Scottish Runners

31,661 to 31,680 of 33,546 messages
02/08/2013 at 23:05

I just read the Scott Jurek book too. A really interesting story, though I've yet to cook a vegan recipe out of it.

Nice day for running today, if a bit breezy.

03/08/2013 at 08:26

Yes- the Scott Jurek book was good- not that I'm a vegan/ vegetarian either - I thought the comment along the lines that life is too short too chew through enough calories on a raw diet was funny! It is just interesting how someone gradually moves into a position of being an elite at a sport they never really meant to get into.

hoping for 18 miles today, just 3 weeks 'til speyside way.

03/08/2013 at 13:19

57.5: Not tried a recipe either, but a very good read.

04/08/2013 at 07:24

That's my younger son and his cousin off on The West Highland Way. Dropped them off at the start at Milngavie earlier.

04/08/2013 at 10:24

Morning all. Thanks for the recommendations for the Book. I will definitely read it. A friend just sent me a book about Antarctica. It is a collection of writings. He also enclosed a lovely postcard of a cover of a classic edition of Homer's Odyssey. Really thoughtful.

Not been a great week for me. Quite a tired week so shorter runs and sessions. I abandoned my long run in favour of the spin bike yesterday because my lower back is twinging It is still twinging today so I suspect I won't run today either. It is real pain because my body is crying out for a run.

04/08/2013 at 10:25

Oops forgot to say I hope the folks doing the devil have done well.

Also, another blog entry - a kit review of the Helly Hansen summer training kit.

04/08/2013 at 12:04

Hope the aches and pains don't linger ffb.

I was doing the WHW for the first time 31 years ago this month. Too much kit, too many midges, too little preparation, too much rain. Of course at that age we still loved it!

04/08/2013 at 13:26
Was 29 years ago for me 57.5, and in October. Only had 2 days of heavy rain, no midges too heavy camping gear and a rebellion when we ran out of food in Glencoe! Enjoyed it too.

Not head from TP yet how it went, hope was OK.

Just back from hols last night. Not much running, mixture of camping and hostel with a couple of B&B nights, mainly hot weather, hill walking and kayaking. Had fun. Two runs were good ones though, last 15 miles of the WHW last Tues - only 15 but still quite tiring and 7.5 miles round the shores of Durness yesterday, lovely despite the wind and getting lost.

Only down side the midges, clegs and sheep ticks!

Hope everyone well.
04/08/2013 at 13:27
Oops that was Elspeth not OH!
04/08/2013 at 14:53

Hi all

Back from Fort William after a very hard day out yesterday. I finished just outside the cut-off but they allowed me an 'official' finish time and I got a bottle of champagne as a prize for coming last! . They said they never strictly enforce the time anyway, as long as the person is moving at a reasonable rate and looks like they will finish before dark!

The weather threw just about everything it could at us, lashing horizontal rain all over Rannoch Moor (bleak as feck) and through Glencoe (spectacular what you could see of it), rain lashing like bullets at the side of my hood. Then just over the last leg from Kinlochleven where I thought I could make up a bit of time, the wind changed direction and was battering us face -on and I could barely move forward. So hard in that weather, couple of folks with early hypothermia, I got a total soaking in Glencoe, dripping legs and feet, but luckily made the decision to stop and put my waterproof trousers on before the climb over the dreaded 'Devil' as the wind and exposure on the top was horrific. Lots of soaked miserable looking hillwalkers with huge packs along this bit. All the streams were raging torrents and most of the stepping stones completely submerged, so I ended up just running through the rivers - the paths were all rivers anyway so it made no difference.

Ran just behind Robin, Anne and their support runner for quite a while, in fact we were passing each other on and off throughout the course, until they finally left me behind about 7m from the finish and I hobbled / speed marched my way in with the two sweepers. Robin waited for me at the finish line and even he said what a hard run it had been in the weather conditions.

My knee is completely f*cked, swollen on both sides now, really bad ITBS. I was gritting my teeth and cursing on the downhills and I think the sweepers thought I was going to drop (not that you could, because it was the middle of nowhere), but once onto the final descent into Fort willie the path got a lot easier. I was having to hobble with a straight leg over some of the rocks and steep steps because I couldn't bend my right knee and every rock was pain jarring through it. Pushing against the wind in the final bit really knackered it and then I only had one working leg to balance on over the rocks.

Very glad to see Fort William appearing on the horizon, and just as we were near the end the sun came out! Suddenly boiling both myself and the female sweeper stopped to take our waterproof trousers off! A really great race, and dare I say I 'enjoyed' it , the dramatic scenery alone and the scale of the place when you are alone on foot is just incredible, but the weather makes it so so tough. I have climbed bigger hills, ran longer routes, and sometimes over rougher paths, but its the toughness of the terrain combined with the weather conditions that completely do you in. The people that used to farm and live up in these hills must have been bloody tough that's all I can say!

