Scottish Runners

30,801 to 30,820 of 33,517 messages
16/05/2013 at 20:21

Thanks everyone, you all have such good running times but I suppose everyone's got to start somewhere! 

Hope the weather lasts over the weekend, makes running outdoors so much more enjoyable  

16/05/2013 at 23:08

Well done miss b and bowies 

I hope your head is better Mrs Mac.

Did drills and a nice set of hill reps up the flagpole mound in Duthie Park tonight. It was level in Aberdeen today. Back home to Glasgow tomorrow afternoon 

17/05/2013 at 08:48

Morning and a cracking sunny one so far today.

4M Steadily done.

Geordie is out  sun bathing on the back steps...

FFB: A belated Happy Birthday to the 'wean'.

17/05/2013 at 08:58

Morning all

Yep a great day here, and I will be out myself shortly.

Cat had me up at 4.40am this morning, birds tweeting and driving him nuts, pacing at the door like a caged lion . He is back in now having his breakfast, like, its perfectly normal to be out at that time of the morning! Only if you are doing the Fling, pussy cat !

Good luck all weekend racers, hope the weather stays good for CW tommorrow.

17/05/2013 at 10:15

Fingers xd TP for the weather here. Another peaceful night in the tent and with the day off today we have did a bit of a spring clean on the car and tent!!! Relaxing day today before the race tomorrow. Rain has not interrupted any races so far but has been very much on and off. Hoping to go over to handa island today.. It looks lovely!!!

Well done everyone, good running!! 

Will be sad to leave this place Sunday, it is astoundingly beautiful, and have found myself buying books about the area!! 

Right , best get on, have a good day all.

17/05/2013 at 11:36

All the best to the CWers

17/05/2013 at 19:03

Long day at work today.

First anniversary of our parkrun tomorrow.

17/05/2013 at 20:14

Quite a good day here weather wise. Probably back to rain tomorrow though...

18/05/2013 at 14:20

Horrible weather here with a wet parkrun. Staying in for the rest of the day.

Happy parkrun birthday Alison.

Glad you are enjoying the north coast UTC. I love it there (but have generally been lucky with the weather).

18/05/2013 at 17:33

Pretty squalid day here.... Marathon was tough. Toughest I've done. Not sure exactly of my time but it was poor by my standards. May have been around 5hrs.... Or just below, or just over. Legs just never got going at all on the rocky paths.... I've never been so glad to get off the boat and be back running on road where I know where to put my feet and can pick up the pace if I want. Weather was windy and wet which didn't help, but the long stretches of nothing and no one were hard in the conditions. I don't like  big commercial events but I have to say this was just as hard. I'm not sure I'd do rt he marathon again but then if I am fit next time who knows???? Bf did well but again not sure of times.. Think maybe 3:25ish. Elspeth and OH also did very well. My estimate for this course was 4:30 And I could improve with more training but not sure if the isolation is my kind of race. Right, dinner time

18/05/2013 at 18:20

That sounds tough UTC. Hope you had a good dinner.

Anniversary parkrun was great - sunny for just long enough, and lots of home-baking after the run.

18/05/2013 at 18:33

Well done Alison on the park run. 

The course for me was just too unchanging. I also don't like the rocky paths where I feel you are constantly looking at your feet. What did go well was nutrition, and  despite having a few blisters from the week, Vaseline seemed to keep the discomfort almost entirely at bay.

The good thing is though, because I was soooo slow, my legs feel ok which is great and means I can continue training to get fit again.

19/05/2013 at 10:07

Well done UTC , you did really well completing the whole week with a hard marathon to finish, when you are still really recovering from your bike fall and other recent illness.

