Scottish Runners

30,961 to 30,980 of 33,517 messages
06/06/2013 at 20:25

Good luck with the packing TP When do you leave? Good luck in case I miss you.

Good luck Dirty 30 gang You doing it too OH?

Wee 6 miler tonight

06/06/2013 at 20:32

Mrs Mac - He is! Seems to blame me for some unknown reason!

Good luck with Strathearn all who are doing it - Mrs Mac, FFB, Tricia?

Off early tomorrow, back Sunday night. Could be a long day on Sat.

Also useless at school sport - no good at hockey therefore written off!

06/06/2013 at 22:39

Evening all. A rather hot an uncomfortable 7 miles for me this evening. I did a good nifty 5.5 yesterday lunchtime. I think I need to up the stretching.

Not doing Strathearn as it is the morning after the night before ...... yep, small birthday party on Saturday night, so probably not a good mix with marathon running.

Went to see Eddie Izzard last night: great show

I have created a crowd funding project to try and help raise the remaining funds I need to get out to Antarctica. Here is a link to Bloom VC where it is set up. Crowd funding is where you look for lots of small investments/promises for rewards. They start at £5.  It is supposed to be a very successful way of funding projects/events/challenges etc.

I would really appreciate it if you could pass the link on to anyone who might be interested.

07/06/2013 at 06:32

Mornng

Cracking one sunny and warm. Much easier to get out on mornings like these.

I was quite fortunate then re PE at school, I was into athletics and reasonably good at it. We'd a good athletics and cross country tradition in our school and our PE Teachers encouraged it, so I ( and others) got time of to practice and go to school competitions.

07/06/2013 at 07:46

Lovely morning here but no running. Resting after a rather rubbish tennis match last night but I won't bore you all with that. 

I loved PE at school - sports champion at primary school, played football and rugby for the school teams, got club awards for basketball with the school team and ran for the athletics team. But I think they got longer distance running wrong though at school, making everyone do it in the middle of winter. Nuts. 

Good luck to those doing the longer races (dirty 30, strathearn) this weekend. 

07/06/2013 at 08:29

Morning all. Another lovely day. Left leg really tight so lots of stretching and probably no run today. Might throw open the velux windows and jump on the spin bike.

07/06/2013 at 08:30

All the best to those competing this weekend.Looks like a warm and sunny one.

Miss B looking forward to athletics tomorrow in Edinburgh, even without Jess Ennis.

longbow: I am rubbish at tennis. Good for you I was Sports runner up in Primary School.

07/06/2013 at 15:32

Good luck everyone racing / training at the weekend.

See ya all soon !

07/06/2013 at 18:21

Good luck to anyone doing a long race over the weekend in that heat.

Think it'll be another bash at the excellent Tollcross Parkrun for me.

07/06/2013 at 18:42

Good luck to everyone racing at the weekend. Husband has just left to do the Templeton trail race. I'm on-call this weekend but should fir in a copule of runs.

08/06/2013 at 06:35

Strathearn could be warm!- luckily I'm planning to go slow as "time on feet" for clyde stride.

Us left handers were always at a disadvantge with school sports- I was monumentally rubbist at everything we did at school- it was only when I discovered judo that I found any sport I could even vaguely enjoy!

09/06/2013 at 07:02

Morning

All the best to any weekend racers.

The athletics was good yesterday, nice warm weather. Good day out and Miss B enjoyed her Meadowbank debut.

09/06/2013 at 16:33

Strathearn temperature was perfect- dull, overcast up there, despite the glorious sun in Glasgow. Had a good day, slow ( as planned ) at 4:38, but a good trainig run, and feel as if I will recover quickly...............(as soon as I've had this beer!).

Only 4 weeks to clyde stride, so that will be the last big run, as next weekend I don't think I will be ready for a 20 miler.

09/06/2013 at 17:53

Well done Cragchick Recommended?

Well done too Tricia. Sorry I didn't get to say hello but I didn't know who I was looking for!

Glad you had a good day out BM

Absolutely LOVED Strathearn Marathon today Had a great run, 3.41.39 so happy with that.

09/06/2013 at 19:42

Well done to everyone who took part in the long races in this weekend's fine weather. I had an enjoyable 10 miler but wouldn't have wanted much more running than that.

