Seejays Strollers

Keeping our group together

3,721 to 3,740 of 4,320 messages
25/02/2013 at 21:33
Evening all.
Been keeping up with my 5 runs a week and did a very bleak and solitary 12 miles Friday up a very beautiful and spectacular mountain. Genuinely felt my eyeballs were freezing over! I had a very slow run where I seemed to get colder and colder. Not helped by stopping to watching a guy on the top of the 800 m climb, exercising his hawk. Fascinating... Kept me entranced for about 10 mins. Yesterday, I did 5.2 mile x country race with my niece. She was visiting from Kent and we'd promised a run together since she started seriously running a few weeks ago. So the fact she finished a VERY hilly and tough race, I was a very proud aunt. We came in last but 2 but finishing was the goal. Really chuffed.
Tonight's speed session was a lot of fun. Again felt like poo to start but got stronger as it progressed.
Toby, my OH's leave has been cancelled this weekend so thank goodness daughter already ensconced in new home! I COULD try a late entry for the Half, but I really lack confidence and don't think I could cope with a poor performance. Will def be there to support so I'll message you to meet up. (Is it too late to cancel booked lodgings and stay with Chez Moi.?)
Well done Ness on Half entry. You will be fab. You are improving so much and happy birthdays all the Nessletsxxxx My eldest is 37 today- how come when I only feel 34????
Seejay, your VLM will be an event to enjoy. Your training is getting on track after all your setbacks and you will be great.
Kev- will you be at Llanelli?
25/02/2013 at 22:20
Hi ffRAN. Oliver has a footie match on Sunday so won't be at half. Remember also that its based out of Parc Y Scarlets this year
26/02/2013 at 08:19

First of all, apologies for not posting, been a bit hectic recently

I managed a 4½ mile run last Thursday as part of my tapering, then on Saturday I'd planned on running 8 miles, my last 'long' run before Bath Half this coming Sunday. after about 5 miles my right calf started playing up a bit, so I eased off the pace and got to about 6 miles before it went into spasm. I pulled over, stretched and carried on slowly. After 7 miles I decided to walk No real pain, got home stretched, iced and rolled it. Sunday, I could feel a sore spot, so decided it was probably a knot rather than a tear (I've had a calf tear before and it was really painful). Since then I've worked it by stretching, rolling and icing. It feels ok today, but I've decided not to run, I'll see how it is tomorrow, but I may well not run now until Sunday. I can't quite believe this has happened, given all the training, but hopefully it will be ok. I'll just have to wait and see.

I hope you're all ok.

26/02/2013 at 12:16

CB-1964 hope the calf sorts it self out probable the best plan to rest up til Sunday

26/02/2013 at 17:06
Yes, CB, take care. The miles are in the bank - your fitness will not deteriorate in the last few days and you will only have benefits from the rest.
Be confident! Be strong! You will be wonderful!!!
26/02/2013 at 17:07
Kev, I had remembered about Parc. Hope Oliver does well.
26/02/2013 at 17:08
Kev, I had remembered about the start/finish at the Parc. Hope Oliver does well.
27/02/2013 at 04:05

morning all

5 mile recovery run on the treadmill yesterday just 4 today my new running shoes and running tights arrived yesterday will have to give the a go today as it's only a very short run

