Seejays Strollers

Keeping our group together

3,221 to 3,240 of 4,320 messages
01/09/2012 at 23:02

ffRAN glad the run went well

02/09/2012 at 20:05

Hi everyone, sorry I have been such a stranger since I came back but things have been a little hectic at work and home.

I have a great time in Russia, flight was an experience as it was the first time I have ever flown for more than 1 hr. Flew through a thunderstorm coming into Moscow so we couldnt see anything of the coty and hit a massive turbulance on the way in, half the women on board screamed!!!!! Flight back was good with no real dramas other than me realising I had lost my ipod nano somewhere!!!!!! Anyway the job was done and the team got silver behind the Russians and ahead of the Germans. Visited some monasteries, convents and churches, some wonderful carvings but unfortunately we couldnt take photos, the church elders were very instant about that!!!!!!!!!!!!

My trainers never left the case as I just didnt have the time so just did my club run on thurs night. I have just received my Cardiff 10K number so decided to try a quick 10K on saturday to see what I can maybe expect. I did a tough run but managed the 10K in 51 mins, thats on 3 off my pb!!!!!! Shocked and well chuffed does not describe how I fel!!!!!! I will try to put a few pics from Russia but took so many it will only be one or two!!!!!

Well done to everyone, you al seem to be putting in some good training and mileages. Nessie I hope hubbie is well and you manage to get some running in while away!!!

02/09/2012 at 20:07

I just tried to download a picture and it wont accept files more than 250kb, most of my pics are over 1mb!!!!!!!

03/09/2012 at 03:28

Seejay glad you had a good time

03/09/2012 at 16:29

Afternoon all

Well should have been just 3 for me today but as i was passing pop into the car rental place to confirm that the booking we had made online last night had gone through

We decided to rent a car to drive to Newcastle as ours is only small and getting two suite cases my running gear and a box of food in the boot may prove difficult and it saves ware and tear on ours

trouble was i thought i turn my Garmin back on it was only when i looked at it i realized i hadn’t so i turn it back on and kept going till it read 3 miles when i got home a edited the map and it turn out to be 5.3 miles so that’s my long run done for this

Can’t believe the GNR is 2 weeks this Sunday just gone when i entered it in December last year

05/09/2012 at 08:26

Morning all, sorry I've not been on here much. Had an extended camping weekend down in Lyme Regis  Looks like everyone is running well atm. I'm still taking it really steady, having managed 6 runs since I last posted. Nothing more than 3½ miles, but feeling really comfortable in the abdominal area now, so time to gradually increase the miles. Hope to be running 10k+ by the end of the month. Then I've given myself 8 weeks to try and inject some pace before the Castle Combe 10k at the end of November. I hope you're all well!

05/09/2012 at 22:07

Chris, well done, wonderful restraint, I am sure it will pay off in the end!!!! I am off to Cardiff this weekend, fingers crossed I am feeling good!!!

Toby, I have done that loads of times, even in races!!!! I even forgot mine on tuesday night and didnt realise until I went to start it at the beginning of the run!!!

Slow easy run leading the social group on Tuesday, about 4 miles in around 45 mins and it felt good so quite happy. Will do 10k slowish tomorrow (thurs) so I dont take too much out of myself for Sunday. The club is having a 5K racr down the towpath from Greville Smyth park on Fri, its a predicted time race. You decide what time you are going to do and without the aid of watches or other timing aids the one closest to their predicted time wins!!!!! Decided to try it but just go nice and slow!!!!!!

06/09/2012 at 04:52

Morning all

Well opted for the 6 mile option yesterday as i have to pick up my son from school on  Fridaynd take him down the train station he’s off to see his sister in Leicester for the weekend lovely day sun was out thought i struggled but to my surprise the whole run only took me 55:59 with an Avg pace of 9:14 m/m

so well pleased but have to say i do seem to be struggling for pace over all at the moment and running no were near as fast when training for Brighton at this stage

Edited: 06/09/2012 at 04:59
06/09/2012 at 08:20

Best of luck for Sunday SeeJay  What sort of time are you aiming for?

I do know how you feel Toby re pace. I was struggling earlier this year, then it just came.

I'm not pushing things to hard at the moment, but I am aiming to run 3 miles tonight and 4 miles on Saturday at about 8:45 pace. My plan is to get to the end of the month running about 7 miles at that pace and then in Oct/Nov try and integreate some intervals and threshold work to try and get my pace up!

Have a good day everyone!

07/09/2012 at 22:11
I have posted a few times but wifi signal poor in my bedroom and Safari unconnected. Too tired to argue so lost messages
Toby, I think you will surprise yourself a week Sunday! Say 'hi' to Mo and Haile for me.
CB - good foundations for a brilliant comeback. Sounds like you're feeling much better.
Seejay- that sounds like such an interesting race! I don't know how I would manage. I'm really good at guessing mileage/ distance without my Garmin, but pace, I'm rubbish! I think I'm running really fast and it's slow,then when I'm just going out for an amble, I manage some really quick (for me) times. I would be useless.
Had a great week training. I did 21 Saturday, feeling absolutely great. I got my nutrition spot on for once. I have decided to stop trying to find a magic formula in gels....I have tried nearly all and they give me chronic stomach pain and some even make me vomit. Good old jam or marmite sandwiches work a treat, but not so easy to pack for a long run. After a mega speed/ interval session Monday, we did a really fast and hilly tempo Tuesday and a MSR yesterday. Easy 5 tonight totalling 48 for the week. Another long one tomorrow, longest next Saturday then taper! Easy peasy (?????) Running good but work awful! I've worked 17 hours over my conditioned hours this week - really stressed, but running a release.
Have a good weekend all.
08/09/2012 at 10:31

Morning all - what a lovely day.

