Scottish Runners

31,141 to 31,160 of 33,307 messages
20/05/2013 at 12:39

Back from my camp at Loch Morlich and I had a great time! I went hiking, windsurfing, canoeing and mountain bile riding but not running...

Looking forward to catching up with the news.

20/05/2013 at 18:36

LeeAnne, Loch Morlich sounds amazing!! My kind of thing totally! A week off running wont have done you any harm with all that activity.

I am shattered today so taking a rest day, other than cycling to/from work. Enjoy your rest as well TP.

Bf did Jura last year and weather was very warm. I on the other hand went for a cycle, a sea swim, a run... and another sea swim. It was amazing.... we also did some lovely hikes. Really looking forward to going again!! Last year we stayed in Tayvallich for a night but wont need to do that this year as we know the guy who takes you over on a rib for £20.

Ooh and our mortgage was approved... so we move end of June!! Exciting times!!

20/05/2013 at 18:42

Evening

Tri: Great news re your mortgage.

20/05/2013 at 19:22

Great running Cape Wrathers Yet again sounds like an amazing week.

UTC, I love the idea of the Jura Fell race. Great news on the mortgage

I had a great race at the weekend. Ran steady for the first 15 miles then slowly picked my way through the field. Couldn't believe it when they told me I was first lady An absolute cracker of a race, would thoroughly recommend it. Very tired now though

20/05/2013 at 20:07

NrsMac- amazing performance! No wonder you're tired!

UTC - wouldn't have had the energy for a run today I don't think. We had a lovely walk all round Faraidh head and saw some primula scotica before a swim on the beach and heading home yesterday. Jura will be lovely, hope the weather is nice - and watch out for sheep ticks!

Lee Ann - sounds nice!

Brief report from CW

Arrived Sat evening and couldn't find our accommodation, was at back of craft village but separate entrance, really nice conversion and a lovely sunset over Loch Croispol to welcome us. Lazy day with some walks on Sunday.

Monday's half was pretty nervous, first race back after injury and forecast wet and windy. Happily the rain held off more or less for the duration of the race and the wind was behind us all the way up Loch Eribol. Started slowly to see how I was going, overtook a few between 2 and 4 miles and then quite a solitary run after that as no one else I could possibly catch! Cimb at the head of the Loch was relatively easy but last 3/4 mile got the full force of the wind however couldn't complain as had it easy before that. Really pleased to finish in just under 1.54, faster than last year but probably due to the wind.

Just after most folk got in the heavens opened and stayed like that rest of the day, kept promising myself a walk to stretch the legs once it was drier but it never happened and next thing it was the pub quiz. My only win of the week  our team won! Mostly due to the other team members it must be said!

Tuesday was the hill run but since I'm meant to be being sensible with my injury I was marshalling - wet morning but everyone splashed along just fine and managed to stay warm and not send anyone the wrong way!

Wed I had been looking forward to but was worried it was going to be a quagmire underfoot - the round Durness mostly off road 10.4 miles. Actually the tracks were mainly quite reasonable and didn't sink into a bog as I'd feared. Running just behind a french man with a dog when we reached the cows which was a bit un nerving as they were right across the path and I hoped weren't feeling angry, they were OK but the dutch couple just ahead of me were really spooked by them and lost some ground so I had a bit of a race with them the rest of the way (they won on the last bit though). On down to the ferry and catching the wind in our faces made the next bit hard, then through the woods and onto golf course and up onto the headland before a welcome downhill and back up to the main road. The last hill was as bad as always but pleased that I didn't walk any of it and had a reasonable overall time.(For an old thing!).

20/05/2013 at 20:24

Thursday the beach race and marshalling again. Now it really wasn't my fault that I sent everyone the wrong way over the dunes. Was told vaguely where to stand but that M would be out to join me on the quad bike after giving the photographer a lift from the start. Unfortunately the runners got there first and I was in slightly the wrong place and had no idea which bit of dunes they were meant to go down. So everyone went different ways until M arrived about mid way and put the second half of the fiend right. Oh well it was meant to be a fun run! Lots of good costumes and a swim at the end. Brrr! Though the sun was out on Thurs.

Took the chance of a first ever trip to Sandwood Bay on Thurs afternoon, maybe a 9 mile walk not the best thing before Sat but the sun was out it was alovely walk though it was by no way the deserted beach I had imagined. The John Muir trust were there doing annual beach clean up and we ended up lugging a big bag of luggage back to their van 2.5 miles away! Peter wanted to have a second swim at sandwood but it was too rough for that to be sensible.

Quiet day on Friday but had managed to secure a relay team to do 15m on Sat which I was pleased about though sorry not to be doing the full marathon, I think it was the sensible decision at this stage. 6.30 start for me and 7.30 for Peter so we would meet about half way back from the Cape. VERY wet day with moderate winds, the road to the Cape was extremely wet, fully soaked feet after 2 minutes! One day I am going to try these sealskin socks! Out and running by 8am bizarrely meeting another Orkney runner on the bus - though not someone I know!

