Scottish Runners

31,001 to 31,020 of 33,303 messages
05/05/2013 at 21:03

Welcome Iksander.

Good long running MrsMac, sounds like a great weekend.

Elspeth - not decided on recce date yet, May is looking very busy, June I've got my big race, prob have to be July at this rate !

Other Fling facts for the number crunchers amongst us  - the official WHW website puts Milngavie to Tyndrum at an estimated 35hrs walking time  - if you add their 'max' figures together for each stage - but they also say that doesnt account for food / rest breaks, or how heavy your pack is .

57.5 - I hadnt seen how expensive that Loch Ness race was. Prices seem to vary so much on races, it is hard to see what you are getting for your money sometimes.

8.2miles run today, then a 3m walk after lunch. All good ultra training .

05/05/2013 at 21:43

Welcome iksander.

Just over 7 miles today. Quite warm here.

05/05/2013 at 22:25
Joe Volcano wrote (see)

Just adding my welcome to iksander, we're a friendly bunch here! Do you do the strathy parkrun then? Good fast course but a bit dull. GSR has a wee hill at the start but I expect you know that already.

Thanks for the comments UTC!

I haven't yet joined up for a parkrun yet as a few months ago I didn't have the confidence and now I find myself using the weekend for my main long run.  I've started running the trails through Chatelherault so that I can do a bit of hill work. 

I work in Glasgow city centre so yeah I'm familiar with the likely course.  The GSR will be my first official race so quite excited even if it is mass participation.

06/05/2013 at 08:13

Morning

Just in a for a nosey over coffee

06/05/2013 at 10:10

Elspeth been posing as me again, I see

Haar slowly clearing here after our one afternoon of sunshine, just heading out for 6/7 miler on taper for CW next week

Welcome Iksander

06/05/2013 at 10:32

morning

off work for the bank hol today.

great day marshalling yesterday at the triathlon. tiring day though. Bf did well, a little slower than normal (for him) on the run as he'd twisted his knee at the hill race on Saturday but still was 10th out of 200!!! Smart arse.... his friends were 2nd, 5th and 11th... hmmmm.

long-ish run planned again today, after proper clear up of the flat.

good luck with the Half training Lee Anne..

I've just bought some new pedals for my road bike - with same cleats as my new triathlon shoes so my next race should be fun... need to get fit and booked up!!! (Need some sprints, only booked for the Olympic distance and the Half IM for the year!)

Right... coffee and cake time 1st it's a bank holiday after all

06/05/2013 at 13:54

Enjoy the cake UTC - thats an impressive set of results from your bf and his pals , were they blocking everyone else in or something?

Was the race in Pollok Park? I saw there was a race going on yesterday afternoon when I drove past, but wasnt sure what it was. Some speedy boys at the front though !

Had a good run this morning and got in 12m round the park, bit wet but not too cold. Housework to do now, and a load of stuff to package up for delivery. Courier coming this evening, and hopefully he won't destroy any more of the neighbouring tree with his massive truck, like he did last time !

06/05/2013 at 14:57

Hi All, Been a bit busy.

OK main news is that the QUIZ NIGHT has been PUSHED OUT TO 19th JUNE. Same venue, same time same price.Various circumstances have conspired plus I have some time constraints and want to make sure it is a good night so taking the extra few weeks will ensure that.

Welcome back Joe and welcome Iskander

UTC - great result from your BF

Off up to Aberdeen this evening. Need to kick start back into my training this week too.

06/05/2013 at 15:00

Meant to say, I did not mean to underplay the Fling finish. I just have this tendency to tuck my tail between my legs when I am so far back in the field. But yes, it was an achievement to finish especially when so many did not, including some seasoned ultra and fling runners.

A firedn was up on the Rowardennan to Inversnaid section this weekend and had some vertigo issues. It was not until she posted some photos I realised why. Just as well my brain was mush by then. I did not notice some of the drops down to the loch

06/05/2013 at 17:30

Its always a good idea not to look down .

Good luck in Aberdeen FFB.

06/05/2013 at 17:47

TP... what are the numbers like for the marathon in CW? 

06/05/2013 at 20:59

UTC - Cape Wrath:
Marathon numbers about 70 for solo + relayers (17x2p, 6x3p, 6x5p)
Asynchronous start with out and back means there's lots of folk you pass on the way.

6 mile run and 4.7nm paddle today

06/05/2013 at 21:42

I don't think they are doing the 5 person relay this year OH, something about too complicated logistics and costs etc on their website.

UTC - it won't be over-crowded anyway , but there are enough people going back and forth that there is always someone to say hello to .

06/05/2013 at 21:50

TP that is indeed correct for 2013

06/05/2013 at 22:16

I was thinking of doing Loch Ness as a last race before antarctica, but when I saw the price I rather changed my mind. I remember when it first started it was such good value. How do they justify that cost?

06/05/2013 at 22:21

My favourite Fling quote on one of the steep rocky bits above the loch. 4 young walkers are perched just above the trail getting out of my way, young man holding young lady who is wobbling and looking worried. Young man says "Look, I'd rather you fell in the Loch than he did". I was impressed, but she maybe not so much.

06/05/2013 at 22:33

Just popping to say 'hi' am not Scottish and I'd use the term 'runner' lightly but currently live on Mull and started  training for Loch ness today, can't remember how much it cost cos I'd sample one too many single Malts when I did it

So yes, drinking can damage your health

Oh am 53 and did 2 5k's in 2010 and just picked up unning again last July.

07/05/2013 at 06:35

morning all

thanks guys... am sure I'll be fine, just dont want to be left behind

off out for a run now as its so nice out... back to work today (again..)

have a good day everyone!

07/05/2013 at 07:57

beautiful day out... hope everyone manages out for a run today. Think I'll be out again later!!

07/05/2013 at 09:09

Morning Tri

Cracking day as you say.

Andi; Welcome to the madhoose.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.