SENSIBLE question on minimal shoes - NO TROLLS PLEASE!

I really just one to ask one question without starting a flame war

1 to 20 of 31 messages
16/03/2013 at 17:03

I have been running for about 2 years now (background is fairly competitive cycling) and so far (fingers-crossed) no injuries, pains, etc.  Until last month, it was unstructured - just going out when I felt like it, making up my route, distance, speed as I felt.

I have seen some New Balance 101 minimal trail shoes for £20 and thought that they are cheap enough to 'have a go'.  So, I don't 'need' to fix any problems - I just thought it's a cheap introduction.

QUESTION: Am i going to benefit from this at all?  Is there any other advantage to minimal shoes other than injury-prevention?  Is it more fun, or faster, or better for the environment?

And please don't turn this into another thread like the last one.   Thanks!

kittenkat    pirate
16/03/2013 at 17:10

Do you like chicken?

16/03/2013 at 17:14

Er, yes.  Why?

kittenkat    pirate
16/03/2013 at 17:24

I just like to know.

Also, any running shoe for £20 isn't going to be any good, minimal or not?

Edited: 16/03/2013 at 17:25
16/03/2013 at 17:28

It is reduced from £50-60 in a sale.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/NEW699D/new-balance-mte101-(d)-trail-running-shoes/

It' this one (but not from there).

Do you like chicken?

kittenkat    pirate
16/03/2013 at 17:30

They're not really minimal though, just lightweight?

My like/dislike of chicken depends on the packaging.

16/03/2013 at 17:52

As KK says, it's not strictly 'barefoot', but it may have less cushioning than what you're runnning in now, so take it easy before you get used to it. 

I personally like minimalist(ish) shoes, with low profile and low heel-forefoot drop, and I think they can help if you want to move to more midfoot/forefoot striking. However, neither shoes, nor midfoot/forefoot striking though are the only acceptable way of running and certainly no recipe for injury free runnng -  there is more to right technique than how the foot lands. 

16/03/2013 at 18:07

Thanks, goji.  By moving to a more mid/forefoot strike, can you go faster?  I know that when I sprint, I am up at the front of my foot, but the longer I go, the further back that gets.  Is there an advantage to running say, 1/2 marathons in skinny shoes/on the front of your feet?

Thx

kittenkat    pirate
16/03/2013 at 18:08

I would actually barefoot run because I'm very light and neutral, however living on a farm as I do, the horse and cow shit would be warm and friendly feeling, but the lanes are full of grit and crap.

Serious question, where do barefoot runners actually run in the UK? If you just say the beach I'm not even thinking about exposing my hobbit feet. Everyone goes barefoot on the beach, give me some more hardcore examples.

kittenkat    pirate
16/03/2013 at 18:11
DiscountRunner wrote (see)

Thanks, goji.  By moving to a more mid/forefoot strike, can you go faster?  I know that when I sprint, I am up at the front of my foot, but the longer I go, the further back that gets.  Is there an advantage to running say, 1/2 marathons in skinny shoes/on the front of your feet?

Thx

I would go further and run on your tiptoes. Minimal contact at a fast pace, the physics will fit.

16/03/2013 at 18:11

I live in Copenhagen and I never see anyone running barefoot!  The Nike shoes with the wobbly soles are really popular in the gyms (mainly cross-fit types), but the outside runners wear more traditional shoes.  But it's been in the minus figures for the last 3-4 months, so frostbite would be a serious issue if you ran for a couple of hours.

No idea in the UK - I imagine playing fields and other short-cut grass?

kittenkat    pirate
16/03/2013 at 18:14
DiscountRunner wrote (see)

I live in Copenhagen and I never see anyone running barefoot!  The Nike shoes with the wobbly soles are really popular in the gyms (mainly cross-fit types), but the outside runners wear more traditional shoes.  But it's been in the minus figures for the last 3-4 months, so frostbite would be a serious issue if you ran for a couple of hours.

No idea in the UK - I imagine playing fields and other short-cut grass?

What is Copenhagen like, I've never been there.

16/03/2013 at 18:19

It's lovely - expensive, but higher salaries help offset the taxes. Still pricy for a visit, but worth it.  Very egalitarian.   Design capital of the world (even the chairs in the public libraries are Arne Jacobsen!)  55% of all journeys made by bike (I am in love!) - people go to work, shops, cinemas, night-clubs by bike.  It's chilly at the moment, but the summers are nice - we are on an island with forests and fjords and not so many people.  For a capital, it's quiet and relaxed.  A very nice change from London!

kittenkat    pirate
16/03/2013 at 18:21

I'm not really a city person, I've avoided living and working in them for my entire life. But to visit for a weekend, you've just put it on my list.

Edited: 16/03/2013 at 18:22
16/03/2013 at 18:24

Good!  I've only been here for 5 months, but have visited a lot of times before.  Everyone speaks English, they love quality food and cosy cafe-culture.  Hard to describe 'hygge' but it's cosiness - think candles, blankets, cushions and soft-lighting.  And that's just the seats outside the cafes!

If you ever want to visit, let me know - I'll see if I can help!

kittenkat    pirate
16/03/2013 at 18:25

Thank you, that's very kind.

16/03/2013 at 18:36

I have a pair of sketchers 'go running' shoes - I wear either these, or my newtons or fully fletched asics nimbus and I switch between the 3.  I am a chi-running devotee - not really barefoot running.

But - the sketchers are addicitve - I can't bear to run on a treadmill in anthing else now - the feel so fabby and light - I feel like my heels can float up in them like nobodies business.

16/03/2013 at 18:37

Will have to look-up chi-running - I haven't heard of this.

16/03/2013 at 18:55

oooooo it's brill

I tell everyone about it - I am a chi-bore 

16/03/2013 at 21:08

The minimalist shoes do seem to be expensive - especially as it is the the shoe companies who have for years flooded the market with their technical shoes and sold us the idea of pronation etc - perhaps instead of looking at the so called bare foot shoes, a pair of racing flats would do the job just as well - (having read the Jim Peters biography Plimsolls on Eyeballs out - I am seriously tempted to buy a traditional pair of plimsolls)

1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.