Pretty much head down and keep running all the way back from the lighthouse, the wind was better for us than the folk going the other way but very wet for the whole run. A steady though not fast run from me, the unaccustomed mileage of the week post injury making my  pace slow but ran it all. Back at the pier one of the boats had broken down but the little boat was keeping up with the flow of folk and soon at the other side and off again. Quite enjoyed the bit back to the hall as had some company to run with - 2.22 for my leg so not so great a time.

Best hot shower ever, some food and had said I'd drive down to ferry to see Peter come in, couldn't extract van from jam packed car park so started to walk instead, after a couple of miles got a lift with the first aid ladies so was there to see him off the boat. Followed on behind and fell in with a couple who were running slowly back, me jogging along in about 5 layers and getting rather hot! After a couple of miles the first aid ladies picked me up again so was back at finish to see Peter come in - with a 20 min better time than last year.

And so to the ceilidh and the end of a very long day!

20/05/2013 at 20:59

Well done ladies! You must feel great for achieving so much.

20/05/2013 at 22:54

Great report Elspeth.

Jura sounds great UTC, BF must be a machine with all these great runs. Hope you get good weather for the trip. Love Tayvallich myself so a night there is no chore!

Quite pleasant running today. Warm enough for a t-shirt at least.

21/05/2013 at 06:43

Morning

5M Steady on a cracking sunny and dry May morning here.

Some cracking reports.

Elspeth: Great report, enjoyed reading it.

MrsMac: Well done

21/05/2013 at 10:00

Morning

Off for a run soon, lovely day.

Great report Elspeth - that was so funny you sent them the wrong way on the beach run , the course is never accurately measured anyway, and people always do 'variations', so it just adds to the adventure .

MrsMac - enjoy a good rest after your win.

Hope everyone is making the most of the good weather.

21/05/2013 at 13:22

Great run MrsMac!

My Cape Wrath reports are over on 2013 Marathon Thread

TP yes the beach run was fun (even if a marshal added an additional spice to the course!)

Southern Beach Holiday now over but away to Island Dream next weekend (Skye!)

21/05/2013 at 19:03

wow, well done Mrs Mac, brilliant running. Is on my 'to do' list that one!

Great reports from CW, sounds like some tough conditions for running, let alone racing. Agree that running empty stretches on your own is not for everyone.

I love heading down to Loch Morlich - a favourite for biking with the kids.  Thinking of heading down with my mountain bike some time over next couple weeks. Thinking if I bike in through Rothiemurcus I can probably do some running up in the Lairig Ghru and still get back in time to do school pick-up etc etc!

21 miles for me yesterday around and through the middle of Culbin. Managed to combine running over mud flats at low tide and wading through stinky stagnant calf-deep puddles!!  Got thoroughly bored of the flatness though so finished it off with some hill reps up hill 99. I never thought I'd say I LIKE running hills!!  And 8 on the beach for me today.

One month until the SDW Race TP - I did enjoy that one last year, despite being rather under-trained. They do organise their events well.

Right, kids to be sent to bed and Pilates to teach

21/05/2013 at 19:04

we are hoping to head to Skye this weekend.

Jura Fell Race - hard core!! Would love a bash at it one year

21/05/2013 at 19:15

cragchick, you'd love the Cateran, its got a bit of everything. Over 6000 feet of hills Enjoy Skye

Elspeth, that really made me laugh, you sending people the wrong way Great to hear you're back running strong again.

Some great pictures of you both on Facebook OH & Elspeth

Sounds like a nice run bm

Ah, wearing T-shirts 57.5. Fond but distant memories.....

Wee 4 miler tonight. Legs appear to be working

21/05/2013 at 19:44

well done Mrs Mac, awesome stuff. elspeth, hope you enjoyed the experience.

21/05/2013 at 21:33

evening

lovely 7 miles tonight... gorgeous run and great to relax after work. Legs still a little heavy but much better than yesterday. 

Great running CC... enjoy Skye!! Have yet to visit there!

OH, great report... and great pics on FB!! 

Am marshalling at Kilpatricks Hill race tomorrow so hopefull get a run in before work.. meant to run this morning but slept in so glad to get a good run in tonight.

22/05/2013 at 06:45

Morning

4.5M Steady. Not a bad session, the  sun was just breaking through the clouds when out

MissB has been chosen to compete for her class in the school sports High Jump.

22/05/2013 at 08:08

Nothing but work for me since getting home

BUT I seem to have been talked into a trip to Stornoway for the HM there on Sat, I must be mad, 4 ferry trips in one weekend. What I didn't realise was it involved a visit to Inverness for the others to shop on the way home! YUK. But not much I can do about it as it's 3 or 4 of us going.

Better go for a run today then

CC want full report from Dirty Thirty as want to do it sometime!

22/05/2013 at 08:18

Another 7 miles this morning. Lovely out. 

Off to work now....

Marshalling duties later.

22/05/2013 at 08:46

Great report Elspeth, enjoy Stornoway. Never realised their Half Marathon was this Saturday.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.