Scottish Runners

31,441 to 31,460 of 33,580 messages
25/08/2013 at 07:35

Sorry to hear re your bf Tri.

FFB: Well done

Elspeth: Well done on your 20M

Rest Day today for yours truly

Cracking sunny start to the day up here, been out walking Geordie.

25/08/2013 at 08:12

Good to see youback up to long distances Elspeth.

Tri - broken collar bones are really uncomfortable. Mr FFB broke his a few years back coming off a bike. He had a lot of discomfort and still gets both er with it I'm afraid to say.

25/08/2013 at 09:13

Well done FFB - that's a great time . Kind of throws the theories about tapering for 3wks out of the window a bit?

Cycling for me today, just a short one as I'm pretty tired after yesterdays run, but more because I hardly got any sleep. Must have been a full moon last night, just seemed to be constant noise outside !

25/08/2013 at 10:39
Well done Speysiders! Great time FFB! Want to be there next year for sure!

Sunny here for a change, may take bike out too - but not far.
25/08/2013 at 14:07

That was a fine day for running on the Speyside Way, the rain stayed off and the wind was minimal. I surprised myself with a 4:53:45 and paced it really well, feeling good enough after Ben Aigan to keep an 8 minute mile pace. Had the incentive of slowly catching another runner over the last few miles and managed to take him on the hill up to the finish. Worth the effort as it turned out that won me 3rd male vet.

Saw a few familiar faces when leafing through the books of photos from previous years (Elspeth, UTC, cragchick).

Glad you had a good day FFB, hope tricialitt had the same positive experience.

Get well soon UTC's BF!

25/08/2013 at 16:12

Well done on the placing 57.5. It sounds like the race went well for a lot of people.

Nice day here, very warm this afternoon, ended up taking the road bike on a 50mile jaunt as it was so nice (rare to get such minimal wind on my route). Chatted to quite a few cyclists out and about, managed some good drafting , taking it in turns, and had a good fast ride, felt really good.

Lots of newbies out looking like they were getting ready for Pedal for Scotland (some of them had the shirts on), caught and passed one poor chap on the really steep hill out of Galston who had to keep stopping, he finally keeled over the front of his bike like he was going to have a heart attack . Quite a few of their dangerous antics (killing themselves to overtake, then stopping right in front of you ) on a busy fast main road, reminded me why I will never enter that event!!! I had quite a good long endurance sprint with a more experienced older chap who simply said to me 'they don't know what they are doing!' and we left it at that !

Hope you had good weather in Orkney too Elspeth .

25/08/2013 at 17:13
57.5 - Great time in Speyside!! And 3rd vet prize! From memory they had some nice prizes too! Had been warned about that hill at the end but I imagined it as a Hoy type hill, was quite insignificant really.

Feeling envious of your day. Really want to keep fingers crossed to do it next year!

TP nice cycle!

Only did about 20m myself but nice day for a cycle, quite warm but still a fair wind. Sea looked quite nice at Waulkmill but not warm enough to brave a dip!
25/08/2013 at 18:15

Don't know what they have for prizes as they gave them out at the Ceilidh, and I might be able to run well but I'm going to be in bed by 8.30pm after an Ultra! The prize pictures from last year looked impressive though.  That Buckie hill was certainly no Hoy finishing hill but it was well timed for overtaking.

Nice day here too but I spent most of the afternoon sleeping. It's my age...

25/08/2013 at 18:17

Well done 57.5 that was a great run

Bit sore and tired today. DOMS tomorrow will be interesting

25/08/2013 at 18:19

Wow, that's a great time for Speyside 57.5

Same to you FFB, you're going to be brilliant when you're big race comes

So glad to hear you're doing the long runs again Elspeth

Poor bf Sounds painful indeed. Glad you're getting set for next year UTC

TP, you're cat sounds hilarious

5 miles yesterday and 5 miles today. Everything feels fine....apart from a strange nervy thing in my foot. But I can run with it so all good

25/08/2013 at 18:26
57.5 - my Speyside run may have been slow but I did manage the ceilidh - even if it took the best part of an hour to find it (almost gave up and went home).

Look forward to your report FFB.

Mrs Mac - no stopping you!
26/08/2013 at 07:17

Lots to catch up on

Better do so.

26/08/2013 at 09:37

Rest day today - need to food shop later - spent too much time over weekend 'enjoying' myself, and ran out of food.

MrsMac - speedy return! I'm not surprised you have tingly feet, they have taken some punishment !

Good luck with your legs FFB.

So I saw a council bin lorry hit the back corner of a car parked in my street this morning , they just drove off.....should I go and put a note on their car? Couldn't see how much damage they did, but it was enough to lift the car up on one side !!! I guess it might help the person if they want to claim on the insurance.....

26/08/2013 at 17:41
TP - that's really bad re the bin lorry! We are fed up about having our wing mirror pranged every few weeks at the moment, only twice has culprit "owned up". Not good to run out of food!

Tired today but we did a wee 5.5 mile run around Mull head and the Covenanters memorial. First time I'd run it, tough enough though it shouldn't really be but couple of long uphill stretches in very long grass.

Mrs Mac - but are you still running round in 400m circles? Glad you're recovering well.
26/08/2013 at 18:24

Yes TP (see Elspeth's comment re our wing mirrors)
Did you get a registration number?
Even if not the council should know which van has been operating in your area today (if they play decently).

I found the short run with Elspeth tough too.

Polis to MrsMac "Can you walk in a straight line, ma'am?"

26/08/2013 at 18:46

Not a million miles away Elspeth! I have only just managed to stop taking off out my bed thinking I've to start running again!

That is bad TP. They are probably hoping no-one saw them.

26/08/2013 at 20:06

Not much luck re. the bin lorry as it was all dirty at the back so the reg. was totally obscured (another offence?), and when I went out to check out the parked car they had already left - I will have to see if they come back later. However, I have all the details written down so if it is reported at any point and the cops come around I will be able to tell them what happened. The car was parked on a corner across a keep clear however, so whether they will be keen on telling the cops is another matter! They may just write it off as bad luck.

Hard run route today OH and Elspeth!

My mega report writing session is now complete - first draft anyway! I had better send it in before I fritter with it any more!

Whisky now required...brain going  doolally!!!

27/08/2013 at 06:40

4.5M Steady off road. Darker this morning,

Mind you I was out about 30mins or so earlier than normal.

I enjoy morning outings.I have done so for 29 years now, since I started regular morning running way back in Aug 1984.

Lovely contrast between the sky in the east with the sun rising and the darker sky of the west.

Catch up time

Back later

27/08/2013 at 14:02

Hi all. I have a blog entry here. Not my race report, but something inspired by conversations with a friend.

27/08/2013 at 14:25

FFB - that has made me laugh a lot.

Reminds me of conversations with my mother too! 'Why are you breaking yourself' - I'm not, I've trained for years in various sports and have always followed a progressive training plan - ultra running has not just come out of nowhere!

I think people that never exercise think you just jump in and run a marathon on no training or something.....they don't see all the hours and effort that have gone into it .

BM - you should find something special to celebrate next year - 30 years of running .

8 miles for me this morning, steady pace, no pain .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.