Scottish Runners

30,761 to 30,780 of 33,193 messages
07/04/2013 at 10:08

Rest day for me too! GE was hard work, but I made it. I was making good time until about 35 miles, then by 42 miles I felt like quitting- just feeling no energy- lightheaded at  checkpoint- but everyone at the CP was so positive and encourafing that I felt I couldn't quit. OK again until 50 miles, then struggling with general leg tightness- I hooked up with someone else for the last few miles, as I didn't fancy sighthill/ westerhailes alone , he had been vomiting, so was only walking anyway, so the last 5 miles were pure walking ( apart from the sprint for the line!). 11:45 -ish. Feet not too sore- I can walk (just), oddest ill effect is a very tender toungue surface- feels burnt! Celebrating  my birthday today- will be the laziest onE ever!

07/04/2013 at 10:15

Morning all

18miles for me too yesterday, some good hills, although not quite as spectacular as the WHW . This cold is trying to get on my lungs so I am double-dosing the steroid inhaler to keep it out !

FFB - I always just get dropped off at the start and picked up at the finish of the Fling. Tbh the drop bag system is so good, and well spaced, and the car parks get really busy, so unless you wanted a change of shoes etc, or to drop off kit, there is not much point having the car support. Although (whispers) I have often thought Millarochy Bay would be a good place to have someone meet you cos a) it has great toilets! b) its not a CP! c) they wouldnt have to drive all the way to Rowardennan then just turn around and drive back.

I have always taken Rowardennan as 'the point of no return' - so I will text L from there and say, all going well, going to carry on, see you in Tyndrum etc. Its a good spot to make the decision because of the road access issues further up, and lets them know you are doing okay. I always put a small flask of tea in the Rowardennan drop bag as a moral boost - lots of people stop at this CP and get some good food down them, its like a runners picnic spot, and the mobile receprion is good .

Fling will be a bit different this year with us all starting at 6am.

Off out for a gentle cycle, if the lungs will allow it .

07/04/2013 at 10:16

Well done Tricia  and happy birthday!!

07/04/2013 at 10:49

Well done Tricia, and enjoy your Birthday rest day

Thanks for the tips TP. Daft question, does anything you leave at the CPs get back to you or is it basically ditched/lost? Also, do they do a kit inspection? I currently do not have waterproof trousers (but do have windproof shell trousers). I don't 'do' waterproof trousers as a general rule. 

07/04/2013 at 14:55

Hi FFB - they don't return the drop bags, as a general rule, so don't leave anything you plan to keep. Last year I think John did try to return one or two items that people had mislaid/left behind, tops etc, but this was all done via the Fling forum, and not generally encouraged.

No, there is no kit inspection, it is all very relaxed (not like the Army-esque weigh in and inspection they do at the Lakeland 50 ). The only compulsory item this year is a foil blanket, everything else is up to personal choice. They have brought this rule in this year because a woman fell last year and broke her collar bone and was lying on the trail for a while before they could evac her (although they were very quick with the medics). I tend to take a little more warm stuff than some, as being slower I will be out longer and it does get a little chilly toward the latter end of the route as it starts to get dark. I won't take the waterproof trousers on this though, unless it is absolutely lashing it down .

07/04/2013 at 16:18

Well done Tricia. Hope you're enjoying your laezy birthday.

Goodd to hear you're running again Elspeth.

Did the parkrun yesterday - first time for weeks - new pb. Good run this morning - snowing again.

07/04/2013 at 19:50

Well done Tricia and Happy Birthday

FFB- sounds like anice family day out.

TP - Nice run too.

Ali Mac - nice work with new PB

Still only little runs and so slow for me, very impatient to be fully better, but worried of course that it might recurr again. Another DNS for Fling for me. Think I'm jinxed!

Light snowfall last night! Lovely day but got called into work for the afternoon

07/04/2013 at 21:35

Well done on the PB Alison.

Great job in the G2E Tricia, and happy Birthday! It is a tough course if you get down on yourself with the monotonous terrain, especially when the countour starts taking you back away from Edinburgh. I'm glad I decided not to run this year as I was too full of cold to give it a good go. Did get in a few miles on the canal around Bishopbriggs yesterday, though, and it's all been tarmaced! Not sure what the tongue could be other than a reaction to a cocktail of energy food, or you had a dry mouth and were subconsciously rubbing it on teeth or palate.

