Scottish Runners

30,781 to 30,800 of 33,659 messages
12/04/2013 at 07:26

Wow lots to catch up on

Lee Anne- Welcome

Glazier coming at 8:30 am to put in a new kitchen window.

12/04/2013 at 10:46

Morning all

Cragchick - yeah the Easter hols do seem to have gone quickly this year.

BM - good luck with the new window.

Lee-Anne - I would have been at Balfron too, but this year it is the day after the Fling, so there is no way I will be running anywhere (well, not fast enough to do a 10k anyway!) .

Feeling much better today, I think I 'broke' the fever on Weds night, couldnt stop shaking, had the cold shivers part and headache, but not the 'sweats' part, now thats gone it seems much improved. Still gunky lunged, so will give it today to make sure, and probably try a run tommorrow. Downstairs neighbour has been off sick for two weeks with hacking cough, so that is probable origin , thinking myself lucky I have shaken it off in a week.

12/04/2013 at 11:53

Ewan - you make Balfron sound great.  Is a 10K a fortnight after a marathon a stupid idea?  Let us know how you do Lee-Anne.

Cragchick - just looked at Lairig Ghru.  Wow!  That's the sort of route elevation that would have me running in the opposite direction.  Impressive stuff.

TP - hope you're reeling better.  Doesn't sound like a fun-filled experience.

Turns out eating 600-750g of carbs requires dedication.  I gave up at 400 and still feel rather balloon-like.

12/04/2013 at 12:07

Just organised a week on Harris (to time with the HM)

57.5 Hope you're right about the weather at Cape Wrath
(but will be in the sea whatever even if not sunbathing weather )

FFB Happy 22nd (we'll be on 29 this year!)

12/04/2013 at 13:10

Ouch Ian - don't overload yourself !

Harris will be lovely OH , always fancied a go at that Half.

Was thinking about maybe heading back to cape wrath next year, mainly for the marathon - but I do miss that beach .

12/04/2013 at 14:22

Busy again

TP: new window fitted in about 20mins.

More catching up to do then some  cross training-Ironing

12/04/2013 at 20:22
ewan w wrote (see)

welcome Lee-Anne! the Balfron 10k is a cracking race, it's quite hilly in parts but nothing crazy. you will find much flatter 10ks though. i've done it 3 times and it's always been great, the school is an excellent base for it and the course is beautiful. the views are amazing and the atmosphere supportive. you've chosen a peach for your first race!

there are loads of stunning races and routes to be had in central scotland especially in the summer. check out the scottish running guide for the most comprehensive race listings.
Persoanlly I love the Callander Crags for a leisurely but hilly run which ain't far from you. or go from Bridge of Allan to Dunblane and back along the river path, short but sweet. you'll know the Hillfoots well no doubt so no need to tell you about Clackmannanshire! there is a free 5k Parkrun which is timed in Falkirk every sat morning at 9.30. run round part of Loch katrine is nice. forest paths in Queen Elizabeth forest in Trossachs is great too. there are hundreds on your doorstep. enjoy!

http://scottishrunningguide.com/race_listings.php

Falkirk parkrun has been shut for a while so DON'T GO THERE! not yet anyway I wish it was on as I missed the whole winter with course work then flu and I want to do it again. Latest outlook is to resume May 6th.

13/04/2013 at 14:54

Been out for a very snottery 6.6m slow run today , legs felt really weird after a week of no running .

Got back and decided to wash my trail shoes (I can hear you sniggering at me from here Cragchick ) - normally I would just give them a wipe or something, but after wearing these ones in the flooded Lakes last year, then through stinky sewer farm on the RAW, decided they needed a proper clean as they stank like raw silage . Been putting it off, but figured if they get wrecked in the machine, at least I have others.

So, a pre-wash with Nikwax foam cleaner, the machine starts going mental, foam spews out of the door, water leaks all over the floor ......errrrr maybe by 'two cap fulls' they meant the inner cup and not the outer cup?  Foam central, it was like 'The Blob' in there, and it was slithering toward the cat !!! Cat ran to his safest place - the cat basket I take him to the vet in - and hid in there ! Drained machine, scooped out foamy excess, water everywhere.....think I should have just left them stinking! Second wash on now - gore-tex reproofer - so far no foam and no leaks! Hopefully they will be dry in the next two weeks !

Subsequently missed most of the football - and it looks like it has been a really good game.

13/04/2013 at 17:27

afternoon...

phew that was a significant catch up! Finally home from Mallorca and surprised myself with the amount I was able to do, although disappointingly the swimming was near impossible... Shoulder update-am now down to just 1 or 2 doses of pain killers a day. Bruising and swelling much better. Movement much improved but still nowhere near enough for swimming... Managed a lot on the bike although uphill was a bit of a struggle at times as it was pulling a bit and I still have only about 50% range of movement. Can run but reps have been sore as the driving is still difficult and thats what hurts. More relaxed but have yet to attempt anything too long.. hoping to do a long run tomorrow in the Lake District though on our way to Manchester (for a concert on Monday night!-staying 2 nights, and will do MTB hopefully en route home). Hoping Im ok for CW.... it could have been so much worse though so I have to be grateful. My triathlon at the end of the week was a duathlon but I was happy with my time, esp on the bike!!

