Scottish Runners

21 to 40 of 33,209 messages
03/01/2003 at 14:35
Hi Robert

Well I'm in Aberdeen and definitely Scottish. I agree there's not a lot of Scots about on the forums and most of the events discussed are English based.

I'm aiming for a spring Marathon as well and thought about Paris though suspect I'm too late now (I was rejected for London).

Aberdeen does have some races apart from the annual 10K which is easily the biggest.

There was meant to be a 3K today organised by Aberdeen Metro Runners which I assume went ahead at Aberdeen Beach. But as it's been snowing I decided to give it a miss.

Check out the following websites if you're based in the North of Scotland and want to find some races:
http://www.metro-aberdeen-rrc.co.uk
http://www.cosmics.org.uk/hillbasher/

Cheers
PPB.

03/01/2003 at 14:36
Another runner freezing her socks off in Inverness. I had tried for London but didn't get in (again) so I'm going to do a few halfs (Inverness, Mid Argyll and Glasgow are definites) and then do the Loch Ness Marathon again in September.

I've been laid low with the nasty Xmas cold/flu bug, so I haven't run since Christmas Day. It's pretty slippery out there today (got as far as the dustbin with some rubbish), so I would probably not be running today anyway, but looking out across the firth to Ben Wyvis and the hills beyond, covered with snow and bathed in beautiful winter sunlight has me longing for a good tramp in the hills. Pity climbing the stairs is still a challenge that leaves me coughing my lungs up - ho hum.
03/01/2003 at 15:41
I agree totally with original thread the mag good as it is does seem to be aimed at predominatly England, office workers and those competing in the london marathon, but maybe by continually making them aware of our neglect through the web-site then we shall see some improvement.
Open up our own forum would be a start.

Reside in Balloch Loch Lomond
03/01/2003 at 16:06
Totally agree Robert,

I'm Secretary at Greenock Glenpark Harriers and have tried on several occassions to attract new runners via this forum, without success.

We're having a club race tomorrow if you're interested?
03/01/2003 at 17:29
Would be good if we could have Scottish Runners as a seperate topic on the forum menu page. If anyone from RW reading then can this be arranged?
03/01/2003 at 18:48
I live in Scotland but most of the time i am just an interested observer on this forum as most of the converstaion seems to be regarding road races in England, mile times and paces whereas of the 40 or so races i did last year only 4 were road races. You can probably tell from my nickname what my favourite running terrain is!!! The most interesting thing i find about reading the forum is the large number of questions regarding hill running or training. Theres no escaping it where i live.
03/01/2003 at 18:49
That should read conversation. We hill runners can't spell.
03/01/2003 at 19:42
Hi Everyone

Not Scottish, but been living here 3 years. Love it, fab running, but distinct lack of races/or far between. Agree with the comment that RW mag concentrates on SE and on London marathon.

Ladies, am entered for Smokies (3rd time) First few miles hilly, but not too bad. Great race, lovely tea for free afterwards. Last year was held in May due to snow - great day, wish it was the same this year! Am with Lothian RC, hope to see you there.
03/01/2003 at 20:31
I'll wave the flag for Morayshire, although I'm originally from Glasgow. If I may rant for a sentence or so, I've always wondered for years why RW has always missed out listing Scottish races, advising to contact the SAF or Run & Become. The fixture information is easily available. In the bad old days when it was Running magazine and I wasn't in the know, I was forever scaning the fixtures list in the Glasgow Herald on a Saturday morning to plan the weekend - so much for planning racing in advance!

In this particular bit of the North East we've got quite a good race calendar - see the Moray Road Runners, Forres Harriers or Garioch Road Runners web pages for details. I'm thinking of doing the Loch Ness Marathon this year after good feedback from friends and on the Forums. (I've said it now, there's no going back!)
04/01/2003 at 00:23
I've just moved to Perth and am interested in contacting a local running club. I know that Perth Roadrunners exist but can't find a webpage or contact.
Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
04/01/2003 at 14:44
Hi Saran, looking forward to doing the ladies 10 mile smokies race and may see you there.

To Matthew, can't help you re Perth Roadrunners, you could try another website address and click the links page it might come up that way, I think Perth is a very beautiful part of Scotland, enjoy finding good running routes.
04/01/2003 at 15:08
Thanks Jane for your reply, i have tried looking for the perth roadrunners site, looking at links from SAF and BAF but i don't think one exists.
I'll certainly look to get out and run in the local area soon, for now though i'll stick to running around the west end of town, very quiet and well lit.
05/01/2003 at 16:52
Anybody doing the Jack Crawford race on 18th Jan at Bishopbrigs, done it last year and would thourghly recomend it. Good flat course, good turn out and plenty of spot prizes(if thats your thing), also it's a Saturday race(2.30)ahh sheer bliss! should'nt every race be on a Saturday. If you fancy a break from the monotony of your winter training give it a go.
06/01/2003 at 17:18
Hi all
I am also from Scotland. Auchtermuchty in Fife. Haven't run now for 9 weeks as recovering from a DVT but have started back today. Was always very slow anyway. I have done the Smokies 10 several times. Great race and great feed afterwards. Good prize list.
Matthew I don't know if they have a web site but I think they come under Perth and Strathtay Harriers. Try phoning the Bell Sports Centre they might have some info on them.
06/01/2003 at 21:24
Hi Running Tim, what distance is the Jack Crawford Race on 18th January as Bishopbriggs is reasonably local?

P.S. Belated Christmas wish to all race organisers would it be too much trouble to add the distance to your race name! (or am I the only runner without psychic powers)

i.e. Gauldry Gallop, Hugh Wilson Memorial RR, Pitmedden Forest Race

06/01/2003 at 21:57
I'm a Scot (from new Stevenston, near Motherwell) living and working in Lancashire. I still get back home half a dozen times a year and enjoy running there in Strathclyde Park.
07/01/2003 at 08:49
TicketyBoo

The Gauldry Gallop and Pitmedden race distances and courses vary from year to year. Being rural farming communities we have to arrange with the farmers and landowners as to what land will be available for us. They are usually between 5 and 7 miles. The gauldry gallop course had to be changed a week or two before the race day itself due to pheasant shooting in the woods not being compatible with cross country running. Doesn't this make the race a little more interesting?????!
If you are desperate to know the distances involved then just give the race organisers a phone or check out Fife acs website.
07/01/2003 at 08:56
Matthew
For Perth road runners contact Jean Wainwight, 23 Gannochy road, Perth, im not sure of the phone number sorry!
Fife AC are also local to you (contact no. 01337 830306.)

07/01/2003 at 09:09
what distance is the Jack Crawford race ot Bishopbriggs on sat 18th. may take part as it is just up the road.
07/01/2003 at 09:37
Since there's all you Scots here in one place, perhaps I can ask you something -

Do energy bars taste better deep fried in batter?
21 to 40 of 33,209 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.