Scottish Runners

31,641 to 31,660 of 33,560 messages
14/10/2013 at 12:07

Happy anniversary BM. Good to see you back.

Good training UTC. Allotment starting to look more like I want it to now - did quite a lot of landscaping yesterday, shovelling soil around and building terrace supports - which is why my back is aching today!

My plot is on a hill slope which also has a camber running through it ...sounds like just about every ultra I've done!!!

14/10/2013 at 14:26

Perfect plot for hill reps and cross country training then... but I guess the laps might be a bit short.

14/10/2013 at 14:57
Well as 57.5 was abroad exploring Paris I was travelling to foreign parts - Callander!

Had a smooth journey down apart from a senile moment where I forgot which B&B I was booked into but fortunately remembered what street, had a short walk to the local waterfall and a pub meal and slept well.

Breakfast and went off to meet FFB - at the end of the street and off to Kilmahog to meet her friend ultragannet. We were to have a run in luxury as Mr FFB was supporting at intervals with his car so no need to take too much with us. Lovely still sunny autumn day, a little cold to begin with but after FFB modelled her Antarctic mask we set off along the cycle path to Strathyre. Lovely quiet path, lots of autumn colours for us northern tree deprived folk. Was a bit worried about lasting the miles with recent lack of fitness and being in the presence of serious ultra folk but they were kind to me and we trundled along to Strathyre enjoying the views and chatting.

Brief stop at Strathyre for some sweets and finally got my bloomin garmin to work, off again on the little road via Balquidder to Kingshouse. Some more lovely views and really enjoying the run. We met a couple of other groups of folk out for a Glen Ogle recce/training run and had a chat. Again met Mr FFB who was enjoying tea and cake at Kingshouse. Tempted by the tea so promised ourselves a reward on the return leg. Refuelled and off again over the old railway viaduct.

Again more lovely views after the steep bit up onto the viaduct then chugged steadily upwards to the top of Glen Ogle. Lots of walkers and cyclists out enjoying the sunshine. Really warm sunny day. Slightly longer stop at the top for some more refuelling and we began to get a little cold. So time to go again. Seemed to really fly back down the slope though I doubt we were going that fast, still lovely views and sunshine. Tiring a bit coming back to Kingshouse but the cup of tea was calling - loudly.

In the end sat outside in the sunshine demolishing tea and meringues the size of a small balloon for quite a while. Decided we wouldn't run all the way back to Kilmahog but stop at Strathyre which made it about 32.5 miles overall. Off again and well fuelled really enjoyed this bit, in contrast to when I did it at Glen Ogle when I struggled with that last leg.

From this I conclude that the secret to enjoyable ultra running is meringue power!

Finished up with steak pie at the Kilmahog Inn before being driven back to my B&B. Thanks due to FFB and the Patient Mr FFB for such an enjoyable day and really enjoyed meeting UG too.

Long day getting back home yesterday. With all the good weather south I wasn't expecting the bumpy boat ride we got home. Felt rather sickly for first 5 hours then it calmed down for the last hour.

Really good to hear all about FFB's fantastic year's training and her plans for Antarctica. Will be willing her on in 4 weeks time!
14/10/2013 at 15:49

57.5 - yesterday was wheel-barrow full of manure reps up the hill  - good incentive not to drop it all over myself !

Elspeth - well done. Sounds like more eating was done than running .

14/10/2013 at 16:47
TP - You're spot on! Except for the bit on the boat looking green!

Manure reps up the hill, I like it!!
14/10/2013 at 19:42

Sounds like you had a great run Elspeth I saw the pics on FB, looked lovely. Really sorry to have missed you this time but it just means you'll have to pop down again soon

Happy Anniversary BM

Your new cross-training regime sounds very 'interesting' TP

Running in Paris 57.5, lucky you *jealous*

15/10/2013 at 08:08

So, secret Ultra training tips:

1. Meringue.

2. Manure reps.

I think we may be onto something...

Paris does not provide ideal training, the achilles are suffering from the pounding of city streets and the massive Tarte de Myrtilles I ate last night is weighing heavily on the stomach. But there are a few more world famous tourist attractions to see than Nairn I guess .

15/10/2013 at 08:24

Morning again

Run later as still stuffed full from last nights dinner.

Coffee and catch up soon

MrsMac: Cheers.