The remoteness and loneliness of this marathon is not for everyone - the first year I did it, it was gloriously sunny, spectacular with the cliffs and peat bogs, and long stretches of being alone with the silence, I loved it , second year the mist was down low for the the first 18 or so miles, so it was like running in an eerie fog bank (could have been anywhere!), and the third year I went it was so windy they couldnt run the ferry so we stayed on the Mainland and ran out up the hill to Rhiconich and back, it was grim and I wouldnt do that course again (Els will tell you about the wind !). The landscape is unforgiving and the weather wears you down, but if you have the mental resolve to finish it will be an experience that you will always remember - and it will set you up great as a foundation toward some of the more difficult ultra races .

Happy Parkrun Anniversary Alison - hope you got cake !

15miles for me yesterday, dry to start then bucketed it, but it stayed warm. Cycling today in a bit. One month until the SDW100 - eeeeeeeeek!!!

19/05/2013 at 10:45

Thanks TP,  I know I would have enjoyed it more if the weather had been better. However, it also reaffirmed that if I can't run the whole way I just don't like it. To me it feels like I might as well go for a hike.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad I did it, the whole week was an amazing experience. And I did kind of treat it like an ultra in a way because of the course.

On our way back now, through the Western highlands, stopped for a cuppa in ullapool. beautiful town.

Looking forward to a good slouch on the couch when we get back!!

19/05/2013 at 13:13

Sounds like quite an experience UTC. I think I would like the solitude and scenery and watching where you feet are going all the time (he says from the comfort of his armchair ). Bit of a contrast from the jampacked field in the GSR. 

We had a star-studded field at Strathclyde yesterday when Elspeth Curran turned up and ran 16.50 . She was doing her warmup strides near me and she really looked like a gazelle. Awesome. I finally broke 21min with a 20.51 parkrun pb despite reduced training from a mini-episode of shin splints so have to be reasonably pleased. Not sure what to do now as I really ought to rest fully to get better but I just refuse to stop running.

19/05/2013 at 15:12

Well done on the pb Joe. Enjoy your slouch on the couch UTC - you've earned it.

Thanks TP - yes, I got some cake. Very nice.

19/05/2013 at 16:22

i learned a lesson today - don't leave your weekend run round strathclyde park till 3pm on a sunday afternoon. Feel like a bit of a fool for heading off for my run at that time of the day.   The place was full of inconsiderate walkers and then at one point running through the woods, heading toward Chatelherault, a group of young neds blocked my path deliberately. Came cose to a fight.  Think I'll stick to the roads in that area or ensure I do my runs early in the morning when it's quiet.

On another note i see the route has been posted for the GSR. Looking forward to my very first HM.

19/05/2013 at 16:31

Nice pb Joe.

Safe trip home UTC. Yeah I know what you mean about the walking stuff - except with me its usually on road marathons, when you can see long stretches of tarmac ahead , and I find myself thinking hmmm, this would be so much faster on a bike .

I do quite enjoy a little bit of the hiking element you get on ultras, over hills and technical sections, but I've been trying to pick ones where you get good long stretches to run too, because as you say, otherwise its just one big long hike, and walking is fine by me, but not 50miles of it (aka anything in the Lake District) .

Nice couple of hours cycling today, still quite cold in the wind over the higher stretches, smells like summer out there, polleny, but temperature certainly doesnt feel like summer .

19/05/2013 at 16:51

Oh dear Iksander, yeah certain times in popular places are best avoided. With me its Pollok Park, great during the week, the usual crowd of dog walkers and runners, very few problems ever. But on a sunny weekend or Bank Holiday really best avoided unless you go early in the morning, or enjoy being mown down by brain dead 4x4 drivers who think 15mph doesnt apply to them, and its okay to drive at 30 through a park and plough these runners/cyclists out the way .

19/05/2013 at 20:34

iksander, its one of the golden rules of running. If you're training on a sunday, make it first thing. Only bit of peace and quiet you'll get all week I quite often train in Kelvingrove Park but I wouldn't dream of it past about 9am on a Sunday. Unless its really tipping down.

thanks alison and tp and I hope you enjoyed your day.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.