Scottish Runners

30,961 to 30,980 of 31,027 messages
27/12/2014 at 20:43

That Spine race is completely mad, with all the extra snow they have had this weekend, it is going to be one chilly long walk !! Friend of mine was completely snowed in in Sheffield yesterday.

Went into town today to meet a friend for coffee, mobbed with shoppers but good atmosphere with loads of street bands etc. By the time I got home the ice had mostly melted so I got a decent 5miles in, but there were still some tricky areas of black ice in spots.

Hoping to get up to the allotment soon but will probably have to wait until mid week for things to warm up a bit. The car park is at the top of a really steep hill on a camber, so its quite bad to drive up to if its icy, plus your fingers freeze off trying to dig in minus temps!!

28/12/2014 at 13:34

TP-Don't think the soil will be easy to dig this morning- tried running off the path, thinking the ground would be softer, but it's rock hard underfoot today!

Beautiful out along the canal today- saw a woman rushing along the path with a juvenile swan in her arms- it was still alive, but not moving much- she said it had been trapped in the ice!

28/12/2014 at 19:37

Happy (belated) Christmas to everyone Hope Santa was good to you all?

28/12/2014 at 21:02

after seeing 57.5 on Boxing Day it chivvied me into getting back on here again, have been a bit lapse on RW in general this year I think!!! But I often mentally write replies I don't get to actually post!!! Was a great little fun run, and I was 2.5  mins faster than when I did it in 2011 so I clocked 20:47 for the 5km apparently, may have to see if I can get myself to Inverness park run and try and work down to sub-20 ... need to bribe the kids to sit by the sidelines and not move while I run!!!

Spine - please lets not mention it. So under-trained in many ways but have managed a couple of solo training weekends. The last one was back in November  with my particular highlights being sleeping in a bivy bag near Bynack Mor because it was too windy for the tent, and  negotiating the Lairig Ghru in the dark on my own ...  so am relying on general overall fitness and mental strength!!! and just praying none of my ever in the background niggles completely floor me!

Glad to hear you've all somehow survived the Christmas drama!! Kids had a ball here, even if their mum is starting to crave a return to normality ...

If I fail to make it back on here again before New Year, wishing you all a Happy New Year and one of my intents for 2015 is to post a bit more frequently!!

28/12/2014 at 21:03

and it's not made it much above freezing up here since Monday so I've been trying all my kit out a treat Monday evening was a night hike up on Dava Moor in the snow

29/12/2014 at 09:33

Belated happy Christmas to one and all. I for one love it , even though I am landed with the oldies and the cooking. At least it is usually only for 7. Slight blip though when my father in law fell in Glasgow city centre on mad Friday. He had been at the GFT. Waited 2.5 hours for an ambulance which he shared with a drunk woman . Mr FFB and I caught up with him at the Royal and eventually got him home for midnight. By the time we were called to help we had had a couple of glasses of wine so had to rely on train and feet and miraculously managed to flag a cab down just outside the Royal to get us home. He has broken his arm in 2 places including the ball, so goes in tomorrow to have a couple of pins put in. Apart from that we have had a good few days, although a sigh of relief went out when my mum departed yesterday.

Back to the running. I have been very lazy but will need to get myself organised and into some major training now. Still managed to clock over 2k miles for my year.

Here is volcano marathon part 1 (first half).

And here is volcano marathon part 2 (2nd half).

FInally, here is the piece about the acclimatisation and training days

29/12/2014 at 15:38

Early Happy New Year back to you CC !

Ouch FFB - hope he has recovered a bit now!

Over to Troon today for friends birthday lunch - lovely and sunny over there, although a bit icy on the beach! Nearly didn't go because of the dense fog over Glasgow, but it was fine once out past Newton Mearns.

Low yearly mileage here due to combination of illness and spending most of the summer working the allotment ! Probably fit in a couple of runs before the NY if it warms up a bit tomorrow...

29/12/2014 at 19:26

Hiya cragchick, lcome back  Massive respect to you for doing the Spine race!

Good grief FFB, hope your father-in-laws ok now? What a worry!

It may not be miles TP, but I always felt knackered for you hearing about the hard work you put in your allotment! 

Got 12 miles to run to get 2014 miles for the year

29/12/2014 at 21:04

First parkrun of each month we have pacers cragchick, and I often pace 20 minutes. The only problem is that when the ground is soft a fast time is a bit difficult. Elgin parkrun will be more predictable on tarmac when it eventually gets going. One or two of the muddy days in Bught park would have been good Spine practice mind you...

I remember going out in a blizzard on Hogmanay 2009 to put in the 6km to take the yearly total to 2009km Mrs Mac. Now I pass that in June. Weather looks OK for your last 12 miles.

Looks like I'll be in Lochcarron for The Bells. Not done a west coast Hogmanay before. Expect there is some good running there, so I won't have to overdo the whisky.

30/12/2014 at 12:56

Entries open for Loch Katrine ... 

30/12/2014 at 13:15

Wow- thanks for the reminder- just entered the marathon- you've 38 for the 10k, 83 for the half, and 41 for the marathon already- what a popular event you're putting on!

It will be a good pre- fling last very long training run for me, so I won't be pushing the pace! Looking forwards to it.

