Scottish Runners

30,661 to 30,680 of 33,498 messages
20/03/2013 at 16:19

Welcome to the thread Dan - loads of good trail running in Scotland - depends what you want to do?

CC / FFB - If I make it to the start of this bloody race it will be a small miracle - but I'm gonna pack and try to set out regardless.

The out and back thing did not inspire me either it has to be said, but now I've had a look through where they are talking about it actually doesnt look too bad. They are keeping all the drop bags in Windsor, so its a case of pick up what you want, get changed etc, then back out again. My only slight concern if they do that route is all the CP's will be outdoors , but I have some good warm toilets memorised from last year !

Have to make a try for it, 5 months of training, two training 'races' a 41m and 38m last year, 4wks of tapering.......I'm not gonna quit now....but if I get stuck in a blizzard on the M6 then so be it. I have to at least try to get there somehow.

Hey, on the positive side, in light of all....the run will be 'easy' !!!!

Tell you what though - I'm not doing this next year - too risky with the weather / river etc - might stick to a nice local race like Glas-Edinb!

20/03/2013 at 19:25

Flippin' heck TP!! Talk about things conspiring against you However, you've done all the training and it'll take more than blizzards/route changes/floods/errant trains to get in your way

Good running cragchick Is your ankle still being naughty?

Dan, I run on the east-coast. Where are you headed?

8 miles tonight. Got in just before a heavy hailstone deluge

20/03/2013 at 19:54

FFB - nice race report, well done at D33

TP sounds a bit of a nightmare. Hope it all comes together on the day and you get there without too much bother. We look forward to hearing about it.

Hi Dan, folk running all over the country on here from us up north to those in the Central Belt.

Still injured though, bloomin snow got in the way of a bike ride today - back to the pool!

CC - how's it going?

20/03/2013 at 20:40

TP - most of my races include hideous logistics ... so like you, I figure if I make the start line then the race is there to be done!!! I think I genuinely was so amazed to get to the start of the SDW race after driving the 600 odd miles with the kids for company, I wasn't remotely nervous - hey, I had a whole 30 hours that were mine alone!!!!  Good luck though, for the travel plans, the health of aging relatives and making the start line ...

Mrs Mac/Elspeth - ankle foot still playing up, achilles niggling and some plantar fasciitus to add to the mix now BUT hasn't impeded training ... YET. Rolling foot on ball, rollering calf muscles and deep massage ... I'm seeing if I can train up to the Easter holidays then I've got two weeks to take it easy what with kids off and visiting relatives!  Hoping for a 15-miler tomorrow - that will tell!!!

Elspeth - is this the same injury again or a different one?  I'm blaming all the running on icy tracks!!  All the ice is keeping me away from my bike at the moment, cos I am a wimp!!

Mrs Mac - boo to the hailstone deluge. Not been too bad here today, just bitingly cold.

20/03/2013 at 22:15

Weather hasnt been too bad in Glasgow today - we even had a bit of sun this afternoon  - hard to believe it is going to be as bad as they say come Friday .

Had a good rant to my mother tonight on the phone, feel much better . She said if there is 3feet of snow on Friday morning it would be a blessing in disguise cos at least then we wouldnt have the worry of carting the 'nearly dead' down the M6 !!! Trust my mother to see the gallows humour side of things, she is outrageous ! I am seriously worried though, he might keel over at a motorway service station and then we are really f!cked .

Well, if I dont make it to the start, I will be better trained come the Fling than I have been for the past 2yrs of doing it .

CC - that was amazing you made it to SDW actually - but sounds worth the trip for the peace and quiet .

21/03/2013 at 08:53

Cold and frosty one thi smorning.I  quite enjoyed being out as no wind or rain

21/03/2013 at 13:46

Afternoon all

Well I'm packed and ready, but still swithering over going !

Email today saying they will be running the alternate Flood Route (out and back, and out and back, and out again, finishing in Windsor ) BUT, if the weather / floods get any worse over tonight / tommorrow they will postpone the race altogether!

Now, whilst it is commendable they have all these contingencies in place, its a whole heap of useless nothing to me, when I have to make the decision whether to set out from Scotland tommorrow in a blizzard, to potentially get all the way to London only to be told we cancelled it this morning !!! Or worse, what happened last year - get part way round and its cancelled......

So, will have further discussions with L - ie the support crew/driver  - tonight, but I am seriously thinking of sh!t-canning the race this year, accepting my financial loss on accommodation and train tickets, and just writing it all off down to experience. Its just a lot of bad luck with the weather, and this route seems particularly susceptible to it.

That will be me sticking to Scottish races Oct - March in the future!!!

Hope everyone else is having decent days - its not too bad at the moment out here.

21/03/2013 at 19:18

Oh TP, what a nightmare! Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck. I'm crossing everything that it works out ok and you have a fab race. Take care

21/03/2013 at 19:26

Hope things work out for you TP. I'd recommend the G2E, if the canal floods we've all got problems .