Sitting at home now in the warm with the sun shining through the window like a Summers day its hard to believe what we all had to run through yesterday.

04/08/2013 at 15:08

Well done TP! hope the damage isn't too bad, sounds like an amazing day! Hope you are soon fighting fit again too, ffb.

I've never done the WHW- am NOT good with midges, - that's my excuse for not entering the DOTH! ( that , and the fact that I'm a wimp). hopefully Speyside way will be midge - free, being on east side!

Managed 19 miles yesterday, feeling OK today, think I'll do a pair of 10/11 mile back- to backs next weekend, then taper for Speyside.

04/08/2013 at 15:14

If there were any midges around yesterday - they would have all drowned!

04/08/2013 at 17:16
Well done TP!!! Tough conditions for you, you just never know what you'll get in Scotland. We had a lovely sunny day on the KLL to FW bit last Tues though a bit of a headwind. Glad you enjoyed it and really wish I'd been fit enough for it. Guess you never got that ice cream at Kinlochleven though.
04/08/2013 at 20:07

Evening all

Just about caught up with all the goings on!!

Good going FFB on the blogs... glad to hear you are continuing with your challenge!! 

TP well bloody done on the Devil, regardless of time or place it sounds like a hellish day for a race so you did exceptionally well to finish!!!

Tricia, I dont remember midges being an issue last year at Speyside, but then it did rain for most of the day

Completed the Bardowie Loch swim festival. I actually FINISHED an OW swim event!!! (Having attempted Great Swim in 2009, Edinburgh Swim Festival last year and the Oly Tri this year all of which I did not finish the full courses of the swim, I was DELIGHTED to finish the 1km loop and was NOT LAST!!!!) Bf was 3rd in the 5km!!!!! (Smart arse). There was also a 2km which I could have entered but just wanted to prove I could have an enjoyable swim AND finish it, so opted for the shortest one.... and I LOVED it!! Next up.... still to decide but there's definitely more where that came from!

Have also done more gym, swim and bike lately. Very little running. Just dont have any desire to run. However, I won a competition on FB (Scottish Running Guide) where I won some trainers, shorts, vest, socks, gels and a free entry to Edinburgh Marathon Festival.... so looks like I have had my 2013 marathon chosen for me....a PB maybe???? Haven't really always heard great things about Edinburgh but as its free...??? It will also kick start the training as well.

Off til Thursday so planning an early run tomorrow before lots of other stuff. Hope everyone's had a good weekend. TP, hope that knee is being well rested!

04/08/2013 at 20:54

Elspeth - no ice cream unfortunately, just too wet . I consoled myself sitting in the back of the car with a flask of tea and Jamaica ginger cake , then the problem was forcing myself out of the car back into the hideousness .

Good swimming UTC, well done. Definitely take the Edinburgh place as its free, that is quite a haul of prizes .

04/08/2013 at 22:01

That sounds like the weather we got in Glencoe in 1982 TP, and after camping in it at the bottom of the Devil's Staircase I can guarantee that midges don't drown! Great job in surviving all those miles in that weather. I do remember Jamaica Ginger Cake featuring high on the 1982 hiking diet!

I also did the WHW in 1984 Elspeth, but in the height of that glorious summer. The only problems that year were sunburn and clegs, clegs, clegs. There was vitually no water coming down after the Staircase so we pitched the tent on a nice, flat, soft dried out bog.

Nice evening run for me tonight on Clava Moor, south of the big railway viaduct near Inverness. Great views of the Cairngorms, Rosshire, Sutherland and the Moray Firth. They just need to join up the stalking paths, estate roads and forest roads so I don't have to bog hop to make a loop.

Well done on the swim UTC.

04/08/2013 at 22:26

Oh, I finally signed up to do some 'proper' races. Speyside Way Ultra as a warmup for the Moray Marathon 8 days later. Given that I have not done over 16 miles since the Fling this may be ambitious but I've been running plenty miles and PBed Lochaber Marathon 15 days after a 56 miler. See you there tricialitt.

04/08/2013 at 22:26

Well done TP and UTC.

Really pleased that you're going ahead with the Antarctic challenge ffb. Hope your back is improving.

Did the parkrun yesterday - first time for about 2 months. Quite slow. Ran today; quite hot here, and started at about 11.30 - probably not the best time on a hot day.

Have entered the Forfar 10k on 18th August - anyone else doing it or done it before?

05/08/2013 at 06:56

Morning, wow busy thread

3.5M Off road and threw in a few hills. Dry, warm no wind

Well done TP and UTC

Now catch up over coffee.

05/08/2013 at 07:05

West Highland Wayers

Boys had sore feet when I met them yesterday. They'd done 25 miles by 4pm after starting out at 6:30am. They were aiming for another 3 to reach a bothy, but the next part was a hard part along banks of Loch Lomond. Loch Lomond was really busy yesterday.

Oh and £3 to park at car park at Rowardenen ?! Eh ?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.