Scottish Runners

81 to 100 of 33,339 messages
09/01/2003 at 23:18
hi robert,

i am doing the balloch to cyldebank 1/2 marathon in march as well as the 4 polaroid 10k races down that neck of the woods. several of my friend run around that area and we all run them for a bit of good natured rivalry.

but it,s just that bit to far away for a regular running club. thanks anyway MATT.
09/01/2003 at 23:48
Gillian - thanks. I knew I couldn't do it for some reason. I go on holiday that day.
Steve. Pitmeddon is in December. You've just missed it. Its my local training ground.
10/01/2003 at 08:35
Speedy.G thanks... i'll just have to be quicker in reading teh threads.. saw somewhere that it was on the 14th (or something) but didn't give the month!!!

As for races, why do they all seem to be generally on the west coast and I live on the east?!?! doesnae seem so many on this side... shall we set up another forum for the east-side scottish runners?!!
10/01/2003 at 08:50
Steve, whereabouts do you live? I live in the east of scotland and don't really find theres a shortage of races. I find quite often theres almost too many to choose from! I can post info on up and coming races on this thread or on the events thread or email them to you if thats any help. Do you belong to a club?
10/01/2003 at 09:09
Can anyone tell me more about the 4 Polaroid 10k races. Place, Date etc...
cheers
10/01/2003 at 09:25
Hi Hill Runner

Live in Dundee, but other than the Dundee 10, I've had to travel to take part in races.. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Aberdeen... but some a bit nearer to home including Forfar, Arbroath, etc.. It's just at this time of year, there doesnae appear to be that many around this neck of the woods... unless you know otherwise?? I do check out the SAF and RW websites for up and coming races...
10/01/2003 at 10:46
I have to agree with Stevieboy there are no races on the east coast, especially at this time of year. If they do exist they are poorly advertised. The next race in this neck of the woods is the Cupar 5 which isn't until March!

-Stu.
10/01/2003 at 10:58
I thnk the organisers of races tend to plan them for spring/summer so that there is a reasonable chance they won't be snowed off. Most races are from March to October, with very few road races in the winter. There are a few hill/XC races, but as you say, they aren't well advertised.

The lists in RW are made up from races that have been notified by the organisers. I think the same goes for the lists on the SAF website. Maybe all the races attract enough runners and therefore don't need to advertise, but it seems a shame that so many of us seem to have trouble finding enough races within travelling distance when there probably are lots.

Maybe we should organise a mailshot to all clubs asking them for their race calendar, and compile a directory ourselves.
10/01/2003 at 11:11
Here are some races during jan and feb on the east of scotland. The ones marked (c) are ones for club members only.

Jan 1st every year - 3.9 mile road race
3/1 - Fife AC club champs xc but all welcome.
11/1 - East districts xc Edinburgh (c)
tbc - Pitmedden forest nightmare race contact fife ac

1/2 East Scotland xc league Alloa (c)
2/2 Haddo House xc Aberdeen
8/3 Devils burdens relay (c)
9/2 Houe of Dun xc Montrose
tbc- nightmare race Ladybank woods fife.contact fife ac for details
15/2 Carnethy 5 hill race Peniciuk (you need to enter asap)
15/2 Knigs buildings 5 mile road race Edinburgh
16/2 Kinloss - Lossiemouth 1/2 marathon
16/2 Round the houses 10k RR Grangemouth
22/2 National xc Aberdeen (c)
10/01/2003 at 11:16
Thanks for that hill runner... is there anybody from fife ac here that can answer some of these fife races... and what are nightmare races anyway - sounds like a stroll in the park?!?!!
10/01/2003 at 11:24
Sorry that should read House of Dun and Kings buildings Edinburgh.

If you are interested in joining a club Fife ac are a friendly local club as are the Dundee road runners. Dundee Hawkhill Harriers tend to be a bit elitist.

I would recommend fife ac but i am biased!
10/01/2003 at 11:48
What's the Cupar 5 (that Stu mentioned) like? It did actually catch my eye last night as I'm desperate to go in for an (organised) run... and that seems to be the first on my agenda.
10/01/2003 at 12:27
Cupar 5 is an out and back course on a very quiet and pretty much traffic free route. Theres usually a good tea laid on afterwards. Its a fairly flat course, some small hills but nothing to worry about.

The nightmare races are all about 4 or 5 miles long and are run in the dark with a headtorch. There are 2 forest trail races, one hill race, 1 beach race and 1 cross country race in the series. The courses are usually marked with tape or flour (good in theory except for last year when there was snow on the ground....!). There isnt an entry fee but there are no prizes. Usually we end up in the pub afterwards.

10/01/2003 at 12:28
PS im a member of Fife AC as if you haven't guessed!!
10/01/2003 at 12:35
hill runner, thanks for the list.

StevieBoy,
I havent done the cupar 5 but I was thinking about doing it this year (1st March). I contacted the organiser a couple of weeks ago for info in which they said..

"Cupar 5. Five-mile road race on an out and back course, which has been accurately measured. Again, just turn up on the day at the YMCA hall in Cupar Main Street, but give yourself time to reach the start which is about a mile away. All races are suitable for mixed abilities, doesn't matter how good or bad you perceive yourself to be."

-Stu.

10/01/2003 at 13:07
I agree with Nessie that organisers tend to be reluctant to have races in the winter in Scotland because they might have to cancel due to ice and snow. Went out for a steady run today and roads and paths not too bad but I would be reluctant to "race" or do speed work on surfaces which may be slippery.

Thanks for info on races in Scotland and hope to meet some of you fellow Scottish forumites in Lossiemouth in Feb or Inverness in March.
10/01/2003 at 13:28
Thanks for the info guys.. the missus is okay as there is the smokies 10 the day after the cupar 5 so unless i put on a wig and dress(!) accordingly, i'll have to consider the cupar 5....
10/01/2003 at 14:58
Those nightmare races sound like fun, running with head torches etc. How far are they?

DanielB
10/01/2003 at 16:17
Matthew Child, polaroid are my local races they are held usually on a thursday evening throughout may and june, always a good turn out(700+) and are well organised.
They are held in Helensburgh(thurs), Clydebank(thurs), Dumbarton(thurs) and Alexandria(Sun morn). I don't know exact dates yet.
For anybody not aware you can get a full fixture list of road races, xc races,hill races and contact phone numbers by sending a stamped addressed envolope to: Scottish Athletics
Caledonia House
South Gyle
Edinburgh
EH12 9DQ

Also to gain a summer list do the same come March/April

10/01/2003 at 17:52
Have done the Cupar 5 on a few occassions. Until last year I lived at a cottage just close to the turining point so it was my local training ground for many years. Really miss the routes around there now.
Hill runner - have met up with you a few times as the Mr and I used to be with Fife AC as well.
81 to 100 of 33,339 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.