Scottish Runners

30,641 to 30,660 of 33,383 messages
17/03/2013 at 20:42

Well done on the D33 ffb, I was cold and wet enough after 5 miles in the Aberdeenshire hills!

18/03/2013 at 06:32

Morning

Well in last 2 days of current work contract. 5 days holiday built up, so taking them from Wed,a s contract officially finishes on 26th March.

18/03/2013 at 08:02

Morning.

BM, my contract finishes on 30th and I still don't have anything lined up  My own fault though. I had one in the bag but was not sure and kept them hanging on too long, so that I could do an interview with someone else (which I did not get), and they withdrew the offer. Doh  

Right outer hip and hamstring very grumpy with me. Not sure if I have picked up a slight injury or if it is just DOMS. I had a couple of slips and as my right leg is my leading leg it took the brunt of the slip. Might see if i can get a session with my sports injury therapist just to get checked over.

Taper nearly done TP.

18/03/2013 at 18:29

Well done FFB. You can enjoy a rest now, and stay in the warm. Is this winter going to last forever?

The couple marshalling with me at LK - Helen and John - were doing the D33 too - do you know how they did?

Looking forward to the Run Garioch 10k on Sunday (husband doing the half), but if roads very bad may have to miss it. Managed to get places in the 'Black Rock 5' on 21st June though - lucky as filled up very quickly - anyone else doing it, or done it before?

18/03/2013 at 18:42

At this rate it might still be the winter in June !

I'm starting to think this TP100 race has some kind of weather curse on it .

18/03/2013 at 19:31

TP : I remember going for  a run on Good Friday morning to find  a covering of snow.

18/03/2013 at 21:14

Birkmyre - they are saying we might get a white Easter this year !

18/03/2013 at 22:29

The worst blizzard I ever got caught in on a Scottish hill was April 17th, 1986. Though we certainly seemed to get more snow in the early to mid 80s.

19/03/2013 at 06:07

57.5 We sure did,I  used to love getting sent home from school in mid- 1970s -early 80s because of heavy snow.

TP;Thats not a surprise !

19/03/2013 at 09:01

well it was a snowy and very windy five miles for me this morning. didn't really cope with the wind at all and bailed out after 5 miles but it was just so horrible.

well done on the D33 FFB. great result.

19/03/2013 at 09:04

Very little snow here.

D33 Race report here

19/03/2013 at 10:28

Nice write up FFB . It certainly sounds like it was a lot worse under foot than the year I did it, when we only had one muddy patch near the turning point to skirt around. Good medal as usual.

A few admin things to do for work today, then I can start getting my gear together for Saturday - I am seriously considering taking my Norweigian army fleece, as well as merino mid-layer, as the weather has the potential to be very bad. It will be worth carrying the extra weight not to freeze to death . James has said he will take anything left in drop bags to the finish in Oxford, which gives people chance to change out of wet things.

19/03/2013 at 20:12

Great report FFB, and really well ran too Wish I could be that disciplined

Is the race this weekend coming TP?

I remember that too bm My sisters used to take an arm each and drag me home through the snow

5 tready miles for me tonight.

19/03/2013 at 22:37

Quite a bit of snow for my run into work, and all gone by the time I got home. That was a quick change! Very impressed to find the whole cycle route from my village into Nairn cleared by the 'pavement plough' before 8am!

400m reps tonight on a track that got icier as the session progressed. Ouch.

Nice report ffb.

20/03/2013 at 09:22

Morning

My post has gone from earlier !

Cold still, snow on Kilpatrick Hills.

20/03/2013 at 11:00

Morning all

MrsMac - yes it is this weekend, and I'm not sure I can take any more stress .

L's elderly father fell ill on Monday, passed out in street, wouldnt go to hospital, keeps falling over in house, breathless, wont take his ventolin inhaler, going to doctors on Thursday, stubborn old bugger still wants to come to Oxford with us when actually he should be in the bloody hospital .

Depending which weather forecast you believe we are either going to get blizzards on the M6 on Friday, or it will 'just rain a bit' .

The train I was going to get into London on Saturday morning is being re-routed due to engineering works and now stops at Hounslow where there is a bus service to Richmond (think i will just get a taxi here!!!).

And......email from Centurion this morning saying stretches of river are flooded again and if we get further rain they are going to have to re-route the course, so that we do out and backs, with the finish in Windsor instead of Oxford ! Total nightmare for them as organisers......nightmare for us as runners . They are taking the final decision on Thursday, but I reckon it will be the re-route as the river will be too dangerous to risk.

Is this supposed to test how much I really want to run 100m? It sure feels like it at the moment.....

I think this race is cursed.........

20/03/2013 at 12:26

TP - Total nightmare and stress inducer  I hope L's dad is ok. Mr FFBs elderly parents are the same. My Mum a bit younger and due to previous serious health issues is sensible about when to go to the doctor etc.

It is strange how some events can be a personal nemesis or seem cursed for particular individuals.

I hope it works out for you.

Weather forecasts do not help either. I was the same with Loch Katrine: differnent sites had contradictory forecasts. Which one to believe is always an interesting process and risk factor.

20/03/2013 at 13:31

Oh TP - what a total nightmare. I'd definitely agree the race is cursed!!! and I know if it was me I'd be wondering how motivated I was ... but then you've done ALL this training ... tough call but I'd take every bit of kit I had I think. Out-and-backs doesn't sound too inspiring ...

sleet/snowing as I speak, most of the stuff from Monday has mainly melted but understand more to follow - sigh.

10.5 miles this morning, 4 with a friend. Still ignoring ankle/foot issues!!

Back later to read race report.

20/03/2013 at 14:32

I'm a Scot based in locksmiths Chigwell, Essex. Will be heading up North this summer to take part in a few runs for 1-2 causes. Where do people run in Scotland?

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 14:33
20/03/2013 at 15:55

I run in and around Forres/Findhorn on the Moray Firth

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.