How was the stretch from Drovers to Crianlarich FFB? Was going to do that section on our way south if I'd been healthier but won't get to practice it now. My wife also thought the Drovers was 'interesting', and full of her fellow Americans today. Dog friendly to two tired an muddy big pooches though which is always a plus.

I can report that the east side of the Loch is very dry TP. I was feeling a bit better today so took the dogs from the car park at Sallochy Wood up to the Drovers. Bit wet south of Inversnaid and a few slippy spots in the really rough bit 4-5 km north of the hotel but no trouble at all for the shoes. Sadly the weather was a bit dull as I'd been looking forward to some views.

Lots of snow blowing around up north on the way home but nothing lying, even over the Dava.

08/04/2013 at 09:39

Morning all

Well done on the pb Alison.

Elspeth - onwards and upwards. Are you going to Cape Wrath this year? You are cursed with the Fling in the same way I am cursed with that damned TP100 !!

57.5 - thanks, that is good to know. Makes an easy shoe choice. I always take that Inversnaid scrambly bit really slowly, then try to catch up a bit later on.

I don't know what you all mean about the Drovers - I thought all pubs in the Highlands were meant to be like that !

Rest day today, trying to shift this cold, mostly above the neck, but feels like there might be some small alien being lodged in my throat .

08/04/2013 at 14:25

A'noon

Thought I'd posted on here earlier.

Oh well

Hill reps x 6 for me this morning. Mile warm up and down.

08/04/2013 at 15:04

The Drovers is indeed an experience  The section I was on was very dry also.

TP have you had your race brief info already?

Speed intervals for me today.

08/04/2013 at 19:30

FFB - nope, there was some info at the bottom of the entry email though, mainly about the foil blanket. Apparently something will go up on the site soon.

08/04/2013 at 19:42

Crazy weather here, quite a snowfall last night - for April anyhow then all melted and quite warm for a wee run up wideford hill this afternoon. Hard work, not fit!

Hoping to be at Cape Wrath in that have booked accommodation etc so it's a weeks holiday in sunny(?) Durness if nothing else but hope I'll be fit to run some of it. Not so hopeful about the marathon though.

Fling was one of those runs I really wanted to do sometime, however shelved for forseable future.

Remember Drovers from when we did WHW - walking in 1984! Quite a place.

08/04/2013 at 19:52
Drovers 1984 - yes the only time Els and I slept in a 4 poster bed!
08/04/2013 at 20:56

Allison: Well done on th epb.

Tricia: A belated Happy Birthday.

10/04/2013 at 15:25

Hi there.  Do I start this with the obligatory "I'm sorry to be so crap at keeping up."?  I hope people have all been well. 

I got to meet a couple of forumites in recent months... UTC at Falkirk - was that really a month and a half ago? - and Kirsty and Scobos at recent park runs.  I may have met others of you, but I'm assuming you don't actually look like rabbits and meerkats, so your internet disguises serve you well.... Also, that isn't a real photo of me on my avatar either.

Anyway... Is anyone going to Lochaber this weekend?  I might do a run there!

10/04/2013 at 15:53

Latest blog entry

10/04/2013 at 18:08

Three days of no running for me - cold has turned rotten . Think I am going to have to take this whole week as a no-goer, and hope I can breath again by the weekend. NOT a good way to approach the Fling taper .

10/04/2013 at 20:21

Ian:Nah don't bother mate good to have you posting again anyway

TP: Sorry to hear you're 'no well'.

10/04/2013 at 20:35

The WHW in 1984 was quite an experience for me. Sunburn and clegs replaced the usual pissing rain and midgies.

Durness? I guess that's a southern beach holiday for Orcadians .

Taper for the Fling starts here, but it is hard to plan that when the rest of the training has been so haphazard. Think I'll swap Tuesday intervals for a hill run with Highland Hill Runners for the next two weeks but otherwise, who knows.

At least your cold has come well pre race TP. And it's too late for training to make a difference so enjoy the rest!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.