Scottish Runners

31,421 to 31,440 of 33,449 messages
23/06/2013 at 12:01

Morning all, looks like the bike race is going up Gt George St, that should be good to watch I get out of breath just walking up it.

23/06/2013 at 20:31

Thanks UTC. I'm sure you'll do fine at Ullsawater - you do lots of training.

Terrible weather here today. Did a short run, only 4 miles, and avoided the worst of the rain. Hope it was better for the cyclists in Glasgow.

23/06/2013 at 20:53

WHW supporting - what a fantastic but emotionally/physically draining experience! My runner was going too fast for support at Bridge of Orchy - you must be 4 hours behind the leader As a result she took a mental dip and I had to work hard to get her fired up again after Glencoe. Her 'A' goal was 22 hours and 'B' was 24 hours. She finished on 22.42 and was 5th lady Put me right back in the mood to run the WHW race after last years DNF

23/06/2013 at 21:03

Thanks Alison... here's hoping.

The Cycling was AWESOME today!!!! We were out all day watching the men and women... started in west end and finished the day at the finish in Glasgow Green. (Feel like we walked miles... phew!!). The weather held well but the DNF rate showed how hard the course must have been!!! 23/50 finished in the women's race... 20/130 finished in the men's!!!!!!

Cav sprinted to the finish in the men's race and Lizzie Armitstead beat Laura Trott in an attack on the last lap in the women with Dani King in 3rd. Joanna Rowsell fought back to take 4th from Emma Trott leaving her in 5th.

Fantastic day, such a cracking atmosphere, met loads of friends around the town and it was just cool to have all traffic cleared for the event!! Amazing day. Cant wait for the Games next year now

23/06/2013 at 21:06

well done on supporting WHW MrsMac!! Cant imagine how tough that one must be... even supporting!! 

24/06/2013 at 06:54

Morning

Lots to catch up on.

24/06/2013 at 08:02

UTC, glad you enjoyed it. I watched the first two laps half way up Gt George St and it seemed to me the mens field was already well broken up by lap 2.

It was great having the roads closed again like they were for the West End festival recently, perhaps they should have one of those permanent 'no cars on Sunday schemes'?

24/06/2013 at 14:18

Good racing Alison, and well done in your support role MrsMac, that was a really good time for your friend . I always fancied doing some support / crewing until it dawned on me that it is probably harder than actually just running yourself....unless of course you just go to the pub instead of the checkpoints .

Tricia - nothing much to worry about on a race in the dark in the countryside (apart from conjuring up spooky bits!). I would be more concerned if it was through a Glasgow park at night, I have to admit, but in the country I have generally always felt a lot safer (fewer chances for nutters / opportunists to be hanging about mainly).

Good luck with Ullswater UTC, that is a lovely place. Not exactly flat for your ride or run stage though, so the swim might be the least of your worries  (bad Tiger !!). It will be lovely scenery though !

Well, whilst some of you were out watching the cycling yesterday afternoon I was in the cinema watching World War Z . Actually quite enjoyed it, had been dreading the whole Hollywood take on the zombie movie, being a fan of the low budget versions, but it was fascinating to see how they had used the street scenes shot in Glasgow a couple of years ago. Really weird seeing car crashes and tonnes of people running across George Square (which was supposed to be Philadelphia).

Lots of lengthy dialogue scenes had most of the audience leaving to get yet more food to stuff their faces with (2hr film and they cannot not eat? ) interspersed with very good action sections that were loud enough to drown out the cacophony of sweetie wrappers and munching . Don't think I will be going to the cinema again for a while, £11.10 for a premier seat, in a tiny auditorium, squashed against the wall and surrounded by pigs at the trough oinking over their mobiles , it has got to be a special film to put up with all that!!

4.5m recovery run on Saturday (hurt!!!) and good cycle this morning (didn't hurt!!) .

24/06/2013 at 17:50

the course profile TP says the cycle is pretty much flat!! (better be as that was the reason I chose it!!! and the run also. 

The cycle has only 100m climb over the distance. Fingers xd.

Off out for a cycle once bf gets home. Waiting til half 6 to let the most of the commuters get off the roads

24/06/2013 at 18:05

That's good UTC - the road round the west side of Ullswater is a little 'undulating' but nothing too major  (I've only ever driven it though!). The opposite side (track, no road) I've ran a few times, and that is a stunningly good trail run with some steep climbs. Just depends where they take you I guess! Enjoy your cycle, nice night for it.