Haven't been around much as been on hols and started new job. Hols were good, lot's of relaxing, walks and a few plods as well.

Job is great but very busy and am commuting to Bristol for the next few months - so 14 hour days

Nevermind, it's exciting.

Hope everyone is well, haven't been able to go through the old posts.

08/09/2012 at 16:37

Afternoon all

went out with the O/H today the idea was for her do a 6 mile run at race pace with me pacing her she was aiming for 13m/m but we had to give up after 3.5 it never went well from the word go first her legs hurt then it was to hot then she was having trouble breathing

In the end we decided it was not worth going on with it and came home looking at the 3.5 miles we did the run took us 47:51 with an Avg pace of 14:05

08/09/2012 at 18:52
Any run a good run, Toby! Tell Mrs T well done - it'll be fine on the day, I'm sure..
Nice to hear from you, Kev - glad job going well.
I had a poor run today - just tired, I think.
09/09/2012 at 21:17

Chris, I had a time in my head but it was way out of reach at the moment, I ended up with a chip time of 50:32 and 848th out of 2735 runners so cant be upset with that!!!! Got a couple of weeks to get better before Swansea!! Are you feeling comfortable at that pace or are you having any minor issues? Sounds like you have planned it well and hopefully it will work out, comebacks from surgery are always fraught with problems that don't show up until the long runs come into play. I am still waiting for mine to come!!!!

Toby, dont let this little set back spoil things for your wife, just get out and do a slow short run just to get her confidence back. Once she is happy with t again then slowly bring her back up again. She will be fine, we all have minor setbacks at the start!!!

Kev, good to hear from you, 14 hr days are not amusing, specially when you are trying to fit family and running at the same time!!!!

Ffran, the race was fun last year and great practice for steady paced running, always a challenge for any runner. They got it a little wrong this year as the turn guy placed himself at the wrong spot, about 150 mts past the real point, which of course spoilt everyone's time estimate!!!! With regards nutrition, I seem to remember Runners World doing a piece on it and how to make up a nutritional drink for yourself, saves trying to eat butties on a long run!!!

10/09/2012 at 10:58
Hi gang - all doing well i see - some good runs there Seej and everyone x
Back from hols with sore throat and bad guts!!!!
Managed quite a lot of runs and cycles - no great distance but very hilly and hot!!!!
One particular cycle turned into a duathalon !!!!!! Had cycled approx 9.5k and reached the top of a monster hill and bike chain came off and i couldnt get it back on so decided to run a back to the gite - shorter route back was approx 3miles - so i was surprised legs felt ok to be able to run straight off bike!!!!!
Ttfn nessie x
11/09/2012 at 03:33

morning all

well just 2 miles for me yesterday took me longer to get ready what with the stretches than it did to do the run same again today and tomorrow then nothing till Sunday

12/09/2012 at 08:27

Ffran, feeling much better thanks. You're certainly putting in the miles. Don't think I could ever have that commitment!

Kev, sounds like your working week is hard, hope it doesn't take too much out of your running.

Toby, I agree totally with SeeJay, I have friends who fid it so difficult to get back into it after a lay-off. Running is such a mental game as well.

SeeJay, great comeback considering all that you've been through. Well done! I'm feeling quite comfortable now, no adverse reactions thanks and hopefully I can gradually increase the miles. Aiming to be at about a comfortable 7 by the end of the month.

Nessie, keep at it!

I've managed 2 runs since I last posted. 4 miles last Saturday in 34:09 (ave 8:33) and a fartlek session last night 4.6 miles in 39:09 (ave 8:31). A bit of hill work planned for tomorrow and then 5 miles on the flat on Saturday.

Hope you're all good!

12/09/2012 at 13:19

Morning all

Well may just have a rest day today as i over slept and do the 2 miles tomorrow as i have now booked Thursday night of i had my number for Bristol green again which puts me at the front of the wave 2 start which is a bit of a pain as my friend who i was hoping to pace is in the yellow start in wave one so she would have started 30 minutes in front of me

Will have to see what she wants to do as yellow numbers can only join the pink start right at the back of wave 2

12/09/2012 at 21:09

Nessie, lovely to hear from you again, glad you had a good holiday and impressive duathlon!!!! I hope your guts and throat get better soon!!! Have you entered Christmas Cracker yet??

Chris, thats great news that no adverse reactions, lets hope it stays that way!!!! Certainly sounds like your training is going ok. I am a little hindered in that by taking the social group at running I must keep the pace down however they have been warned that my thursday runs will be getting longer and quicker over the next few weeks.

Best of luck for Sunday Toby, hopefully all your perciverence will pay off. thats one thing I di dislike about the staggered start at Bristol, if you plan to run with someone they have to be in the same pace group as you. I do like the staggered start as it eases the congestion in the early stages.

Is anyone doing Swansea 10K in two weeks? I also notice Longleat entries are open already!!!!!!! Social group again tomorrow night at the club and then a quick 10K on Sunday morning!!!!

14/09/2012 at 13:42

Did some hill work last night, ½ mile warm-up followed by 8x1 min reps uphill, with slow jogs/rest in between and ½ mile cool-down. Covered just under 3 miles in all. Calfs are feeling it a bit now, but hopefully it will pay off in the long term. 5 mile run planned for tomorrow.

Hope you're all keeping good.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.