Edited: 09/06/2013 at 21:08
09/06/2013 at 22:01

Well done Mrs Mac, Tricia and Cragchick, excellent running all. And good to meet Cragchick though long gone by the time the pair of us finished!

Only just home but had a very good day at Dirty Thirty. Much too hot for Orkney folk! Our times are rather put to shame by CC . 7.39 for me and 8.34 for Peter. We had planned to run together but after 10 miles we were getting on each other's nerves as our paces on the rougher ground were too different. To make it a little harder I got lost about 22 miles in, went down a forestry trail when I should have turned off for the bothy and by the time had retraced my steps had done an extra 3 miles, was relieved to find myself back on the right track but a bit disheartened after that having made relatively good progress up the big hill. Ah well now I'm going to have to do it again without getting lost aren't I?

Much cooler back home, think we need warm weather training or something! Still Peter's first ultra and a good weekend away.

09/06/2013 at 22:46

Well done CC, tricia, Mrs Mac (great time!), Elspeth and Peter.

Not sunny here today, but still quite warm. Quiet weekend on-call - short run yesterday and longer one today.

10/06/2013 at 06:11

Morning

Catch up time soon

Hill Session done. Dull, but warm, another sunny one forecast

10/06/2013 at 13:59

Well done MrsMac and Tricialitt

My first foray onto the dark side ...
Elspeth gave me just 10 days notice of this - any longer and I'd have thought up a reason to back out!
Work obligingly said that it was OK for me to have the Friday off. I was left with no more excuses

Drive down was a hot day still T shirt and shorts weather at 9 pm

Following morning dawned with low cloud
Left car at Shiel Bridge as instructed for 8:15 minibus over the top to Glenelg passing through the mist. However by the time the race was underway at 9:20 the sun had broken through and day was warming up rapidly (not good fotr those used to an Okney climate!)

Lots of walkers as well as runners at start so a bit of weaving along the minor road at start. Glassy water on Kylerhea (so no cooling wind). Goodbye CC.

Past the ferry and off the road onto a pleasant undulating coastal path taking us round to first checkpoint at Ardintoul ("That's the easy bit done" commented the marshall!) Sure enough the route went steeply uphill after this splitting from those doing the 12 mile "Dirty Dozen" Now into thick forest (where the sun don't shine nor dry the mud).Picking our way though following the markers and avoiding the mud where possible. By this time Elspeth was raring to go and our initial plan of running together was not going to work. We adopted plan B and continued at our own paces. Lovely downhill section with great views to Totaig where we picked up the road again. Getting really warm now. Past Letterfearn jelly bean stop and checkpoint and flat road past Ratagan to Shiel Bridge checkpoint (16.5 miles).

Stop at stash bag for quick bite to eat and on along the valley on a rough path. Before long the path began to climb steeply in zig zags up to the col at around 470m - too steep to run but managed to get to top without stopping (but consumed most of 2 bottles of water!) Buff protecting scalp was also soaked at every available stream!
After the col, I found the bouder covered track too much to run safely and continued walking mostof the way down. First check of map to confirm I was still on correct route Where I was caught up by Donna and Ian who I spent most of the remainder in sight. Next Checkpoint at Moyle where they were having to ration the water.

more to come ...

10/06/2013 at 14:33

After Moyle checkpoint, the path doubles back along the forestry trail. It was now easily runable but I was hot and my shuffle was not even keeping pace with Ian (a "walker"). The path then turns off the forestry path to head towards Suardalan bothy the pathless route being marked by little red flags over the heather moor. Just before the bothy I found a burn to top up my water supplies (and to soak my tshirt and buff). Now up a bridle track to where the Mountain Rescue landrover was sitting (~23 miles). Encouraged on and watered by crew ... pretty much all downhill now.
I now picked up a gravel road that led on and down to the final checkpoint. A hint of a breeze was welcome at this point. I started running again and soon overtook Donna. Met up again with Ian at final checkpoint. Gently downhill now to finish ... Ian briskly walked from along the road but was happy to let me go on ahead with my now slow but steady run.Mad a mental note to self as I passed 26.2 mark.  Now dreaming of finish and cooling down in sea. Last mile into and through Glenelg seemed to take for ever but at last finish was in sight with Elspeth waving to me. Into the hall and finished at 8h34.
Water and juice followed by a stroll to shore where I had a good cool down in sea.
Decided to stay on for meal at Glenelg Inn with a friend and colleague before returning to Shiel Bridge.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.