30/12/2014 at 15:29

Oooh! better get my rear in gear and enter, the shorter races are selling out pretty fast!!

Got my entry in for the Atlantic Coast Challenge at the weekend. Its not until October and I usually wouldn't enter that early, but they were doing an early bird discount, so...been interested in this race for a while, good excuse for 10days holiday in Cornwall .

Good luck with the last 12m MrsMac , that's good mileage and a nice round figure to finish the year!

I've been pushing around the low 2000's mark for the last few years, but this year it will probably top out at about 1710m, should be able to run again tomorrow as most of the ice has gone here now. The allotment has consumed that missing 300miles definitely!!  All that weight training!

Enjoy Lochcarron 57.5 .

Well that will be me 9.5weeks no alcohol tomorrow ! Tbh with the various stomach issues I've had I really haven't felt like drinking at all, so its not been particularly hard. I might attempt a small beer tomorrow and see how my gut reacts!!

Out for a nice 10m today, ice gone here apart from the odd stubborn patch in Pollok Park. Loads of runners out making up for the last 2days bad weather!

31/12/2014 at 15:00

Happy New Year all .

31/12/2014 at 18:26

Staying lucid enough to work a computer for D33 entry at midnight will be challenging...

Have a great NY everyone and thanks to those who've taken time to help with advice on the occasions I've popped up to request it. Really appreciated!

01/01/2015 at 15:09

Not going to do D33, Loch Katrine ( and a ski trip) are my build up to the Fling.

Just been out for 4 hours on the WHW from Balmaha to Rowardennan and back. Wet !!- had t owade through a number of streams, which were rather higher than I imagine they ususally are- feet were soaking for the whole run, but seem to have held up despite that!

Sitting on warm sofa contemplating beer now!

Happy new year all!

01/01/2015 at 17:08

Happy New Year Folks

Sounds 'interesting' tricia Enjoy the beer!

Offered to marshal Loch Katrine as its the week before my 72 hour race but got a place in D33 for my last long run before it. Managed my 2014 miles too

05/01/2015 at 17:11

Back to the usual routine today, got a good 8m in this morning.

Spent the weekend catching up on my allotment jobs, Saturday was quite nice but chilly and I got lots of digging done, but on Sunday it was a total rink! I had comedy capers at the garden centre trying to manoeuvre 150 litres (in bags) of manure down the car park slope on the trolley, the weight just dragged me down the ice slope and I had to crash into the barrier to stop myself, much to the amusement of a bunch of pensioners until it dawned on them that they had to walk up the same ice slope if they wanted to get into the shop!!

Then I had to grit the path through the park at the allotment in order to get onto the site! I saw lots of runners out in the sun, but the underfoot conditions were quite bad early on. I am de-turfing my existing grassy path in order to replace it with a crazy paving one, so I mainly did that to keep warm - good arm work-out!

Then later on two of the longer standing members came on and had a massive shouty sweary row over the height of the fences and hedges (and a happy new year to you too!), so I decided it was time to depart before I got dragged into it !

Ahhh the fun of gardening, its sooooo relaxing (when there is nobody else there!) .

More running this week if it stays mild...

05/01/2015 at 19:37

see, I knew I wouldn't make it on on NYD ... just as well I got my greetings in early

Not sure how many miles I did all told, I do know I did more than 2014 but it was a combination of running, biking and hiking that got me there ... one year I won't get injured and may actually manage the whole lot by running alone!!

taperitis kicking in well and truly here this week so started the kids first day back at school with a trip to the osteopath to sort out the creaking hip/SI joint/shoulder that always kicks in when I stressed!!! Don't really need that kind of thing just five days before I start walking 268 miles with a 10kg pack!

Not sure what else I'll end up doing this year ... have entered a (whisper) triathlon in May, but a friend has asked me if I'll support him for two sections of the night legs of his attempt at the Bob Graham round (also in May so may not  get the childcare balance sorted!).  Probably enter Dirty Thirty again as I just love that run.  Have put into the ballot for the TdS of the UTMB series too ... or maybe I'll be so broken by the spine that I give it all up and take up armchair sports instead

As it is, this week is about eating and stretching and looking at kit piles and panicking   Happy days

05/01/2015 at 20:06
TP - relaxing gardening - is that possible!

CC - all the very best with the Spine and hope for decent weather for you. Is there any way of following the race? I hope to do Dirty 30 again just so long as I can avoid injury but so far dont' want to be too optimistic.

A poor year mileage wise for me, I stopped counting when I got injured in Feb, lots of bike miles though which I guess was something and even a few swim ones!

Yet again entered Loch katrine, would be nice to actually end up running it for a change, if not I may be marshalling again too! Where is your 72 hour event Mrs Mac?

Not too bad a start to the year here running wise.
06/01/2015 at 15:29

I don't bother with adding my bike miles in to the yearly total, mainly because for some reason my cheapo running garmin doesn't seem to like working on the bike. If I ever get any spare cash I will buy a bike specific or multi-sport one so I can keep better track.

Not long now CC!!  Best of luck with it, and like Elspeth says I hope the weather stays kind for you . Eat loads and stay warm .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.