15/10/2013 at 10:05

Just wrote an entry and it did not post.

Well done to everyone who ran well over the weekend.

Had a blast on Saturday with Elspeth and gannet. A fun day that was yes, slow, and involved lots of re-fuelling but that was exactly what I wanted. Elspeth was really motoring by the way. Left Gannet and I eating  her dust

Whilst the stop for tea and cake was a bit of a cheat it turns out it was a good idea. I just heard from another runner than in Antarctica the ultra runners tend to stop at the base camp to refuel, rest and warm up. So it was good to see that I could do a longish stop , eat and drink and then get going with no ill effects

I was tired on Sunday and busy yesterday which is why I have not done my race report yet, but I will get it done today.

Got a slightly sore knee, but that is down to my inner thigh being tight and not mechanical. My neck is also sore but that is down to working on work laptop and getting scrunched up.

I will pop back in later

15/10/2013 at 16:26
From a great run to the other extreme! Set off, half a mile along the road I'm stopped by a car to say a cyclist has had an accident half a mile further and can I go there. So I speed up a bit and do, poor lady on the ground, can't move her and ambulance is delayed by over an hour. So there we sit, then went in to hospital with her, two hours later I decide to give up on a decent run and jog 3 miles home to get warm again!

Now someone tell me I shouldn't enter this Perthshire ultra in Nov!
15/10/2013 at 16:28

In the great 'Meringue v's Manure' training debate the trick is clearly not to get your 'M's mixed up !

11m for me this morning, nice day for it.

15/10/2013 at 18:43

What Perthshire Ultra Elspeth??? That's an interesting run you had today Why did the driver not take you back to the casualty btw?!

That's exactly the way to do these long training runs FFB. Now I'm really annoyed at my doggie-sitter...missing the run was bad enough but missing CAKE!!

Ha ha TP, wise words!

15/10/2013 at 19:01
Mrs Mac - I did wonder that though he did have a lot of kids in the back!

The one you mentioned ages ago, sponsored by smartwool socks, can't remember the name. Interested? Not that far from home for you!

Should have brought Alfie in a backpack!
15/10/2013 at 19:16

Ouch Elspeth - I hope the cyclist was okay, I read about it on the news earlier, but no mention of your good deed! Hope you didn't get too cold.

Bedlam here tonight because it is the last football game before Hampden gets turned over to the Commonwealth people in order for the athletics track to be built ready for next year ! Wow that has rolled around quickly! So one last night of car chaos then we get a year of peace before the 'big event' .

16/10/2013 at 21:37

Blimey Elspeth - that was a bit of an adventure.

Finally, here is the report from Saturday

16/10/2013 at 21:58
CC - All sounds great training!

FFB - excellent report, sums up the day perfectly but I feel a wee bit guilty about us two speeding(relatively) off down Glen Ogle. I think it was gravity and the lure of tea! Great day out though!
17/10/2013 at 08:37

Dreich start to today

Mrs and Miss B are off to Edinburgh today to see The Lion King.

Lots to still catch up on I see.

17/10/2013 at 19:11

Great report FFB, those cakes looked great

Sounds like an action-packed tattie-holidays cragchick

Lucky Mrs & Miss B, did you not fancy it BM?

I forgot about that  race Elspeth! My memory's not what it was now I'm in my 40's Must remind myself about it....

Ran a hard 5 miles tonight and now feel totally wiped

17/10/2013 at 21:12
CC - he'll have a great time and Perth isn't so far away!

Mrs Mac - it gets worse in your 50s, I went off last weekend forgetting my bus timetable and the piece of paper I'd written the B&B name on and my phone ran out of charge. Luckily I remembered what street it was on and that the name began with A.

Back to earth with a bump with a fast (aka about 9mm) run with the group tonight. Much harder work but a lovely evening as the sun was setting. Only one more week before darkness for our group runs.

Still dithering about that ultra!
17/10/2013 at 23:25

Evening... up late tonight 

Wow cracking run Elspeth and FFB, great blog as ever FFB!!! 

Erm I forget things constantly so dont think it is age related... at least I hope not or else I'll be in real trouble in my old age....

Very little training while working at the start of the week but fantastic swim, short cycle, run and 3 classes today. So not all is lost but knackered now!!!!!!

BM hope the family enjoy!!

TP, allotment sounds like it is coming along well!! You are certainly putting the work in!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.