Hoping the weather is more benign than promised tomorrow, as I've got to get to Aberdeen. Skiing at the weekend though which sounds more sensible in the conditions.

21/03/2013 at 19:41

Thanks guys - i am looking at maybe getting onto the reserve list for GtoEd. I think going down to London is totally off given the forecast. There is also the option of Lochaber marathon 14th April if I am desparate.

good luck to everyone on the road tommorrow.

I wish the organisers of TP100 would basically grow a pair and say this is cancelled due to weather.

21/03/2013 at 20:08

That's a shame TP.

For various reasons, haven't run umch this week, but good runs yesterday and today. Had to pull out of Run Garioch.

22/03/2013 at 08:34

Morniig from a snow covered Erskine.

It's still falling and had to clear MrsB car x2

4M Steady. Okay run.

Be acareful out there if travelling.They surely must cancel events with this weather.

TP : Probably a wise decision in view of current weather. I know it won't have been an easy decision.

22/03/2013 at 12:09

Spoke to my mother on the phone at 8am this morning - she said they had had about 4inches of snow in Staffordshire and still coming down, and there had been a whole host of accidents and delays on the M6 around B-ham at rush hour, so as much as it was annoying I think I made the right decision not to go.

Now that I dont have to taper anymore I can go for a run!

Take care out there everyone.

22/03/2013 at 17:46

Aw TP, I saw you out running at lunchtime. Did a double take cos I had not been on hear since early yesterday, but reckoned the weather had put the kybosh on it  What a shame. With hindsight, you could have run my marathon.

Had a journalist and photographer round this morning to do a piece for the Sunday Mail magazine. Bit of a mixed blessing I think. I hate to think how it is going to come across. They started taking photos which were general portraits, then it went from bad to worse: me in the kitchen 'baking' (I had made the mistake of making some scones to give them); then ironing FFS ; then sitting with my embroidery (hobby); and then finally into my running gear for some outdoors action shots. At one point I commented that you would never believe I was a highly skilled professional, at which point they decided to take some shots of me in the study at the PC.

But hey, if it raises some more money for the charity and gets me some more corporate sponsorship .....

23/03/2013 at 13:59

Afternoon all

FFB - yeah, I should have done your marathon, with hindsight that actually would have been a much better plan overall .

The newspapers have some funny ideas about how to spin a story FFB , hopefully they will go more for the sporty professional side and less for the 'house-wife' angle !

Gutted as I am not to be down running in England, I think the trip down and then trying to get into London this morning would have been a nightmare . They have heavy snow forecast today, so I just pray the poor sods out on the course don't get the race canned out from under them like happened to me last year, and that the marshalls dont all freeze to death overnight at those outdoor CP's !

Did a good 11.4 miler this morning up into some quite deep snow in Newton Mearns - good 10-15cm in places - wore trail shoes, but still managed wet feet from the sloshy puddles. Not quite the 100 I had in mind for today, but needs must .

Hope everyone else is doing okay.

23/03/2013 at 15:28

Such a disappointment TP, but given the weather conditions probably best.

Having taken a week off I am sitting contemplating stating back into things. Decided to spnd today catching up with some things, plus getting organised and ding a photoshop session to get phots ready for baby FFBs 18th birthday book. I did this for the older baby FFB: pulled to together a bok of pics from birth to present day.

Older FFB phoned me this morning to say she and some of the uni hill walking club are up in Glencoe  I had hoped they wud have cancelled this weekend's trip. She has strict instructions to let me know that she is OK at the end of the day. The avalanche warnings are high.

TP - I have no doubt whatsoever that it will be the housewif angle given the paper. Apparently the Herald and the Scotsman are interested too, so hopefully will get some more sensible coverage from them.

23/03/2013 at 18:19

Very disappointing indeed TP but very wise nonetheless. Like you say, you'll be well prepared for the Fling

Will need to look out for your article FFB, is it this weekend? We were supposed to be running White Corries to Fort William part of the WHW today but decided against it

Had a couple of 'interesting' training days. Yesterday, I ran 5 miles on the Treadmill then did 20K on the bike twice Today I ran 25 x 0.4 mile laps outside to make a 10 miler then did 45 mins gym work. Joy

24/03/2013 at 09:51

It is not in today, but will be in in the next week or so.

24/03/2013 at 14:10

afternoon

just back from a 16miler (or thereabouts, possibly a bit further, didnt have my Garmin)

Felt good but boy the wind was harsh on the way back!!! Slow and steady but felt comfortable all the way which is good.

Saw Kirsty out as well, out on one of her last (if not last) LSR's before London.

Thats a pity about your race TP but you seem to be ok about it and it sounds like its for the best.

FFB, hope the article comes out ok!

Interesting training indeed MrsMac...

O

24/03/2013 at 14:11

Windy here too. Good 10 mile run before lunch. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.