Setting up a Hare and Tortoise

5 messages
05/05/2014 at 17:21

I used to run in a Hare and Tortoise "race" every week with work. It was a timed 5k where everyone was back timed to cross the line at the same time. 

I'm looking to create this as an evening training run inviting friends - ideally I'd like not to have to have a timer person and thought I could possibly do this by having a circular route and leaving a cheapish stopwatch hanging on a gate or whatever. The idea being the first person past the line becomes the timer. I take it there are no low cost cheap RFID solutions that I could live with being stolen whilst we're out running?

Does anyone have any tips for running such an event?

08/05/2014 at 23:27

I can't see why it wouldn't work... or you could just get everybody to wear watches and time themselves.

AW3
09/05/2014 at 09:21

That's a great idea, I've never heard of that before.

So it's a staggered start based on your estimated finishing time? Just make sure everyone's estimates are accurate and you won't need a timer!

09/05/2014 at 09:27

Our club does this for an event in the run up to Xmas and there is a lot of friendly competition.  There is even a trophy awarded  We do have "official timing", but you wouldn't necessarily need it if everyone was realistic with their expected finishing times.  

09/05/2014 at 09:57
My first though was that it sounds like a faff for a training run- but it actually is a great training idea because it means learning to stick to the planned pace and not train harder than planned. You obviously need to tell people the proposed finish time, get them to decide their planned pace and then calculate what time they need to start.
As most folk have some kind of sports watch it shouldn't be hard to pair people up so that they finish at roughly the right time.

One eventuality that just popped into my head as it affected my old club when trying to use this method for club championship 5ks, was that certain a group of (not very slow and not very fast)women just wanted to run together and chat so they ignored the instructions copmpletely, set off with the slowest runner and finished together. As the slowest woman was different every week- the majority if women had bizarre looking results in the league table.
I imagine that a training run would make this more likely- but at least finishing synths same time is the only point.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.