24/06/2013 at 20:26

UTC - the cycling sounds exciting! Good luck for Ullswater

Alison - well done with the race

Mrs Mac - good job done with your supporting - got to be pretty hard job. Still having done it yourself you know what's needed.

Fed up with my legs only being good for short distances - 10 miles Yesnaby to almost Stromness and back along the cliffs with Peter this morning. Scenic yes but maybe a bit too near the cliff edges in places for me and definitely too many bonxies(skuas to non Orkney folk), got dive bombed a few times though they stayed away from Peter. Gave up trying to do the last little bit as just too many electric fences which we had to crawl under!

Refuelled we then decided to try out the new swimming pool which opened at the weekend. Big improvement both in facilities and massively increased opening hours. Just a pity had no energy left to swim!

Back at work for a rest tomorrow (maybe not the rest). Looking forward to Harris Half in just under a fortnight - return to old ground - we had a lot of holidays there when kids were small.

24/06/2013 at 20:28

TP - good going being back running and cycling so soon.

24/06/2013 at 22:13

cracking ride again tonight through Strathblane... a bit windy in places but LOVED it and starting to feel more comfortable on steeper sections downhill (uphills are no bother I can grind away for a good bit!!) and on corners. Great fun,  tough but awesome training for the tri!!! Beautiful night as well. A bit cooler than last week but still just a cycle top, shorts and a light jacket and was fine!

OW swim in the morning and run (longish, easy) tomorrow night.

Thanks Elspeth, think I will need the luck!!

The Harris Half sounds lovely!! definitely somewhere I will visit as soon as logistics allow.

Bed is calling me soon...

TP it is the north east we are racing on, near Penrith. 

24/06/2013 at 23:18

Another blog entry here

Loads to catch up on again. Will read back through.

I had to abandon my long run on Saturday after 8 miles. I was just hurting. I think it was the after effects of my falls earlier in the week. So, I am now going to have to risk a 20 miler this weekend just 2 weeks before Clyde Stride.

25/06/2013 at 06:37

Morning

Younger son safely returned from Stornoway yesterday after 10 days away.

4M Steadily done. Some schools finish tomorrow for the summer hols. Our lot finish on Thursday.

Tri: Glad you enjoyed the cycling, just couldn't make it. Sound a good cycle last night.

Alison: Good racing,

25/06/2013 at 08:01

morning BM

lovely swim in Bardowie Loch this morning. It was like glass as we approached. Had my best OW swim yet and really enjoyed it!! Next one planned for Thursday. 

Nice blog FFB!! Hope you recover quickly from your falls.

Right, best get ready or I will be explaining that I'm late for work because I was swimming in the local lake... Why more people dont do it, I dont know!!

25/06/2013 at 10:16

Nice run Elspeth - Eeeeek to the Bonxies!

UTC - I don't know the Penrith end, so I cannot wind you up about it, you will be glad to hear . Swimming sounds good (no I don't want to do it though ).

BM - school holidays already....I suspected it was soon as our local primary keeps having 'dress down and bring your toys days' .

Hope your bruises feel a bit better soon FFB, not nice to run feeling achy.

Talking of which, I am off to try out my legs again , just a short one.

25/06/2013 at 12:17

Afternoon all,

Good cycling tri.

Hope your son had agood time on Stornoway BM.

Off for some beach running tonight. Did strength session and abs at 5.45 this morning.

25/06/2013 at 13:21

end of term for us is next Friday ...

Am sure there must be some hills around Penrith

Wow to TP being 'back out there'

Big new pool sounds fab, less so the Bonxies!

Taper-tastic here, to the point of taking it a bit too far perhaps  ... think I need end of term too as currently shattered!

Rest day today, 5 easy tmrw and Thurs and then think that will be it until Sunday ...

25/06/2013 at 16:39

Enjoy the taper Cragchick - what is the race?

Did a nice slow 6miles today, good to be out in the fresh air as I was a bit climbing the walls, going okay on the flat but have a very ouchy ITB / knee thing going on whenever there is a change of slope .

I swear it was that last mile downhill into Eastbourne that did it  (nothing to do with the 97 before!). I could feel my knee going during that hideous descent. Some stretching and more cycling is probably the way to go at the moment I think.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.