Scrap heap challenge

need help with Bessie

7 messages
06/10/2004 at 17:27
Hi Forumites.

My old car 'Bessie' is in desperate need of a new distributor cap. The man in the garage has enquired and it's going to cost me £140 for a new one even without him laying a finger on her.

Bessie is dearly loved and i really don't want to have to let her go but if i can't get a second hand distributor cap i'll have no choice.

She is a G reg Fiat Panda (don't laugh, she's lovely) 1 litre model so because of her age and changes in fiat spec etc etc i'm putting out a country wide carb hunt.

Are there any Fellow runners (renowned for liking carbs) who own a scrap yard or know of a wonderous scrap yard which may have my part please put on your thinking caps and contact me at stanley369@btopenworld.com if you can help.

Here's hoping Bessie can be saved from the crap heap for another year.

Splodge
06/10/2004 at 17:29
oops typs's.

I obviously meant 'cap hunt' and maybe crap heap was a freudian slip :o)
cougie    pirate
06/10/2004 at 17:41
Oooh - now the Internet is fantastic for this - a few years back I needed summat obscure for a Toyota and put a request in thru an online Breakers yard site and before lunch was over - I had 3 people calling me to sell me it. It's all interconnected and fantastic.

Try googling breakers yard or summat and you'll find something similar.
06/10/2004 at 18:09
Cheers Cougie

I've done just that and put in requests to about half a dozen sites so hopefully i'll hear something tomorrow.

Fingers crossed eh!!
I knew the forunites would be able to help :o)
06/10/2004 at 19:15
When we need anything obscure for our rustbucket we just go to the scrap yard, ask for what we want, and they climb over the pile of mangled Toyotas (yes, another Toyota) and always find what we´re after.

06/10/2004 at 20:18
I've tried all the local options LizzyB and all to no avail :0(

Just hope the net can come up with something
06/10/2004 at 20:46
Try the web address below, Splodge. This place seems to be able to supply them. Don't know exactly what model Bessie is, but looking at some of the prices it'll be a LOT cheaper than £140.

http://www.quitegood.com/menu.php?seshid=173c1ff938eead555d8b44e886a67271&supplierRef=probedistributors&cat1=Motoring&cat2=Parts%20n%20Accessories-Distributors&category=FIAT&subCategory=DISTRIBUTOR%20CAP&subSubCategory=PANDA

Good luck.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.