overlooking LK and it was sunshine/blizzard/sunshine/blizzard so despite being in a bad mood for a few hours about bailing out I think I made the right decision. running a marathon in the freezing cold with a sore throat etc would probably have put me on my arse for a week. didn't stop family giving me pelters right enough! however I've recovered already and will run tomorrow. DNS is definitely better than DNF! went for a short walk up the Callander Crags at 10am to clear the tubes and was wheezing all over the place so 26 miles would have been hell.

sounds like it went well by all the comments on here. well done FFB. hope you raised a fortune. Alzeimers Scotland is a great charity and was a factor in me choosing this event, so not bothered about 'losing' my entry fee! if you know what I mean. good luck in your Antarctic endeavours. well done to all those who braved the elements too.

Edited: 13/03/2013 at 00:58
13/03/2013 at 06:29

morning

great session at the velodrome last night, confidence is finally there 

turbo this morning and run tonight. 

Hope you're feeling better soon Ewan.

13/03/2013 at 07:53

Morning all. The LK event raised £3,165 (after costs) for Alzheimer . I managed to keep the event costs down to just a tad over £600 . Biggest costs were the medals and bibs and the event insurance. The insurance was actually really good value beacuse insururers made a big discount because it was a charity event and on private road. I made the mile/km markers myself (with some help from baby FFB)at the grand cost of £45 . To buy mile markers from event suppliers would have cost several hundred pounds

Anyway, I need to get my head round D33 which I am running on Saturday. Had not thought about it at all until the other day, Massively under trained, not even thought about kit or food..... better get organised ASAP

13/03/2013 at 08:36

Given my longest run to date is 14 miles (on Monday), Dee 33 is definitely a BAD idea so I won't be there , still some residual germs from latest Southern infiltration!!

Awesome fundraising then FFB

Ewan - running marathons with viruses rarely works out well - have tried it and been bitterly disappointed with results!!

Agree - that track in the forest before Conic last year was HORRIBLE with those massive stone chips - reminded me of a particularly unpleasant stretch of the Dava Way, so I hope it's all sorted in time for you all ... not long now ...

I have a morning of leisure, so am off a game of badminton (first one since I was about 19 I think - ahem!!).  So that will be entertaining me thinks. Then some hill reps to be done before the whole afterschool rigmarole begins ... aka mums taxi service.

13/03/2013 at 08:47

Ewan - shame the bug got in the way of a lovely marathon (so I'm told!).

FFB - don't worry about D33, you don't need to carry much, can leave a drop bag at half way and there was a LOT of food at the half way point - sandwiches, cake, flapjack etc so you really just need to carry some water and a waterproof.

Well done on raising such a lot with the race and keeping the costs down.

Quite a layer of snow here today.

13/03/2013 at 08:48

Cragchick, my longest runs have been a 16 and a 20 (both at LK). I did consider dropping out of D33, but I need to do it as training to get mileage up for the Fling

I am planning to run walk it with 12 mins running and 3 mins walking, dropping to 11/4 and maybe 10/5 depending on how tired I get. I am aslo planning on being last

The plan is that if I can get myself ready for and through the fling, then i have a fighting chance of being able to complete 88 miles in the frozen wastes of Antarctica LOL

13/03/2013 at 13:28

That sounds like a fine plan FFB and I am sure you will be fine. Whilst my ankle is definitely getting happier, I think seriously long runs at the moment would probably finish it off so I am happy with my decisions to pull out of Dee 33 and Fling.

But looking forward to the Lairig Ghru race ... possibly a mountain marathon and longer challenges in the autumn

Fantastic run with a friend this morning, running high above the river Findhorn - it goes through quite a long gorge at some points - hilly, muddy and sunshine and blue skies, 6 miles all told but some nasty hills.

13/03/2013 at 16:24

Ewan - sounds like you made the right decision on the marathon, although it always feels annoying at the time.

Nice run Cragchick!

Interesting to see what happens if Conic hill is still shut come Fling time - we would have to run the lower level route around the road - you won't see me complaining about that , although it could cause road chaos. It would knock a good chunk of time off the finish times though I reckon.

FFB - good going on the fundraising. If your usual work ever dried up you could always set up an events company ...bet you could do a lot better than some of the showers out there .

Urgh, I have to go through to Edinburgh tomorrow for a work meeting - boo to that, although it will generate more work in the long run - better prepare my notes so that I actually have something to say!!

D33 - its flat so everyone hares off at the start like its a Half mara - let them, and then enjoy some of the reeling in process between 28-33 .

14/03/2013 at 07:36

Sorry to hear that anyone moaned about anything at the weekend- I didn't realise that the marathon started ealry, but I am grateful that it did, as it was too cold to hang arouns at the start.

Haven't run yet, but did get to gym to stretch/ cross train/ swim yesteray, and really not feeling at all bad today- may gently run at weekend.

14/03/2013 at 07:45

Tricialitt, it human nature, and I expected to have some complaints so only having 2 moans is pretty good going. Loads of very postive feedback and loads of requests to do it again next year.

Looking forward to D33 in a strange way even though I am not particularly well preared or trained. Fairly confident that my run walk plan will get me round.

14/03/2013 at 18:03

evening

sounds like the marathoners are recovering well FFB, am sure you'll manage D33 no bother. 
Tricia, glad you are feeling good!! Hope it continues....

lovely run this morning before work... was planning a shortie 5 or 6k but conditions were lovely and cool and it was just getting light so ended up doing a fair bit more... probably about 12k or so.... resulting in me madly washing my hair at 8am when I need to leave at 8:20 Lovely run around west end though... very calm and quiet!! Swim tonight. Running fitness definitely making a return, not quite there yet but progress being made definitely!! 

Long run planned this weekend along WHW while bf goes up some hills and we'll meet at the car afterwards

14/03/2013 at 20:34

Evening all

Late post from me, as not long back from Edinburgh and had to cram dinner down me neck ! Meeting over-ran by about an hour so was late getting train but probably missed worst of rush-hour......however, all I can say is 'Commuting'...feck that everyday!!!

Had a bizarre clash of cultures today, very succesful meeting, but about half and half self-employed consultants like moi or other commercial operators, and the rest University types. The self employed all going, give us deadlines, lets do this now, lets publish, this is great stuff, hurrah !!! And the Uni types giving it, oh well, we've only had this material for the last four years (!!!) and we could start this in a couple of months, but we need so and so from this other Uni and they might take a few more months!!! Arrrrrgh! Just fecking DO IT ! So glad I dont work at a Uni anymore .

UTC - enjoy the WHW - I believe there might be snow forecast !

14/03/2013 at 20:39

Good running UTC.

Nice run for me this evening. Quite hilly.

Good luck at the weekend FFB, and to anyone else doing the D33.

14/03/2013 at 20:42

5 mile recovery run tonight. Think I might wait a week before the next one
Kudos to all those doing D33 this weekend

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.