Scottish Runners

30,981 to 31,000 of 33,525 messages
10/06/2013 at 16:17

He loved it really!

Not much more to report except it's a great run/walk /combination of the two! I didn't aquit myself well due to lack of miles in the legs/heat/getting lost but a spectacular route.

Will still bore you all with my take on it. Set off from the hall having just made CC's acquaintance and met up with a colleague from Oban unexpectedly. Couple of miles road to the ferry then turned onto a pleasant trail along the shore to Ardintoul. We planned to run together, after 8 miles or so this wasn't really working so split up and each went at our own pace. Up a big hill and into the forest and the "dirty" bit of the day. Suspect it's a lot worse in wet weather but got a flavour of it! Then a lovely downhill run of about a mile or two back to the road, baking hot out of the shade of the trees and about 6 miles on the road, stunning lochside and mountain views and bluebells lining the road. Paused for a few min at jelly baby stop to see if P in sight but then carried on, stopped shortly after by 2 folk in a car who I thought were marshalls, turned out to be Japanese tourists with a map looking for Eilean Donnan castle! They didn't believe me that they were on the wrong side of the loch so I left them to it! Reasonable progress down the road and also had a stash of fluid etc under the car so a brief stop at campsite to refuel and use toilet. A few folk to chat to on the way up the big hill, which was really quite enjoyable getting off road again and caught half a dozen folk on way to the top - all soon to be lost

10/06/2013 at 16:30

Over the top nice to get running again admittedly cautiously on the terrain and made good progress down the track and even along the forestry trail to the next checkpoint (about 21 miles). Then it all went pear shaped, completely missed the turnoff to the bothy and ended up on another forestry trail which I pointlessly followed for about 1.5 miles before realising I must be lost, turned tail, very dispirited as I had no idea how to find the right track but at least it was downhill again. Back over the stile I spotted the right way easily enough, down to the bothy and promptly got lost again but only by about 100 yards. Eventually took the right route and was very glad to see an unofficial checkpoint in the form of a land rover about half a mile ahead.

They confirmed I was now OK but told me it was still 8 miles to go (it wasn't it was nearer 6) so that didn't help my mood and now the heat and blisters were beginning to get to me not to mention the fact that my legs were so tired. Cheered up a lot when hit the next check point and it was only 4.5 miles from home though there were still a lot of walk breaks between runs or maybe it was a few run breaks between walks. Baking hot in the valley and it was a relief to turn onto the shore and the final mile with a slight breeze. At same time I spotted the first other runner for nearly ten miles and motivated myself to catch him. Like CC I didn't known about the last wee hill but fortunately he did we finished more or less at the same time. (Near the end of the runners).

Didn't join Peter for his swim, tea and cake in the hall followed by a shower for me and then a meal at the inn with him and D our friend from Oban.

Did brave the sea for a brief swim near Loch Carron on Sun morning before heading home, still 22C at 11am but back to normal climate up here!   

10/06/2013 at 16:31

I'm going to have to do it again and get that time down!

Back to work with a bump this morning!

10/06/2013 at 19:48

3 miles recovery run tonight was hard
Much cooler but still sweating!
Oh dear (see above)

PS I didn't join Els for her post race cake either (couldn't stomach even the thought of it) ... Each to his or her own

10/06/2013 at 20:13

Great reports you guys Sounds like another one to add to the 'to-do' list. Welcome to the darkside OH.... Elspeth, that's the Ultrarunner in you, not content with 30 miles you had to do some extra

3 mile recovery in my new Hoka clown shoes! Very bouncy indeed and my legs were absolutely fine

10/06/2013 at 20:35

MrsMac "my legs were absolutely fine"
Surely that's an understatement! (I've seen the FB picture! )

10/06/2013 at 20:52

Great reports OH and Elspeth. Impressed that you ran today OH.

Good Pilates class. No running tomorrow as older daughter performin in 'Oliver' at school.

10/06/2013 at 22:34

CC - we were in a B&B and arrived quite late at start as our minibus time was 8.15. Thought I spotted you a little earlier but was too shy to say hello! Had plenty of water but got sick of drinking warm water by the end, had left a pouch of Capri sun juice at the car but annoyingly it leaked all the way up the big hill.

Haven't even tried to run - cycled round Scapa tonight, don't want to end up with injury again and a few blisters need to heal. Anyhow got called in to work for a while this evening and youngest daughter home for hol so all go tonight!

Mrs Mac - I fancy a pair of those shoes but not sure if they'd be wide enough for me. Look nice.

10/06/2013 at 22:35

Oops been posting as Peter again!

11/06/2013 at 06:39

Morning

Some more good reading to do I see.

Belated 'Well Dones' to all who deserve it

11/06/2013 at 19:44

The Hokas are 'interesting'! Ran 6 miles in them tonight and really noticed the bounce when going downhill. Felt like I was on springs

12/06/2013 at 07:12

Morning

Bit dreich when out, smiry rain.

12/06/2013 at 11:04

heavy rain cold gray - winter's back!

(but rest day planned today - kayaking yesterday evening)

12/06/2013 at 17:29

the weather isn't too bad on the east coast but last night was just like winter. we had to stick the lights on at tennis it was so overcast.

well done to all those that ran the longer distances this weekend. feel a bit inadequate running the 10k after all those reports.

a bit robbed on sunday as well as it turns out that the course at the Montrose 10k may have been a little short. did think that my time was a little on the low side but Mrs LB still ran a 10k PB even after adding some time on for the missing metres.

7 miles yesterday morning. need to start upping the mileage again for the dundee half at the end of next month.

12/06/2013 at 18:04

Longbow - nothing in adequate about running a 10k - they are fast and scary! Well done to you and Mrs LB

Being lazy this week in attempt to let legs recover for Hoy half at the weekend. It may not work! Instead a couple of hours on the bike round the west coast with youngest daughter who is home for the week. A nice change, the sun tried to come out but then changed it's mind but we got home before the rain.

12/06/2013 at 18:32

Sunny this evening here in Dundee, but quite windy near the river. 

Off work until Monday now. Hoping to try a couple of new routes while I'm off.

12/06/2013 at 20:08

Same here longbow, you won't catch me doing a 10K, FAR too scary Well done on the PB.

That sounds like some nice quality time with your daughter Elspeth

Hope you manage to not fall asleep until after the class cragchick

Enjoy your time off Alison

12 miles on the tready tonight because I couldn't be bothered  battling the wind.

12/06/2013 at 20:28

MrsMac Do you need to make sure you have sufficient headroom on the treadie with the Hokas?
Rest day today

13/06/2013 at 12:21

Decent weather here today

Out for meal tonight as it's oldest sons 21st Birthday today.

13/06/2013 at 18:30

Happy Birthday to the young bm.

Very sunny here this morning. Bought a disposable BBQ and food for it. A bit cloudy now, but still hoping it won't rain.

Short run this afternoon. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.