Great week if disappointing in some respects due to the injury. Weather lovely. Great roads. Quiet. Away from main resorts. Saw some famous cyclists and dined in Mr Wiggins' favourite cafe Tollos and got some nice new kit!!

well done Tricia on G2E!! Dont think these things are ever without a struggle or too!!

Welcome Lee Ann and well done any other racers. Glad you are running again Elspeth.

13/04/2013 at 17:31

Oh and welcome back (again) IJ and glad you're on the mend TP!!

Looking at new training plans since the week as the coaches were excellent and the standard was good and mixed. Bf won the tri... and he had a great time in the mountains. Good times had by all!!

Off for a rest this evening before we head off again in the morning....

13/04/2013 at 19:44

Good luck to anyone at Lochaber tomorrow, welocmoe back IJ and TP- glad the shoulder is setling, and didn't completely ruin your trip.

So now my question for those who have done both GE and the fling.............which should I do next year?

I've gone past the "never again" stage, to the "what next?" stage. I am already planning Clyde stride and Glen Ogle for this year, but should I do GE again next year, or the fling? - otherwise I'm not really trying anything new next year.

Dunno- I'm not much good at off road stuff at present, so would need to really get working on that side of it. I have time, though, and at least I know that 11 hours on my feet doesn't kill me.

The fling sounds more "fun" than GE, somehow.

13/04/2013 at 20:06

Just been catching up after a few days away. Welcome Lee-Anne, and welcome back IJ and Joe. 

Didd the parkrun again today. Quite a nice day, and good turnout. Doing the Angus half next Sunday (are you doing it Mrs Mac?).

Good luck to anyone doing Lochaber, and anyone else racing tomorrow.

13/04/2013 at 20:17

Welcome back UTC and glad you are mostly mended.

I will give you my opinion after the Fling tricia, but I did like finishing a race in Edinburgh where a few beers and a curry were of high quality and easy to come by!

Good luck to tomorrow's racers.

14/04/2013 at 11:36

thanks 57.5, off to the Lakes for a long run now but will have to see how things hold up as still pretty sore.... aiming for 18-20 but only time will tell...

14/04/2013 at 13:23

Anyone do the Balloch to Clydebank half today?

just had an email saying the timing hardware was gubbed. 

Anyway, had a great run and PB'd by a good 5 mins. Now just hoping the time isn't "lost".

Good luck to everyone else racing today...some wind to contend with in certian places.

Edited: 14/04/2013 at 13:24
14/04/2013 at 14:14

Afternoon all

Decent 12.5m run today, almost feeling back to normal .

Glad to hear you had a good week despite the injuries UTC.

Tricia - I dunno if 'fun' is the right word, but , there are certainly more runners, so you do get to chat a bit. Now you have a time for a flat 50, I would add a generous 2 to 3 hrs extra to complete the Fling, to account for the roughness of some of the terrain along Loch Lomond, and the hilly bits. This would get you finished within the cut-off .

Got home today just as the last few stragglers were going into Hampden for the football - was looking forward to sticking the TV on and doing my stretching, but the game isnt being televised on terrestrial....Bah!!

In some moment of lunacy I was looking at the Loch Ness marathon website this morning  LOL, well, its been a while since I've done it, would be nice to go back, just have to put that pesky bus journey out of my head . Leaning toward more marathons in 2014 I think, and fewer ultras.

Hope Ian is doing okay at Lochaber.

14/04/2013 at 15:58

Well done Kenny - hope you do get an official time.

Good running TP.

6 mlies this morning - tapering for next week's half. Quite windy.

14/04/2013 at 16:34

Hope everyone is surviving the taper.

I  had a beautiful run on the banks of Loch Tay yesterday and a cycle round Loch Rannoch. Just as well as the Tay has  today with all the melt water I assume.

my long run is tomorrow and I am going  do the 10k distance for the first time. Am planning to keep it slow and steady and see how it feels.

14/04/2013 at 18:49

Hello... Back from a fabby week up Glenshee. Lots of running on the Cateran Trail and plenty of drinking wine Back to work tomorrow Right, off to see what you guys have been up to.......

14/04/2013 at 18:54

Well done Kenny

TP - glad you feel better but don't you know washing trainers is dangerous! Laughing at the cat running away!

UTC - glad your shoulder is improving, hope you are OK by Cape Wrath.

Mrs mac - nice wee holiday then

Lovely morning here yesterday before the wind came. Had a sunny 10 miles from SKaill to Marwick Head, all offroad. Followed by a picnic on the beach - well for 10 minutes until we got cold!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.