27/02/2013 at 11:19
Fran - i would always say - act your shoe size not your age LOL so im 5 1/2 ha ha whats u?
Good run Fran 12 miles in this cold - u have some determination girl x
Toby - determined as ever - youll be flying round
CB good to hear from u again- really hope u sort leg out.
Did pool session on tues and this morn did my first run of my training plan - well think i need to find a flat route for this as the woukout was 10mins easy followed by 8mins at threshold pace then repeat - well i tried but struggled a bit as the inclines all came at the threshold part but when i finished the time was 37.02 - imagine my surprise when i looked back at the previous times for this route - they were 38-39 and even 40 mins!!!
Life in the old girl yet hey????
Lol i know its a long way off a half but at least its a start????
Take care everyone
Ttfn nessie x
27/02/2013 at 19:12
Hope to shout you on Toby!
Flipping well done, Ness- brilliant result. As you said, great for a 5.5 year old!
28/02/2013 at 05:53
Morning all.
Evening off last night. Weights class and short run after work later.
28/02/2013 at 07:39
Advice please gang - ive been reading up about Jeff Galloways Run/Walk/Run programme - has anyone tried it? Its where u run for so many mins then walk for 1 min and so on. Or someone advised run for 1 mile then walk for 1 min? Im wondering whether to use this method for training for half and then would probably benefit from this for my really big effort for my 60th???? Whay you think guys????
Off to pool this morn - tempted to try run/walk/ run today but maybe i should wait till tomo???
Feeling legs after run yesterday and form the walk the day before (up a practically vertical climb up a grassy hill to give Roobs a good run out and change of scenery !!!!!)
Ta Nessie x
01/03/2013 at 12:17
Well i tried the Run/walk/Run this morn. My route took 72.28 mins and previous times for this route have been 74 - 75 &even 77 mins !!!! Interesting????
Ttfn nessie x
Ps hope everyone ok x
01/03/2013 at 12:21
Oooops forgot to say the ratio was Run 5mins - walk 1 min
And boy oh boy does that 1 min fly by!!!!
The 5 mins of running ALL corresponded with all the uphills and the 1 min of walk always seemed to be on the flat or downhill !!!!! Def need to get that reversed????
Ness x
01/03/2013 at 22:04
Very interesting as you say Nessie. Let us know how you get on.
02/03/2013 at 08:11

Morning all

Well off to Llanelli later today looking forward to a weekend a way then it’s back into the marathon training with a vengeance next week with a 5 mile run Monday and Wednesday a 10 mile Tuesday a 20 on Friday or i may push to 22 and then out whit the O/H on Saturday to keep her company as she has another 18 mile run to do

02/03/2013 at 08:45
Good luck Toby. Hope you enjoy our beautiful coastline
02/03/2013 at 11:00
Good luck Toby
Well i rode horsie this morn and all appears well. Shewas sound and really striding out - walking steps had great purpose - sooooo hopefully shes on the mend.
Plan to try my Run/walk/Run programme again tomo on my longer run. Fingers crossed it goes aswell as yesterdays???
Off now to do judge writing at dressage competition - no rest for the wicked hey!!!!
Ttfn nessie xx
03/03/2013 at 20:35

Nessie, personally I would only use walk run to get back into running but that is only me and as you know I have always said that we all run different ways and different things suit different people. As Kev syas, give it a try and see how it goes but your method of 5 run, 1 walk sounds good and will certainly help. Try upping the run bit to six and maybe 1:30 and so on just to increase your threshold. As I say it is a good way to lead to something, I did it when I came back from injury and it certainly has made life easier getting back into my stride!!!! ps, I am only 10!!!

Toby, how did it go at Llanelli? If it was anything like Bristol it must have been freezing!!!!!

Chris, well done mate, I wont say anything about Bath but I hope you are not suffering afterwards!!!!

Ffran, I kow exactly how you feel weatherwise, I really suffered today on my long run as it seems every run is done in freezing conditions with no respite.. Maybe I am just getting too soft in my old age!!!!

I forgot to apologise for not paying you lovely people much attention, I am really struggling getting into my training this time. I am hoping it is just down to the weather and the fact I am squeezing so many long runs in without a break. Did my easy recovery last monday and that was ok, then did a quick 9 miles on Thursday which includes a tough hill in it but it felt ok. Then this morning started my 16 mile run in -3, really struggled to get warmed up and throught the run. To my surprise though on the last mile which includes about 1/2 mile uphill section we where doing 9 min miles and then on the last downhill section we managed a quick run. Overall the run took 2:37 mins so although it was tough it was quicker than I had planned it to be. Anyway we have decided to just do a couple of easy 10K recovery runs this week and than a 10mile easy on Sunday before we get into the second half of the training. Only 7 weeks to go so I suppose it will only get tougher from now until the taper so I suppose the fact I have no adverse reactions on the Mondays and still able to run during the week is a big plus!!!!!

04/03/2013 at 07:11
Hopefully things are on the up Seejay. .

Hope Toby enjoyed Llanelli yesterday.

Short week this week. Off to Scotland on Friday for Rugby
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.